Build 249 [Beta]

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
edited June 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Anybody else that's opted in notice significant FPS boost? Haven't done a full server late-game yet, but there does seem to be improvement. Had a 10 player match with the whole map cysted and many strucutres that handled better than build 248.

*Edited title to ensure its known as an opt in steam beta version, (Right click NS2 in your library > properties > Beta tab) and not officially released or typically downloaded just yet. -Ironhorse*

Comments

• XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Obv in that game before I white box crashed in XR, I've never seen the other side of 110 FPS before, let alone 150, they've optimised the hell out of something at the start of the game.

I'd say over all it's about the same performance increase as the NSL maps, some people found 10-15 constant FPS like I have, others aren't getting a lot, i7 3.4k 7950.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    On an i7 2600K @ 4.5 GHz + GTX 680, the game hardly goes below 100 fps. With lots of structures and a bit of combat, it went down to 80 at most. Certainly a lot better than going down to 50. I wanna see how it looks like with a lot of stuff going on, but so far it looks like there was a noticeable improvement.

This is with all graphics on low except for textures, AA and AF, at 1920x1080.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh very nice, was everything on max settings? i get 50fps with all on max and drops to like 20-30 end game so, wanna see this!
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Hmm I tested bots and the difference is pretty intense between 248 vs 249. Everyone should get in on this to test their computer.
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Yes, welcome it's the public's first look at what fsfod has been hard at work for, I hope a lot a lot of people try it out then report back if you happen to encounter any issues, but you should be in for a bit of a treat regardless, since we were all really excited to see this get out as a beta build. :D
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    didn't see much boost on my side, maybe a few FPS, but my computer is bottlenecked by my video card so I expected that. Everyone on the server with me was calling out pretty huge boosts
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    Hmm I tested bots and the difference is pretty intense between 248 vs 249. Everyone should get in on this to test their computer.
    CPU intensive scenarios like bots or late game will benefit the most from this, from our observations.
    I personally benchmarked a difference of ~40 fps compared to live build with a 30+ structure and 24 bots all in one room fighting scenario - but see only around a 10-15% FPS improvement during any typical moment. This is very dependent of your hardware and varies.

But this is all shadowed, imo, by the subtle and subjective "feel" that things are smoother. I suspect less variance in fps is to thank.

I can't wait to play opengl and luajit together now :-D
    Look for the easter egg in this build.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited June 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    CPU intensive scenarios like bots or late game will benefit the most from this, from our observations.
    I personally benchmarked a difference of ~40 fps compared to live build with a 30+ structure and 24 bots all in one room fighting scenario - but see only around a 10-15% FPS improvement during any typical moment. This is very dependent of your hardware and varies.

But this is all shadowed, imo, by the subtle and subjective "feel" that things are smoother. I suspect less variance in fps is to thank.

I can't wait to play opengl and luajit together now :-D
    Look for the easter egg in this build.

That was the same result I got with an i7 920 @ 4.2 GHz. Really curious at how a normal large player game would go with exos and structures everywhere. Too bad no servers are full atm but we did have a small game with the entire map full of alien structures and it was above 60 the entire time. Impressed that they managed such a huge change I did not think it was possible.

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Is it the Opengl adaptation thats coming into 249?
    because that would provide a SIGNIFICANT fps boost on all but the newer nvidia graphics cards (a-holes stopped supporting it)
    Or, if its not done yet.. alot of optimishations? maybe the textures?
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    FLuX wrote: »
    Yes, welcome it's the public's first look at what fsfod has been hard at work for
    So this isn't the luajit change, then? Because that was something Max was working on, right? What has fsfod done that's produced such notable performance improvements?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This is @fsfod 's luajit implementation.
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • ErriiieeeeErriiieeee Join Date: 2011-05-12 Member: 98431Members
    I can't join the only server with the beta. Keeps telling me my files are inconsistent with the server. I tried doing a file integrity check with no luck.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yes and my client updated right after. Only three serves showing up and I keep getting kicked from the only populated server.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    What file does your console say is failing check?
    Nothing is popping up the console. The game just keeps telling me my files don't match the servers. I don't think I'm getting any servers that are running the beta.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Erriiieeee wrote: »
    I can't join the only server with the beta. Keeps telling me my files are inconsistent with the server. I tried doing a file integrity check with no luck.

Only the Team156 BETA server is running 249, even tho you will still see all the normal servers they aren't running 249 but still on 248 so 99% of servers will block you from joining. Blame the server browser for that one, and team156 is the only 249 server I've seen so far.
    Erriiieeee wrote: »
    Nothing is popping up the console. The game just keeps telling me my files don't match the servers. I don't think I'm getting any servers that are running the beta.

When you get that error the console always puts out a line that says what file failed consistency check, doesn't matter though, do what Xao said.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    I'm noticing a 25fps+ increase, notably in structural based performance.
    On Docking's Departure, I filled the hive with 20 crags and got 50 fps from top-down view. and 60fps in first-person

On Beta Docking's Departure, I did the same thing and got 80fps top down-view and 90 fps in first person

Graphic settings were on high except resolution (1280x720) and decals were about half an inch to the right.

Rig:
    Video Card: MSI GTX 660ti Superclocked Edition 2GB
    CPU: i5 3550 3.3Ghz
    RAM: 8GB
    Resolution: 1280x720p (native: 1600x900)
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Wow that is pretty good fps for 3.3ghz, I don't think I even got that with 4.4ghz i7 3770k in normal LUA. Can't wait to test when I get home
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I've got few extra FPS here and there as well.
    When should we expect this released fully? Looks promising.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    But 20 Crags do nothing that one does (in the future), so? You proved a systemic failure of egg insuffi=ciency awareness.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Any balance/map/other non-tech changes in the beta?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    For me it greatly improved the performance late game. Not only fps wise, but even at lower fps it felt smoother. Clearly a big improvement.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    BUG: Docking's (mini)map is white-ish

Not sure what to think of the new Docking... it had unique rooms, now they are becoming more generic. Let's see how it plays :)
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    edited June 2013
    Slight FPS boost here, but I only tried early game with bots as there's no servers. Will report back when I played an actual game.

i5 2500k 4.5ghz / GTX 560Ti

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Most people playing NS2 are CPU bound. In other words, their CPU is slower than their graphics chip at keeping up with NS2.

With the 249 Beta, I'm actually fully GPU bottle-necked for the first time. I was planning on upgrading my i7 920 to a Haswell, but actually thanks to @fsfod I now only need to upgrade my GeForce 470Ti to get a even bigger framerate increase in NS2.

Type r_stats in console, and if you're getting consistently higher than Zero on '0 waiting for GPU' then you would see another performance increase with a new graphics card.
  • ArtfunkelArtfunkel Join Date: 2013-05-10 Member: 185184Members
    Definitely faster in a local bot server. The game has stopped loading mod .entry files though, is that intentional?
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    edited June 2013
    I get 30 fps boost with this build.