Will fastswitch and mousewheel ever be implemented in ns 2?

kendopekendope Join Date: 2013-04-06 Member: 184663Members
edited April 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
1. I hate pressing 1 and 2.. i'd prefer just pressing Q for fastswitch
2. I hate using the space bar to jump, i'd prefer mousewheel

Ns 1 had all these features? I don't understand why ns 2 can't have these -.-.

Comments

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited April 2013
    Entirely new engine, it has its problems... We can only hope they put it in one day...

However, mousewheel bind might never be put in, because of bunnyhopping or something.

EDIT: Ok then, no bunnyhopping :P

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    dragonmith wrote: »
    Entirely new engine, it has its problems... We can only hope they put it in one day...

However, mousewheel bind might never be put in, because of bunnyhopping or something.

Keybinds really have nothing to do with the engine..... They deliberately made it so mousewheel could not be bound to anything. Why is beyond me... perhaps to curtail rapid fire pistols... which doesnt' curtail it at all....
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Keybinds really had to do with the engine...
    I hope it will come soon, and that all the keybinding problems will be fixed with it.

dragonmith > It changes nothing for bhop.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    edited April 2013
    that is not the alpha days guys,
    there is no one listening anymore,
    ergo the answer is: no :)

the got a *Snip* of money now
    and give a *Snip* about us anymore.

deal with it.
    *Snip*ed offensive parts - GISP
    edited April 2013
    how long will it take em to censor by deleting my statement.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited April 2013
    @Regnareb

Yes. It does :)

EDIT: Yeah, I just wanted the post the video...
    insane video btw :O !!!!
  • bongofishbongofish Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19893Members
    derWalter wrote: »

I doubt they are concerned. It's not like you are important enough for anyone to care what you say.

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2013
    @dragonmith

It does nothing for this game, the bhop does not require precise timing and is very forgiving. You'd see no advantage between someone using spacebar or mwheel in this game

Also that guy was bhopping on servers where bhop was pretty much disabled (ESEA) and was most likely scripting for a lot of it. Hence why when he went to LAN he wasn't able to bhop as well and didn't preform like how he did "online"
    bongofish wrote: »

I doubt they are concerned. It's not like you are important enough for anyone to care what you say.

i really have to agree to your arguments, that was a real nice counter to my statement.

oh, sorry, you didn't bring arguments, you just insulted me on a personal level.

That is an F young sir/lady - sit down!
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    lmao citing bunnyhop as a reason for excluding mwheel binds shows that you have no clue what you're talking about because properly implemented bunnyhop uses pogostick jump and it's not like it's hard to just make it so you can't jump on the same frame you land if you wanted to code it out lol
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2013
    That's a different engine, and no it does not.
    If you can't bind the mousewheel, the only thing you do is prevent the regular user to... bind an action to their mousewheel. That's all, it won't change a thing for people that want to abuse the game (that is not abusable in NS2 in that case, same for CSS in most cases btw).
    It's like DRM, the only people it will hurt is the honest people, it won't change anything for all the others.

I don't even know why I am responding to that comment...
  • PheusPheus Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12924Members

which is pretty ineffective, because anyone who cares enough can just use their gaming mouse's software to link mwheeldown to spacebar (or any other key)
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    One of the best CS videos of all time. I haven't seen that in years. Hahaha
    joshhh wrote: »
    is that still possible in tournament css?
  • kendopekendope Join Date: 2013-04-06 Member: 184663Members
    honestly, If i can't bunny hop with the mouse wheel down i don't really care.. I've been using mouse wheel down as jump for almost every fps game so far. I mean unless you want to mash space bar like a crack head then be my guess.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    joshhh wrote: »
    is that still possible in tournament css?

No, it was and continues to be banned in tournament play since like CS 1.1. Bhopping in any form will disqualify your team right quick.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
    Industry wrote: »
    Bhopping in any form will disqualify your team right quick.
    Lmao.. really?? Wow

::remembers alpha days with Perma silenced M4, better models, and no punishing jump shots ::
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Industry wrote: »
    Bhopping in any form will disqualify your team right quick.
    Lmao.. really?? Wow

::remembers alpha days with Perma silenced M4, better models, and no punishing jump shots ::

In a season it was usually for just that match, in a tourney it usually would cost you the whole thing. It has been a while since I have played comp CS though. I just remember playing a match and did a little one-two hop without thinking. I got a pretty stern warning. Whoops.

Bhop was/is frowned upon in CS. It was not adopted as a balance mechanic like NS1 mostly because it completely screwed up positioning and travel times on the maps.

Speaking of fun things that get you kicked out of leagues:

higher res: http://www.themovievault.net/video/pubmasters-the-movie
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If some guy bhopped all over my face and headshotted me like that, I would rage soooo hard lol

2 PRO 4 ME
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    you can always tell who CS players are based on their excessive use of "kid".

better imo
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited May 2013
    ezekel wrote: »

Also that guy was bhopping on servers where bhop was pretty much disabled (ESEA) and was most likely scripting for a lot of it. Hence why when he went to LAN he wasn't able to bhop as well and didn't preform like how he did "online"

That kind of bhopping is actually pretty easy to do with only Mwheel bound to +jump.

Although, last I played of counterstrike was counterstrike:source and you couldn't gain speed from successive jumps unless you played on servers that were modded to allow bhop.
    Didn't someone say that skulks at one point could wall jump up to speeds of 30 or something?
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    there's no way to check what a player's speed is and ensure it's never above the max speed allowed? I feel like if the game checked how fast the bhopper was going it would realize... hey he can't go that fast.
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    there's no way to check what a player's speed is and ensure it's never above the max speed allowed? I feel like if the game checked how fast the bhopper was going it would realize... hey he can't go that fast.
    It can and is done.

But enough about bunny hopping. The lack of mouse wheel binds has nothing to do with it.

• GirTurkeyGirTurkey Join Date: 2005-03-03 Member: 43040Members
    non flash menu mod back in alpha/beta had quickswitch didn't it?
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah menumod was fantastic and I missed lastweaponused bind SO MUCH. :(
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Haha, that cs:s kid vid was brilliant .... only times he died was when he started listening to those other clowns!
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    I think I remember menu mod allowing for mwheelup/down to be rebound, or am I mistaken?

Does anyone remember that and if so why can that not be done again?