NS1 and NS2

Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I never played NS1, although I am aware of most of the differences between it and NS2. However, I was wondering what people who have played both think about NS2 in relation to the original game. How do you think this game stacks up against NS1? Are there things you think could've been done better here, or do you think NS2 represents an improvement on the formula?

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    NS1 wins in movement and performance(and everything performance related) uh, among everything else they are both different and similar in ways.. but I enjoy both maybe someone else will take the time to point out every single difference, me... I'm going to get ready for class x_x
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    I'm just a casual player but this is how I feel..
    NS1 is more fluid (hl engine), deep (asymmetrical, unbalanced, more unique maps), uglier (old graphics)
    NS2 is the reverse, not quite fluid yet, very symmetrical, overly balanced, very generic maps(no more very high or very low map parts, rotating doors, welding vents, water), very good looking.

In NS2:
    Skulks actually feel balanced with the glanced bites.. I think.
    Lerk actually feels complete with all the abilities, Drifters can do the faster biting thing, forget the name.
    Fade feels gimped without Metabolize, Acid Rocket and Adrenaline being faster stamina regen, not bigger stamina pool.
    Onos, I miss the hilarious devour, can't have players staring at that digesting.spr anymore though, EXOs are a lot of metal too.
    The Kharaa commander feels overpowered, super fast building while the rest of the Kharaa team goes killing stuff.
    End game the Khammander doesn't have to do much more besides dropping Onos eggs, placing speed up spray, building forward bases.
    I feel detached from the team as a Khammander, as opposed to the NS1 builder gorge.
    In NS1 having tech 3 (HA/HMG/JP) or hive 3 abilities (Gorge webs, Fade acid rocket, Skulk xenocide) felt like actually having the upper hand.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ah, ok. Yeah, I was wondering how NS1 worked without the aliens having a commander. I mean, it's pretty obvious they didn't originally as marine commanding is just more in-depth and more challenging, but it's still an interesting concept.

It sounds like sentry spam was really a thing, though
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I miss building defence chambers with a ton of offence chambers in a vent, holding on till the bitter end even when we had no hives (before they nerfed the DC healing lol) ayumi was best marines had to weld into the vent to meet a wall of OC's
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You could keep playing without any hives?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    For a while, the win condition was kill all the hives/ccs and players. If you hid somewhere, you could prevent the game from ending.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Because technically you could gorge and drop another right?
  • GnubboloGnubbolo Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62793Members
    edited April 2013
    yes, if you stay near the DCs, you can regenerate the HP

NS1 is excellent in the pub servers, NS2 is boring
    NS2 probably is better then NS1 in competitive match.
    But i prefer more tactical games like RTCW and Cod(1-2) or CS, the study of nades, snipers and the global moving of the men in the map etc etc is more interesting.
    NS2 is only run like chickens, shooting faster, but no other skill are request.
    i dont have aim. but i can throw a nade from side to side and kill ppl camping with rifle in every point of the map. this is what i call tactic gameplay, u can reach this lvl only studing hard the game with clanmates and watching a tons of demos to counteract the tactics of others.

NS2 from this point of view is flat, is like Quake3, is totally skill/aim based. ( considerated all players capable of jumping and tricking, obvious )
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I once played an incredible 8-hour game on NS_Nothing

O_O the jealousy is pouring out of me in buckets.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

It was NUTS. I was marine comm, and we eventually got pinned down in Silo hive, hanging by a thread with minimal res and constantly scrambling to rescue our 1 remaining shotgun. After a while we managed to relocate some of the key structures to the upper balconies, and many aerial lerk / fade / JP dogfights ensued, plus phasegates between the top and bottom. We built a fortress out of that hive. Many onos died to bring us this information.

There were people who played for the first couple hours, went to bed, came back on and were floored when they found out we were still playing the same match. Marines finally managed to push back and claw their way to victory. It was beautiful.

The best part was that the aliens felt like it was a great game too, and I think that if marines had lost in the end, I wouldn't have minded that either after the fight we put up.

I wish I had taken some screenshots of that game.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Ah, ok. Yeah, I was wondering how NS1 worked without the aliens having a commander. I mean, it's pretty obvious they didn't originally as marine commanding is just more in-depth and more challenging, but it's still an interesting concept.

It worked pretty well, aliens had decentralized anarchist-ants like organization. So the game was not only a fight between melee and ranged, it was also a fight of different "political" organizations; a strong centralized power (no pres) on the marine side vs. completely decentralized one on the alien side. Gorges were obviously very important has they dropped all structures. A direct consequence of this is that even new or low skilled players could be very useful to the team by dropping rts and hives.
    The alien organization could fail pretty badly and produce bad games (for example everybody is greedy and don't drop rts) like it can fail in NS2 with a bad alien commander, but it was a different kind of fail that the "bad commander" one.

The introduction of dual res pool system as also a lot of consequences (for example 6 shotguns army most of the game in NS2). And finally the new "map control" mechanisms, power nodes and infestation, are also an important difference.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Yuuki wrote: »

It worked pretty well, aliens had decentralized anarchist-ants like organization. So the game was not only a fight between melee and ranged, it was also a fight of different "political" organizations; a strong centralized power (no pres) on the marine side vs. completely decentralized one on the alien side. Gorges were obviously very important has they dropped all structures. A direct consequence of this is that even new or low skilled players could be very useful to the team by dropping rts and hives.
    The alien organization could fail pretty badly and produce bad games (for example everybody is greedy and don't drop rts) like it can fail in NS2 with a bad alien commander, but it was a different kind of fail that the "bad commander" one.

The introduction of dual res pool system as also a lot of consequences (for example 6 shotguns army most of the game in NS2). And finally the new "map control" mechanisms, power nodes and infestation, are also an important difference.

Lets not forget people going gorge just so they could save for a fade (because with one hive a skulk maxed out at 30 pRes).
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    That was only in the first version of NS1, which was arguably as confusingly designed as NS2 is currently.
    NS1 was and still is vastly superior to NS2 in terms of skill requirements and skill potential, so I would say comp NS1 is vastly superior to comp NS2. NS2 is much more of a public focused game compared to NS1, which has both pros and cons. The impacts of some of the designs for NS2 will impact the longevity of the game long term IMO, and will make it difficult for it to enjoy the same lifespan as its predecessor.
  • MkollMkoll Join Date: 2013-02-11 Member: 182996Members
    edited April 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

It was NUTS. I was marine comm, and we eventually got pinned down in Silo hive, hanging by a thread with minimal res and constantly scrambling to rescue our 1 remaining shotgun. After a while we managed to relocate some of the key structures to the upper balconies, and many aerial lerk / fade / JP dogfights ensued, plus phasegates between the top and bottom. We built a fortress out of that hive. Many onos died to bring us this information.

GET TO THE RED ROOM!

a 7 hour marathon fighting out of the red room on ns_nothing with 0 hives (marines) to 3 (aliens), onii and lerks all over us like a tramp on chips, sweating to respawn so you could save the final welder before it disappeared, and a similar experience in the docking hydraulics tunnel (between engine room hive, and atmosphere processing - double res point) on ns_bast, were easily my most fun gaming experiences ever, and I have been gaming since 1983.

It also somehow felt more interactive - the ability to open and close vents, and to be able to choose where to build stuff like CCs, really gave the marines freedom that aliens obviously couldnt enjoy as they couldn't use marine tech ...and I guess a hive location needs the right atmospherics, right? in any case, it kinda made sense. I was the master of the marine relocate tactic!

NS2 is faster, very pretty and a lot more symmetrical, as described by other posters. I don't think it's any more accessible, but I somehow felt as a skulk that I was much more lethal in NS1 compared to NS2. Right now I feel like a Russian running up the banks of the Volga to be mown down by the SS ...
  • duck_birdduck_bird Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154862Members
    Hard to say. I enjoy both games, and there are ups and downs to each. Now keep in mind that much of this is clouded by nostalgia, and the fact that halflife1 and its mods were my game all throughout high school. I have countless hours on TFC, CS1.6, NS1, S&I, etc. I feel more at home in the HL1 engine than anything else.

The speed/fluidity/crispness of the HL1 engine makes NS1 soooo much cleaner than NS2. Aiming, running, wall-jumping, bunny-hopping, etc, it was all so much smoother in NS1. I often feel in NS2 like "wtf I was clearly shooting that guy" or "what the **** why can't I bite that guy?" The minimal system requirements of the HL1 engine simply mean that it is faster, cleaner, smoother. Aiming was cleaner. Bouncing around as a skulk was cleaner. Lerk flight was cleaner, (though perching on walls is awesome). Blinking around as a fade was cleaner. Jetpacks were soooo smooth. Feel like tugboats now. Overall just the new engine feels clunkier. In NS1 I can nail a skulk/lerk with an LMG. In NS2 it feels like a crapshoot. May just be my inexperience with the new game though t.t;

Balance wise, I also preferred the much starker differences between the two factions in NS1. While the idea of tech points requiring marines to take territory is a nice idea, it makes the two sides more similar. It used to be marines were entirely capable of holding up and surviving with only a couple of nodes or relocating to a hive and holding it. That said, I do like other aspects of balance in NS2. Gorge tunnels replacing MC teleport means that aliens aren't forced to go MC every game. SC starts are still gimmicky, as they should be.

I really don't like aliens having a commander in theory, but I admit in practice that it streamlines the game. Everyone wanting to be the hotshot early fade and whoring res instead of dropping chambers and nodes was frustrating. I am torn on needing to research hive abilities, but it is understandable. Aliens getting a 3rd hive in NS1 was almost always game over.

Onos feels awesome in NS2. I miss eating people, but I actually *feel* like a giant stomping death machine. Love it. I really miss metabolize and ACID ROCKET for fades, but let's be honest, they're strong enough as is. Focus was overkill for them, but I highly miss it for skulks.

I really miss the old maps. I want hera, tanith, eclipse, and nothing back! Again, this is probably simply nostalgia, but I felt like asymmetrical maps offered awesome strategies.

The new marine tech tree and reliance on tech points, and the new infestation system are both cool, but honestly I feel that they limit strategy. Marines are now bound to their start, and both sides are fighting for *tech points* and not strategic rooms as much. Locking down generator room to cut the map in half simply isn't as important in NS2. You need that 2nd tech point instead.

Meh, I could rant and talk about how much better NS1 and broodwar were than NS2 and SC2, and I could rant about those damned kids on my lawn with their skateboards and swear words, but both games are truly enjoyable. I am doubtlessly affected by fond memories of playing NS1 til 4 in the morning, but I still hold high hopes that NS2 will clean itself up and get that crisp, balanced, and awesome gameplay that NS1 had. I think it can get there!
  • Metal ManMetal Man Join Date: 2011-11-13 Member: 132717Members
    I think most NS1 players will agree it was superior in every way to NS2 except for graphics. And still I think NS1 looked better because of the feeling of the maps and the sharpness of the alien combat. NS1 was literally my favorite PC game and one of my favorite games of ALL TIME. Seriously it was PC gaming at the very peak. Magical years for me. Sure, different versions created different ups and downs. But overall it was consistently near perfect. Great combat, atmosphere, strategy, performance, visuals, uniqueness (these complimentary adjectives can go on forever). Great community too.

NS2 gives me hope and I understand it is still being developed.... but yeah nowhere close to the original. BUT in its defense very few games in existence good compare to the original. So yeah i liked NS1 quite a bit
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Metal Man wrote: »
    I think most NS1 players will agree it was superior in every way to NS2 except for graphics. And still I think NS1 looked better because of the feeling of the maps and the sharpness of the alien combat. NS1 was literally my favorite PC game and one of my favorite games of ALL TIME. Seriously it was PC gaming at the very peak. Magical years for me. Sure, different versions created different ups and downs. But overall it was consistently near perfect. Great combat, atmosphere, strategy, performance, visuals, uniqueness (these complimentary adjectives can go on forever). Great community too.

NS2 gives me hope and I understand it is still being developed.... but yeah nowhere close to the original. BUT in its defense very few games in existence good compare to the original. So yeah i liked NS1 quite a bit

I played ns1 a lot and loved it. Except devour... But that aside, it was great.

But I cannot agree with you. For me, ns2 is better. Yes there are some things that can be improved, and perhaps a couple that ns1 did better, but overall ns2 is, for me, the best game of all time.
  • ValshistixolValshistixol Join Date: 2013-04-09 Member: 184723Members
    I can't think of any ways in which NS2 is better than NS1.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

I replayed ns1 for a few weeks before ns2 was released. Beware of rose-tinted spectacles!
    Wow, lots of NS1 fans here. Is the mod still active or has it died out? Alternately, is there a mod for NS2 that emulates NS1? I'd definitely be interested in trying it out, seeing how much I like NS2.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    Wow, lots of NS1 fans here. Is the mod still active or has it died out? Alternately, is there a mod for NS2 that emulates NS1? I'd definitely be interested in trying it out, seeing how much I like NS2.

Well I'd hope there would be a lot of NS1 fans seeing as how NS2 wouldn't exist without it!

As for your question I am pretty sure there is still one server that has people playing on it so it isn't completely dead. (Been a while since I have loaded up NS1 though) As for NS2 port you are looking for xDragon's NS2:C mod. It changes a lot back to the NS1 style res model but also is an expansion of the concept so it is not an exact 1:1 clone. I don't think it is up to date for the latest build however.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/121482/ns2c

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited April 2013
    Long, protracted games were not unusual for a very long time in NS1. They had their appeal, but they do have a tendency to get boring and exhausting after a while, especially if one team is clearly outplaying the other but is unable to finish the game. Marines only required one CC for all their tech in NS1, and CC relocation could be dropped anywhere on the map and didn't require a tech point (the only restricted building was the hive). You can imagine the frustration for the aliens when the marines relocate to, for example, a vent in the back the engine room hive location on ns_bast.

So, yeah, if you think siege situations can get bad in NS2...
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    NS1 Good
    1) 100+ fps all game
    2) Good movement feel due to HL engine. Jetpack was sleek and fun to fly, skulk was fast.
    3) Some incredibly tense games. Don't get the same feeling with NS2.
    4) Old movement chamber (MC) mechanics. The gorge spit the building hive so aliens at other hives, or any MC chamber could instantly transport over to help. Gorge tunnels could replicate this, but they're too cumbersome currently.
    5) Fade was amazingly fun to play once you got a handle on it. Most of the alien mid game centered on a super fade holding up the team for better or worse.
    6) OLD SIEGE CANNONS. Sneaking a PG and getting some sieges built before aliens noticed was fun.
    7) Game didn't end on CC\hive destruction, fun hunting down last marine and gorges in a vent.

Bad
    1) Many pub games were stacked. Games were decided within 3 minutes sometimes.
    2) The notorious "getting killed around the corner" lag due to hl network quirks.
    3) Most pub games on aliens had little communication. Sometimes nobody would save 50 res to drop the second hive which usually meant game over.
    4) Old graphics, not a biggie though.

NS2 Good
    1) Alien comm - Most pub servers didn't have any direction on aliens until somebody took charge. This formalized things so there is a lot more communication now. Although it still needs improvement.
    2) Graphics. Game is very pretty to look at.
    3) Microphone codec is much improved. Rookie mode. Mod system integration with steam workshop makes installing mods incredibly easy.
    4) Power node system. End those pesky turting marine rounds... lights going out is cool (lighting still needs tweaking though in pitch black)
    5) Gorge tunnels! I like the idea, just not the current implementation. It's too confusing have multiple tunnels to enter instead of having a hub or something.

NS2 Bad
    1) Performance. Only get 20 fps in fights with lowest details and low resolution. My computer isn't new but it can handle most other modern games well on medium-high settings. Very CPU intensive. Takes some of the fun out of the combat.

2) ARCs. As interesting as they sounded when first introduced (MASCs lol), I don't really care for them. Easy to spam them and just roll them into an alien hive once you have lots of money coming in. A hard cap on how many you could build might resolve this.

3) JPs. The movement feels like a brick in this game. I loved how they felt in NS1, but I imagine that's difficult to replicate.

4) Fading. New blink is cool and similar to the old one. But they're so fragile right now, back in NS1 they could take some punishment if they were good. Marines had to work to block them to take them down.

There is a lot that can change thouh in another year or two, so I'm still hopeful NS2 will eventually be as good as NS1.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    playing ns2 is like going to order your favourite soup, only to find someone's dumped a load of dirt in it. You still order it anyway because most the other soups on the menu don't have much flavour.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    elodea wrote: »
    playing ns2 is like going to order your favourite soup, only to find someone's dumped a load of dirt in it. You still order it anyway because most the other soups on the menu don't have much flavour.

Lol, come on I really enjoy ns2, you guys are bashing it way too hard.

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited April 2013
    Yes but any aliens still alive would rapidly take damage.

I like the combat in ns1 much more, it was very fast, very deadly and over in moments. NS2 combat feels rather neutered in comparison, everyone feels weak, jumping is prioritized and prevalent and often (especially with less skilled players) combat turns into a long, drawn out jump fest.
    The same (but much, much more so) goes for the gorge, ns1 gorge was scary(for the marines) and fun(for the gorge). Ns2 gorge is like a crappy rts worker who can only place 3 buildings, still fun and useful but a shadow of what it was.

At least thats what the skulk/marine combat and gorge feels like, I sucked too much to play the other alien classes in ns1 so I cant comment on them (thought considering all the cut abilities I imagine it is no picnic on that front either).

And of course maps, the stock ns2 maps feel very simplistic compared to some of the stuff seen in ns. Not to mention larger models and marine sprint make maps feels much smaller.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    ezekel wrote: »
    elodea wrote: »

Lol, come on I really enjoy ns2, you guys are bashing it way too hard.

In some ways I think we were spoiled by NS1 being such a ridiculously awesome game :)

On a slightly more serious note NS1 changed the whole way I think about FPS games and multiplayer. It's kind of hard to compare any game with that.
    Roobubba wrote: »

I replayed ns1 for a few weeks before ns2 was released. Beware of rose-tinted spectacles!
    What negatives did you find there? I just absolutely loathe the nostalgia argument without any backup. Way too often it's used as the go-to when you actually don't have a proper argument.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    NS1 was great at the time, but NS2 is the vastly superior game.

And don't judge this on nostalgia. Go back and actually play NS1 for a bit. You'll be horrified.