Biodome first impressions

Comments

• MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Oh, another thing related to this map: Of all the awesome places in it, why was bamboo garden chosen for the main menu? Don't get me wrong, it's well crafted, but it looks a lot less spectacular than many other places.

Also, the straight bamboo edges together with the bright lighting create ugly "staircase artifacts" on 1680x1050. When I first saw the menu, I actually checked whether anti-aliasing had been turned off, but it was still on - without it, the artifacts are even stronger. These would probably not appear with foliage.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    dux wrote: »
    Location names got debated over a fair bit during production. For example: Arboretum used to be called Tree Tubes, but I got over ruled on that one. Can't pronounce a location? Blame Olmy :P

"HE'S HIDING IN TREE TUBES, BUT WHERE?"

"lab 2"

:P
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    CrushaK wrote: »
    CCTEE wrote: »
    Can some1 explain these things:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWz3M-ToBZ2fvFX4j4T10FF8ItIX_rO7k8G3RDmlJeXjxGRfpgNw

(money = plants)

Well, there are lights in the center of each, so it seems its supposed to give the plants an adequate lighting. Though that could probably also be achieved without moving them around, so the movement must have some additional effect.

The rotation keeps the plants uniform. Normally plants will grow opposite to the direction of gravity so these carousel gardens rotate slowly to keep them all pointing towards the center.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ah yeh after smoking a joint i figured it had to be to simulate gravity.
    BUT why arent the marines floating in Bio Dome if its a 0-g facility?
    WE DEMAND REALISM!
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited August 2013
    Plants don't grow opposite gravity... They grow towards light...

Circulate the water..
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Bio-dome is the simple idea of "you can look but you can't touch."
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    WE DEMAND REALISM!

Nanites
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    WE DEMAND REALISM!

What makes you think it's a 0-g facility? It's on a goddamn planet.

Well, why circle the plants then?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nanites.

Those plants have nanites injected, and they need the rotation.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

The entire point is to negate the orientation effect of gravity, as the plants spend equal amounts of time with gravity pulling in each direction. If there was no gravity in the first place, it wouldn't matter.

• wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    MrFangs wrote: »
    Oh, another thing related to this map: Of all the awesome places in it, why was bamboo garden chosen for the main menu? Don't get me wrong, it's well crafted, but it looks a lot less spectacular than many other places.

Also, the straight bamboo edges together with the bright lighting create ugly "staircase artifacts" on 1680x1050. When I first saw the menu, I actually checked whether anti-aliasing had been turned off, but it was still on - without it, the artifacts are even stronger. These would probably not appear with foliage.
    I totally agree with this. What causes this is there are static trees behind the swaying trees. They should be deleted as well as the camera is way too close to the shadows causing them to look pixelated
    Therius wrote: »

The entire point is to negate the orientation effect of gravity, as the plants spend equal amounts of time with gravity pulling in each direction. If there was no gravity in the first place, it wouldn't matter.

Ok, well, i'll start juggling my balcony plants then.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    These plant carousels are based on are real things.

http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2011/10/omega4-468.jpg
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    One thing you can always bet on is the amount of research that goes into the art. From what I've seen every single graphic in this game was based on real objects and/or animals
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013

Efficiency. You only have to power one bulb to provide light to all of those plants, and it takes up considerably less (horizontal) space than it would if you stretched the carousels out and made them flat. Plus they just look really cool :D
    img_2379x.jpg
    omega6.jpg

Biodome is my new favorite map, TBH. You can use the same general sort of strategy as on Summit, but it's just a lot more fun to play on because it's shiny and new :D
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I never much liked summit, always seemed to me to be the most simplistic of all the maps and the furthest from the ns1 style of large and complex maps which I liked a lot.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    8x8 black and white chessboard is also old and simplistic, but it's fun even after hundreds of years.

Of course pawns cannot jump and there is no medspam...
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Summit's simplicity is precisely what makes it such an amazing map
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    I personally love filtration, something about the water is hypnotic.
    edited August 2013

Efficiency. You only have to power one bulb to provide light to all of those plants, and it takes up considerably less (horizontal) space than it would if you stretched the carousels out and made them flat. Plus they just look really cool :D
    img_2379x.jpg
    omega6.jpg

Biodome is my new favorite map, TBH. You can use the same general sort of strategy as on Summit, but it's just a lot more fun to play on because it's shiny and new :D

FCKME! these things a real!
    Today, I learned something from NS2 !
    THANK YOU.

Edit: Love the map btw. :) Maybe a little better chances for aliens in some area's would be nice.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    BioDome, I've counted over 200 glass windows that aliens could either go thru and hide in. 1 broken window. Massive lack of vents. Now to the devs for UWE, these are not some small glitches or a single panel missing from the map so marines or aliens fall thru, they are massive defaults in the map that were extremely apparent the second players started playing it.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    My favorite map of ALL maps, if not better than all official combinded but i found some small leaks where you see skybox trough, the vent with duble vent-entrance model overlapping so its flickering, 1 glass in analysis or wherever that needs fixing, 2 portalled areas that models dont render unless your facing them in a certain way, 1 vent has wall you bounce off instead of climging fluently, 1 panel in seeding with wierd clipping problem, over 5 places with really noticible texture alignment issues that can easily be fixed if only devs got a second look at it.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I like the map visually a lot, but I dislike it from gameplay perspective. The corridor layout is so confusing, I even lost my bearings several times. The worst thing is all that glass - when you see an enemy, you actually cannot be sure you are not separated from him by some invisible glass. I was actually biting a marine through a glass pane one time, and emptying a clip to a super-thin (though no doubt nanite-reinforced) glass window that does not take a dent from all the bullets is frustrating.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    There's a broken window with (presumably) breathable air coming from the outside. That's like astronomically rare right?

Could that mean biodome might be a bastion on the burnt-out remnants of earth!?!
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    let me guess, it was this?:
    YVthcvH.jpg
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    RadimaX wrote: »
    let me guess, it was this?:
    YVthcvH.jpg
    Lol no it was developer-intentional broken window slightly to the west of reception (look up)

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just got a chance to play it a little. Didn't get much of a feel for it since it was a f2p pub game and my team never got past biomass 2, but visually it's stunning. Nearly every room is memorable. It seems a little confusing at first, all of the hallways are rather unusually shaped and difficult to differentiate from each other. Also, most of the larger rooms are wide open but separated by panels of glass, making it a little hard to tell whether you're actually able to shoot/be shot. I suspect that all of these things will become easier as I play the map more, but that was my first impression.

I love the idea of a Summit-like map done in the Veil style of having a constant marine spawn location. However, I question whether or not the close spawns will work, given the fact that close spawns on Summit (admittedly a smaller map but still) are pretty awful. I only got a chance to play in a match where the aliens spawned in the north, so I'm still not sure how that will go.
  • Butane45Butane45 Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186444Members
    Should North Alley really be able to arc out Main Hall tech point? Happened in a game I was in and aliens couldn't do anything about it. Two long approaches would have needed half the team at each approach and all rush at once to break the 2 exo ball standing on the arcs. Honestly not sure that would have done it.