co_portals - Community Made Fun Map!

Comments

• JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    The canon yeah, but its not playing the cinematic all the time.
    I think I need the possibilty to add outputs to and teleporter or push_trigger so they trigger the cinematic directly.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Actually I was trying to convince JimWest to code a wild Babblers horde that will rip apart anyone falling inside the cage. Unfortunately there is no such thing available atm so I will have to stick with tamed Onoses for now :-)

Your threats will not be taken in to account, you can increase the lava damage as much as you want :-P
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Rudy - great work! I love the cinematic effect on the portals and we should use them everywhere.

The cannon is awesome and the proportions look very good. I really want to know how you get the cel shading effect - it's very cool. I desperately tried to get the cinematic on the cannon to not play but couldn't do it, however the push_triggers did sometimes just push me to the side of the net instead of tossing me up like it should. But that might just be a part of push_trigger. Either way this is an amazing centerpiece for the map!
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    Rudy.cz wrote: »
    Actually I was trying to convince JimWest to code a wild Babblers horde that will rip apart anyone falling inside the cage. Unfortunately there is no such thing available atm so I will have to stick with tamed Onoses for now :-)

Your threats will not be taken in to account, you can increase the lava damage as much as you want :-P

Maybe a custom model of babblers running about inside a trigger_hurt or whatever it's actually called.
    JimWest wrote: »
    The canon yeah, but its not playing the cinematic all the time.
    I think I need the possibilty to add outputs to and teleporter or push_trigger so they trigger the cinematic directly.

Yeah that would be really cool, but I think you have other priorities ATM. The current solution is satisfactory.
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    Rudy - great work! I love the cinematic effect on the portals and we should use them everywhere.
    I desperately tried to get the cinematic on the cannon to not play but couldn't do it, however the push_triggers did sometimes just push me to the side of the net instead of tossing me up like it should. But that might just be a part of push_trigger. Either way this is an amazing centerpiece for the map!

The portal cinematic is just recolored effect for tech point.

I am not sure if I understand what you mean. The cinematic should play only 1x after is triggered from the cannon.

The push triggers doesn't work 100% - sometimes they wont activate immediately and the trajectory is not always the same. But they work quite OK most of the time. Also if skulk, the cannon works best when you are crouched (deactivates wall sticking).
    Caboose wrote: »
    Maybe a custom model of babblers running about inside a trigger_hurt or whatever it's actually called.

Good idea, I will create an cinematic with Babblers jumping around and add damage trigger.

• BrawBraw Join Date: 2008-03-21 Member: 63920Members, Constellation
    The cel shading is pretty sick, how did you manage to pull off that trick? Great job btw :)
    Hehee, that is my secret that I am gonna to keep for a while ;-) But its very simple and could be easily find out from the Editor :)

But is is causing some problems with shadowing, which I am afraid, I will not be able to find a workaround for :(
    edited April 2013
    I am not sure if I understand what you mean. The cinematic should play only 1x after is triggered from the cannon.

The push triggers doesn't work 100% - sometimes they wont activate immediately and the trajectory is not always the same. But they work quite OK most of the time. Also if skulk, the cannon works best when you are crouched (deactivates wall sticking).

Sorry to confuse - Jim said it doesn't play 100% of the time, but it did for me (I couldn't get it to not work). Yes, when making spacejump I noticed the push_trigger will affect different lifeforms differently, but overall I'd say they are working pretty well here.

edit: on the off chance that you still have no concept for your room, grav_trigger has just been added to EEM and could be a lot of fun to play with.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    Man you guys are making my map look terrible :D
    draktok wrote: »
    Man you guys are making my map look terrible :D

haha don't trip chocolate chip! I'm overly impressed so far as well. You'll note my most successful map so far is not very well balanced and was my first publish so it's not very optimized or well planned. Trying is how we learn.

We still aren't even 1 month since posting so I don't want to pressure anyone, but if you have some WIP screenshots I'd love to check it out. And as usual please ask for advice - the guys making the awesomest stuff here are happy to help you out!
    And what's the status so far? Did anybody sent you already the room for integration?

I can send you mine if needed, but I intend to work on it a bit more next weekend.
    And what's the status so far? Did anybody sent you already the room for integration?

I can send you mine if needed, but I intend to work on it a bit more next weekend.

Can everyone that hasn't posted a screenshot yet just update about where you're at?

Most people should be partway through their rooms at this point. However I don't see many WIP screenshots (only 3 of 10). If you plan on starting it next weekend or whatever it's no problem, but I'd like to have an idea of where everyone is.

I still think the 2 month timeline was realistic for final revision of your room, which is still a month and 10 days. If we can do it sooner great, but I don't want to rush anyone's work.
    I'll see if i can polish up a bit and post a screen shot tonight or tomorrow.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    I lost my interest in mapping. Someone else can take my spot. Otherwise, I will not have time to work on it for about a month.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'll take the spot if you really want to give it up.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Well I got started on it today.
    A small room with the new gravity entity. The center of the room has a fan that affects a players gravity.

Video of it here when the upload finishes.
    Some Screens.
    2013_04_14_00004.jpg 2013_04_14_00005.jpg 2013_04_14_00006.jpg

2013_04_14_00007.jpg 2013_04_14_00008.jpg 2013_04_14_00009.jpg

2013_04_14_00010.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Worthy, that looks great! I'm amazed you managed to put it together so fast, and I too wanted to play with the new gravity entity.

We'll apply the affects that Rudy used on the portals to yours - I really want there to be some hint of which direction the portal is heading.
    It's as if he was already planning to make a room ;P
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    I'm amazed you managed to put it together so fast.
    draktok wrote: »
    It's as if he was already planning to make a room ;P

I started creating some geometry 2 days ago, a concept room to try and show piece the gravity entity. I was planning a new combat map with it as a center piece. I'd only got so far as a small grey boxed room.

Then DarkSeraph PMed about xtcmen pulling out.
    A few free hours plus a killer hangover on a lazy Sunday and voila.

Personaly I think the room is a little small and I'd like to enlarge it a bit as it's lot of fun flying in the center and a little more room to move would make it more interesting.

Would you like me to load it onto the workshop so you guys can have a run around it ?
    Pick it to pieces and let me know what needs improvement.

I think its great, and realistically it's about the size of my map. I didn't have a terrible lot of time to work on it today, and I really need to work on it to polish it up to the quality shown here today.

I will note that I'm doing perhaps an over used them, a cafe / restaurant :p I like rooms that I can relate to in real life is all :(
    edited April 2013
    Room 2 loaded onto the workshop. I enlarged it just enough to keep to the brief of 6-7 second travel time between portals. Drop me feedback on it when you get a chance to look at it.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=139296239
  • PandademicPandademic Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183359Members
    edited April 2013
    Published the lava cave, WIP. Still have the lighting to do, and the props are temporary.

6cOe0i2.jpg
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    edited April 2013
    Excited to play this guys!!!

Makes me think of an idea for a NS2 map where the players abstractly transition to completely different areas when they move room to room, without portals and with some link flow :P. Like going from a landing pad area through to a planet setting, as if they had travelled on the shuttle, into a building setting they they have now entered :P. Maybe a Airlock room ;) where they need to traverse space and gain access again on the other side (making use of gravity entitiy and DamageOverTime entitiy :P)
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
    I'm about to stream some hot, drizzling mapping action of my co_portals hive room: http://www.twitch.tv/flaterectomy/

EDIT: Here's the VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/flaterectomy/b/393816694 (1h30m long, meep)
    edited April 2013
    @Flaterectomy - looking good! Good god you listen to some really bad techno! haha Post the playable version once it's done and we'll check it out.

@Pandademic - took another look in game. I really do like how the portals look in the cave walls. There is no death trigger at the top of the lava fall (i can crawl back in there). When you're looking at the alien portal, you can go behind the rest of the map to the right! I wouldn't mind a vent connecting in there or something, but people shouldn't be able to go behind your models/geo. I think the rest is pretty game ready. I like the little guy down in the lava, I don't recall that model.

@WorthRival - the room looks great in game! The busy futuristic texture/effects are used tastefully; might change portal effects, but might leave the anti-grav one there? I like the ceiling texture behind the fan, I don't remember that one. Three initial concerns: 1. when exiting the side portals the initial reaction to run forward runs you into a wall that you can't even jump over that easily, maybe try to make that transition smoother? 2. The glass at the very top that you can get behind, is that intentional? It partly acts like a vent but you can't go behind 3 posts and most of the time you can still get shot from below. You can also get behind the fan/screen as skulk which I don't think you should be able to do. 3. The portal in the center is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how well it's going to work. Even gameplay thoughts aside I would occasionally port through and be forced right back (I think depending on entrance velocity). Can someone else take a look and help give feedback on this?

@draktok & @Braw - post em when you got em! pics or test map.

People I need to hear from or I will PM shortly: There's no need to stress, at worst deadline is still a month away. I'd just like to know you're starting on it, or it's a WIP right now. Post pics or test map when you have it!

edit: username spelling
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @DarkSeraph Thanks for your kind words regarding my music that I made myself. :'( *weeps*

;)
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    yo sorry about the lack of involvement over the last few weeks! I needed to a big push to finish up the grayboxing of my map. Didn't want to get distracted with any other projects. The first build is all done now, it'll needed to be tested a few times before i change anything, so I'll get started on this next!
    I'm about to stream some hot, drizzling mapping action of my co_portals hive room: http://www.twitch.tv/flaterectomy/

EDIT: Here's the VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/flaterectomy/b/393816694 (1h30m long, meep)

Your brushwork is cheesy as your music :-P (just joking!)

A proposal, maybe we can organize a Portals test event on Spark Craft Collective server during the week. Everyone could prepare combat version of his room.

If you need ready room, entities and team spawns you can rip them from my map.