BT Mod: Skulk Movement - Video

13»

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Alright everyone.. enough derailing with the personal squabbles, lets keep it on topic (and not about IAMKING's fade)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

I've tested it for a time. I use to be an really good Bunny Hoper. Like we were practically gliding in the map. I still do think this movement will not be great.

-You have to wait for the skulk to be on the ground to press "jump" again (standard wall jump). For me it's still bad. because of FOV and the surroundings. You may not see or think you're close to something and hit jump at the wrong time.
    -You have to press jump at the exact moment in order to wall jump (which look like bashing at the first tries). Which is in contradiction to the above.
    -Keyboard setting will have an impact on this. I use space to fire. I'm left handed (a no peasant will make me change). So you have to think about different key bindings. Which will only bring again the "mouse-wheel jump topic". And i'm all for it. The dev just have to filter it on the client and server side. Instead of processing :
    "jump - jump - jump - jump - jump - ... jump - jump (or fire)" it would only get 1 "jump" for let's say 100ms. As long as we get it back.

In fact, you can do this movement without using forward as it look like so much as BH.

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I've tested it for a time. I use to be an really good Bunny Hoper. Like we were practically gliding in the map. I still do think this movement will not be great.

-You have to wait for the skulk to be on the ground to press "jump" again (standard wall jump). For me it's still bad. because of FOV and the surroundings. You may not see or think you're close to something and hit jump at the wrong time.
    -You have to press jump at the exact moment in order to wall jump (which look like bashing at the first tries). Which is in contradiction to the above.
    -Keyboard setting will have an impact on this. I use space to fire. I'm left handed (a no peasant will make me change). So you have to think about different key bindings. Which will only bring again the "mouse-wheel jump topic". And i'm all for it. The dev just have to filter it on the client and server side. Instead of processing :
    "jump - jump - jump - jump - jump - ... jump - jump (or fire)" it would only get 1 "jump" for let's say 100ms. As long as we get it back.

In fact, you can do this movement without using forward as it look like so much as BH.

Have you tried holding down your <Jump> key/button before you touch a wall/floor? Queued jumping one of the new features in balance mod. :)
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    ^^ Queued jumping is a feature of the mod. I still think it would be better if we could just hold jump instead of having to queue it 1-2 seconds earlier... When chaining multiple walljumps (2-3) in a second you still have to mash spacebar.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Have you tried holding down your <Jump> key/button before you touch a wall/floor? Queued jumping one of the new features in balance mod. :)

Did it both ways to test all combinations. As i had to change my key bindings to use space for jumping, i was not in my usual comfort place but i achieved on NS2_tram (debugspeed on):
    *11.50~12.50 without celerity and no wall jump
    *13.50~14.00 with celerity and some (one or two not chained) wall jump

I'm sure i can do far better, and that brings the balance question: Should it be limited ?
    ^^ Queued jumping is a feature of the mod. I still think it would be better if we could just hold jump instead of having to queue it 1-2 seconds earlier... When chaining multiple walljumps (2-3) in a second you still have to mash spacebar.

QFT. You always end up "slaming" on a key. Unless you have determined a specific "route". Still; jump on keyboard sux. Any other game deal with it. dev should swallow their pride on this particular matter.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    Did it both ways to test all combinations. As i had to change my key bindings to use space for jumping, i was not in my usual comfort place but i achieved on NS2_tram (debugspeed on):
    *11.50~12.50 without celerity and no wall jump
    *13.50~14.00 with celerity and some (one or two not chained) wall jump

I'm sure i can do far better, and that brings the balance question: Should it be limited ?

I wonder how you achieved those speeds. My understanding is that Skulks can only exceed their normal speeds (~7) by wall jumping, or using a combination of leap and hopping. Would you like to share your method (or include a video)?
    I wonder how you achieved those speeds. My understanding is that Skulks can only exceed their normal speeds (~7) by wall jumping, or using a combination of leap and hopping. Would you like to share your method (or include a video)?

It's a mod : BT for Balance Test. You have videos on the OP.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    the game is basically at its dead phase and we're still have discussions about how we should fix movement in this game.

I've recently started up ns2 again, their are 30-50 active servers currently. the population has dropped dramatically over the months. Where are the developers? this is pretty crazy if you ask me. While performance is still the number one cause of this game failure, the second reason would be basically ignoring good ideas. (example, we're still having movement problem, STILL?!) Much more reasons to name...

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation

It's a mod : BT for Balance Test. You have videos on the OP.

The skulk movement seems to change every day. 2 days ago when I tested it, you gained basically no speed without walljumping. Today might be different. FYI, check out my 3rd post on the 1st page, the movement showcased in my original video is no longer possible... it was heavily nerfed.

@Luns
    I don't think it surprises anyone that movement is still an issue. The only reason its even being looked at is sewlek actually has an idea on what made NS1 so good...
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    luns wrote: »
    the game is basically at its dead phase and we're still have discussions about how we should fix movement in this game.

I've recently started up ns2 again, their are 30-50 active servers currently. the population has dropped dramatically over the months. Where are the developers? this is pretty crazy if you ask me. While performance is still the number one cause of this game failure, the second reason would be basically ignoring good ideas. (example, we're still having movement problem, STILL?!) Much more reasons to name...

One developer is working on this balance mod, and at least 3 deverlopers are working on performance. Yes, performance is a reason, but not the only one.
    Right now, current movement for skulk:
    Bhop only = 9 speed
    Walljump + bhop = 13-14 speed
    You bleed 0.2 speed per touch on the ground, so you can carry your speed over the ground if you build it up walljumping as long as you touch a wall every 2-3 bhops.

Probably the best and most BALANCED iteration of it. Good work Sewlek Also introduces a high amount of air control for those new skulks that keep hitting a brick wall in mid air when attempting to change direction to fast mid-jump. You can still relatively high speed, and with the increased air control its easier for new skulks to navigate the map.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members

Gives you an idea of the speed you can achieve linking multiple walljumps together...

THe problem with judging a players skill off a highly skilled movement video

If you play a game 6+ months and record every single movement you are bound to have atleast a few minutes of awesome move streaks
    Most highly skilled movement videos showcase the maps mistake rather than the highly skilled movers skill
    People purposefully attempting 100 wall jumps, record every single one and put the 1 time it did work into a movement video

Watching that video you can see how bad the maps he's playing against are. I don't know shit about NS2, but I played NS1 which had a similar low skill based movement system 1 guy should never be able to take out 3-4 corners unless the other team makes a stupid mistake.

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    hahah, even I lol'd at that one
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    reduced resource tower cost to 8
    - changed more extractor health to armor to be easier to weld up and to be more affected by infestation corrode effect

I'll presume the extractor cost/health is not a problem considering the amount of map coverage a skulk can cover with this much speed.
  • thelawenforcerthelawenforcer Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183176Members
    its all very good that skulks can move really quickly, but it shouldnt be at the expense of their regular handling characteristics which seems to be the case. in general though, i think that speed as skill is a pretty shallow perspective on what skulk movement could really be. while i can move more or less just as well as anyone with the BT skulk, i think a more comprehensively skillful approach would have been to use running speed and jump power modulation. it would be less mechanical and more accessible to boot.
    fyi Lawnenforcer, air control has been given back to the skulk. I would try it again incase you havent
  • thelawenforcerthelawenforcer Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183176Members
    i did, and i think its actually overkill and not whats needed (though i suggested it). i think more airaccel would be better, as it would allow you to gain speed in a particular direction faster, when you're in the air obviously, which is one of the big issues at the moment in combat. it would also give more uniform control at low speeds, rather than the speed:aircontrol ratio system thats currently in place? i made that suggestion also, but not sure if its been picked up.