Comments

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    A wild videocard appears, why is this one interesting?
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    It's not, stick with the 600 series

This is just a hold-over until the 800 series which will have real performance gains
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    The visual similarity between my graphics card and a stealth bomber is of the utmost importance.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Xyth wrote: »
    The visual similarity between my graphics card and a stealth bomber is of the utmost importance.
    I prefer my GPUs to blend in with Submarines.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The GTX780 is an overpriced joke.

There are folks that have no clue.
    And then there are folks that have no clue and too much money.
    Nvidia excels in fixing the latter situation.

Every 5 odd years they try to come up with the $999 GPU.
    Of course, there are buyers (see demographic above).
    Then the competition shows up and they have to slash prices massively, only a few weeks after release, which makes the nvidiots go crazy (but just for a while, like a beaten wife they are convinced that their violent husband them dearly and will gladly return for the next hospitalization).

5 years down the line they buy Titan SLI and today they are whining. Again.
    "Oh the tragedy! We bought an overpriced Titan and now there is a _less_ overpriced GPU that performs almost the same! Boohoo! Woe is us!"

This circle repeats ad infinitum. Amen.

With a GTX780 you get 15% more performance for a sexy 90% price increase over a HD7970/GTX680.
    I doubt you can even _sense_ those 15% extra fps.
    ^ It's just a hold off, I believe the 800 series will be the next step in performance increase

I'm just going to stick with my 680 until it struggles to get 120 fps in titles (cause I can't see my cpu doing that for the next 7 years~ in fact I expect cpu performance to increase once developers figure out or begin using 4 cores or more properly in their titles) so I expect the gpu to have a life span of 7 years as well (sounds crazy I know)

And when the time comes, I'll seriously look at prices and performance, and might actually go with AMD. While I do love my current card, amd simply performs the same for a much lesser price. Anyway
  • billetbillet Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161318Members
    Doesnt matter, still wont be able to run NS2 late game with decent frames at high res.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    That's why you get a SSD instead for NS2.
    Svenpa wrote: »
    That's why you get a SSD instead for NS2.

an ssd won't help, I load faster than people with SSD as well sadly, a lot of the precaching and stuff like that is done by the cpu, so the faster cpu will essentially load faster.. once everything is stored in ram and etc the fastest proc is the fastest loader
  • billetbillet Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161318Members
    An SSD wont do bugger all to frame rates. It will reduce loading times.
  • BlueEyedDragonBlueEyedDragon UK Join Date: 2013-05-23 Member: 185342Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    690 gtx plus a 3930K and I still get 24fps sometimes on NS2 lol
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

That's very odd considering my old i7 920 and 470 GTX virtually never hit that. Might want to update your SLI profiles/Drivers for that 690.

something is wrong on your end, im on a 680 with an 3770k and im 130-180 fps start game, then 60-115 fps mid-late game (still not something i'm happy with) but it's not 24 fps
  • BlueEyedDragonBlueEyedDragon UK Join Date: 2013-05-23 Member: 185342Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Iv got the lastest NS2 supported drivers from Nvidia.
    Not every game hits 25 fps, only the ones where the marines like to turtle and the alien comm throws down what ever he can to help out.
    Avg fps id say is about 70-90 start of the game then 40-50 mid-late game.
    Maybe NS2 doesn't like SLI?
    Iv got 16 gig ram so that shouldn't be a problem.
    HD is pretty full tbh could be that.

Should also say im running with everything at the top at 1080p on a 120hz monitor.
    Plus your 3770K runs at 3.5 and turbos at 3.9 = Better for gaming.
    My 3930K 3.4 turbos at 3.8 but it is a hex core cpu with multi it thinks its got 12 cores = Better for rendering.
    So maybe NS2 doesn't like hex core cpu's?
    ns2 doesn't more than 2 cores afaik

still your framerate seems too low
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    ezekel wrote: »
    It's not, stick with the 600 series

This is just a hold-over until the 800 series which will have real performance gains

You mean the 800 series that'll be coming out in a year from now?

And then what, will you wait for the 900 series which will have real performance gains? :-)

Hamlet wrote: »
    With a GTX780 you get 15% more performance for a sexy 90% price increase over a HD7970/GTX680.
    I doubt you can even _sense_ those 15% extra fps.

If you're using numbers, you should probably at least try to be in the ballpark. Insert coin and try again.

The GTX780 is a bargain for what it is - a single GPU card from one year in the future, without direct competition. 10% slower than a Titan, stock, but 35% cheaper.

The increase over a GTX680 is a solid 30% on average, for ~45% more money.

Sure, it's pricey, but you actually get quite decent value for your money, something which couldn't be said for the Titan, at least to the same degree.

Then again, the higher you go, the more you pay for every increase. So that is to be expected.
  • KenshikenKenshiken Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182698Members
    edited May 2013
    I will going to buy another MSI 670 PE and make SLI, this would be good for a while I think.
    Also, want to buy OCZ Vector 256gb for a system, some crucial programs, and games, and I would be happy.

On the subject: it's like all the time, - wait to the 2'nd generation of next graphic card that you have, than, buy it.
    Almost everytime it's works price and performance gain wise.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    ezekel wrote: »
    an ssd won't help, I load faster than people with SSD as well sadly, a lot of the precaching and stuff like that is done by the cpu, so the faster cpu will essentially load faster.. once everything is stored in ram and etc the fastest proc is the fastest loader

I've seen several people swear the in-game performance is enhanced by a SSD, not just load times. Probably something to do with the option to stream textures as not everything is loaded into the RAM once the game starts (it freeze for a few milliseconds first time u switch weapons and such). I've also gotten it explained to me that NS2 streams LUA packages from the harddrive constantly, which a SSD would speed up significantly to increase performance. More detailed than that I can't say though. Feel free to explain why this is wrong. In another thread there has also been mentions that turning off infestation (basically removing the files for it) gives you much better performance and it's probably the issue we face late games as things slow down and aliens expand. I'm not sure if the growth of infestation has anything to do with loading from the harddrive though.