August 30: Reinforced - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• RumseyRumsey Join Date: 2013-01-21 Member: 181012Members
    Hugh wrote: »

In short, YouTube is not capable of accurately representing gameplay as it appears to the player. The reasons are various but include the hard-cap of 30fps on YouTube videos. The 'big boys' get around this by adding motion blur to their games, and adding further effects in post processing.

While no doubt many hardcore NS2 players will view this decision as disingenuous, it is my firm belief that the opposite is true. To put up another trailer that does not compensate for YouTube's limitations is to sell the game short. We saw this with the Gorgeous trailer - My heart sank as people commented that it suffered from 'performance problems.'

Makes sense to me. I've used motion blur in YouTube videos before as well, sometimes it's necessary. For example, this video from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 uses frame blending to convert from 60 fps to 30 fps. Without blending frames, the actual animations would look incorrect and distorted, e.g. the spinning snowboard at the start of the video. So frame blending actually preserves the original information better.

• MururmirMururmir Join Date: 2013-08-14 Member: 186849Members
    Runteh wrote: »
    They have been talking about hand grenades for a while now, and someone spotted them in one of the folders in one of the last builds. I suspect that is the sound they make.

I'd love to see some other editions, but usually the community hype things up beyond what a small team are capable of.

A few new editions and some more improvements to the game engine will do nicely.

A while ago hugh made a post about looking into the NS2 folder and it's according game files (just as Runteh said). So if you have a look into the lua script folder and go to the marines’ weapons segment you'll find various lua files. Based on their names one might suggest that hand grenades will make an appearance in Reinforced. More details in said folder. Disclaimer: This is just a wild guess no liability here ;). The title itself suggests a very marine heavy approach whereas gorgeous was somewhat alien focused.
    In the threat to the Beta Test it was mentioned that there will be a model for a new gun ready sometime. My guess would be around end of the month ;) ? They were experimenting with higher damage to players rifle so we might see a high powered blot action rifle? Although a blot action in fast paced setting sounds not optimal.... Still would like to see one thoug
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Those of you connecting the dots are on the mark.. Now just pay attention to the frequency of the sounds and you'll figure out specifically what it is.
    :bz
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think this game does need an extra marine weapon. Something between the shotty/lmg and exo would be nice, the void between them is too great imo.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    It is the general consensus at UWE motion blur is not something the NS2 community wants (feel free to argue we are wrong!).

Why is this? I like motion blur, I think it's a good addition to games.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Those of you connecting the dots are on the mark.. Now just pay attention to the frequency of the sounds and you'll figure out specifically what it is.

Someone already mentioned the idea of cluster grenades. But the first one goes off and there are a lot of explosions, where as the ones that come later don't have the same frequency of explosions following the initial boom. Confusing.

So, cluster grenades. Or rather, several different types?

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I believe Sewlek confirmed hand grenades in his document considering RFK
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

I think somebody is trolling the masses. Don't worry, I chuckled :D
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    edited August 2013
    black marine armor in first person. The textures look slightly higher res, but that could be because i never seen the map before
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Daphisto wrote: »
    YMICrazy wrote: »
    I can't help but be curious at the part where it says you will reveal how you plan to keep NS2 running on the 30th. Feeling a bit apprehensive at that part.

There are many ways for game developers to make money these days. Some of them are ruthless.

Unknown Worlds operates with principle. We will not do anything that is against the spirit of the game, hurtful to you, underhanded, or sneaky. We are gamers too, and none of us would continue working here if certain monetisation methods were forced on the NS2 community. But without money, there can be no Biodomes or Linux ports. On August 30, you will find out how Natural Selection 2 development can be further funded - And it will be up to all of you to decide if it is worthy.

If you have customizable marine / alien character models per player similar to Aliens: Colonial Marines, I would drop about a hundred bucks or so for something like that.

See below:

Gimme gimme gimme. I want a customisable marine or even an alien.

For the marines you could: camo the weapon, add little items onto weapons like a dogtag, a bandana (Vasquez style), change the voice and get new lines or commands, color or write on my armor, change the models of the armor as well, customise the face, get a mustache or a beard lol, etc.

For the aliens you could: get bigger teeth and claws, change some of the skin textures and hue, change the eye color, add on cosmetic carapace, change the growls and chuckles, add blood onto teeth and fade scythes, make the gorge fatter, etc.

I don't know if it's possible within the engine but customisation is kickass, even if it is gimmicky, casual or monetized. At the moment, there's nothing to distinguish you as a player besides your score each round. I think Chivalry is getting a customise option in the next update, NS2 needs to start working on one ;)
    edited August 2013
    it kinda sounds like something was fired and 3-4 seconds later something exploded?

maybe you can upgrade the command chair to a planetary fortress command chair! and it can lift off and sit next to the hive killing all the aliens around it while 3 marines are welding the chair from the inside!
  • hub3rtu2hub3rtu2 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165478Members, Reinforced - Diamond

Fireworks, duuuh.
  • McBernsMcBerns Join Date: 2013-08-04 Member: 186563Members
    it kinda sounds like something was fired and 3-4 seconds later something exploded?

maybe you can upgrade the command chair to a planetary fortress command chair! and it can lift off and sit next to the hive killing all the aliens around it while 3 marines are welding the chair from the inside!

Its more like once a grenade explodes, a bunch of mini grenades are shot out into clusters, hence the name "cluster bomb"

BTW I'm looking forward to this update.
  • gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    I figured out how they will gain money. After Aug 30th it will be $1 for each 1 FPS increase. Want 30 FPS more? cough up $30. :-)
    it looks like the rifle is also positioned differently in first person, looks much better imo
  • GorgeloveGorgelove Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185873Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    Gorge plushies? Yes?
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Are there any balance changes with 252?
  • MururmirMururmir Join Date: 2013-08-14 Member: 186849Members
    McBerns wrote: »

Its more like once a grenade explodes, a bunch of mini grenades are shot out into clusters, hence the name "cluster bomb"

BTW I'm looking forward to this update.

You're quite right, the lua scripts in the lua folder say cluster, pulse and gas grenade. I agree on the cluster grenade making that noise. But the second time you here the big boom there seem to be no smaller, more silent ones?
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Singleplayer in the NS universe as a separate purchasable title. You heard it here first.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think i remember the devs saying that post 1.0 they wanted customization options
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    I guess this doesn't include OSX support as you would have mentioned it, if it did. Still not read anything about that :P I assume it's easier to release for Linux first as that's what you guys are likely to be using in the office. Much more effort to release for OSX?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    intellix wrote: »
    I guess this doesn't include OSX support as you would have mentioned it, if it did. Still not read anything about that :P I assume it's easier to release for Linux first as that's what you guys are likely to be using in the office. Much more effort to release for OSX?

I'm no programmer, but from what I understand, it's easier to go Linux to OSX, than OSX to Linux. But their Unix and under-the-hood similarities makes it fairly easy to port from one to the other.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited August 2013
    I hope that Linux support include server support!
  • BigDaveBigDave Join Date: 2013-05-22 Member: 185335Members
    me also as ive been waiting to make a multi server management app
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Industry wrote: »
    Singleplayer in the NS universe as a separate purchasable title. You heard it here first.
    Woah woah you're implying that they can make ai.
    Unless it's called..

Natural selection 3: Colonial Marines.

Then i wouldn't care if the ai was bad.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    xen32 wrote: »
    Industry wrote: »

Nope, it's going to be Natural selection for phones:
    nsdos.gif

God damnit I miss playing DOS games every day...
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    intellix wrote: »

I'm not sure any macs are up to spec for running this game. I mean, have you ever played this on a system that "meets" minimum system requirements? It's not a very fun experience, I'll tell you that much. Then there's the whole openGL 3.2.... I hear mac is getting openGL 4x soon though so maybe in the future but it just doesn't seem doable now. There's actually quite a lot of differences between mac and Linux outside of the unix structure.

I mean, personally I hate macs but mostly that's just taste and Steve Jobs. I'm all for having a mac client, but not if mac users can't actually play properly. I've come across enough people complaining that their comps can't handle the game that I'm just tired of it.

On a different note... There's still a lot of noobs left from the sale and we're already going to have another update? I miss the quiet times a bit, you know, the days when you could go into any old pub game and have a better then 50/50 chance of people actually listening to the com. :p
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just thought I would voice my opinion again that the game should support a per-object motionblur option! You know you want to max (cory!).

Quote me if you agree!