New Scoreboard Text

Comments

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    it's really bad, sorry
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Font is bad, calling for a recall of scoreboardbadtext.lua
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's not unreadable, but I admit that I did like the old font better.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Farknut wrote: »
    Good job playtesters! Another great success!

I like how we're blamed for every single issue that makes it into the build. Please, more blame!
    Don't ya mean fame obby, they love it, but don't yet know it :P

*gets the flamethrower from the shed*

FYI I'm setting fire to this bandwagon of "oh can't read" nonsense. Either you're doing it wrong or you need to turn on your monitor. Game usually works better with your monitor turned on! Try and play BF1942 with AA turned on, playing on same era rigs and then come back talking about readability :P

The only issue I see with the font that it is an ugly font, a very very ugly font when not used for logos I guess... But still quite readable. What is the licensing fee for using Tahoma, Trebuchet MS or Verdana?
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Kouji_San wrote: »

FYI I'm setting fire to this bandwagon of "oh can't read" nonsense. Either you're doing it wrong or you need to turn on your monitor. Game usually works better with your monitor turned on!

The only issue I see with the font that it is an ugly font, a very very ugly font when not used for logos I guess... But still quite readable. What is the licensing fee for using Tahoma, Trebuchet MS or Verdana?

Yes, you CAN read it, but every extra sec trying to find out if Joe-blogs has got enough to start riding shotgun is an extra mouthful of buttock removed from Jim-blogs going unhealed :P

• Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    the new font sucks, the last one was much better and better to read
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I nominate Courier.
  • W00dyW00dy Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182906Members
    it sucks! plain n simple and i dont think it was suppose to appear that way. IDK but looks very amateur work for me
  • DavkausDavkaus Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178490Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's absolutely horrible. A classic example of trying to fix something that wasn't broken and making it significantly worse.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't have any trouble reading it. I do prefer the old font though.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    New font is def cooler, but the spacing, what the hell? Why is there only 1 pixel between letters? Just no.
  • mibuwolfmibuwolf Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174760Members
    It's not that I can't read the text, but it's that it is arguably more difficult to read than before. I cannot understand why there was a change to begin with. Was there an issue with the previous font that I'm unaware of?
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    ^the previous font wasn't very NS2-esque, looked like something copied from another game. -Hughnicorns exact words, check the patch video on front page.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    edited April 2013
    computer-font3_thumb.jpg
    Wasn't a good idea, even in the 80s.

edit: my point being that in the 80s people thought that to imply something was 'high tech' they felt compelled to use this ridiculous font. Later, better sense prevailed when people decided it was more important for a font to be legible.. since... you know... that's the point of written words.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    max mentioned a phase out of truetype to align with future plans. could be related ????? Not a showstopper. UWE frequently updates the UI - i'm sure it will be made better.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    extollo wrote: »
    max mentioned a phase out of truetype to align with future plans. could be related ????? Not a showstopper. UWE frequently updates the UI - i'm sure it will be made better.
    Pretty much this.

I believe its to make it easier for cross-platform releases, but I'm mostly speculating.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    ^the previous font wasn't very NS2-esque, looked like something copied from another game. -Hughnicorns exact words, check the patch video on front page.

Yeah, I don't follow that reasoning at all.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    2d0x wrote: »
    Yes, the font and size is quite unusual.
    draktok wrote: »
    on a crt monitor the text is impossible to read
    CRT MONITOR!? people is still using them in era of lcd? I have not seen them for several years ;)
    But I need them for my portable computer!
    j4FlE.jpg

Hello 2002.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Its largely unreadable.

It was unintentional, and was known, but getting out a patch to everyone asap that eliminated that C++ runtime crash - as well as other things - took priority and it was not worth delaying it.

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    2d0x wrote: »
    Yes, the font and size is quite unusual.
    draktok wrote: »
    on a crt monitor the text is impossible to read
    CRT MONITOR!? people is still using them in era of lcd? I have not seen them for several years ;)

They tend to be cheaper and have higher refresh rates and sometimes colour quality.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited April 2013
    mibuwolf wrote: »
    It's not that I can't read the text, but it's that it is arguably more difficult to read than before. I cannot understand why there was a change to begin with. Was there an issue with the previous font that I'm unaware of?
    We had to get rid of all the truetype fonts in the game, and convert over to just using bitmap fonts. So, this change was part of that phase, and rather then rendering out the old scoreboard font, the new one was chosen since we already have it rendered for the other areas in the game, and so we could keep the consistency. The font itself is not the problem mainly that it is not scaling and being spaced out based on resolution. This will be sorted out soon, but as Ironhorse mentioned, it was not worth delaying the patch over.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    That's Sqeal and Ironhorse for the update.

From what I'm hearing (elsewhere), a lot of this patch has to do with high-end competitive games and an upcoming tourny. That kind of explains a deadline and the willingness to sacrifice a 'polish' thing like the appearance of the scoreboard. Even with all this extra perspective I still think this was a bad call / a process failure or simply a bad judgement. That aspect frustrates me much more than the actual cosmetic snafu.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    @1080p, the text is legible.

Maybe at lower resolutions it looks worse, I don't care enough to test it.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited April 2013
    @FLuX you are so fired! :p
    The plan for ******* must stay secret!
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    this is what it looks like GrayW:
    KiI|IlrKI|IlWM but so fucking squished left right you cannot tell letters apart.
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    at least the font isn't comic sans
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    GISP wrote: »
    @FLuX you are so fired! :p
    The plan for ******* must stay secret!
    What plan, there is no plan, it's all FLuX imagination at work. That's right, nothing to see here...

yuckfoo wrote: »
    at least the font isn't comic sans
    Comic Sans is awesome, Mendasp really likes it as well :P

/me runs for cover