Beta Build 249 Released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    20 bucks Nvidia/AMD are cursing UWE for increasing performance on older hardware.
  • AdolfinAdolfin Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183958Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No crashes as of yet.
    Frame rate from 60-100 to 100-150 (All settings low, 3770k gtx 680, 8gb RAM)
    Game feels reaaaally smooth on my 120hz now (lightboost ON)

• ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A quick question, are there many games on this or I am I better off staying in the current build?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Glad so many are getting improvements. I didn't see much. Haven't been able to get into a full game to really test it past the point of moving around an empty map though.

Now we just need a more interesting (BT) game, an interesting new map, some interesting grenades, an interesting womanly marine and then a relaunch could be interesting.

Oh, and Docking looks incredible. Jaw dropped when I walked out into courtyard.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Despite putting a bomb on my cat it did not detonate. Oh well. There is always next update.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    I'm getting 0-7 fps during 200 drifter hallucination rush as a commander. Some times crashes server.

Other then that late game is officially playable now.

I'm intersted to see where the steady 60fps line is in terms of hardware.

I'm on an i5 650 @3.8ghtz
    8gb ddr3 1600
    AMD HD7870

Getting 120ish early game, was 110 before. 90ish late game, was 25-30 before. My monitors are 60htz but somehow the early game still "feels" smoother then before too. Pretty happy about all this.

Next: openGL and Linux client. Pat your selves on the back and get back in your dev hole. <3
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    20 bucks Nvidia/AMD are cursing UWE for increasing performance on older hardware.

They are the ones happy, at least the GPU side.
    Can anyone update me on my previous post?
    ellnic wrote: »
    A quick question, are there many games on this or I am I better off staying in the current build?

• 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    It can take a while but switching back and forth is so fast, under a minute or so at 2mbs. Totally worth checking out.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Should only be ~65 MB to download the beta, just fyi.
    Jekt wrote: »
    I didn't see much. Haven't been able to get into a full game to really test it past the point of moving around an empty map though.
    You won't see much difference in a scenario like that unless your computer was previously really chugging along/ low spec.
    Its the CPU intensive scenarios that have plagued NS2 since the beginning that have been improved mostly - with the added benefit of "smooth" responsive frames as well.
    (and maybe room to improve interp and client update rate finally too , who knows)

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Less bendy bullets in NS2 is the stuff of dreams.
    0ni wrote: »
    It can take a while but switching back and forth is so fast, under a minute or so at 2mbs. Totally worth checking out.

Ill check it out then since steam usually downloads at around 8mbs for me.
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    just curious, if this implementation of luajit is done by fsfod (excellent job btw, missing your non-flash mod too!), did he take over max's luajit project? because I thought max was working it and was surprised to see fsfod's name. Is max solely working on OpenGL and D11D now?
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Second MzMz's compliments and questions.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I've got so use to compensating for the subtle stuttering effect and fluctuating fps count that the performance increase made it hard for me to aim. I am impressed.
    I'll need to spend some more time with it, but first impressions are very good.
    Nice work.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Is luajit making it's way into nonbeta anytime soon?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    xen32 wrote: »
    Is luajit making it's way into nonbeta anytime soon?

I'd say probably in Build 249.
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The only issue I see with the update is that egglocking and IP rushing is still possible. ;) Just checked it out, can't find any populated servers, but I'm not seeing any FPS spiking/CPU stuttering anymore. Impressive update, hope to see it out soon! Definitely make it a big announcement that the game is running much more functionally and hold a discount in the steam summer deals, hopefully drive some new meat in.
    edited June 2013
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Incredible.

I just tried this with Sewlek's BT. The skulk/fade movement are glorious. Can't wait for the new movement to be integrated and for this build to be released. It feels like a whole new game.

I'd love to play a game with the BT in this build but there are no servers hosting it yet and trying to host a local one had some issues with the starting hive cysts and some of the fade effects. Not sure if the fade blink effects are bugged in vanilla too, I'll have to take another look some time. But yeah, this is pretty awesome.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I got about 15fps improvement on average. I am surprised that my gpu is now my limiting factor. I wish ns2 would accept and overclock over 1050 like every other game does...

Game feels more smooth in general.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2013
    Didn't get much of a performance boost whatsoever in an empty server. Still drops down to 30-40 fps depending on the where I look in the map, despite Waiting For GPU always showing 0 ms. Got to see how it handles action loaded moments, but thus far I couldn't notice any difference at all, except for slightly shorter timeouts after packetloss.

Bot matches are a lot more fluid, though.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Empty maps should not give you much difference. its mid/lategame where you would see the real difference.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2013
    This is great news. With better performance, the need for a functional fps limit command also increases, though. It would be really great if you could sort out the problems with the maxfps command in time for full release of this patch.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    I get about 10-15 more FPS when there's not much going on, but more importantly, it feels a *lot* smoother overall, and FPS is much more stable during fights and end-game. We had a nice 50-minute game on the [T.W.A.T.] 249 test server, and everything looked stable as well.

The only thing is that skulks and fades will need a buff when this goes live... they are a lot easier to hit now :D Noticed from playing both sides.

Specs: i5-2500k, Radeon HD6850, both at stock speeds

Some FPS impressions glanced from r_stats:
    - Running around, early game: ~70 -> 80-100
    - In-fight, early game: ~40 -> ~60 maybe?
    - End game: ~30-40 (playing like 15) -> ~40-70 (and plays like it)

GPU seems to be the limiting factor now, which is great.

(edit: server name got filtered ^^)
  • ExplosifBeExplosifBe Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58284Forum Admins, Playtest Lead, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    fanatic wrote: »
    This is great news. With better performance, the need for a functional fps limit command also increases, though. It would be really great if you could sort out the problems with the max_fps command in time for full release of this patch.

What do you mean? It's not working or doesn't feel smooth?
    If it's not working it may be because it's maxfps, without underscore
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    RedSword wrote: »
    Yeah; server browser should have an information being the build of the server itself; so the server owner doesn't have to add it manually and update it every patch...

I would suggest listing them with a game mode of "ns2 beta" automatically. Putting stuff in server names is just clunky.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    MzMz wrote: »
    just curious, if this implementation of luajit is done by fsfod (excellent job btw, missing your non-flash mod too!), did he take over max's luajit project? because I thought max was working it and was surprised to see fsfod's name. Is max solely working on OpenGL and D11D now?

I think that there was a re-implementation of Lua specialized for NS2 ("Rocket") but wasn't based on LuaJIT.

• ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Just with that ns2servers was working so we could easily compare the tick over time between beta and live.

Lets just hope this is only the beginning of even more improvements down the road. I keep telling people think of the performance was a year ago vs today and then 6months ago. Is there still work to be done even with this latest version, yes. However, every month NS2 is getting closer and closer to having smooth gameplay even on long maps. Just imagine where we will be a year from now!