Literally NO servers found!

Think_Like_A_GunThink_Like_A_Gun Possibly the world's 1st TSA tattoo bearer Join Date: 2006-12-20 Member: 59158Members
Well I'm finally back, after getting fed up months ago with no fix. I got a new laptop installed NS2 go to play and come to find that I still have 0 servers showing up in my server list! I had a forum post when NS2 released about this. I tried everything the kind community offered as help but alas nothing worked. I seem to be the only person with this issue as if it's tied to my user. I just want to play some NS2, I've convinced all my friends to buy it and now I'm the odd man out looking in. Can someone please help?!

Thanks

Comments

• zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You've opted out of any beta for the client?
  • Think_Like_A_GunThink_Like_A_Gun Possibly the world's 1st TSA tattoo bearer Join Date: 2006-12-20 Member: 59158Members
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    It sounds like if it's a totally different computer, it might be your router blocking certain ports that are needed to query the valve master server list.
  • Think_Like_A_GunThink_Like_A_Gun Possibly the world's 1st TSA tattoo bearer Join Date: 2006-12-20 Member: 59158Members
    Nope, I've tried on 3 different routers/networks now.
    Damn, maybe I will get to play NS3 one day. I can't even use quick play, just brings me to an empty server :(
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    If you want to try it, maybe port forwarding tcp/udp ports for steam I believe they are 27015 and 27016

Additionally try playing with firewall/windows firewall/antivirus, etc. off. Possibly even try opening the game console and direct ip connecting to a server to see if you just can't see the server.

• trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Check your firewall. It might be blocking it (this it what happened to me!).
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When you still cant find servers ingame just use the web based server browser:
    http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/

ow ns2 community, you so awesome
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I would also try the old join off a buddy from steam friends and the turn down the number of server you are querying trick.

b62ff.jpg
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    What NS2 version are you running? The server browser usually only displays servers running the same version of NS2 as you.
    (The most common cause of this is the game didn't update for some odd reason).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    If op gets this, try confused's suggestion as well as changing your steam server region (same settings tab)

If none of that does it, type tracert and the ip address of any server in your "command prompt" / "dos prompt" to see what is going on.

Also be sure to bypass or dmz your router and be wired directly when trying these things.
    Info also helps... Isp? Modem ? Geographical location?
    I Will give it a shot, thanks!
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I know this might seem obvious .. but check your filters in your server browser too ;) .. you might be getting a crappy ping for some reason (others downloading etc) .. and all servers are out of your range .. or some other filter checked?

Did joining a game any other way work btw (via steam friend or nanogrid website)? is it only the server list ingame that's causing problems?

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Right , anything entered into the text fields for filtering will influence the results. Be sure your ping setting is set to unlimited, and performance slider is at 0.. Basically review all filters
    The only way for me to join is off a friend. However I'm an adult and only have a certain window of time when I can play, so I can't always count on a friend being on. I've made every change with filters and firewalls avalible nothing makes a difference. The only time the server list worked for me was in the Alfa and Beta version of NS2.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    If op gets this, try confused's suggestion as well as changing your steam server region (same settings tab)

If none of that does it, type tracert and the ip address of any server in your "command prompt" / "dos prompt" to see what is going on.

Also be sure to bypass or dmz your router and be wired directly when trying these things.
    Info also helps... Isp? Modem ? Geographical location?

• BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2118537#Comment_2118537

Also .. on your router/modem .. login to it (admin login) and see if lowering your firewall settings on the modems makes any difference ..

Are any of the friends you for to get NS2 RL friends? since its a laptop, any chance you could try it in one of their houses? ;)
    (Only a suggestion :P ) .. you could also log in on one of their steam accounts on your laptop or login with yours on theirs and see if its your account (possibly steam cloud stuff .. clear using link above ;) )

Since you're having the same issue now as you had before .. and its a new laptop .. it has to be either
    1. your local network
    2. your isp
    3. your modems (all 3 :P .. unlikely)
    4. your steam account (cloud)

If its 1-3 .. and you're a bit techie, you could mess about with wireshark (a network packet sniffer .. legit, I've used it alot for diagnosing work related problems :P ) and see if the server queries are going out from NS2
    Also .. I'm sure NS2 polls a central steam server for the game list, these servers are listed in your <path to steam>\Steam\config folder in a file called MasterServer2.vdf

Can you view other game server lists? like team fortress? (using the steam server browser?)

• SoftsfulSoftsful Join Date: 2013-07-27 Member: 186415Members
    edited July 2013
    So I was having this same problem as well for a little while now. Driving me up the wall. One day I was looking at my Steam interface looking at my settings and my eyes just kinda wandered down and YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE MY SHOCK:

Offline Mode

I felt like a dingus..... So, I changed Steam back to online mode and wouldn't ya know it? It did an update, and when it was done the servers were back! Yay!
    edited July 2013
    laf fs :P there was me doing up a server app just so he could play *grin*
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=163067324
  • Think_Like_A_GunThink_Like_A_Gun Possibly the world&#39;s 1st TSA tattoo bearer Join Date: 2006-12-20 Member: 59158Members
    I have server list's show up in every game I own outside of NS2. I am not in offline mode. My friends that also own NS2 are RL friends, and I have tried with my laptop at 2 of there houses no change. I have taken my firewall completely down...no change. What I find interesting is at the top right when refreshing the server list it has a count(362) I believe that is the amount of servers that exist but I can't see or click/join any of them. I have also taken cloud share off of NS2 and uninstalled then re-installed on both my PC and Laptop. Balmark I am very much looking forward to your server app you are working on :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    did you delete your natural selection 2 folder in your windows profile?
    It should kill of any preferences and settings. Worth a go, aye?
  • Think_Like_A_GunThink_Like_A_Gun Possibly the world&#39;s 1st TSA tattoo bearer Join Date: 2006-12-20 Member: 59158Members
    Giving it a shot right now.
    Damn! I was really hoping that would magically do the trick. Oh well, I will keep trying.
    Uhh.. if its showing servers in the top right that means it is in fact seeing them/pinging them.. but you are filtering them out.

Ensure every text field in the server browser is empty. Ensure performance slider is set to 0% and ping is at tolerant levels.

Take a screenshot of your server browser and link it here.
    edited August 2013
    If you try scroll on the list nothing appears? Does double clicking on 1st row try to join a server?

But yeah .. thats not a pretty screenshot
    No amount of clicks, in any varying fashion, provide with the the response I seek.
    edited August 2013
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/120313/app-standalone-server-browser/p1

I was reinventing the wheel ;) xmt has a server browser already! .. try this!

You're problem though has to be ISP or network setup :/
    Get one of your friends over to try it on yours ;)

Anyhow, this might be a workaround for you :(
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Potentially stupid question follows:

It looks like you are getting responses from 300 odd server but none are passing a filter.
    Is there something like a whole lot of spaces in either the map or server name fields?

I like Balmark's suggestion as well. If you can see if going somewhere helps/coming to your place causes the issue. Ironhorse no doubt has tips about taking your PC to coffee shops to play. Neighbor with an open wifi network?

Do you have a funky build installed? are you running 251, public, non beta, vanilla ns2? Is there anything funky in your Logs?

Finally, if all else fails, I would play the nuke it from orbit card. Remove ns2 local file from steam delete the %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/ Folder. Remove /steam/steamapps/common/Natural selection 2/. and then reinstall.