Skill rankings are nice, but useless until servers are punished on the browser for bad performance

Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited August 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
The idea for skill rankings is a great idea, however, it is currently a exercise in pointlessness when so many of the servers (ibisgaming, king kahuna, tactical gaming, crack miata) run so poorly. I know the server browser says they are running at 100%, but when the tickrate is so low and every other refresh of the browser knocks them back down to 50% performance, i think some better evaluation of how a server is actually running is needed. Skill is pointless when the majority of servers are so bad... the worst part, is the low skill players on it won't notice.

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    How does a skill rating system have anything to do with server performance?

I agree the performance column is useless, and should provide better information about how the server performs when at max player count.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Why call post skill ranking when your discussion has NOTHING to do with skill rankings lol...
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I think he's mistaking the rankings for how a servers performance is rated amongst other servers lol
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still a good point, performance should show an average of the last 20 seconds performance not current
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No one seems to be connecting the dots here. Let me help you, the "skill ranking function" is made partially useless since most servers run so iffy. It's hard to tell how good someone really is when everyone is studdering around and lagging.

I have yet to play since the patch as it was made clear that it's sub-par and only the base for what's coming Friday. I'd suggest everyone to simply wait it out till the Friday release before beating your chest on the forums.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    The serverperformace entry in the serverbrowser should show an average performance rating of the last hr.

I didnt play 252 yet, cause i am @ work atm
    But.
    It would be interesting to know, how this skill rankings been calculated.
    All i noticed from here is a new servertag P_S with an variable score.
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jekt wrote: »
    How does a skill rating system have anything to do with server performance?

I agree the performance column is useless, and should provide better information about how the server performs when at max player count.

My guess would be server performance drops hurting your K/D. The server always seems to choose the moment when you're flying through the Marine base or doing some other risky maneuver to rubberband you around a little bit or fling back into a room you left. It could skew things. Personally I doubt it happens often enough to truly mess with stats.
  • KingKahunaKingKahuna Join Date: 2008-03-23 Member: 63944Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    The idea for skill rankings is a great idea, however, it is currently a exercise in pointlessness when so many of the servers (ibisgaming, king kahuna, tactical gaming, crack miata) run so poorly. I know the server browser says they are running at 100%, but when the tickrate is so low and every other refresh of the browser knocks them back down to 50% performance, i think some better evaluation of how a server is actually running is needed. Skill is pointless when the majority of servers are so bad... the worst part, is the low skill players on it won't notice.

How would you know? You've been ban from our servers for trolling for months.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    KingKahuna wrote: »
    Mattk50 wrote: »

Thankfully the forums as well as steam friends is a place people can talk about one's past and present experiences in peoples servers.

Personally I have noticed a tick rate drop in the servers that I frequent since the 251 build.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Eheh, my point was that skill rankings on a server are pointless when the servers arent configured properly and dont run well. Perhaps i could have adjusted my title better for that. There, edited.
    KingKahuna wrote: »

What? I joined your server once a week ago after trying it numerous times previously, the performance was unplayably horrible and after the reserved slot and redirect bs i'd had enough. so i informed you of how bad your servers were, and i got kicked.

"banned for months" You gotta be kidding me, get out and take your horrible servers with you.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    The simple solution is for you to only play on official servers, or to start your own so it can be configured properly and will run well.

You can also go here and compile a more comprehensive (and more accurate) list of poorly running servers to try and shame the owners with!
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Oh I see, bad performance effecting peoples skill ranking due to warping or what not.

Still isn't much of a connection. Server performance is a different beast entirely, I make a point to only play on servers I know perform well and leave instantly if the tick rate tanks.

Really need to improve the performance column to address this. Tick rate values should be query'd every so often when the server is full or close to it. Then heavily weigh factors like round time and tick rate drops (not necessarily an all time averge, every server will be ranked too nicely) and display a performance value that better specifically represents how the server handles its player count and late game situations.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just mean that UWE is taking an interest in the experience of their various tiers of players by attempting to provide a skill-based metric to join servers, but that interest should be directed towards making sure those servers work properly before attempting a fully featured skill ranking.

Aye that performance column seems to be the best target for improvement. Nuke the poorly performing servers to hell... though very few servers will actually show up atm since the default is to filter anything not 100% performance out. Perhaps that should be lowered to 90% to give a tad leeway depending on how harsh the improved performance rating is.
  • ImbaxlaxImbaxlax Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186656Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Server performance affects everyone? How would this matter in a system where you are judged based on your performance against others?
    Imbaxlax wrote: »
    Server performance affects everyone? How would this matter in a system where you are judged based on your performance against others?
    Bad server performance lowers the skill ceiling. It doesn't matter if you teleport here and there when you're bad, it was probably just as good a direction to go in as you wanted to. However, if you had a well practiced escape route in mind and you go for it, then you faceplant into a wall because of a missed tick and you're dead, you're in the same position as the dude without that route.

BY THE WAY i'd just like to point out im using bad and good as relative terms before someone jumps down my throat. I can stomp pubbies all day and then sharp joins the server and im fucked.