The Female Marine - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2013
    Zable wrote: »
    The fact that you think this isn't a PR stunt and an appeasment to feminists is truly uninformed. If this wasn't about pushing feminism then why would they draw so much attention to putting this model in the game?
    You don't need to be a feminist to prefer realistically depicted females in games.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    zzzz, really hope they get some late game balance tweaks in before all the shiny new content.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Amazing work! I can't say how much I appreciate your approach and artwork!

A quick heads-up to the devs:
    I couldn't help but think about Rock Paper Shotgun (specifically John Walker) and it's crusade against sexism while reading the news blog. I think it might yield some media coverage on RPS if you contact John about your female marine. If you haven't already, or are going to do so once the patch comes out. Just an idea...

Here are some articles from RPS covering that exact topic:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/13/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games-vs-the-internet/
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/06/misogyny-sexism-and-why-rps-isnt-shutting-up/

• angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    I can already see the first few days of this patch with 90% of the players going Female XD

Me included, I can't wait to play with the bad-ass looking Deluxe female TSF Marine
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    System wrote: »
    She is symbolic of the type of game developer that Unknown Worlds seeks to be.

Yeah, it's a statement of sorts I guess. I just see a female marine model that was promised, though.

I think the hostility the topic receives is simply born out of fear - fear for a movement to ban or censor everything that doesn't match whatever is deemed correct. A while ago I saw a bunch of people arguing that Bohemia is being vehemently sexist and evil for NOT having female models in ArmA III. We just gotta find a nice middle ground.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY:

OMG I CAN'T WAIT for female marine death cries :)) WE WILL HAVE THEM, YES?

I wish we would have more ridiculous death cries. I saw a Chivalry video and I was totally jelly of all the mighty cries they had.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Amazing work! I can't say how much I appreciate your approach and artwork!

A quick heads-up to the devs:
    I couldn't help but think about Rock Paper Shotgun (specifically John Walker) and it's crusade against sexism while reading the news blog. I think it might yield some media coverage on RPS if you contact John about your female marine. If you haven't already, or are going to do so once the patch comes out. Just an idea...

Here are some articles from RPS covering that exact topic:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/13/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games-vs-the-internet/
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/06/misogyny-sexism-and-why-rps-isnt-shutting-up/

Oh God, please don't. John's way of handling the topic (blocking RPS comments for the first time in God knows when) was not ideal in any way. RPS looked really dark that day. I don't care who's right, it wasn't good for anyone.
  • valkjurivalkjuri Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151387Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The special edition one looks so good, really wish I had bought special edition back in the day instead of standard x(
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I was honestly digging the head piece of the original concept. Kind of sad to see it go with a design that looks almost exactly like the male marine one's now.
  • BobLobslawBobLobslaw Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185885Members
    so its going to be possible to change all the female marine textures to look like the male ones?
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Very nice indeed, glad to see that it will finally be implemented but please dont forget about the babbler king!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or queen)
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2013
    *still not funny* --Comprox
  • cyanidecyanide Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185567Members
    edited July 2013
    Do not post immature comments again please. -Obraxis
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    BobLobslaw wrote: »
    so its going to be possible to change all the female marine textures to look like the male ones?

I don't see it saying that anywhere... I suppose someone could make a mod for it though.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    *Last warning. Not needed here* --Comprox
    up tight. good work uwe on the model. up tight.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Gonna post again:

Great model, great concept, great intentions.

Sad to see some people wanting something different out of a female marine though...
    GISP wrote: »
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Female Kharaa coming too?
    The Kharaa are female
    Aren't the Kharaa actually the bacteria on the different life forms? Therefore.. probably being asexual.
    edited July 2013
    *waves goodbye* - Ironhorse
  • NikoranNikoran Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185886Members
    This was the big announcement? I have to say, I'm rather disappointed.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Those gloves look sick. Wouldn't feel like a skin if we didn't see a difference in first-person view.

Nice work.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @cyanide
    yes, lets have all the art folk at uwe twiddle there thumbs and do nothing or help code.. Im sure performance will improve with noncoders coding.

Alo 249 got us huge performance gain, I dont see any problem.
  • LagLightLagLight Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149708Members
    The female model has got 'full' gloves, unlike the male variant with fingerless ones which is kinda cool looking. Good looking character overall. I wouldn't say she is a 'bad-ass' killing machine though, even the male version does not look like a 'bad-ass'. In my opinion they both look more like tame, space police.

I hope the next game model project you decide to work on is a Retro-themed NS1 armor set. Or visible Evolutions on the Alien lifeforms, like Carapace (Extra Plates) and Aura (multiple Bug eyes!).
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I presume that "animations are being completed" to mean that they are not entirely the same as the default male animations.

Perhaps having slightly different animations could be an opportunity to distinguish between the genders on the field.

Or is having standardized animations important for balance in terms of psychology and how enemy marines are perceived (Unreal Tournament comes to mind.)
  • princessprincess Yaaar! Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Model looks great! I wasn't so sure about the whole female marine thing. As a female ns2 player I didn't think a female skin would add anything to the game and worried it would become a bit too much of a gimmick, but after seeing this I think UWE have done a great job. Don't get me wrong, I guess ultimately it is a gimmick, but it's not a bad thing at all to represent women in games who aren't scantily clad, big boobed and in constant need of rescuing. Well done to all involved :)

Can't wait to hear the voice over :)
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Looking really good. Well done.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Think for a minute, all the sexy female gamers the female marine will attract to our game and community. Yes ;)
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    It's been a long time coming and I'm happy to see that we're finally going to get to see it in the game soon. Cory's concept art was and always is fantastic and it's nice to see it getting fleshed out into the game after all the waiting.
  • NikoranNikoran Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185886Members
    Think for a minute, all the sexy female gamers the female marine will attract to our game and community. Yes ;)

Sexy female gamers? Sorry, pal, they don't exist.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Nikoran wrote: »

Sexy female gamers? Sorry, pal, they don't exist.

I seriously think you need to get out more then...