Pro players - Competitive play Vs Pub Play

Comments

• SynixSynix Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177557Members
    edited May 2013
    From my experience 95% of really good players in pubs are actually that good, and when asked to comm for a few rounds or find a new server, 9/10 times will do so.

The other 5% or 1/10 I come across are legitimate aimbots/wallhacks. A few signs I've seen a couple times, are blatantly ignoring requests or questions and if I force the person in question onto alien they will switch back to marine or go lerk 100% of the time. Another is if you spectate, watch not for their aim tracking first, but the reaction time from when the skulk appears to when their cross-hairs snap to it. This "instant lock-on" is indicative of a color based aimbot. If they are using a wallhack/aimbot combo, it will be smoother and track the skulk before it appears in LOS and after for a short time.

As a side note if you can arrange a group of skulks to hit the person at once watch and be amazed as he spazzes out trying to lock on to a target.(only works with color bases aimbots)
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    the problem people face when trying to determine if somebody is using a wallhack is that they specifically look for the person to look at someone through the wall, or check a random corner with a skulk in it. assuming the person is actively trying to hide it, you look for what they aren't doing. in comp you probably won't run into anybody smart using a wallhack anyway because it's retarded. you will make mistakes, and then it's just a matter of time before someone points it out.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2013
    Proving wallhacking is a slippery slope. Yes you can set up skulks and see if the marine tracks it through a wall but its still hard to tell. The only way you could be sure is if you (somehow) got a demo and ran a similar wallhack program with it. By doing this, you would probably be banned from all tournaments since people know you have the program even if you would only use it for this purpose. Because of this reason, I am always hesitant to ban someone suspected of using a wallhack.

Keep in mind that wallhacks don't improve your aim, so if your garbage without one, you will probably still be garbage with one.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    Proving wallhacking is a slippery slope. Yes you can set up skulks and see if the marine tracks it through a wall but its still hard to tell. The only way you could be sure is if you (somehow) got a demo and ran a similar wallhack program with it. By doing this, you would probably be banned from all tournaments since people know you have the program even if you would only use it for this purpose. Because of this reason, I am always hesitant to ban someone suspected of using a wallhack.

Keep in mind that wallhacks don't improve your aim, so if your garbage without one, you will probably still be garbage with one.
    It is, but I find many people who use their wallhacks in a sloppy manner that makes it obvious. I'm also less concerned if a player is using his wallhacks to get a 2:1 kdr than a 5:1 kdr or more as it has less of an impact on the game.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter

the spectator using a wallhack isn't necessary, which was the point of my initial post.
  • zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    If great marine doesnt seem to check corners and runs into action with axe it could also mean he knows the position of aliens simply by just looking at minimap regurarly. Its often quite easy to predict where every alien is going if your teammates spot them(in servers with 18 or less ppl) ->its safe to run for a while without looking.

Headphones... When i first played ns2 i was amazed how far you can hear sounds -> you know instantly the position of the enemy and also where it is moving. (as an alien for example. you can hear marines in dome from near the y-junction in veil. And near the dbl system side you can hear marines/aliens going to overlook or coming to system. Most common mistake skulks do in public games is that they start walking silently way too close to the enemy. Ive already heard them coming if playing marine. If playing alien my teammates often give my position away without them even knowing it. Also many skulks walk silently(or they think they do), but when you drop down from a wall you make sounds even when walking...
    Shino wrote: »
    A pro player knows that positioning is very very important. They will always check their corners. On a good day, they will have 35% accuracy in a pub, but that's still 1 LMG clip = 2 skulks, maybe with a pistol finish on the third skulk. He will stand back and let the skulks come to them.

id like to add to this that 35% shown in ns2stats can actually be even 50%+ for a great marine on his best day(ns2stats may show 35%-> good marine shoots to air to find drifters or prefire into small spot if he knows low hp fade is retreating from his teammates(minimap). Sometimes ive killed 3 skulks with lmg and another 2 with pistol + axe. One day i played like that and got instantly banned after playing 4minutes from start.
    Shino wrote: »
    If you suspect someone is hacking, just first person spectate them. If they're missing ANYTHING (not due to shooting props of course), they're likely not hacking. Worst comes to worst, ask them to leave. We're used to it.

This too. Please ask the player to leave first and only after that kick(/ban), if necessary. Ive been banned from 2 servers both times without any warnings. And i always leave if im asked to.
    tdunc- wrote: »
    If you suspect that someone is hacking.. you could actually look up their steamid on NS2stats. And then you can also lookup their name on ENSL

This. sv_status in console.
    xDragon wrote: »
    I wouldn't use those criteria even when looking for an aimbotter tbh, just because someone plays carelessly and runs into every ambush but then kills all the skulks doesn't mean they are cheating.  The better judge is how they react once the skulks are in view - are they moving to evade and position themselves best for other skulks that are coming or are they just facerolling around while shooting all the skulks.

This is also true... Sometimes you just jump in the game while listening music, talking to a friend etc. and dont care so much -> end up running like a rambo and sometimes still managing to kill 3 skulks alone that were trying to ambush you.

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    the spectator using a wallhack isn't necessary, which was the point of my initial post.

I was talking about the only way to fully prove a wallhack. Not 'looking at what the marine is or isn't doing' which is still speculation. To be fair, many admins will rely on general assumptions when banning people. Since I would hate to be unjustly banned, I normally only ban for blatant aimbotting.

Anyway, we are beating a dead horse. Cheats like these are in all FPS games. It's nothing new. Until a descent anti-cheat software is released for NS2, we have to leave it up to the admins of the servers.
    edited May 2013

I was talking about the only way to fully prove a wallhack. Not 'looking at what the marine is or isn't doing' which is still speculation. To be fair, many admins will rely on general assumptions when banning people. Since I would hate to be unjustly banned, I normally only ban for blatant aimbotting.

Anyway, we are beating a dead horse. Cheats like these are in all FPS games. It's nothing new. Until a descent anti-cheat software is released for NS2, we have to leave it up to the admins of the servers.

but when somebody who actually cares about not getting caught doesn't track a skulk through a wall perfectly, your method becomes on par, possibly even a bit worse than mine.

i do agree with the anticheat of course. i don't envision UWE implementing anything though, so it's completely up to the community. :/
    I still disagree with you turts. But for the sake of not derailing this thread with a how-to-catch a hacker debate, lets just agree to disagree.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    If the server empties, kick them.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    I've only see a few aimbots and it's pretty obvious tbh. They kill you before you can even react while you are evasive (as a skulk). Unless it's one of those aimbots that is purposely designed to miss a percentage of shots.

I consider myself a decent player but a pub player no doubt. It is still frustrating to play against really good players, marine players in particular but that's to be expected. This is one of those games where you just don't stand a chance vs a really good player if you're average without a horde of teammates at your side. It's old school. As someone mentioned earlier, even one amazing player that communicates is worth so much more than a whole team of noobs.

I would prefer more indication than simply rookie or non-rookie servers. Something along the lines of this:
    - Rookie - Green
    - Standard - White
    - Advanced - Yellow
    - Pro - Light Blue
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Too bad there's no playerbase to actually fill anything except the first two categories.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I play this game for realy realy long now. The other day i was playing combat with my friend Maxx!! he killed 5 or 6 skulks in a row. He got flamed with acusations that he is a f... hacker, aimbot etc. he reacted like always saying "go spec, record a demo if you like". Then they started vote kick (failed). There is not much co servers and WHY SHOULD GREAT PLAYERS DEAL WITH THAT or LEAVE? I dont have that problem because i have a black armor (ppl tend to react diffrently when thay see one). Maybe there should be some kind of mod that will show a person in scoreboard in blue that have more than lets say 600h of game play). One more thing "play with the best become the best" dont devide servers to pr0 non pr0 etc. its pointless.
    No matter the armor color or the hours played, people will still bitch and complain when someone is better than them. Most people tend to just ignore such accusations and keep playing. It happens in most games to be honest.
  • MkollMkoll Join Date: 2013-02-11 Member: 182996Members
    If you come to our server and faceroll I am going to ask you to play support or hoof you off the server. We have a regular player base, a lot of familiar names that rely on us to make sure games are fun.

One (or more frequently, 3 or 4) comp players teamstacking and facrolling greens does nothing for your play level, although it may make some people feel like touching themselves sensually. meanwhile the server we pay to rent and have nurtured a community on over months empties in 2 rounds.

If you can't deal with having fun without ruining other people's fun, people who paid the same price as you did for the game, then grow the (proverbial) up.

• current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    What server do you run Mkoll?
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Built-in ELO system based on steamid anyone?
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mkoll wrote: »
    If you come to our server and faceroll I am going to ask you to play support or hoof you off the server. We have a regular player base, a lot of familiar names that rely on us to make sure games are fun.

One (or more frequently, 3 or 4) comp players teamstacking and facrolling greens does nothing for your play level, although it may make some people feel like touching themselves sensually. meanwhile the server we pay to rent and have nurtured a community on over months empties in 2 rounds.

If you can't deal with having fun without ruining other people's fun, people who paid the same price as you did for the game, then grow the (proverbial) up.

I've never understood this kind of attitude from server admins. Especially considering that there are AT BEST 5 servers per time zone that get populated on a regular basis. Where the fuck are we supposed to play?
  • cyanidecyanide Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185567Members
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    I play this game for realy realy long now. The other day i was playing combat with my friend Maxx!! he killed 5 or 6 skulks in a row. He got flamed with acusations that he is a f... hacker, aimbot etc. he reacted like always saying "go spec, record a demo if you like". Then they started vote kick (failed). There is not much co servers and WHY SHOULD GREAT PLAYERS DEAL WITH THAT or LEAVE? I dont have that problem because i have a black armor (ppl tend to react diffrently when thay see one). Maybe there should be some kind of mod that will show a person in scoreboard in blue that have more than lets say 600h of game play). One more thing "play with the best become the best" dont devide servers to pr0 non pr0 etc. its pointless.

TL;DR, get over it. Everyone gets accused. We don't all get our panties in a knot about it thou. COD cry babies will always scream hacker when they die.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    Ah Maxx the hacker. It must be because he is polish and speaks almost native English. If anything, that is weird. I knew it all along!
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    heh Maxx was living in Australia for few years ;p i got over this fast but still its just sad because in my opinion Vets keep this community alive.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Mkoll wrote: »

I've never understood this kind of attitude from server admins. Especially considering that there are AT BEST 5 servers per time zone that get populated on a regular basis. Where the fuck are we supposed to play?

If you are a solo player, then just try to tone it back, get pistol kills, stay skulk the whole game, play support roles if you see the server population is getting pissed.
    But if you are stacking with a few of your pro buddies.. thats bull. Split up and make the teams even so the game won't be so one sided. Is it really that complicated of a concept? I'll never understand pros who get confused when admins get mad that they emptied out their server.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    joederp wrote: »
    If you are a solo player, then just try to tone it back, get pistol kills, stay skulk the whole game, play support roles if you see the server population is getting pissed.

What if you enjoy playing the fade or a shotgunner the most? What if support roles are a dead bore and offer no enjoyment whatsoever? What if intentionally pulling your punches, not shooting targets you could have tracked, ignoring a threat you could have solved or getting killed on purpose is discouraging?

Sure, it's selfish, but so are every and all players playing for 'fun' and wanting you out of their personal equation of 'fun' because you're better than them. I don't like the players who're supposed to be covering my back but can't aim for their mothers, but I still don't think I'm entitled to get rid of them because they don't fit my personal view of 'fun'. Why is the opposite more politically correct?

• 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    StrikerX3 wrote: »
    I got accused of hacking a few times simply because I use my headphone to know where my enemies are. Go figure.<br />
    <br />
    I'm gonna call my headphone "wallhack" from now on. Might as well call my mouse "aimbot" to go along.
    Good headphones make aura useless. I always get phantom because unless a marine crouch walks everywhere I always know where they are how many of them there are and which direction they're heading.

Now if only I wasn't such a crappy marine...

@topic in general, I think it should be pointed out that there aren't any cheats for this game because all servers are VAC secured.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2013
    If the tables were turned, and both teams were full of decent players with only one rookie on the server who doesn't know which keys to press, that noob would make the game imbalanced by crippling the team he's in. Less so in bigger games, just as a good player has a smaller influence with more players. But still I wouldn't make threads demanding that bad players should not play if they cannot find servers with their own skill level.

This just doesn't happen because bad players are more common than good players.
    edited August 2013
    Therius wrote: »

What if you enjoy playing the fade or a shotgunner the most? What if support roles are a dead bore and offer no enjoyment whatsoever? What if intentionally pulling your punches, not shooting targets you could have tracked, ignoring a threat you could have solved or getting killed on purpose is discouraging?

Sure, it's selfish, but so are every and all players playing for 'fun' and wanting you out of their personal equation of 'fun' because you're better than them. I don't like the players who're supposed to be covering my back but can't aim for their mothers, but I still don't think I'm entitled to get rid of them because they don't fit my personal view of 'fun'. Why is the opposite more politically correct?

The difference is the noob can't do anything about how sucky he is to remedy the problem you experience. You, on the other hand, can do something about the teams being incredibly unbalanced because you and 3 of your comp buddies keep team stacking. Now if it is just you , on the other hand, and you are solo'ing the entire enemy team, then yes you should tone it back a bit so the other team doesn't rage out, unless of course you like playing on empty servers?
    But if you insist on noob stomping, and playing to 100% your ability even when the enemy players just ground skulk all day (bully much?), one thing you can do is get the game going in the favor of your starting team, then after the 5 minute mark go to the ready room and switch teams, and try to sway the game back. Keep playing on the underdog team until you get them winning. Then you can try as hard as you want the entire time.
    Noobs can change the server to one that caters better to their skill level or start playing another game entirely. You know, the exact same thing people are saying good players should do if they can't find servers with challenge.

And just in case this forum once again excels in misunderstandings: I'm playing the devil's advocate here.
    Noobs can change the server to one that caters better to their skill level or start playing another game entirely. You know, the exact same thing people are saying good players should do if they can't find servers with challenge.

And just in case this forum once again excels in misunderstandings: I'm playing the devil's advocate here.

You would not do well as a boxing instructor. Screaming "GET BETTER!" while you punched new recruits in the face would probably mean your gym is not open very long. Now see if you can figure out how my analogy relates to NS2.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

You would not do well as a boxing instructor. Screaming "GET BETTER!" while you punched new recruits in the face would probably mean your gym is not open very long. Now see if you can figure out how my analogy relates to NS2.

What a terrible analogy. We're all paying for access to the gym here. Why should Therius' hypothetical character suddenly be responsible for training and coaching? Is he getting paid for it, or maybe volunteered?