Massive FPS loss, and Weird Mouse Movement

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    maybe you're onto something with the fullscreen thing, but in reality I think raw input just isn't working and we're playing with the mouse going through the engine and since the engine is doing other things your input isn't being taken into account first which is causing the delay/stutters

While raw input was just taking your input from windows itself afaik (hardware read)

or i'm a complete idiot who should stop typing cause i have no idea what i'm saying :P
  • myklmykl Join Date: 2005-04-05 Member: 47584Members
    The same exact thing has been happening to me. Very weird mouse movement, just like V-Sync is on, but it's not. I tried all of the suggestions in this thread but nothing has worked. Has anyone found a reliable fix for this? I was going to donate through the reinforcement program, but I won't now until this gets fixed. I can't even play the game anymore.
  • BunnyglompBunnyglomp Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175034Members
    Well, before this update I was running 55-75fps. And now im lucky to get 30 (didnt change a thing). My mouse movements are slow (like their on ice) and its sicking to even spin anymore.

I love this game, but whatever you did broke it and broke it hard for me. I cant play this until its fixed.
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    phoenixbbs wrote: »
    The input lag and microstuttering is apparently caused - at least in part - by using aero in windows - windows doesn't allow the game to automatically use the resources properly, even if it's full screen. The workaround is to find the executable and "disable desktop composition" in it's file properties here;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\NS2.exe

Thanks to Samusdroid (Orphan Black) for picking up on this ! :-)

Hmm, seems like it fixed it for me or at least greatly reduced the lag (tested with 24 players so far in dx11). The input lag is still very prominent in dx9 though (didn't notice any difference to be honest).
  • DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    The input lag and microstuttering is apparently caused - at least in part - by using aero in windows - windows doesn't allow the game to automatically use the resources properly, even if it's full screen. The workaround is to find the executable and "disable desktop composition" in it's file properties here;

Yup that was it. Thank you! :)
  • wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
    Uhm I didn't notice any input lag, both in DX9 and DX11.
    Playing full screen, with Windows Aero on, Raw input unchecked (has always been so)
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    wopwop wrote: »
    Uhm I didn't notice any input lag, both in DX9 and DX11.
    Playing full screen, with Windows Aero on, Raw input unchecked (has always been so)

It's raw input not working is what it seems, so since you never used raw input you probably don't notice any difference

raw input is more reliable in terms of proper mouse input; with it not working it's not really something I can personally play/enjoy a game with
  • myklmykl Join Date: 2005-04-05 Member: 47584Members

Does this work in windows 8? I don't see the option.
  • HerZeLeiDHerZeLeiD Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184362Members

This fixed it for me, even in DX9 mode :)

• SynVisionsSynVisions Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    I've tried everything in this thread to no avail. Guess it's time to shelve NS2 until they fix the issues. :(

Also what the heck happened to skulk movement? It feels super sluggish and floaty now.
  • KnighterKnighter Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187252Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Some performance fixes should be top priorities in my opinion. I'm having about 70-80% FPS drop in teamfights, large areas. I really like the new content, but these issues are very annoying :\
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    I'm also getting a problem with the E command for jumping into the commander's chair. Previously it was fluid but now it's a b!tch. Just lost a match because I couldn't get it in time to trip a beacon!
    =((((((((
  • NazrudinNazrudin Join Date: 2009-09-17 Member: 68811Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    HerZeLeiD wrote: »

This fixed it for me, even in DX9 mode :)

I tried this and it actually works, for me at least so if any of you have not tried it, do it.

Input lag got decreased by a huge amount for me, like 80% but it's still there, I can feel it but at least I can aim now. However my crossfire is STILL not working.

Thanks alot.

(Edit: Rubberbanding still present)

• SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    You're definitely not alone, i normally get 100-180fps ingame, was just playing on Docking and was down to 60fps. (LOL) while still using DX9.. i'm SO happy that fps stuttering is back and performance is down for me.. Woop woop... ;/
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thought I'd share how I confirmed full screen is bugged.

249 fullscreen http://imgur.com/a/lwckS 249 fullscreen windowed http://imgur.com/a/lyRbv 254 fullscreen http://imgur.com/a/DogFK

As you can see, 249 windowed fullscreen is the SAME as 254 fullscreen +- a few FPS.
  • notyourbuddynotyourbuddy Join Date: 2013-04-17 Member: 184868Members
    Feels like the camera is on ice skates as if some kind of stupid acceleration/smoothing is being applied making it feel extremely unresponsive.

Impossible to accurately aim in a game all about aiming! Bummer. Hope its fixed soon.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    uninstall aero. Causes problems in each and every game
  • niitzeniitze Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185839Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Same problemz here, also for some reason can't switch between fullscreen, fullscreen windowed and windowed at all. Dunno if that has something to do with the issues...
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited August 2013
    I've got the same problems. Good thing is that they know it:
    We are working hard on getting fixes out ASAP.

• HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    niitze wrote: »
    Same problemz here, also for some reason can't switch between fullscreen, fullscreen windowed and windowed at all. Dunno if that has something to do with the issues...

Yep... same problem here.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I disabled Aero and performance magically icreased from unplayable to acceptable. If only I knew that before. I bet I'd do wonders in 249-251 times.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited August 2013
    Disabling aero/desktop composition helped a lot!

Still this is something that should be fixed proper. This is actually playable now, but having to disable aero in a game released well after windows vista (6 years ago!) is... iffy.
  • CoelispexCoelispex Join Date: 2013-07-17 Member: 186172Members, Reinforced - Supporter

This worked for me. Awesome. I can play properly now. F*** yeah!
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    We won't be able to get this fixed until after PAX unfortunately but it's definitely the #1 priority bug right now and everyone is aware of it.
  • UzverUzver Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172632Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited September 2013
    mykl wrote: »

Does this work in windows 8? I don't see the option.
    There is no way to disable this feature for specific program in Win8. And no way to normally disable compositions Win8. You can just do an unstable tricks to disable composition in Win8 that actually works, but you will lose desktop environment (because a new explorer.exe in Win8 can't work without compositions).
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    More reasons to never upgrade from windows 7.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Did anyone else's mouse sensitivity change after the patch, regardless of input lag.
  • NazrudinNazrudin Join Date: 2009-09-17 Member: 68811Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Desther wrote: »
    Did anyone else's mouse sensitivity change after the patch, regardless of input lag.

Really hard to tell when you have the input lag.

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nazrudin wrote: »

You tried the aero fix?
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Nazrudin wrote: »

You tried the aero fix?

I did, it helped alot but there's still input lag, ontop of that the crossfire is not working for me in 252, 253 and 254.

But the fix made it so it's playable at least.