ns2bans.com - name and shame goes there, not here

Comments

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    ma$$a$$ter wrote: »
    in the pipes is a comment system, each subbmission will be "commentable", to encourage discussion about specific submissions- keeping it out of the uwe forums is my target with that

yay for finally being able to ask why people who don't agree with me like being wrong.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    No, they arent the same. Intention is. As an old hat server admin i would warn, kick, day ban, week, month, perm for a pistol script or map exploit depending on the reason or place. .

Speedhacker would be insta perm.

I have read the thread. I dont remember seeing any granularity.

Let me give you a scenario. Video gets uploaded. Person was dicking about by playing as a skulk and found a way to get "outside" an area (think how marines used to pg outside the cockpit in ns1). Thing is, the guy who was doing it was actually the owner of the server and could do what he wanted om his own server. All of a sudden hes banned from everywhere else?
    Robby wrote: »
    kk20 wrote: »
    You are weighting map expolit or pistol script as the same level as a speed hack or wall hack?

Since they're all often used with the very same intention in mind, and certainly have the same potential to completely ruin a match, i absolutely place them in the same category. I'm very surprised to see that there's people here who actually think it's ok to cheat just because it's not a hack.

I'm also surprised and a bit annoyed to see that a weird and frankly unfair split of the definition of cheating has prevailed here. To cheat in a game is to in any way give yourself and/or others an advantage via means unintended by the creators of that game. As both map exploits and pistol scripts are unintended, they are both just as much a cheat as any form of hacking is.

i personally place the line at effort external to the game. map exploits are very low effort outside the game... and could involve incredible skill and timing or patience within the game. if it's a game breaking exploit, then hopefully someone will update the map to get rid of it, either developer or fan. sucks when the game loses dev support before the exploit gets discovered, or the dev just doesn't care or doesnt have the time to fix it.

i remember ctf4 in q3, had misaligned jump pad from flag to megahealth. normally if you took the pair of jump pads it would pop you into the air and usually to your death, but you could edge the pad and not trigger it, letting you glance off the second pad and basically hop onto the center platform with the mega. obviously an oversight or mistake on the part of the mapper, but eventually it became an incorporated and developed skill. one could incorporate a rocket to propel oneself from flag to flag in literally 4 seconds. it took hours of in game time to master some of these jumps. I don't mind map exploits if they give an edge but anybody can use them, and they're beatable. that's just a quirk of the map.

everything else is worse... pistol scripts are stupid and uwe should just follow valves lead and make the pistol autofire at a decent clip at the new max firing limit.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    the design is non-existant, its a placeholder at the moment to display proof of concept. still waiting for someone to get back to me for the design.

How about something like this (logo is crap, and some stuff isn't aligned properly since i just copy pasted it from the real website in my prototype html project)

Note: I'm not a professional web/graphic designer... this is just a hobby.

PS: Background is an awesome wallpaper by Rantology, get it from here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/118794/wallpapers/p1
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    Koruyo wrote: »
    the design is non-existant, its a placeholder at the moment to display proof of concept. still waiting for someone to get back to me for the design.

How about something like this (logo is crap, and some stuff isn't aligned properly since i just copy pasted it from the real website in my prototype html project)

PS: Background is an awesome wallpaper by Rantology, get it from here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/118794/wallpapers/p1

That's a really nice theme/color scheme! I'm stuck with (at the minimal left/right) frames at the moment due to how I had laid out the PHP/SQL - but still might be able to work something similar in - great suggestion!

Comments are now open! - once you enter a specific ID in the list, you are able to make comments on that submission.
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members

So I was doing this: http://exadeci.com/ns2bans/index.html (only home and reported players as a demo) but now that I've see yours.... well just add as table similar the one on the page I made and your theme is perfect :)
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    eXa wrote: »

So I was doing this: http://exadeci.com/ns2bans/index.html (only home and reported players as a demo) but now that I've see yours.... well just add as table similar the one on the page I made and your theme is perfect :)

Looks really nice, but I think a dark theme fits NS2 better. Also the content div is off-center on Chrome.
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    edited May 2013
    Rautapalli wrote: »
    Looks really nice, but I think a dark theme fits NS2 better. Also the content div is off-center on Chrome.

I changed a bit the pages (http://exadeci.com/ns2bans/index.html ) and I'm trying another look:
    Here

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    eXa wrote: »
    Rautapalli wrote: »

I changed a bit the pages (http://exadeci.com/ns2bans/index.html ) and I'm trying another look:
    Here
    lol. The Ban Onos doesn't approve of your hacking!
    I like it - Ban Onos doesn't approve of shenanigans, especially yours..

I took some of your example and some of the previous - Still WIP
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Wow that looks sexy.
    Loving Rantology's pissed onos.
    Can we get a marine in there wagging his finger disapproving, too? ;-)
    With the addition of comments, a forums and GUEST access - I can say we are coming close to being "officially open". Although the site is up, running and the server subscription tool is feeding over 80 servers bans from our list, there are still some small things to be added. The layout / look and feel still need to be in place, but over all we have a good place holder in the mean time (thank you eXa and Koruyo and others for examples and ideas) .

Guests are now able to access the site with the newly added "guest access". Please please continue to send us videos!
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Cool beans. I've been hanging out on the steam discussion forum and sending the witch hunters to you.

Is there an appeal system in place yet? Or is that on the to-do list?
    edited May 2013
    I think the best process for that is going to be the use of the forums, that was kind of the intention behind them. That and keeping people from calling out players by name/id here on the UWE forums

I think the admins are more than willing to have some discussions on suspected cheaters, bring on the witch hunters. lol
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just submitted a video to find out that the guy had already been 3 times previously.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does any server actually use this list?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I've seen a few, not many though, and tbh I'm actually glad for that. I'd rather each server operator decide who's bannable on their own.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I've seen a few, not many though, and tbh I'm actually glad for that. I'd rather each server operator decide who's bannable on their own.

thats quite useless, what does a hacker care if he is banned on 1 server? it might be months until a second admin catches him and then its still only 2 servers where he is banned.
    there needs to be a global banlist.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    And there is one, it's right here.
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Dat site UI needs some overhaul.

Other than that, I welcome any effort the community decides to make to get rid of griefers and hackers.
  • mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    Venatos wrote: »
    thats quite useless, what does a hacker care if he is banned on 1 server? it might be months until a second admin catches him and then its still only 2 servers where he is banned.
    there needs to be a global banlist.

In a game with population issues that was dying prior to this little sale and will quickly return to that state, people need to stop with these sorts of thoughts.

Yes, run off more people from the game. Brilliant. Individual servers ban is more than enough for me, to be honest I've run into like 2 people since release that needed banning.
  • sjusju Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Members
    This sort of elitism is pretty much the only reason outside the boundaries of the engine technology, as a reason of why I don't play the game.
  • sjusju Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Members
    PS. There is a global ban list - it's called VAC. Alternatively, I believe it is the responsibility of UWE to implement a tool to detect cheaters. If they're going to use LUA for the majority of their game, making it "ultra-moddable", they need ot make it secure. LUA is an easy language to manipulate and hide cheats in, the contingency should have been made by the developers and it is a clear oversight @Venatos
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I have a video I could link you that is offily questionable.
    Calego wrote: »
    Cool beans. I've been hanging out on the steam discussion forum and sending the witch hunters to you.

Is there an appeal system in place yet? Or is that on the to-do list?

they've been pretty benefit-of-the-y so far, moral than I would have been
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    sju wrote: »
    PS. There is a global ban list - it's called VAC. Alternatively, I believe it is the responsibility of UWE to implement a tool to detect cheaters. If they're going to use LUA for the majority of their game, making it "ultra-moddable", they need ot make it secure. LUA is an easy language to manipulate and hide cheats in, the contingency should have been made by the developers and it is a clear oversight @Venatos

You're already banned by someone else (finally)
    But i have to respond to the misinformation for everyone else's sake :

See that VAC notification on the loading screen every time? Yeah.. Its enabled and working, and many hacks have been submitted to them since November 2012. What they do with it after that is on them, and at their pace.

Ns2bans.com is far more swift in it's capabilities.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    ^ ns2bans is a community operated concensus site that only covers servers willing to operate the mod. There are obviously many flaws and faults that can arise form this system (and many have been discussed in this thread).

Obviously UWE started submitting hack websites or whatever to valve/steam in November and still nothing has been done? Is there anything more that UWE can do on this front? Has there been communication between valve and UWE about this problem? Has UWE looked into doing a sweep of the current working models to ban people using the current hacks?

I have been told the actual source code for a specific hack has been posted on one of the hack forums, it's obvious that they aren't scared at all about any repercussions if that has actually happened.

Is there a way to make a mod that auto/randomly screen shots players from their specific view? I heard that was a common program back in other FPS games (RTS player here) and wonder if it is possible for ns2?

TBH Ironhorse, it doesn't seem like UWE cares too much when you say the word was passed on back in Nov last year, and still no outcome. Just frustrating because from the outside looking in it seems like nothing is happening at all.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited July 2013
    VAC is anticheat is not an alternative to admins. Admins working together are still admins.
    Is there a way to make a mod that auto/randomly screen shots players from their specific view? I heard that was a common program back in other FPS games (RTS player here) and wonder if it is possible for ns2?
    No. There's no documented way for Lua code to have the engine save a screenshot to disk or memory. Maybe it would be possible using some heavy trickery, but that's really a feature that should be provided by the engine end to end, from taking the screenshot, including overlays, to getting to securely to the server without writing it to disk but also make sure not to accidentally include any other parts of the desktop. This is still very much possible for UWE to do but just as feasible to bypass, and it would be bypassed, but at least it would have to be which gives VAC another opportunity to detect and perhaps catch some very basic cheats.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    We need more admins to actually use this! :(|)
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    Im not keen on a game posting random screen shots back. Play in a window? Is it going to post the rendered screen? Window? Desktop with bank account website open? I seem to recall issues with punkbuster doing this (americas army?). If is is just ns2 render then it wont catch injected overlays hence the need for full framebuffer.