All Games Die Eventually.

Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
I just really wished this one didn't have to end so quickly, it really only seemed to last a moment of what its potential could have propelled it to.

The forumites who patrol this forum night and day and the people who actually play this game need to wake up and realize that this game will soon be dead and gone, no balance test implementation and no new patch or update is going to sell more game copies and bring more players back to natural selection 2, that window of opportunity was closed a long while back and the force required of opening it ever again is only increasing day by day, as more new games come out with better game play, that is the inevitable fate of all games, Natural Selection 2 is no exception. The current and future builds of Natural Selection 2 are a Spark Engine functionality beta test, nothing more.

I just wanted to say that it was a fun ride, I really enjoyed the concepts of this game and I hope to eventually see them come back with a more fully realized and developed game with a Natural Selection 3 perhaps :P). That isn't clouded with a competitive focused narrative and instead brings more important game play elements like better optimization and actual content for the players of the game to use to implement tactics and strategy with, you let the self entitled shooter elites grab a hold of your windpipe and they never let go Unknown Worlds Entertainment. Dwindling and destroying it through every smashed pub game after pub game shifting the focus away from player base saving content development and focusing on other unimportant useless things. Unbalanced teams was the real crux and destructive feature Natural Selection 2 had, and the devs refused/ignored/didn't care to make any attempt to fix the issue and it was the main reason most people gave up and quit this game. You could have enabled a form of matchmaking when the playerbase was still large enough to do so, you could have enabled placement tiers for teams, you could have done so many things for this problem but you just neglected it and said ffuucckk it, all we care about is the top 3% of players, and now that's all you mostly have left, well that and the forumites, the problem is now the 3% are leaving because the game isn't popular at all anymore and can't feed anyone's ego to be good at. It's pretty ffuucckking ironic actually isn't it.

Oh well, I guess that's how you eventually learn, I just hope you do so and don't make the same mistakes in the future, I want to enjoy more of your games, good luck in developing them.

-Angry

Comments

• Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
  • Apollo10000Apollo10000 Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183582Members
    edited June 2013
    Chess anyone? That game is never going to die, unless the human race dies, funnily enough only video games(maybe too many are made? Could be, too many crap games are made) seemed to be plagued by this issue of dying out, not all, but most.

I believe you just indulging in a bit trolling, but you are right to say that the game is not growing enough which in-turn after a while causes a game to be gone in all intensive purpose, but the lead play tester on my team said since the performance update player counts have risen, not a great deal, but rising none the less, but you run with your doom and gloom with your subjective opinion.

Though without continued sales of NS2 there won't be any other games to keep their company going, the original sales can only keep them afloat for so long.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    edited June 2013
    I kind of agree with OP. The potential this game had was never full realised and reached, and the game is dwindling significantly... it's on it's last legs...

Which is a shame. After 500 hours of it on Steam since release, I don't want to let go of this game. But it's becoming increasingly harder to find a good match-up, and the Balance Test, which whilst pretty awesome, is too far removed from the gameplay mechanics that everyone knows already, and I feel is just too little, too late. For every person it will keep playing NS2, it will drive another away because it's just so different.

I haven't found another game that has grabbed my attention like Natural Selection 2 did yet, so I'll still be jumping on and attempting to play a good game or two every now and then, but I'll be playing through my back catalogue of sale-bought games primarily from now on.

Goodbye, and good luck, UWE and NS2.
  • OnozkiOnozki Join Date: 2005-04-20 Member: 48948Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    How about giving try to NS1, 10 years and still kicking. Better game than NS2 also.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Goodbye so soon
    And isn't this a crime?
    We know by now that time knows how to fly
    So here's goodbye so soon
    You'll find your separate way
    With time so short I'll say so long
    And go
    So soon
    Goodbye o/
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Ease up chicken little, the sky isn't falling yet...

• mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    Yea I reinstalled NS2 after having played quite a bit from late november - march because I just built a new computer that can actually run NS2 without lagging and what was already starting to happen then appears to have progressed quite a bit, I thought maybe during prime hours it'd be a little easier to maybe find somewhere to play but there's just no servers really, at least on the west coast. There's 1 green ping for me, and a couple that are low yellow sometimes sliding into green. If I join and it's just a shitty game going on (90% of the time), there's pretty much nothing you can do about it can't go find a better server. Looks like it might actually be easier to get into a combat game, which is sad.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Just what this forum needs, more drama.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Onozki wrote: »
    How about giving try to NS1, 10 years and still kicking. Better game than NS2 also.

Great as NS1 is, it has about 30 concurrent players these days, not so sure I'd call that "still kicking."
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    Do you think anyone bothers if YOU think this game is dead or not? People will play it as long as it's fun, and the upcoming patch will definately make the game more fun to play. Calling a game that is still getting patched with beautiful content and that is still getting played in tournaments with decent price pools "dead" is like wanting it do be dead, or make other people believe it is dead, for what reason?

Also, what is the sense behind your post, "Angry Child"? I can only guess that you are a frustrated and pessimstic person, and want to frustrate other people (like developers and players), too. If you think there are not enough people to play with (which is simply ridiculous untrue), play something else and leave us with 250, biodome and some nice tournaments coming up soon.

Edit: And now please don't answer by posting statistics or numbers, this is no hugely advertised game like Battlefield or CoD, go and play them if you think player numbers equal fun.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Weird, I can launch the game everyday and find a server near my location full to play on
  • SkipjackSkipjack Join Date: 2005-04-13 Member: 48323Members, Constellation
    I actually can't see where your problem is.
    Ns1 is still played after over 10 years and being declared dead countless of times. As long as the game is fun and there are a few teams out there I dont care at all if you or anyone else says its dead.
    When I started playing NS1 not many people played it and the playercount decreased over the years more and more, but this didnt make the game any less fun. It even encouraged the teamplay since you started to get to know everybody on each server.
    Any true gamer who likes a particular game wouldnt make a statement like yours. So my question is what is your problem?
    Are you afraid of not being able to boost your ego, because the player count will decrease?
    or
    Do you dislike the coming changes and because you see them as "competetive friendly" changes, you now try to release your frustration on the comp players, because they "forced" those changes to happen?
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Yeah, if you could guys could keep your negative bs to yourselves, that'd be great
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I've never seen a better fitting name Angry Child.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Closing because this will go nowhere fast.
This discussion has been closed.