Beta Build 249 Released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Locklear wrote: »
    peregrinus wrote: »
    Didn't notice any difference. FPS 50-60 in ready room, 30-50 in game as usual, i5 2500k 4GHz overclock

I have the same cpu, 3x the FPS. (150-200) I don't get it.

Well, he didnt mention his gfx card or graphics settings (res, quality, ...).
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    And my benchmark is from nsl maps :>

wtb nsl_docking
  • xtalxtal aka X-rayCat Join Date: 2009-06-28 Member: 67961Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Didn't notice any difference. FPS 50-60 in ready room, 30-50 in game as usual, i5 2500k 4GHz overclock

Well, he didnt mention his gfx card or graphics settings (res, quality, ...).

Yea! probably weak gfx card?. With i3-3220 (2x3,3Ghz) and HD5770, I get 100fps ready room, normal game 50-70 (rare 40fps).

What is nice about this build is by my personal feeling, even if you get down to 40fps it feels more like 40fps, build 248 40fps felt worse.
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Runteh wrote: »
    All you need to do now is find the right angle from marine start, so that you can research GLs and spam them across the map all the way to the hive. Bwahaha.
    This strategy needs furter investigation! :)
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    Not many people playing, i played a 30 min game without any bugs.
    GL sub-ground-marine on its way! xD
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Thanks @husar for the bug report!
    You're welcome! Just found it out fooling around alone with everything on a self-hosted listen server, like I always do after a new release.

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited June 2013
    The minimap in docking is buggy looking. See screenshot below.

Stuck spot in generator room, I fell down a gap beside the ramp. Impossible to crouch and go under the ramp.

http://i.imgur.com/6XZjZC0.jpg

@peregrinus what does r_stats say for you?

Thanks. Here: in ready room and in the map on an empty server (couldn't find a populated one)

http://i.imgur.com/P7Aj3FE.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/l0FljPw.jpg

The processor is 3.3GHz overclocked to 4GHz to be clear.

Windows 7 Premium 64 bit, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 560 Ti and about 800GB free space on 1TB hard drive - if any of that means anything :D

I use minimal infestation so I can spot aliens better and it gives me about 3fps improvement. Rest of settings are on high I believe. See screenshots above.

• MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members
    I get 15 FPS on Descent using an Thinkpad X230 (Subnotbook) with i5 and Intel HD 4000 on 1368x768 and everything set to low. I can boost the FPS a lot when playing at very low resolutions, but then I can't read the interface etc. so this is still unplayable. :( Ping was 22. Guess the main bottleneck for me is the renderer. Loading times were also way too long. It took ~10 minutes until the map was loaded. Thanks for this important patch, but it seems there is still a lot to do if you want to compete with heavily optimised mainstream engines like Source 1.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer

Stuck spot in generator room, I fell down a gap beside the ramp. Impossible to crouch and go under the ramp.

Thanks. Here: in ready room and in the map on an empty server (couldn't find a populated one)

Windows 7 Premium 64 bit, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 560 Ti and about 800GB free space on 1TB hard drive - if any of that means anything :D

I use minimal infestation so I can spot aliens better and it gives me about 3fps improvement. Rest of settings are on high I believe. See screenshots above.

Ambient Occlusion set to High drains FPS like hell, try disabling it. Also Shadows have a big impact as well, try experimenting with all the settings to low then progressively back up (if you want, ofc), etc.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Do you have Vertical Sync enabled?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members

Ambient Occlusion set to High drains FPS like hell, try disabling it. Also Shadows have a big impact as well, try experimenting with all the settings to low then progressively back up (if you want, ofc), etc.

Thanks. Disabling it gives me about 100 fps in ready room and 60-80 fps in game :D

Makes the game look old gen but worth it.
    Milanium wrote: »
    I get 15 FPS on Descent using an Thinkpad X230 (Subnotbook) with i5 and Intel HD 4000 on 1368x768 and everything set to low. I can boost the FPS a lot when playing at very low resolutions, but then I can't read the interface etc. so this is still unplayable. :( Ping was 22. Guess the main bottleneck for me is the renderer. Loading times were also way too long. It took ~10 minutes until the map was loaded. Thanks for this important patch, but it seems there is still a lot to do if you want to compete with heavily optimised mainstream engines like Source 1.

You didn't really believe that NS2 will EVER run fluently on your subnotebook(!) which even doesn't nearly reach minimum requirements, did you? I mean HD 4000 is an CPU integrated graphic card which doesn't have its own VRAM but has to use the DDR RAM of you subnotebook which makes it to slow besides the obvious lack of computing power. And comparing the old Source Engine to the Spark engine is a little bit inappropriate, don't you think?

I am sorry but NS2 will NEVER run satisfyingly on your current system no matter what optimization will come up in the future. Your subnotebook is below doday's low end gaming PCs, thats the truth you have to face disregarding a subnotebook is not made for gaming but for mobility and long endurance on one battery load.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013

Thanks. Disabling it gives me about 100 fps in ready room and 60-80 fps in game :D

Makes the game look old gen but worth it.

It also unfortunately comes with pretty hefty mouse input delay due to it's very nature. (don't think a developer has gotten around this yet.)

Edit : @milanium sorry to bear bad news, but your specs are below minimum requirements and therefore aren't even guaranteed to run the game, let alone run it well. and like others said that device was never intended for pc gaming either. :-\
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited June 2013

It also unfortunately comes with pretty hefty mouse input delay due to it's very nature. (don't think a developer has gotten around this yet.)

I've heard that adaptive vsync (nvidia specific I believe) eliminates or lowers "input lag" caused by vsync (which adds latency by its very design), but I don't know how or see why and I don't even really know what adaptive vsync is... it may just be a myth. Anyone knows more about the subject?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is Ambient Occlusion disabled by default for everyone? It should be if not, it's a pretty massive FPS drop. I'm not even sure why the option exists honestly, it seems like it just creates the potential for people to unknowingly cripple their FPS.
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    lwf wrote: »
    I've heard that adaptive vsync ... Anyone knows more about the subject?

It just means vsync is turned off when the FPS drops below native refresh rates. It plays just like vsync off for lower frames, and vsync on with a very good framerate. I use it to make the game feel more consistent, because the drop from 60 to 40 fells less jarring than having a much wider range. It was much more useful on my system for the beta, since it stayed around 60fps more consistently.
    @Zek
    Well, I use Ambient Occlusion at "HIGH" setting because it looks better and gives the game a less flat look. Though I must admit that this option eats your FPS for breakfast. But since I am using VSYNC and the average frame rate dances around 60FPS like my monitor at 60Hz at max setting I am OK with keeping it on.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @Husar

Could you please stop posting? Your avatar is hypnotic and makes my brain explode! And my cat! :p
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ironhorse seems to be making out that OpenGL and D3D are also going to make a big difference. It will be interesting to see what this does as well?
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Runteh wrote: »
    Ironhorse seems to be making out that OpenGL and D3D are also going to make a big difference. It will be interesting to see what this does as well?
    OpenGL at least is faster than DX, even on Windows.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I just had a quick go on this to see how it plays out. It definitely feels smoother for sure. I think I still need an upgrade but it's a VERY welcome improvement!! Great job, UWE keep it coming :) Can't wait for this to go live, I seem to be dropping to 20/30 in mid-game fights in vanilla, and no wonder that makes it rather hard against decent opponents!!
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    2d0x wrote: »
    played alone for 3 mins at Veil as skulk, fps counter at 60-70 fps, but feels like 30, especially at fast mouse movements, i don't know why
    sorry guys, this is my mistake, game was in windowed fullscreen, with "fullscreen" and 12 crags on base i have 48-50 fps
    i7-750 oc to 3.6, oc gtx 560ti448
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    @lwf

If i use the ingame vsync, i have the "normal" input delay. But with adaptive vsync i cant notice delay and it runs butter smooth @ 60 fps. So its not only a "turn off/on" feature. There is definitly a noticable difference.
    @KwisatzHaderach
    Post, just to see your cat explode! >:):D
    edited June 2013
    @IronHorse
    Further map bugs in 249 beta:

Wrong clipping in landing pad at Docking:
    787EC06E80C01DBDE110A78189E14D79F7057F82

Sometimes get stuck on the elevator in east wing at docking:
    55C42D81ED2A87B44A85B05F9CD4360D7296CE4F
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    I saw macs drop through those same stairs once.

I think they landed in Nano or maybe Y junction.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    I've fixed the escalators/stairs/whateveryouwantocallthem. The clipping on the glass on landing pad has been there for like 100 builds though.
    edited June 2013
    @dux
    Uuuhm...really? for like 100 builds. well being abstinent for 3 month let me forget a lot of things I guess. Though it doesn't make the clipping error(?) better or less awkward. Thanks for fixing the escalator (why did I call it elevator, maybe because I had problems with the elevation?). I will check this out. But what is about the grenade torpedoes? Is that purposely done or is it because LUAJIT computes now faster?

EDIT: yes escalators fixed indeed. Thanks.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    This out now? 80 meg update just come down my way.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    This out now? 80 meg update just come down my way.

Yep.
  • PoliniPolini Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164602Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Is, they wrote it on twitter, and the changelog is coming too.

Ops, i got Ninjaed!!