BT Mod: Skulk Movement - Video

male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation

Gives you an idea of the speed you can achieve linking multiple walljumps together...

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Magnificent, survives a whole minut without sneezing or crashing!
    Perdy good.
  • SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    [VGTG][VGS]

I'll have to try jumping around on summit. I've been using veil as a practice map but it's really hard to maintain speed through the 90º turns, summit looks like it would be better for getting the mechanics down (or at least you made it seem easy xD). I can get that fast on veil but definitely can't maintain it for that long.
  • KenshikenKenshiken Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182698Members
    My body is ready for those changes.
  • Qwurty2.0Qwurty2.0 Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177431Members
    edited May 2013
    Who needs bullets when you have can use a Skulk travelling at supersonic speeds!
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Even at that speed the skulk moves in a very predictable manner when entering a fight. So without support from other players he will be picked off easily. But its really good for traveling and entering a engagement that another skulk started.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    So is celerity even worth anything now with speed caps that high?
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »

Yeah dude its pretty crazy on a fade, and it makes it a lot easier to pick up speed
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue

Yes, moving around during combat.

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    And to help new players move reasonably faster without having to learn some advanced movement system. Speed cap is like ~16 speed i think, and a few leaps will get you there pretty easily. Most of the mechanical skill involved doing this is kinda obsolete when you get leap/cele.

But its still fun to do, and i think that's what mf is focusing on.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yea it definitely looks fun.
    Makes me wish the lerk could go faster than 12 speed in BT mod - going up and down like a roller coasting (which actually travels less ground than if you were to be going straight, gliding) spamming spacebar is not my idea of fun or skilled like this video demonstrates - nor do i think you can even reach skulk speeds as a lerk?

Thanks for the responses so far, definitely great points.
  • Marshall_DrumminMarshall_Drummin Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174115Members
    so we're moving back towards b239 skulks.
    this community is full of irony
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited May 2013
    @Marshall_Drummin
    Lol, you really have no clue. BT skulk movement trades speed for predictability, if I even try and curve in the air or try and bounce between walls i'll come to a complete stop. B239 allowed you to reach similar speeds but without the predictability.

In this video I am basically travelling in a straight line, even the most basic marine would be able to shut me down.

@IronHorse
    Yes, celerity is a requirement still. It takes me 4-5 jumps to hit near top speed, maybe 2-3 with celerity. Also celerity better for combat

@Grissi
    Damn right :) Kind of like full speed cele bhop in NS1, damn fast but damn predictable. Speaking of which, you need to make some video's bro cause you are better than me at this stuff :)

@Ezekel
    Why the disagree! Sif!

The best part of this video is watching myself do it, I can see where I can improve. It's technically possible (done it once or twice) to travel from computer labs to flight control without hitting the ground so the skill ceiling is very damn high. I've put about 20 hours of play into BT mod, imagine 500+. Skill ceiling is so damn high!!! lurveeeeeeeee it

I have one problem with the BT skulk movement though, at those speeds the skulk is travelling basically silent to an incoming marine. This needs to be resolved, its a massive problem...

Fade has similar movement mechanics, however much easier cause of not needing to walljump.

• invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Lower the the cap to 12 IMO - That is ridiculously fast...
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The only complaint I have is I feel the skill ceiling for this is still too low to achieve something this good.
    edited May 2013
    @ghosthree3 i believe you mean "skill floor is too high" ? ... the ceiling represents the highest that can be achieved - and thats exactly what this video demonstrates.
    Whereas a "high skill floor" would mean a steep entrance / difficult learning curve.
    I have one problem with the BT skulk movement though, at those speeds the skulk is travelling basically silent to an incoming marine. This needs to be resolved, its a massive problem...
    Yea, the skulk's "grunt" sound when he successfully walljumps should be audible to the rest of the world.
    Same goes for the lerk's gliding "woosh" sound ... that way you wont have to make an unintuitive mechanic where you have to arbitrarily tap the spacebar at intervals - which is just confusing thanks to the immediate impression of preserving momentum through gliding.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @ironhorse you're right, I always get the two mixed up. What I mean is, imo it is too easy to achieve speeds this good, it's not like quake bhopping where hours upon hours of practice are required just to master the basics to get any noticeable improvement.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Learning how to do it and using it effectively during a game is not the same thing. A easy trap that players often fall into is relying to much on the speed and get picked off easily when they engage poorly.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    That video looks fun. But from a marine's perspective, it seems too fast for starting skulks. I'd prefer Skulk movement to be tweaked so max speed can only be achieved with leap and celerity to keep those upgrades relevant.
    (Edit: I have underestimated the difficulty of maintaining max speed like male_fatalities did. Kudos to you MF! I would be happy to see just the max speed reduced to around 10-12.)

The grunt sound is functional, but quickly becomes annoying after a few minutes of playing. A new set of sounds (to add variation) would be nice.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited May 2013
    @ghosthree3 i believe you mean "skill floor is too high" ? ... the ceiling represents the highest that can be achieved - and thats exactly what this video demonstrates.

Trust me, that is not the highest skill ceiling. I've been able to go from ventilation -> flight control hitting the ground twice, but could not pull it off for the recording.

@Ghostthree3
    Hmm.. I disagree. Although that is about 20 hours of playing BT mod, i've invested a stupid amount of hours into practicing all variations/implementations of walljump. To pick that up in a few hours from scratch would be insane

However, the movement mechanic should be easy. The skill is the decision making behind when to / not use it.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    I think mf might of made this look a bit easier than it is. The chain jumps in vent and the uneven rock surface in comp in particular, if you mess it up at all you're back to square one. Celerity and leap are still both extremely useful upgrades - even if you are capable of gaining momentum from a stop in a few clever wall-wall glances. Both upgrades shine in combat, celerity tones down the momentum punishment from trying some more outlandish dodges and weaves. It's also a beastly choice for fades, and as long as leap propels skulks upwards it's always going to be relevant and a mid-late game requirement.
    edited May 2013
    fyi to all, unfortunately as I thought might happen they have now gimped movement in bt mod.

You can no where get speeds like this video anymore. There is a deacceleration when bhopping on the ground of about 0.5 per touch, so far doing these same routes I can only get to speed 14 chaining multiple walljumps for it to go back to speed 10-11 withom 2 seconds of hitting the ground.

I personally find it quite useless now :( To travel that fast (speed 10-11) and still have to go in a straight line is very frustrating after seeing its potential. Celerity also sees nearly no benefits as well due to bleeding speed when bhopping.

@Sewlek
    Put an artificial cap on speed of 14-16, but allow us to keep the speed bhopping and not drain off when touching the ground.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester

Yeah, had that happen to me a couple of times. Just sitting there for an RT to drop, checking the minimap, then all of the sudden a projectile skulk turns the corner and flies into your face. I've seen them fly around in packs too. Some scary shit man. :)
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    invTempest wrote: »
    Lower the the cap to 12 IMO - That is ridiculously fast...
    Yup, agree. 12 would be approximately the same cap as ns1 had, 1.7x base speed.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    All this talk of having to spend hours mastering something begs the question: Who are we targeting here? Are we targeting the casual player who wants to have as much fun the first time they open the game as every other time? Or the hardcore "gamer" who is willing to waste away in front of his monitor for hours mastering a tiny element of the game? I can guarantee that there are a lot more of the first group than the second.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited May 2013
    Calego wrote: »
    All this talk of having to spend hours mastering something begs the question: Who are we targeting here? Are we targeting the casual player who wants to have as much fun the first time they open the game as every other time? Or the hardcore "gamer" who is willing to waste away in front of his monitor for hours mastering a tiny element of the game? I can guarantee that there are a lot more of the first group than the second.

The changes will not affect casual gamers. At all.

It's like comparing something like tracking (aiming) - it gives skulks something that can scale more with player skill. Are casual players who don't track particularly well unable to enjoy/play the game? There have been players of all skill levels playing the game for months, and the sky hasn't fallen. The only thing the movement changes hope to accomplish is to bring some of that skill ceiling potential marines have to aliens as well. It will change absolutely nothing for the casual player. It's really not a "casual VS competitive" change, it is simply a change that aims to bring more depth to the game, so that those who do enjoy sinking hours into the game will have something more to explore, as opposed to hitting a rather static and boring skill ceiling that the skulk movement on live has now.

It takes nothing away from the current skulk movement. It only adds more.

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2013
    And here's some tutorials for how to do this yourself:

SKULK - i can get a moderate speed boost, but not the full. Wall jump + leap seem to be what I can do most reliably

FADE - so easy.

• CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    rantology wrote: »
    Are casual players who don't track particularly well unable to enjoy/play the game?

I'm not.
    rantology wrote: »
    The changes will not affect casual gamers. At all.

It's like comparing something like tracking (aiming) - it gives skulks something that can scale more with player skill. Are casual players who don't track particularly well unable to enjoy/play the game? There have been players of all skill levels playing the game for months, and the sky hasn't fallen. The only thing the movement changes hope to accomplish is to bring some of that skill ceiling potential marines have to aliens as well. It will change absolutely nothing for the casual player. It's really not a "casual VS competitive" change, it is simply a change that aims to bring more depth to the game, so that those who do enjoy sinking hours into the game will have something more to explore, as opposed to hitting a rather static and boring skill ceiling that the skulk movement on live has now.

It takes nothing away from the current skulk movement. It only adds more.
    While i agree overall, this assumes one thing:

That the skill floor is low enough so that the movement system is equally as accessible as the live build - and personally i do not find this to be the case when observing the frequent scenario of 24 player pubs with BT mod. They flail about and nearly freeze in air, mid jump, with barely any momentum - basically its like shooting fish in a barrel for any marine.
    I think it needs adjusting still.
    That the skill floor is low enough so that the movement system is equally as accessible as the live build - and personally i do not find this to be the case when observing the frequent scenario of 24 player pubs with BT mod. They flail about and nearly freeze in air, mid jump, with barely any momentum - basically its like shooting fish in a barrel for any marine.
    I think it needs adjusting still.

Yeah, it's exactly like shooting fish in a barrel. I'm a half-decent marine in the vanilla build, but I completely wreck skulks in the BT version. Between the improved hitreg, the larger bullet size, and the lack of air control for skulks, there's really just no chance for pub aliens right now. It's probably not too bad for comp play since it's more organized/less diving head on into marines, but the current skulk movement is awful for the average pubber.

bring 239 movement back plz? :D