Beta Build 249 Released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Loke wrote: »
    As I already said Fraps makes the game more choppy when recording so it wouldn't been a fair comparison.

Don't use Fraps for recording, it drags fps down. I heard recording with MSI Afterburner works pretty well...

Runteh wrote: »
    I was very impressed by this build, having played since the initial release a few years ago I can safely say that this feels much more like it should. I am running on a 7 year old laptop, 2.2/4gigram/hd4000 series... 640x480 I was getting 40 fps in marine start at the beginning of the game. Usually I get around 20 - 30 I think.

The best change with this though is that when explosions or arcs start shooting, you don't get massive lag. Played on an HBZ server, and ARC spammed one of the hives, I think there were about 15+ ARCs. It was still reasonably smooth, even though the fps was low for me - but this was incredibly surprising. Same with the grenade launcher, explosions did not cause stutter.

I don't know what it is, but the feel/movement/animations also feel smoother. It is definitely easier to shoot aliens now I think.

I am not sure how top end spec users will find this patch, but I have seen a real change from running it on a really poor laptop.

Tbh, I don't see all that much of an fps boost. It even dropped down to 38 fps with exos, onos, arcs and biling gorges on a 18ppl server. But I just might not be as high end as i thought :) --> i5 2500K@4.3Ghz | 8GB |HD6970 | SSD

The overall feel has considerably improved though. Shooting grenades is - just as you mentioned - alot smoother now for example.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I noticed a weird Rifle reload animation bug the end of the reload sequence. The tip of the gun sometimes moved up and down in an unusual manner. Never seen it before.

Performance is much better although its similar in open areas like Landing Pad on Docking where it still drops fast and "wait for render thread" creeps up with my 3.0GHz Core 2 + gtx 660
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    With my current settings the cpu and gpu numbers both hover from 0-2 pretty evenly. I5 2500k@4.5ghz and a 7970.
  • the9thdudethe9thdude Join Date: 2007-08-02 Member: 61753Members
    After seeing the results on my primary desktop (which were quite promising), I'm installing Windows on my Core i3/Intel HD3000 laptop to do some benchmarking and give feedback on lower end systems. I'm not expecting it to be amazing, but I hope to get something close to playable.
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Tried it out last night .. I've a oldish laptop that runs most games ok

Running NS2 in lowest detail in 1152x587 or something similar I get about 35fps with nothing going on and 15-20 other times..

I noticed an improvement alright, I was getting 40fps in general around the map with a few dips but the dips weren't as drastic! It seemed to hold steadier alright ..

Only issues I noticed were .. at one stage, I was getting 40fps .. I died and ended up speccing a teammate gorge ..
    he started to heal and my fps went from 40 to 4 .. and never recovered (had to restart ns2) .. after the drastic dip, they stayed around 4-10

Lovin most of the map changes ;) .. although courtyard seems a little bright .. Departures looks alot more interesting but I think makes it alot easier to attack from east wing (but then again it's probably just the first time on the map and everyone was arsin about looking at everything new except the marines shooting hive ;) )

The servers seemed to ping alot better too .. I saw someone with a sub 20 ping not hosting the server! ;)

Last thing .. I know anyone playing competitive will already have a very decent spec machine so it probably won't affect them so much, so my observation here would probably be rejected by this group .. but with the improvements in performance, I think Marines are going to start winning a bit more since killing aliens will be a bit easier for the average player ;) I think in pub games this might have an effect on balance :P

• BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Just an update .. I'm not sure if I played on after the massive FPS drop or not .. but I just loaded ns2 up again there, and my config had changed .. I can only wonder.. is it possible that I took on the detail levels of someone I was speccing??

I know it's a wierd thing to suggest .. er .. but .. is it possible?
    If it happens again I'll let you know .. and I'll check if my settings changed
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Im getting a 50+ fps boost when i actually switch things from low/off to high/on! I was also able to go one step up from 1280x720 Woot! Love the gains on this patch.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Man, now I gotta buy a new graphics card, if it's gonna bottleneck.
    @squishpoke Personally, i'd wait.. with the upcoming OpenGL / DX11 changes very soon ...well, I can't say anymore than that, but yeah.. just wait, friend. ;)

About OpenGL, I read a post somewhere here saying the newer Nvidia cards don't support it anymore? Is it even worth adding support for it then, surely DX11 is enough. (Note: Gonna be so mad when I can't play D2 anymore because OpenGL loses support -.-).
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    No idea where you read that. You just don't simply drop support for OpenGL. The most widely used API for 2D and 3D rendering in the world.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    wiki shows all current and future (700 series) supporting opengl 4.3
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hm, not sure why that was posted then (definitely was).
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Man, now I gotta buy a new graphics card, if it's gonna bottleneck.
    @squishpoke Personally, i'd wait.. with the upcoming OpenGL / DX11 changes very soon ...well, I can't say anymore than that, but yeah.. just wait, friend. ;)

Could you please define "very soon" ? :)
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Could anyone provide a quick howto on having the MSI Afterburner OSD show in up NS2?
    I poked around in the options but no joy.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited June 2013
    It should work just by setting up the usual hot keys and all that. Then just hitting the monitoring tab and check whatever you want it to display:

osd.jpg

Though you have to have NS2 running in full screen. Does not work otherwise.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    It should work just by setting up the usual hot keys and all that. Then just hitting the monitoring tab and check whatever you want it to display:

osd.jpg

Though you have to have NS2 running in full screen. Does not work otherwise.

Cheers, I had it running in windowed full screen, it shows up in full screen mode!

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited June 2013
    Recorded a video with a few players on a server testing out the performance.

I can't say for sure what my framerate was or how much the ARC's affected it since Fraps usually bogs down my machine significantly when recording. I play with everything off at 1080p.

Joining the server took FOREVER though (not exclusive to 249; frequently occur in 248 as well). Got stuck in "PRECACHING" for several minutes while it sounded like my HDD was about to die.

It precaches until 10% then loads fast, I have this same problem and it sounds like my hard drive is being shitted on as well
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Probably grenade launcher bug found in Beta 249?
    I tested the GL in 248 and 249 beta.

In 248 the grenades have an amount of friction to them and don't slide to far after hitting the ground.

Now in 249 beta, the GL got new technology ammunition upgrades. The Grenades are now frictionless because "It Hovars Without Flapping" above ground. So that makes Grenades basically ground torpedoes, awesome! So in beta 249 Grenades hovar about 5 centimeters (2 Inches) above ground when they hit the ground. So now this ground-ground-torpedo is on its way but when it hits an obstacle (like stairs for example in Cafeteria) it shoots up in the air just to drop on the ground again so it can hovar further on its way to destruction.
    Additionally there is a ghost or fake grenade upgrade which is being induced at the right angle and obstacle. So while visually the nade fakes its position its ghost explodes somewhere else. It seems that the fake nade and ghost nade are splitting up their directions after hitting an obstacle.

So overall the new improved GL ammunition is an enhancement, NOOOOT?! :D
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Husar wrote: »

In 248 the grenades have an amount of friction to them and don't slide to far after hitting the ground.

Now in 249 beta, the GL got new technology ammunition upgrades. The Grenades are now frictionless because "It Hovars Without Flapping" above ground. So that makes Grenades basically ground torpedoes, awesome! So in beta 249 Grenades hovar about 5 centimeters (2 Inches) above ground when they hit the ground. So now this ground-ground-torpedo is on its way but when it hits an obstacle (like stairs for example in Cafeteria) it shoots up in the air just to drop on the ground again so it can hovar further on its way to destruction.
    Additionally there is a ghost or fake grenade upgrade which is being induced at the right angle and obstacle. So while visually the nade fakes its position its ghost explodes somewhere else. It seems that the fake nade and ghost nade are splitting up their directions after hitting an obstacle.

All you need to do now is find the right angle from marine start, so that you can research GLs and spam them across the map all the way to the hive. Bwahaha.
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    FSFOD IS A WITCH! BURN HIM!
  • turtalturtal Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183035Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This is it. Now this is a game that I can gladly recommend to my friends. I knew the engine was the issue because most of the recent games runs smoothly on my really very old computer. Here are the specs (under computer). In build 248 I was playing on 1366x768 resolution, everything on low except texture details were on medium and multicore rendering was on. I could hardly hit 40-50fps on combat at midgame and the end game was arround 30fps. I couldn't play in public 16+p servers because of this very reason. Then, I've started playing gathers (it's 6v6 but also gather servers have ensl maps -less lights, more fps-).

With this build though it's a whole different story. I can only imagine re-coding most of the engine with a very limited staff so first of all, I bow to you guys. There isn't much to say really.. Now the game runs smoothly at 1080p res, everything is turned on, except textures are on medium (when I set to high, micro shutters start, seriously though, how much vram does the high setting need?) shaders at medium (off is better after midgame), AA is off (due to the performance impact, i may fiddle with the nvidia cp after 249 is released) and Vsync-Triple- is also turned off (causes mouse lag for some reason but since the engine don't tear like source, keeping it off is not a problem). I hit 55-60+fps at the begining and it's constant like that. Sometimes it drops to 45-50 but seriously, compared to the 248 build, it's a huge fucking improvement (pardon the language, I'm that excited).

I hope you sort out the minor bugs and release it soon. (last night the game froze the computer when I exit the game, then it came back after 2 minutes. happened only once -out of 10 maybe more games-. I can provide more information if needed)
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited June 2013
    Husar wrote: »

http://i41.tinypic.com/jf7prl.jpg
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    Not many people playing, i played a 30 min game without any bugs.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited June 2013

I can't say for sure what my framerate was or how much the ARC's affected it since Fraps usually bogs down my machine significantly when recording. I play with everything off at 1080p.

Joining the server took FOREVER though (not exclusive to 249; frequently occur in 248 as well). Got stuck in "PRECACHING" for several minutes while it sounded like my HDD was about to die.

You've probably got the game installed on the same drive as your OS, if that is the case, try to get another hard drive and install the game on that and play it, it makes a HUGE difference.

Brings minutes of loading time down to about 40 seconds for first load and then 10 seconds for sequential load (on my PC anyway, i don't have SSD).

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Didn't notice any difference. FPS 50-60 in ready room, 30-50 in game as usual, i5 2500k 4GHz overclock
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    played alone for 3 mins at Veil as skulk, fps counter at 60-70 fps, but feels like 30, especially at fast mouse movements, i don't know why
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    Thanks @husar for the bug report!

@peregrinus what does r_stats say for you?
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    went and tested it in an actual game... no significant improvement whatsoever. Would start with 120fps, then drop to 70-80 if I switched weapons or if there was even 1 skulk on my screen, any sort of mouse movement near lights would also drop it significantly. Probably works great on the NSL maps but it's still super inconsistent. Didn't really drop lower than 60 which is cool I guess, but jumping from 120 to 60 and back up again feels really weird

Hoping it'll help more on the NSL maps, I have a feeling it was all the lights that were really causing the FPS drops.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    DarkflameQ wrote: »

You've probably got the game installed on the same drive as your OS, if that is the case, try to get another hard drive and install the game on that and play it, it makes a HUGE difference.

Brings minutes of loading time down to about 40 seconds for first load and then 10 seconds for sequential load (on my PC anyway, i don't have SSD).

That shouldn't be required, there's some type of issue with something. It renders very slowly to exactly 10% then immediately flies up to 100%, during the load it sounds like the hard drive is really, really struggling

• LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    peregrinus wrote: »
    Didn't notice any difference. FPS 50-60 in ready room, 30-50 in game as usual, i5 2500k 4GHz overclock

I have the same cpu, 3x the FPS. (150-200) I don't get it.