Hold Space to Queue Jumps

FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
edited August 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I'm sick of tired of this mechanic. There has to be a better way.

Rather than queued jumps, how about an embedded 2-3 jump script?

How do you feel about this? I liked queued jumps at first but it's kind of crazy op

edit: Cleared language a bit to avoid more confusion

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Sick of pressing keyboard buttons.
    #firstworldproblems

All jokes aside, if you fuck up a hop, you will lose your speed. Lets not make the fade mind-numbing(ly) boring please.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hmm, not sure but are you asking for a "bind scrollwheel to jump" feature instead, disguised plans ey :P
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited August 2013
    I just think that with people getting accustomed to how to use the new movement, this specific part of it is going to need to be phased out. I'll live with it, it's not that bad of a thing. It's just I feel like it's targeted only at new players and it's great for them, but it's too easy to not mess up right now.

edit:
    joshhh wrote: »
    Sick of pressing keyboard buttons.
    #firstworldproblems

All jokes aside, if you fuck up a hop, you will lose your speed. Lets not make the fade mind-numbing(ly) boring please.

Yea that's my point. I think you should lose your speed if you miss a hop timing. How would that change the fade or the necessity of pressing keyboard buttons?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    Oh my bad. Didn't realize you were talking about the queued jumping with space. It's too early in the morning X_X.

But it would be nice if maintaining fade momentum was a bit more difficult and less forgiving. =]
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I was thinking the opposite actually. We should remove que jumping.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    current1y wrote: »

Apologies on my language. But I was agreeing with you in my original post.
    current1y wrote: »

He got me too current1y :3

Queued jumping is fine for skulks but fades should have it removed. I would almost go as far to say that the time window to hit the hop should be reduced as well.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    eh i think it removes some skill from skulk movement. It would be odd to have it on 1 class but not another no?
  • niitzeniitze Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185839Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2013
    I, for one, really like it. And it's not the jump queuing what is making the current skulk gameplay feel extremely dull. It's the "press W(and A or D) and tap spacebar. Honestly, I don't even know what people are thinking when they say stuff like this. Removing jump queuing would really be the wrong place to start making alien gameplay feel more interesting and difficult.
    When you are playing as a skulk or fade, you should feel like you are achieving something when you are moving quickly and agilely. The game needs more fun and rewarding mechanics, not frustrating mechanics. Besides, some people would abuse it anyway by binding the mousewheel or by making some macros and whatnot.

Also, if sewlek wanted to make the alien gameplay more difficult, interesting and deep, he wouldn't have instantly deleted the skulk butthopping and fade downward blinking from the game instead of trying to balance them and refining them to even better mechanics.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    joshhh wrote: »
    Oh my bad. Didn't realize you were talking about the queued jumping with space. It's too early in the morning X_X.

But it would be nice if maintaining fade momentum was a bit more difficult and less forgiving. =]

The very first skulk speed jumping used timed jumps; you had to press the button about 200-300ms AFTER landing to maintain perfect momentum. Too early or too late and you lost out...

Was replaced by "spamming as fast as possible" in a later version, which caused destroyed keyboards and aching wrists. The current version is a wrist/keyboard saver.

The next logical progression would be to press the jump key once and hold it down until you want to stop jumping.
    matso wrote: »
    The very first skulk speed jumping used timed jumps; you had to press the button about 200-300ms AFTER landing to maintain perfect momentum. Too early or too late and you lost out...

I miss this :)
    matso wrote: »
    The next logical progression would be to press the jump key once and hold it down until you want to stop jumping.

Or make it 0-200ms BEFORE landing :D Same amount of presses, more timing needed, harder to do in combat. Yeaaaa
  • patpat Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185569Members
    just have holding spacebar constantly jump
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well you can just spam space with your head and go through corners and you go around 10.8. If you plan and try comboing jumps smartly you can reach little over 11 in good places.
    This current system just sucks. Why people prefer this over buttjumping is a mystery.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't like the current system. The "press and hold until after you've jumped" is just so unintuitive for me. I've just stopped trying and am pressing space when I actually want to jump (like the old system).

Personally, I say that the system needs to be changed to either how it was initially with having 200-300ms to press the button after you landed or maybe what mattji said and have it before. That actually adds an element of skill and timing.

If you want it to just be straight easy-mode, just have it so you can hold space and it will jump as soon as you land on a jumpable surface.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited August 2013
    I REALLY don't understand what all the fuss is about, I think the new fade jump is perfect. I feel like I'm in more control of the fade hitting space evenly while keeping momentum and streaking around corners. I've told complete rookies on my team who went fade for literally the first time how to jump and keep momentum by hitting space while tapping blink occasionally, and they understood and were able to do it immediately unlike the pre-250 implementation.

I suppose holding space bar would make it even easier, but would disconnect from the jump mechanics already established by the other alien classes (spacebar = 1 jump). It really makes no difference, somebody will ALWAYS complain no matter what's implemented.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Also don't use the jump queue - confuses me for some reason, but I don't usually have a problem pressing space manually. Or just holding the anti stick key and spamming +jump in any tight area.

Oh, don't have any problem with fade since it's just a simple jump when hitting the ground or jump spam when going upwards, was talking about skulk and jumping when on the wall but not actually on the wall ... yeah.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    Yes, do it like in Warsow. Holding space should be enough. I should have said this before.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    I like the warsow implementation as well; you just simply hold space permanently.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I like the warsow implementation as well; you just simply hold space permanently.

This was suggested many times, but it was deemed that pressing spacebar to queue your jump was more skillful.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    My 3 months old keyboard already has a squeaky space bar. Somebody owes me a new keyboard...
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    GORGEous wrote: »
    This was suggested many times, but it was deemed that pressing spacebar to queue your jump was more skillful.

While it may be more skillful than holding space all the time, it is definitely not more skillful than what it was before. Why was it changed?
  • sinkingmistsinkingmist Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172905Members
    As a slightly-above-casual player I would greatly appreciate the convenience of just being able to hold space.
    That said, if it became a difficult timed thing that only the really good players can do, I wouldn't mind much (wouldn't affect me very much).
    Right now it's in a sweet zone where it's not at all hard and is just annoying.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Could be jump toggle, holding a key all the time requires too much skill...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    The timed jump we previously had hinders those with lower FPS, making it much harder to time the jumps perfectly compared to those with beast machines.

It took me ages to get used to the queued jumping system, it was just so odd holding jump before landing when you've been used to timing jumps for the past 13 years or so. I like it now though, and as I said it helps out in the late game when my fps starts to dip.

I've only played a few warsow games but I'd be ok with how it deals with jumping, just holding spacebar.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It might work in warsow, but forgive me for thinking that that also contains a whole bunch of other skill-based movement mechanics. With the removal of butt jumping, one of the two only slightly skill-based mechanics is now gone from NS2 (the other being strafe jumping that you can currently do to gain speed without walls and maintain momentum).
    I don't mind if a hold space to continue jumping is implemented - I time my jumps out of habit and probably won't get away from that. No problem letting others hold space to achieve the same effect, even if a selfish little part of me would prefer it if perfectly timed jumps gave a better boost than auto jumps (kinda like turning the assists off in a racing game).
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    Not sure why everyone thinks this issue is a big deal now; it was highly praised by much of the community on its' invention.

I've preached since the onset that there is a direct contradiction and conflict of interests in the following two principles:

1.) Implementing Skill Based Movement.
    2.) Implementing A Non-Skill Based Method to Maximizing the Gain of that Mechanic in such a way as to render it utterly Non-Skill.

In the context of 'Skill' being repeated, methodical timing with pinpoint precision with a sloping gain/loss based on your ability to maintain such effective timing through various situations (obviously you'd see a skill ceiling generated from the ability to maintain effective timing during both frantic fights, near deaths, non-combat transit, etc).

Of course one could always dream of requiring or encouraging mouse synchronization with movement to maximize speed gains, decaying gains based on various other possible mechanics etc...

But for now, let's just admit that it's a mechanic that is thoroughly unintuitive for brand new players, but once someone's been fed the baby-spoon of knowledge that is "Hold down spacebar, release spacebar, hold it down again with 1-2.5s windows to do so", it's a no-challenge, no-skill automatic 'Bunnyhop' (this isn't actually a bunnyhop at all).

Dead Horses. Let's Kick Them.
    Neiiiigh.
    -Colt
    Yea there's been maybe 2 on topic posts in this thread :(
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    GORGEous wrote: »

While it may be more skillful than holding space all the time, it is definitely not more skillful than what it was before. Why was it changed?

Because the entire group of changes this was introduced with had contradictory goals, and as a result failed to meet many of them.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Jiriki wrote: »
    Yes, do it like in Warsow. Holding space should be enough. I should have said this before.

Warsow is different, there are other things for movement that you need to focus on besides jumping

Also I wasn't aware this game even had a que, I was manually pressing spacebar everytime I felt like I was about to touch the floor, only time where I'd hit it less or more was going up/down slopes

Allowing us to just hold space.. will just make current fades even better, because that's one less thing they need to focus/do so it gives them more to think about aiming aka makes it easier for an already good fade