Ridiculous font

KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
I just can't understand how this was approved. It's the kind of mistake you could get away with in the beta but not now! I can understand changing things to improve consistency but any sane person should go "oh wait that looks terrible, we should just keep what we have until we can make something better".

Comments

• draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    It's just too skinny and neigh impossible to read on a CRT monitor. Also before anyone says CRT MONITOR?? Well the stupid things never die, so i haven't bothered upgrading.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Snypr18Snypr18 Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168566Members
    +1, I like this build but I do not like the new font.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    See it as reason to stop caring about score and open map instead and go where needed.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    SanCo wrote: »
    See it as reason to stop caring about score and open map instead and go where needed.

I agree with you a bit.

HOWEVER, its useful for the karm/com to see if his troops are spending their res because g-ddangit I am not going to rush exo again...

• hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Happened earlier in the beta when they changed another part of the games font, its not game breaking so why waste time delaying the patch to fix this.
    Sure it makes a quick tap of the scoreboard harder to read but I would rather not have had to wait until after the weekend for this patch just because of the font.

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    draktok wrote: »
    It's just too skinny and neigh impossible to read on a CRT monitor. Also before anyone says CRT MONITOR?? Well the stupid things never die, so i haven't bothered upgrading.

Why should be CRTs stupid? I stopped using them 10 years ago, because the flicker was killing my eyes, but I hear that competitive players prefer them because of lack of motion blur, superior response times, no ghosting... and besides that, the color gamut is wider.
  • Martin7Martin7 Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148108Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Same here, font @1900x1200 is just terrible to read, stop changing things if u can make it only more worse than before, it sucks so much. This must be fixed soon.
  • MyOwnOwnerMyOwnOwner Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 70006Members
    1920 x 1080 here at 27" LCD.

It is very exhausting to read the scoreboard with the current font.

The font itself looks nice, but you need to do:

a) increase letter spacing (x 1,25 or so)
    b) increase font size (x 1,5 or so)

Then everything will be better to read.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    yeah i also dont like the new font, is realy hard to read now, but i expect a mod that will fix this mistake if the devs dont fix it...
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited April 2013
    the new font itself isn't that bad, aside from the fact that it's incredibly small on 1920x1080.

perhaps change the scoreboard to portrait instead of landscape, then increase the font size?

i'm not convinced it needed to change, but if it's to change then surely the purpose should be to make it optimally 'fill the screen' - even with few players like 6v6 format.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    I disliked it too at first. But then after several games, it was a lot better than the old one on my tiny resolution, a lot more readable and a lot more information can be displayed at once.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited April 2013
    SanCo wrote: »

STOP HAVING FUN GUYS!

I'll still contend that the scoreboard is useful even for the likes of you. You can instantly see how many players are dead, how much res they have, what weapons or lifeforms the living ones have, whether the ones with the good lifeforms are worth a damn (that fade at the bottom of the scoreboard is probably not someone you want to rely on). It's a lot of information to digest very quickly (so we can get back to the all important map), so it needs to be readable quickly.
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I can't see the problem with this. Are you all playing on your iPhone? Or 15''? I have a 19'' 3:4 display and there is absolutely no problem with reading the scoreboard. Are my eyes that good or is it you? Sure the old one was readable from across the room, but since I'm in front of my computer....
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    I'm more bothered by the fact that it makes damage numbers more difficult to see.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Its largely unreadable.

It was unintentional, and was known, but getting out a patch to everyone asap that eliminated that C++ runtime crash - as well as other things - took priority and it was not worth delaying it.

• FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    It was unintentional, and was known, but getting out a patch to everyone asap that eliminated that C++ runtime crash - as well as other things - took priority and it was not worth delaying it.

You post this same thing every single time. This excuse is getting old dude.

• FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    edited April 2013
    Just like your posts.

Criticism provides the best impetus for improving the game, so that's how I direct my posts. Nice to know the "playtesting lead" no less can only respond with a personal attack though. People can disagree all they want, but it doesn't change that it's a fact that you post up that same excuse every single time.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    Farknut wrote: »

You post this same thing every single time. This excuse is getting old dude.

you should watch your karma or you might end up working in software QA & release management
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    Just like your posts.

Obviously we're getting payed way too much Iron, oh wait :P

Also Farknut, sometimes we need to make a judgement call on things in the game, which are not entirely polished due to time constraints of a Release Candidate... Those are simple facts of game/software development. And of course we then say the "same thing", but this is not an excuse as you would have it... Instead it is indeed a fact of the matter at hand. If the issue is game breaking or a show stopper (crashing), then of course we do not release. However this scoreboard font, it's not exactly gamebreaking now is it...

What would you have us do, not getting the important "on mapchange crash fix" as soon as possible out the door into the hands of everyone that is frustrated by this crashbug? Because of a bloody font on the scoreboard, it's all about putting it in perspective... Not even mentioning all the other bug fixing!

I hope this at the very least gives you better understanding of the hows, whys and what nots that goes on "behind the scenes" <-- laughable at best, UWE is the most open developer that I've ever seen. But this doesn't automatically mean that EVERYTHING is out in the open...
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    @farknut How is "sorry we messed up it's getting fixed next patch" an excuse? It's a reason that it happened, not a cop out. He isn't hiding behind the reason, lol.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    Kouji, are you saying changing the scoreboard font has resolve a CTD crash on mapchange?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    @draktok
    And you still have eyes? You should upgrade just to keep them there.

@khyron
    Well, maybe the old font had a corrupt piece of data that carried on during mapchange, causing some people to crash?
    OOOR... like has been said, it was just overlooked when they wanted to put the patch out which had code fixes. Derp, derp, herpady derp.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Khyron wrote: »
    Kouji, are you saying changing the scoreboard font has resolve a CTD crash on mapchange?

I don't think so, I think the urgency of getting the patch out to fix the CTD bug rather than the fonts being responsible for the crash is what he is saying. They did change away from TTF to bitmap for in game fonts and the current look of the scoreboard is the side effect of this.
  • VayVay Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183959Members
    How exactly can you mess up a font? I always wondered why programmers have issues like that. Just seems like they should be more isolated than changing a crash bug causing the font variable to change.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    Vay wrote: »
    How exactly can you mess up a font? I always wondered why programmers have issues like that. Just seems like they should be more isolated than changing a crash bug causing the font variable to change.
    The crashing has nothing to do with the font ;) The fonts have been changed from platform dependent TTF to platform independent bitmap. All I'm saying it was implemented, evaluated as not gamebreaking and as such released due RC time constraints and of course the much more pressing issues that were present in the public build (like the runtime error on map change)

The RC was already 24 hours later then planned.
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    The crashing has nothing to do with the font ;) The fonts have been changed from platform dependent TTF to platform independent bitmap. All I'm saying it was implemented, evaluated as not gamebreaking and as such released due RC time constraints and of course the much more pressing issues that were present in the public build (like the runtime error on map change)

Alright fine, UWE finally forced my hand.. sorry guys, but I'm going to have to blow the whistle on this one for the good of the community...

(secret internal email I retrieved from their email servers)
    eO8AKQc.png

Yeah, that's right UWE has done this as part of their evil plan to lower your resolution to they can use the extra CPU cycles the game normally would have take to run at higher resolution to run they're special hacking code to break into the pentagon so they can steal national secrets and then sell them to the commie Russians. But don't worry, as any American hero would do, I've secretly been an informant for the FBI and strike teams are now closing into residences of each dev.
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    FLuX wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Alright fine, UWE finally forced my hand.. sorry guys, but I'm going to have to blow the whistle on this one for the good of the community...

(secret internal email I retrieved from their email servers)
    eO8AKQc.png

Yeah, that's right UWE has done this as part of their evil plan to lower your resolution to they can use the extra CPU cycles the game normally would have take to run at higher resolution to run they're special hacking code to break into the pentagon so they can steal national secrets and then sell them to the commie Russians. But don't worry, as any American hero would do, I've secretly been an informant for the FBI and strike teams are now closing into residences of each dev.

omg so thats why i got a performance increase ! Shame on you UWE ! i hope your world domination plans crash and burn >:P
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I think the thing that's confusing people is why is it so difficult to change back to the old font, because after all, wouldn't it take like 30 seconds to do?

Well I think I can answer that, they changed the system of how their fonts work fundamentally, so at the moment they actually don't have any other fonts to cram into the new system and it wasn't straight forward to get some, so instead of spending a few more hours looking for a font that looked like the old font except in the new system... They pushed the patch out and are now looking at fixing the font issues for the next patch.

Although I must ask, why is it so difficult to change back to the old font? Can't you just push out a hotfix?