Build 250 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I don't like the rabbit fade as well. Didn't took me 5 secs to keep him fast, but this constant hopping and jump key pressing is not what I would call intuitive/fun. In fact, it is very annoying. Can't say much about the skulk movement. It seems to be slower and I liked how it was before, but I will give that some more time. Maybe it will get better.

A few remarks:

- The description of phantom says it make me invisible, it doesn't say anything about still (partly) beeing visible at all. That is misleading and will lead to many "cheater, how could you know I am here" call outs.

- If I make a halucination of a drifter, that drifter makes marine walking sounds when moving. uncool.

- I would prefer to choose between upgrades when the 2nd hive went up. Investing a huge amount of res only to get spores unlocked is strange.

There are a few things that are great about the patch and even more that I don't like, but writing them down will only hit deaf ears so I won't ;)
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    nachos wrote: »
    Also no panting skulks means it can be incredibly hard to prepare for the super fast skulks. So what if people thought it was a "silly" sound. It worked and people only thought it was silly for the first 2-3 hours of playing it and then they got over the sound really.

Yeah this is actually a horrible change both from a balance and fun perspective. Incoming fast skulks shouldn't be stealth ninjas and the panting noise was both a great way to let the player know that they're moving at a fair speed as well as just a nice bit of immersion, it really gave the sensation that you were pushing your lil skulky body to the limit! I strongly hope this wasn't an intentional change from BT :(
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    What in the world gives you the impression that your feedback would fall on deaf ears??
    Every single thing in this patch is a direct result of listening to player feedback... Many from these very forums.

Thank you for your well written feedback, as well.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    - I would prefer to choose between upgrades when the 2nd hive went up. Investing a huge amount of res only to get spores unlocked is strange

What about marines getting jetpacks/exos on 1 base? Should skulks be dead because they can't get leap? Besides, JPs/exos are a heavy investment on their part too.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited June 2013
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    Actually drifters cost 3 tres not 5. Also PG on infestation? How different is that from a gorge tunnel right outside of a marine base that doesnt need infestation?

When I tested yesterday they costed 5 res.

Some differences between Gorge tunnels and PGs is that
    - Marines can use tunnels, Aliens can't use PG
    - Aliens can't beacon all their players to a PG for a concerted rush
    - and again, as I was speaking about scouting, you can scan for a Tunnel and Aliens can't stop this, Aliens have to find the PG by themselves.

In short, PGs and Tunnels are entirely different. Duh.
    I was talking about Drifters and scouting in light of PG on Infestation, not Tunnels or anything else which has nothing to do with that.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    All I say is that it would be nice to have a choice for adding diversification. If I want to research spores before leap, so be it. But that doesn't automatically mean that I would not react to JPs and get leap before spores. Why so aggressive, did you have some bad experiences? Would you prefer to have a fixed research tree so that every game will be the same and comms won't do any "mistakes"? Sounds boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    The changes that have went into this patch has come from the most open development style I've seen in ANY comercial game. BT mod has been going for months, open to anybody to jump onto a server, play and give their opinion/feedback. This isn't a patch for the "pro's", it's a patch to try and nail down issues players have had with the game since release (and the beta before it). It was about trying to do whats best for the game as a whole, not what's best for the handful of "pro's". Sewlek has been an absolute machine in it's development, it was rare to join an EU game (thanks [HBZ]) without him being there, taking feedback from whoever was playing - be it casuals like myself or top clanners.

If you don't like it, please give it some time to get used to. I know learning a technique such as the new movement can be daunting and frustrating if you're dying constantly to those who already have it nailed, but with time & experience it'll "click" and hopefully you'll see it as a positive thing (and more fun!) as I certainly do.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited June 2013
    The only change I actually like in this patch is the veil upgrades. "Phantom" and the new aura seem fairly well balanced compared to each other and the spur and shell upgrades. Other than that, I've found the JP change very fun to play with but near impossible to play against. ONE of the several flamethrower improvements should probably be kept, like structure disableing or increased clip or gorge ownage, but all of them together are way too powerful
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    1. Did skulk strafe speed make it into the game? I can't reach even sound 1 without a wall or dropping from a height.

2. Marine ice-skating and jump momentum loss is nice tbh, it was ridiculous how huge marine acceleration was before, even though kinda fun.

3. MARINES CAN NOT STRAFE JUMP ANYMORE. HOW DID NOBODY NOTICE THIS LOL? Or is it a bug. When you W+D run and press jump you jump FORWARD not to NE.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Some people here are stuck with that "they changed it, now it sucks" mentality. Give it a shot. I was *very* skeptical before I jumped in and helped test and change BT. I did hate it for the first few hours, but once I learned the new stuff I actually liked it a lot more than the old NS2, even though there are still some issues to be solved.
    sotanaht wrote: »
    ONE of the several flamethrower improvements should probably be kept, like structure disableing or increased clip or gorge ownage, but all of them together are way too powerful

Like this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    edited June 2013
    3. MARINES CAN NOT STRAFE JUMP ANYMORE. HOW DID NOBODY NOTICE THIS LOL? Or is it a bug. When you W+D run and press jump you jump FORWARD not to NE.

strafe jumping marines have silly amounts of agility in 250. You can turn 180 mid air, completely throwing skulks off. If anything I think marine air control needs to be reduced a little.
  • KernKern Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185731Members
    Thanks for ruining the game for me, i just HATE the skulk/fade bt gameplay.
    This update is like "You dont like the Bt mod? Fuck you, we dont care :D"
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To everyone who is complaining - these reactions are natural, people will always respond negatively to drastic changes, especially to things that they really enjoyed. But I really suggest that you hold off judgement for a little bit until you get the chance to play more and see how these changes pan out in game. I dare say that most of the people who are now supportive of the BT (myself included) at one point disapproved of a number of the changes just as you do now. The sky isn't falling, the game isn't as different as you think it is.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    FLuX wrote: »
    :D NS2 2.0000000000000000000 (At least that's what I'm calling it.)

Would that be NS tutu?
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    Gl at the beginning isn't a good choice, specially with "no whip counter"...
    Marines play fine, but playing on alien side really feel bad.
    The Upgradesystem as Alien Commander is also very confusing, was it really necessary to change alien tech?
    Sorry, but with this patch, you made the game feel weird.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Natural selection is always changing, bt has been out for quite some time now, so everyone has had a chance to play it,
    I dont understand why all this hate is comming, the changes are good give or take a few, but they can be fixed, improved, just play the game for a few hours and you will start to like the changes.

Just give it a chance rather than reading the changelog and jumping the gun.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Reeke wrote: »

strafe jumping marines have silly amounts of agility in 250. You can turn 180 mid air, completely throwing skulks off. If anything I think marine air control needs to be reduced a little.

Yes air control on marines is stupid. But I was talking about strafe+forward jumping NOT BEING POSSIBLE ANYMORE. If you strafe+forward and jump you jump FORWARD instead of to the right/left.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    Well you finally did it, from the first Alpha to 250 - and now I hate the game, what a pile of utter rubbish. Taken the core and twisted it to the worst experiance from the 2fps engine demo. Remove this awful update for the love of god!

Seriously I think we need some digital tissues for all the Q_Q happening. Really dont get how the "core" has been twisted. If you're gettin 2 fps, you have other problems going on than one patch update.

Anyways... *offers tissue
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Wow, a lot of people just reactive to first impressions.

Please, give it time and play a few rounds.

And unwilling to adapt. But then, for some people these changes came with little warning, and they're quite big.
  • KineKine Join Date: 2013-06-12 Member: 185541Members
    edited June 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    What in the world gives you the impression that your feedback would fall on deaf ears??
    Every single thing in this patch is a direct result of listening to player feedback... Many from these very forums.

Thank you for your well written feedback, as well.

While I think you actually care about what people have to say good or bad, unfortunately there are other moderators who do not want to hear anything bad. This community is toxic and moderators corrupt. Thats why people feel their feedback falls on deaf ears.

I had a member from the Australian NS2 Community add me on steam and inform me that the post I made below(the first one in the list) was closed arbitrarily based off of a private communication on their forums. I was given the impression the correspondence was similar to, "Hey I don't like that this guy does not like the Balance Test Changes. Please close his thread."

I for one feel extremely alienated by your company's public face and think that your community management is a joke.

Examples(All of which are locked):
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130682/balance-test-changes-constructive-skulk-movement-discussion#latest
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130717/all-games-die-eventually#latest
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130701/i-hate-balance-test#latest
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    amazing changes
    I have not played for about two months, waiting for this patch
    just played one round at Docking and realized that I return to the game :)
    the game has become much more diverse and fun
    many ppls do not understand how these changes have been thought out before implementation
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    hate the skulk movement, and the new bite cone is horrendous for lerk players