Crouch Toggle

Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
For the same reason alien vision is a toggle, we should get toggle settings for crouch, so that we can have another key to press every time we spawn or evolve as alien and then never press again.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Alien vision SHOULD be on by default but be able to turn off.
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

This used to be the case in the previous game.

There is a balance issue with an always ducked fade, and it re-appeared in NS2. Free 30% smaller hitbox, more headroom for bunnyhop, with no discernible drawback.
  • cha5oncha5on Join Date: 2014-01-17 Member: 193209Members
    (Sorry to bump an old thread)

Speaking as someone who suffers from a repetitive strain injury (RSI), a toggle option for crouch and silent movement would be a huge improvement in making this game more playable! The difficulty of holding down shift or control and pressing other keys is the one thing that keeps me from playing this game more. I've been looking into ways that this might be added as a client-side mod, but the only way I can see to change crouch behavior is to modify core/lua/Mixins/CrouchMoveMixin.lua (specifically CrouchMoveMixin:HandleButtons), which I'm pretty sure requires the mod to be server-side and on for everyone because of consistency checking.

I'm going to keep investigating, but if any of the devs (or experienced modders) feel like helping out those of us with difficulty holding down multiple keys at once, it would be _very_ much appreciated!
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Autohotkey for toggle crouch. Not sure why you'd need to keep crouching for long periods of time in this game though :p
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I use a USB pedal for crouching. Technics.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    ultranewb wrote: »

This used to be the case in the previous game.

There is a balance issue with an always ducked fade, and it re-appeared in NS2. Free 30% smaller hitbox, more headroom for bunnyhop, with no discernible drawback.
    Correct.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    It feels like crouching fades are able to maintain speed better also during bhops. I heard something about air resistance. Is this still valid?
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014

I wondered why your post has 2 disagrees until I checked the date on them. Boy did they screw up the alien vision.
    ultranewb wrote: »

Hah, I've been doing this for a while but only when going in for the kill. I never tried doing it constantly, it does make sense for this to work but I could swear you lose air momentum when ducked. I'll be trying this out for sure.
  • GalapagOGalapagO Florida Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193121Members
    I'm pretty sure that crouching while blinking doesn't reduced your hit box for some reason just makes it easier to avoid obstacles. And crouching while walking just reduces your slow speed even more.
  • dusterduster michigan, US Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193329Members
    not sure why you would ever want to have a toggle for crouch in a game like this.
    GalapagO wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that crouching while blinking doesn't reduced your hit box for some reason just makes it easier to avoid obstacles. And crouching while walking just reduces your slow speed even more.

Collision with world and bullet hitboxes are separate I THINK, someone who actually knows for sure confirm. If this is the case it is possible you could crouch blink through low areas but while crouching and blinking around your hitbox is more or less the same, maybe a fraction smaller, but not half size.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    [Jeopardy]*Enter Alex Trebek
    duster wrote: »
    not sure why you would ever want to have a toggle for crouch in a game like this.
    Answer *bew bew bow bow buh dum buh* DAILY DOUBLE
    cha5on wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who suffers from a repetitive strain injury (RSI), a toggle option for crouch and silent movement would be a huge improvement in making this game more playable! The difficulty of holding down shift or control and pressing other keys is the one thing that keeps me from playing this game more.
    And
    Scatter wrote: »
    Fading

[/Jeopardy]*Exit Alex Trebek

• Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow