NS1 and NS2

13»

Comments

• halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    What is this 'real life' you are referring to sir?
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    Best game for me at all-time was NS1 hands down. At the time WOW was the first NS1 killer and then combat ruined/divided community.. NS2 is good enough but no where close what NS1 was, many don't like this but NS2 is more like Casaul NS1. NS1 HD version with best NS2 features would be killer deal (NS3 :p), but Sewlek balance test is really promising ;) Summer comes and gonna wait how many players we have on next autumn.... Many had already said what was good on NS1 but one more... The friendly fire, damn knobs always blocking my firing..

Bunnyhop was engine flaw which was feature on later. HL engine had many weakness like proper bunnyhop needed script or mousewheel jumping just because when you had higher fps its also harder to time your jumping with space. Also fps could ruin your rate of fire/gravity, netcode flaws while it was okay (modem time code) and old dated graphics etc..
    blind wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, I love NS2. But the fast paced action in NS1 combined with the strategy involved and incredible depth keeping you busy for years to improve is what really thrived me personally. No doubt that NS1 at its last iteration v3.2 was the almost perfect game for me and I hope NS2 will reach it one day as well. Of course, this can only be a personal opinon, so I am just leaving it as how I feel.

More awesome videos in here: http://www.ensl.org/movies
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, NS1 is awesome from what I've seen. I wish more people still played it. Or at the very least that NS2:C would get a little more love
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey, I've encountered a bit of a problem with the game. I have joined an empty server and tried to see how comming worked (didn't dare try it in a server with people yet), and the UI is completely black. Can't see any of the different structures. If this a bug of some kind?

Also, more people should be playing this game. It's awesome.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I had this at some point, you have to change the gamma settings or something, there's a guide on the NS1 forums.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited April 2013
    Hey, I've encountered a bit of a problem with the game. I have joined an empty server and tried to see how comming worked (didn't dare try it in a server with people yet), and the UI is completely black. Can't see any of the different structures. If this a bug of some kind?

Also, more people should be playing this game. It's awesome.
    There's something bonkers in how NS1 works at least on Vista and possibly on later Windowses also. Switching the value of cl_gammaramp from 1 to 0 (or the other way round, can't remember how it goes) should fix the issue.

It might take a restart before the changes are visible.

---

For trying out commanding, it might be best to set up your own lan server, set sv_cheats to 1 and play around with the commander view after that. Otherwise the game doesn't allow you to build stuff before the round starts with players on both sides. The cheats command kind of changes how the game works, but I think it's still the only way to really try commander view properly if you're alone on the server.

I think there's also a console command givepoints, which works with cheats on. It gives you some resoucres so you don't always necessarily have to necessary wait for funds to try out stuff.
  • redrumrummorredrumrummor Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59015Members
    the atmosphere is what i miss the most in ns1, comparing the two, ns2 has none, and i hope UWE is considering redoing the overall art of ns2 to make it closer to NS1, simply making colors less saturated is a start, then add some more ambient sounds.

i loved playing ns1 and hearing the fade breathe as he goes around the map, in ns2 all you hear is blink swipes and steps, very dull

Agree with that, there isn't enough ambient noise in maps from objects or whatever, and music is almost non-existent except for the win/lose and menu theme from NS1, even simple things like RTs making sounds like they did in 1 would make a difference.
    docking and descent and veil/summit..ish are the only maps that are attractive to play, the other maps are so grimy dull and uninteresting imo, ns1 maps like nothing had both of these kind of areas so it wasn't so boring, Ns2 maps feel like maps made into environments rather than environments made into maps if that makes sense.
    If you're just solely playing competitively I suppose these points don't matter but there are NSL modded ones for that.
    Hopefully maps in dev like biodome and discovery will add some variation.

• RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    NS1 is a fantastic game, for all the hate it gets CO (ns1) is actually really enjoyable and fixes the major downfall of NS1 and NS2, that you don't get to practise with fade/lerk/onos enough in a normal game. 80% of the game is LMG vs skulk.

I loved the HL engine, it just felt so tight and responsive and clean. The new engine is very pretty, but it has some pretty major performance issues and it just feels kind of muzzy in general.

I want my HMG and the old style jetpacks back. The new JPs steer like bathtubs, and I hate it.

I hate the power node and infestation mechanics in 2. The power nodes feel like a cheap gimmick and have ruined many a game for me, and in the case of infestation, ruin your CPU cycles. Cysting and re-cysting isn't fun, it's busy work and a nuisance.

I'm really pleased NS2 managed to keep the same feeling around gun movement & responsiveness; I'm not sure if it's gun animation or walk animation that most other games seem to ruin (think battlefield games) that makes them seem so awful to play as an FPS. Performance obviously overrides this in NS2 though, it would be great if mid to low end hardware could run NS2 with acceptable framerates in low settings.

HMG + JP I also agree with, you could fly backwards through maps shooting fades without even hitting walls, much more difficult to do subtle movements with the new JP.

Skulks seem more more difficult to kill in NS2, I'm not sure if it's the low framerates, the darker maps or skulk movement.

Shotguns seem much less effective.
    aeroripper wrote: »

Bad
    1) Many pub games were stacked. Games were decided within 3 minutes sometimes.
    2) The notorious "getting killed around the corner" lag due to hl network quirks.

NS2 games seem to be decided by the first wave and how much ground marines can secure, and you can still get killed around corners or through PGs.

• DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I miss NS1 movements the most. Just compare JP vs. fade fights (starts 3m24s), without even touching the other classes:

Don't get me wrong, I love NS2. But the fast paced action in NS1 combined with the strategy involved and incredible depth keeping you busy for years to improve is what really thrived me personally. No doubt that NS1 at its last iteration v3.2 was the almost perfect game for me and I hope NS2 will reach it one day as well. Of course, this can only be a personal opinon, so I am just leaving it as how I feel.

3:15 is why everyone thinks NS2 has hitreg problems. Blood splatters on a blatant miss on that skulk but it's what people are used to.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I miss NS1 movements the most. Just compare JP vs. fade fights (starts 3m24s), without even touching the other classes:

I love the thrust on that NS1 jetpack. It looks so fluid and fast compared to the jetpack in NS2. I'm hoping it makes it to NS2 eventually. (Maybe as an upgrade, 15 PRES for a jetpack 2.0?)
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    NS1 took away my social life and NS2 gave it back.
  • TerranigmaTerranigma Join Date: 2010-04-03 Member: 71158Members
    edited April 2013
    I actually only miss the darker atmosphere. Gameplay-wise NS1 and NS2 are two different games and I had and have a great time with both games. What I however miss most is the darker, as someone called it, more Alien-like feeling. NS2 is technically a very pretty game, the lighting is great, the textures crisp but the overall atmosphere is compared to NS1 a bit lackluster. The maps feel like they were first designed according to gameplay and balance considerations but not in terms of atmosphere and "Would it be cool if ... ?" ideas.

Most rooms are very huge, bright and open, the same is true for the corridors. All in all are the maps much more easy to get, which isn't bad, but maps in NS1 were full of nooks and crannies, little niches you could hide, very long, small, corridors, elevators, rotating doors, great differences in height. I know that they adopted a new approach to mapping for NS2 in so far as maps should be designed according to a room-corridor-room scheme opposed to a lot of corridor-corridor-corridor designs which was not uncommon to NS1. Personally, I loved that. As a marine it was much more tense to crawl in these narrow, neverending corridors where it took you sometimes minutes to get from one base to another. As alien on the other hand you got much more the impression to be the predator, hunting down marines in these huge, serpertine maps. Maps like Bast, Metal and such, that is what I miss in NS2.

Gameplay-wise I am very glad with NS2. What I dislike however, is UWs new approach - NS2 should be brighter, opener and smaller compared to NS1. What characterized NS1 for me however was the direct opposite to these three adjectives; I loved NS1 because it was dark, the architecture was complex and the maps were huge. It was tense. In NS2, you can run on most maps directly from on end of the map to the other in no time, passing through huge corridors and even bigger rooms. UW won't change much about their new approach, I think, so I thus count on the community to revive the Old NS1-mentality in terms of mapping. I really, sincerely miss such maps. With the new available technology, NS2 could be turned into a semi-horror multiplayer rts/shooter-mixture. UW might not be interested in the horror-aspect, but for me that was always a part of NS1. I do not play competitive but want to immerse in the atmosphere. I really looking forward for more NS1-like custom maps to be released in the near future.

Aside from that, I think NS2 is on par with NS1. It is different, not better and not worse. Except, as I said, in terms of the maps. I really (!) miss the NS1 architecture, feeling and atmosphere, sound and music. If UW could just move NS2 a little more towards a grim, semi-horror experience instead of relying so much on bright colours and clean surfaces.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Many of the clips for those videos are from HLTV demos, which are not super accurate in terms of someones first person view. I would not judge the hit detection in NS1 based on those videos (it was pretty much flawless).
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    NS1 was great, NS2 is greater
    NS1 is dead, long live NS2
    NS1 isn't completely dead, I'm still able to play games that get as large as 10v10 at times.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    NS1 had some unique features that were taken away for no apparent reason in NS2.

First of all the gorge in my opinion is the single best class/lifeform in any game I have ever played. I really dont get ehy they changed this lifeform, it could have worked very well in NS2 given a proper in-game vote system.

• DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    gnoarch wrote: »
    NS1 had some unique features that were taken away for no apparent reason in NS2.

First of all the gorge in my opinion is the single best class/lifeform in any game I have ever played. I really dont get ehy they changed this lifeform, it could have worked very well in NS2 given a proper in-game vote system.

It doesn't work well in pubs because you rely on 1 person to save up 40 res from the start of the game. If they decide to spend their res elsewhere or quit the game then you are screwed.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    It worked pretty well in the majority of the games, it was and is rare to see that kind of things. And usually more than 1 people have the res for the hive.
  • RedrimRedrim Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160112Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Of course there was a risk that someone could quit. But in NS2 if someone quits with 75 pres does hurt as well.

What i loved in building hive by gorge was moments when some good player gets to 50 res mark and says something like "Is there anyone how will make a hive" or even better "Well I guess I'll drop a hive"
    And at that moment I (who was really avearage especially fade) say "Go fade I'll do it" . That gave some sence that those fade kills that were made by good player were partly yours.

Also there were wonderfull times when you were a gorge who protects building hive. Trying to stay low, then spitting hive so that others could teleport to its location, building MC so that onos or fade could be teleported back to excisting hive to heal...))
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    What is this 'real life' you are referring to sir?

Forget it. It's over rated, the graphics are un-upgradeable, and the respawn is way too long!
  • redrumrummorredrumrummor Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59015Members
    Tweadle wrote: »
    NS1 took away my social life and NS2 gave it back.

If you mean by this NS2 hasn't held you as long as NS1 did/has sadly i'm forced to agree. NS1 was free, revolutionary and games could be epic hours long without being tiresome, I stopped playing in 2006, but I vaguely remember in 2002/3/4 joining servers and nearly everyone was learning like me and there was some banter and acceptance of losing/being bad as the whole thing was new ground for a HL1 mod and the experience was worth it. Moving onto NS2 which is a really good game no question, I can't see myself playing it for 5 ish years like 1 unless I go competitively which I never did in 1 or any other game. I've already drifted off it as late and noticed on the friends list and others profiles they either hardly play or not at all, its not even in the top100 sellers on steam anymore, why this is I don't know but personally I like gaming for the escapism and occasional social side, public NS2 games can be hectic, stressful, intense, claustrophobic, confusing and frankly overly competitive for me.
  • PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whole heap of music was better ten years ago, music sucks now going on in this thread.

NS2 is objectively much better.
    NS1 was awesome, and for many of us happened during a formative time in our lives.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Popture wrote: »
    NS2 is objectively much better.

Well I am glad we have your opinion on that, that question was giving me a terrible hedach!

I think I actually like NS1 more for a number of reasons. However, I am absolutely terrible as a skulk. It takes some getting used to I guess
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited April 2013
    NS2 fixes specific problems from NS1, but honestly given the direction the game's gone, it's also lost much of the appeal of NS1.

I disliked NS1 for its stagnation but when it was at the stage in its life cycle that NS2 is at now, it was much more enjoyable than NS2 is.

NS2 has more substance I suppose, but lacks the style of NS1, which makes it less fun. NS2 is a mechanically functional game. NS1 was a fun game. NS2 removes or changes many of the things that didn't really work all that well all the time in NS1, but it also removes things that, while theoretically bad, actually worked OK in practice, and it also removes things that frankly I don't see any reason to remove at all, particularly in the level design area. And some things, like lifeform scaling and utility, it does nothing whatsoever to improve and actively makes them worse in some cases. Other things, like personal resources, it changes for a good reason but then does nothing with. There's little point in having customization options if your choice is entirely dictated by what you need to do at the moment, you might as well have the commander drop the guns again.

Oh also NS1 maps are excellent, some of the best maps for the entire goldsrc engine I would say, NS2 maps are... not really very good, they lack a unique and appealing visual style, just sort of... vaguely techo-futuristic in a nonspecific kind of way. NS1 maps were dark and atmospheric.
  • Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
    I could bhop backwards in 1 of them.