Biodome first impressions

Comments

• RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    edited August 2013
    Biodome is GORGEOUS. Holy COW. It is BEAUTIFUL.

I agree that the location names need a lot of work. Here are my suggestions:

bjtXvJk.jpg

"Exchange" could also be "Atmosphere" because people would just say "Atmo."
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    no Tree is called Abortion
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    Location names got debated over a fair bit during production. For example: Arboretum used to be called Tree Tubes, but I got over ruled on that one. Can't pronounce a location? Blame Olmy :P
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    People kept going on about dumbing down the game, yet they can't pronounce Arboretum.

I'll forgive the international non English speakers.

:P
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited August 2013
    It's not that there's anything I can't pronounce, although I do have a stronger vocabulary than many people online (most of them can't even sound out my name). The problem is that it takes too long. By the time I've said "Fade at Arb.or.et.um" he's probably already gone, and I don't think "arb" is going to be understandable.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    So now they have to make it for oculus rift...
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    lol placenames are too long? simplify and call them room 1-10? :)

like in competitive TF2, the most popular map and the most critical point (centre) has a location known universally as 'sh*thouse'.
    edited August 2013
    dux wrote: »
    Location names got debated over a fair bit during production. For example: Arboretum used to be called Tree Tubes, but I got over ruled on that one. Can't pronounce a location? Blame Olmy :P
    Uh excuse me Tree Tubes is an amazing name. Olmy is a silly person. Do you hear me, @Olmy? YOU ARE SILLY!
  • OlmyOlmy Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16142Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Developer, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    :O well Arboretum is 'Canopy' now. Canopy Bridge is just 'Bridge'.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    I can't wait to try it, if it really plays like Summit it will quickly become my second favorite map. \

I do share the same problem with the room names, though. Summit's rooms have perfect names, you rarely have to day more than 1-2 syllables: flight, data, cross, crevice, sub. Names like "arboretum," "biosphere platform," "atmosphere exchange," and "hydroponics" are too long and awkward to say.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2013
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    lol placenames are too long? simplify and call them room 1-10? :)

We used to have a "Lab 1" and "Lab 2" and it was a really bad time. Never name things numbers, ever.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Olmy wrote: »
    :O well Arboretum is 'Canopy' now. Canopy Bridge is just 'Bridge'.

Why not tree tubes? There are three obvious shortcuts for it: Tree, Tubes and TT. I think if we can make up some more, we can outweigh the other names :D
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    "Tree tubes" sounds pretty stupid out of context, though. At least canopy is fairly poetic in a way. "Forest" would have been a pretty cool name.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    0uyz.jpg

Notice how this map is very similar to this map:

ri92.jpg

There are no vents in the south portion and other sections of the map close to it.

This map like decent is so “bright………… and colorful………….. and don’t care,” too much of the map is designed to look nice. Many of the map sections are so lit up with natural lighting so that even if the power goes out it doesn’t get dark. Far, far, far too much glass, with alien vision as bad as it is now aliens that use it are just going to be constantly running into walls. As big as the map is you can only play in about half of it, the other half are just places you can’t go but at least it looks nice.
    "Tree tubes" sounds pretty stupid out of context, though. At least canopy is fairly poetic in a way. "Forest" would have been a pretty cool name.
    That's why it's such an awesome name! It sounds silly! Silly stuff owns.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    RadimaX wrote: »

arbor, arboris = tree
    Or at least that's what I remember from the Bellum Gallicum days...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    RadimaX wrote: »

arbor, arboris = tree
    Or at least that's what I remember from the Bellum Gallicum days...

Note that it's a femininum, not a masculinum, as the word would imply :-B
  • MostlySilentMostlySilent Join Date: 2013-03-09 Member: 183814Members, NS2 Playtester
    I wanted to name Bamboo Alley/Pass.

"Adorable Bear Sustenance Storage"
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I was playing as alien earlier. I was in Hydroponics.
    Comm said, "They're in Biosphere killing my harvester."
    I said, "I'm on it!" I opened my map to assess the best route and then realized: Jesus H Christ it takes a long time to go directly across this map!

But honestly, I absolutely love Biodome. I don't have any complaints about all the glass, etc.
    I just think some people are too picky ;P
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why not just call arboretum "The Arbor"? Then we can just shorten it down to "Arbor" and keep at least part of the original name in tact, while making a subtle game of thrones reference :D
  • CreepyBumbleBeeCreepyBumbleBee Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183803Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Loving Biodome so far, only a couple of niggles.

1. Glass can be hard to distinguish from air.
    2. As comm its hard to tell if you're placing structures in a good place, but that might be because I don't know the map.
    3. Hydroponics seems a bit cramped around the CC.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Screw the names, as with every previous map the names change with every patch. It’s a new map it’s gonna happen, let’s just hope UWE won’t call 2 different tech locations almost the exact same name (which happened with mineshaft).
  • FlamingoFlamingo Join Date: 2009-07-15 Member: 68141Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm still a firm believer in calling it Tree Tube. Always have been. Always will.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Theres been a lot of talk about aesthetic and map names, but as we saw with descent gameplay is probably the most important factor. So far my experience with biodome has been nothing but positive, the map has a really nice overall flow and each room is interesting to fight in.

Seriously good job.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    What are Condensators?
  • OlmyOlmy Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16142Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Developer, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited August 2013
    Probably should be condensers, something I only realised today. :)
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Can some1 explain these things:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWz3M-ToBZ2fvFX4j4T10FF8ItIX_rO7k8G3RDmlJeXjxGRfpgNw

(money = plants)
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    CCTEE wrote: »
    Can some1 explain these things:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWz3M-ToBZ2fvFX4j4T10FF8ItIX_rO7k8G3RDmlJeXjxGRfpgNw

(money = plants)

Well, there are lights in the center of each, so it seems its supposed to give the plants an adequate lighting. Though that could probably also be achieved without moving them around, so the movement must have some additional effect.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The map looks great, and from the 1 1/2 games I played on it, gameplay looks promising as well.

One practical thing I noticed is that with so much green stuff, it can be tricky for the commander to see where structures can be placed and where not. When infestation is present, it's obvious, but not the other way around... some places look like they might be infested already, but they aren't. Noticed this in the west tech point (forgot the name).

I also found it a bit difficult to make out some room's entrances from the commander view. This will most likely disappear once I know the map better from the ground perspective, though. (Free weekend forced me into the commander seat a bit early ^^)