sometimes i think that we should be able to choose our guns accuracy.

ZABORRAZABORRA Join Date: 2013-04-18 Member: 184891Members
whenever i play NS2 as the marines, i barely get any kills because i have terrible aim. i cant really even hit a guy because my arm bassicly "locks up". so i have this idea that we can pick how much spread the assault rifle has. we might not be as accurate at range but when enemys get close like right on your feet, atleast you have a chance of hitting them when they circle you. some people will say "well thats what the shotgun is for" but what if you dont have enough money or you keep missing (believe me thats possible). all i am saying is that i want to have a better chance of hitting them (if that makes sense).

Comments

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    So you want to be rewarded for bad aim. Sure, no problemo.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited April 2013
    Despite what some would think, that isn't breaking balance...That is hitting it with a ICBM.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Band-aid fix. As long eye-tech mice are still a thing of the future, your bad aim is going to come back haunting.

Instead, I suggest you start figuring out why your arm "locks up". How you hold the mouse, is the mouse right for you, do you move it with your entire arm or just rest the palm on the pad and move it with your fingers, dat sorta stuff.

Plunge into the fun world of computer mice, starting here:
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    ZABORRA, has this request ever been accommodated in any other games you've ever played?
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    yuckfoo wrote: »
    ZABORRA, has this request ever been accommodated in any other games you've ever played?

In 98% of other FPS games, aiming is largely done by pressing the A and D keys, while poking at your mouse wondering what's it for. Get behind a box, put your cursor on the right level, D out, shoot, A back behind the box. So I understand where he's coming from, even if the request is le silly.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

In 98% of other FPS games, aiming is largely done by pressing the A and D keys, while poking at your mouse wondering what's it for. Get behind a box, put your cursor on the right level, D out, shoot, A back behind the box. So I understand where he's coming from, even if the request is le silly.
    I think its more that he wants console-style FPS gameplay on a PC; e.g. aim assist galore.
  • SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
    I feel like I should feel sorry for you, but honestly... just go practice some more.

Unless you have some sort of medical condition, or a really small mouse pad, your arm shouldn't be "locking up". Practice practice practice.

(a more polite way of saying: quit whining, get good)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    How does a less accurate gun do more damage?

Try aiming away from the alien, maybe you'll hit it more ;)

But better still: focus on movement. Try running away with axe out, then spin, get rifle out and start shooting. Get some distance between you and the alien. Shoot the alien from your teammate's feet rather than the one attacking you - it's a narrower cone of movement, and therefore easier to shoot. Try changing to pistol and spamming as fast as you can. Try REDUCING mouse sensitivity (yes, lower!). Try not sprinting in, but going quietly when there may be aliens nearby. Try burst firing - do NOT hold down M1. Try pretending to yourself that the rifle is in fact a fast fire auto shotgun that's weak - you need a few hits, but in bursts of 2 or 3 bullets, those can happen quickly. Shoot when you feel most confident that you may hit and then concentrate on NOT shooting until you think you're going to hit again. This is really hard to master, but can be very effective at improving your overall accuracy.

Hope some of these suggestions help.

Roo
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    I think he's asking for access to different type of guns, not "please make my LMG hit the target"
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    Maybe, instead adding the option to increase the LMG spread, you just spray your entire clip while moving your mouse erratically in the general direction of said skulk. Basically the same thing. You can then work your way up from there. If you just play with a set spread all the time, you will never get any better.
  • briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    I think this is called the shotgun.

Or maybe the flamethrower.

But I'm not sure.

I can't aim either so I like flamethrowers.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @ZABORRA I used to experience this lock-up too. Might be a different case for you, but the main culprit for me was being somewhat dazzled by all the visuals and audio while in combat. Muzzle flash, incoming and outgoing damage indicators, that sort of thing.

If it's the same story for you then I'd say Roo gives the best advice: Focus on movement and, for the time being, ignore everything else. Aside from your teammates of course.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ..The fuck did I just read.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any FPS game is going to require you to aim. If you can't deal with that mechanic, I suggest trying out another genre.
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    Practice. Practice. Practice.

No auto-aim.
  • GnubboloGnubbolo Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62793Members
    the art of spraying:

from ET noob guide:

If they aren't sprinting or they aren't changing directions frequently, you can probably track their motion with your crosshair more or less exactly, like in the animation below:
    http://www.enemy-territory.net/images/strafe1.gif

If they have very fast movement, then try to track it as best as you can, but be VERY careful that you don't get into the pattern of flicking your cursor and overshooting your target, because then this will happen:
    http://www.enemy-territory.net/images/strafe2.gif

It's better to keep your crosshair limited to a range of motion which you can control more easily, so what you should try to do is this:
    http://www.enemy-territory.net/images/strafe3.gif

With this last picture, you can see my crosshair really isn't moving that much horizontally. (Sorry about the wobbling up and down, this is my l33t paint shop pro skills at work). At the far left or far right of the enemy's motion, my crosshair is barely even lined up on the enemy. But this is OK, it will still count as a bodyshot, and at least I can keep things under control.

One good way to tell if you're over-aiming this is to watch a demo of yourself in slow motion. If you notice you wiggling your crosshair a lot, then try to make your mouse movements more gentle.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Gnubbolo wrote: »
    the art of spraying:

from ET noob guide:

If they aren't sprinting or they aren't changing directions frequently, you can probably track their motion with your crosshair more or less exactly, like in the animation below:
    http://www.enemy-territory.net/images/strafe1.gif

If they have very fast movement, then try to track it as best as you can, but be VERY careful that you don't get into the pattern of flicking your cursor and overshooting your target, because then this will happen:
    http://www.enemy-territory.net/images/strafe2.gif

It's better to keep your crosshair limited to a range of motion which you can control more easily, so what you should try to do is this:
    http://www.enemy-territory.net/images/strafe3.gif

With this last picture, you can see my crosshair really isn't moving that much horizontally. (Sorry about the wobbling up and down, this is my l33t paint shop pro skills at work). At the far left or far right of the enemy's motion, my crosshair is barely even lined up on the enemy. But this is OK, it will still count as a bodyshot, and at least I can keep things under control.

One good way to tell if you're over-aiming this is to watch a demo of yourself in slow motion. If you notice you wiggling your crosshair a lot, then try to make your mouse movements more gentle.

actually worked pretty well in et, as 2 head shots and a body would put a guy down, aiming at chin level and strafing your target worked wonders. funny story, back in the day I knew a guy who would intentionally look away from his target with a rail gun in q3, then quickly flick to and fire... as if the motion would somehow impart more energy to his bullet, he thought it improved his chances for some reason. anyway, when I shoot,little to no arm movement.
  • ZABORRAZABORRA Join Date: 2013-04-18 Member: 184891Members

no acctualy. i play games like TF2 and gotham city imposters and i don't have the problem. i just was wishing for a little extra spray because my aimer is usualy off by like a milimeter or so.
  • ZABORRAZABORRA Join Date: 2013-04-18 Member: 184891Members
    briatx wrote: »
    I think this is called the shotgun.

Or maybe the flamethrower.

But I'm not sure.

I can't aim either so I like flamethrowers.

my thoughts exactly
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ZABORRA wrote: »

no acctualy. i play games like TF2 and gotham city imposters and i don't have the problem. i just was wishing for a little extra spray because my aimer is usualy off by like a milimeter or so.

Well, then practice a bit more. Increased bullet spread isn't going to happen in this game, sorry.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Mouse Drills can be found here. They are fun do do when you are bored at work. :P
    http://aim400kg.ru/en/
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Unfortunately if you somehow managed to stick a variable choke on the rifle, it would be the best gun in the game, and the game is entirely balanced around the marines being very bad at making sensible military decisions, so you can't have that.

Less restrictive access to other weapons would be nice, however.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    You guys are so cool, I wish I were half as cool.
  • Reason85Reason85 Join Date: 2013-04-21 Member: 184928Members
    This sounds crazy. Look im horrible at aiming too but i dont think making my gun less accurate would result in me hitting more or killing more.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You guys are so cool, I wish I were half as cool.

That's the dream.