Natural Selection 2 Build 244 Live on Steam

Comments

• extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    rolf. i sure dont want the alpha gameplay & performance back. also, i'm happy for uwe to release content, sell games & stay alive as a company. i've noticed a tad of a performance increase since a month before release. in fact i've noticed a couple of major bumps in a couple of patches. they must have hired somebody to work on that.

I agree though. if they don't fix last used weapon bind, i'm quitting the game.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The nano changes make it kind of useless on structures unfortunately. I hope you will consider differentiating the effect on players and structures.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    @cory: well, that makes sense (regarding major changes before the finals)

but the finals them self are just a big marketing trick, cause everyone who joins in cause of this will be very disappointed by the actual state of the game.

in the end it doesn't matter who will win the game.
    i also think that no matter what changes you make,
    arc will take the advantage cause of attitude and
    the results from it.

also all that money you spent for those finals,
    would be way better invested in fixing the performance issues.
    it would have been awesome to hire carmack for a short period of time or so.

THAT would have been a message to me,
    that you rly try everything to make it a perfect game!

that one is especially for you charlie:

i love that i have been part of this story
    and have been since 2001 when i first heard about ns1
    but i dont know how much longer i can support your project (ns2),
    as the roads you are taking, leaving the impression of
    leading at the opposite direction of what you where
    promoting to aim at. (open development, at least 50% competitive, needing just a low spec machine, ...)
    it looks you are turning right into what you were fighting in the beginning.

i am looking forward to some reactions from charlie to this,
    cause i rly want to be convinced again.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Bott wrote: »
    Please get that hideous scoreboard fixed. Very hard to read anything.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Its largely unreadable.

It was unintentional, and was known, but getting out a patch to everyone asap that eliminated that C++ runtime crash - as well as other things - took priority and it was not worth delaying it.

• 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    I guess I'll have to go play it tonight and see what all the gripping is about. I've always played NS and NS2 for fun. No other game give me the excitement and adrenalin rush. The changes require adjustment but if you're not worried about your stats they are a chance to experiment. What if there were no more changes after this one? What then? I don't play half life any more but I would if hl2e3 ever comes out.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited April 2013
    derWalter wrote: »
    also all that money you spent for those finals,
    would be way better invested in fixing the performance issues.
    it would have been awesome to hire carmack for a short period of time or so.
    HaHaHa...oh man. I love that we can have rational and intelligent conversations on these forums :P

--Cory
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2013
    derWalter wrote: »
    (open development, at least 50% competitive, needing just a low spec machine, ...)

Open development:
    They have regular blog updates, they keep us updated about what they are working on and you can play the stuff they try out as Balance mod in the Steam Workshop - what more do you realistically want?

At least 50% competitive:
    Some people in this thread are already complaining that UWE would only care about comp play with this patch. Guess you can never make everyone happy since everyone seems to develop into some paranoid creature that believes that the devs are money-sucking vampires who just plot one vicious marketing strategy after another to maximize their profit before they burn the game and it's servers to ashes.

Needing a low spec machine:
    I can play this game fluently on a machine that can not run simple UE3 games like Rock of Ages without dropping to 10 fps at lowest details. To me they hold up to the "bargain".

Then again, is there anywhere written in stone what they consider a "low spec machine" or do you just consider "low spec" whatever the lowest toaster is that you can find out there? I hope you were not expecting this kind of engine generation to run on a machine just because that machine could run NS1 back then when they said "low spec".
  • RoboTronRoboTron Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43905Members
    edited April 2013
    Farknut wrote: »
    It sounds like some people here wanted us to change the whole game around RIGHT before a major finals event. Reworking the entire movement code, for example, would be crazy to do a week before Cologne, but you can see it is something that is in the works.

Because you didn't change the whole game with the changes in gorgeous right before the tournament started, amirite?

well it's a pretty big difference between changing something before a tournament and changing it in the middle of it, amirite?
    edited April 2013
    HaHaHa...oh man. I love that we can have rational and intelligent conversations on these forums.

--Cory

as much as i agree with you please dont fall into the pit that s2 games did, where some of their devs made some pretty stupid comments in the heat of the moment on their forums. the backlash is not worth it :p you represent your product as much as the product itself.

MOBA games have notoriously bad communities so its not really a biggie in my opinion if a dev rages a bit but it is appearently important for some people
    NS2 have an AWESOME community much because (this is my opinion) of people like me who just friggin' love this game, your developement style and dedication and want to "spread the word", and have done so since ns1 times. but popularity has its dark side, and it will be harder and harder for you guys to maintain this openess as your game rises in fame

many of the posts here are just bullshit from people who begrudges you for your success for some reason.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Did this patch intensify the atmospherics? Suddenly everything is misty and full of god rays, you can hardly see stuff :p
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited April 2013
    RoboTron wrote: »
    MOBA games have notoriously bad communities so its not really a biggie in my opinion if a dev rages a bit but it is appearently important for some people
    I think you misinterpret my amusement for raging :)
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome patch. So many changes, that I love to read. Medpacks on techpoints. Medpack de-selection. The optimizations. OMG THE OPTIMIZATIONS! From 60 to 90 FPS! Gorge tunnels finally appear! :D Microphone mute bug was annoying. Parasite ease is cool! Now bring back building parasiting (visible only on map).

I'm really happy now. :D The only thing that bothers me is that the micro-stutter bug is back. (Every time an effect plays for the first time, I got a 0.5 seconds freeze) Firing my pistol for the first time, seeing alien blood for the first time... We had this bug in a previous build. Hope it gets fixed.

Anyway. Nice work UWE. Don't let the trolls get you down. Never gonna give you up. ;)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Necro start a tech support thread and i'll assist you in diagnosing the micro stutter so it can get fixed.

nono, i just gave a heads up for the future :)
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    HaHaHa...oh man. I love that we can have rational and intelligent conversations on these forums.

--Cory

as much as i agree with you please dont fall into the pit that s2 games did, where some of their devs made some pretty stupid comments in the heat of the moment on their forums. the backlash is not worth it :p you represent your product as much as the product itself.

NS2 have an AWESOME community much because (this is my opinion) of people like me who just friggin' love this game, your developement style and dedication and want to "spread the word", and have done so since ns1 times. but popularity has its dark side, and it will be harder and harder for you guys to maintain this openess as your game rises in fame

many of the posts here are just bullshit from people who begrudges you for your success for some reason.

I'd say the laughing was more at the idea of hiring Carmack. BECAUSE ID TECH4/5 WERE GLIMMERING EXAMPLES OF PERFORMANCE AND OPTIMZATION.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members

It was nice to hear mention of the female marine model in that one video. The womens will be very pleased that they can finally be equals.
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    edited April 2013
    Ive read that before bro, but thx i guess?
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited April 2013
    Anyway, spent some time playing the new version, it feels great. All the changes except the text in the score board are great (and that one, I heard, was not intentional), the marines have slightly harder time, which was needed, W/A upgrades come later, gorge tunnels are actually being used now, and babblers... well, erhm... they are still cute.

And don't even make me start about those beautiful, incredible lemon trees...
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    Wow, great job with the update!
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    *I hope I learn to not use lame, sexist jokes. In my free time, I could even read http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/06/misogyny-sexism-and-why-rps-isnt-shutting-up/ * --Comprox

that article uses the word 'fortnight'.

it's a sign.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Parasite feels like it has built in autoaim now. I've been tagging marines whole day.
    How exactly was it buffed? Bigger hitbox?
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    xen32 wrote: »
    Parasite feels like it has built in autoaim now. I've been tagging marines whole day.
    How exactly was it buffed? Bigger hitbox?

"wider" projectile now, in it's simplest sense... moreso it just mimics the Railgun projectile now to reflect a more consistent and more accurate parasiting.
  • Raven_XIRaven_XI Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12032Members, Constellation
    snaga wrote: »
    Raven_XI wrote: »
    Are you able to comment on peoples posts who are actually trying to create discussion about improving the game? And not just encouraging moronic fan boy posts?

That's hilarious. You actually thought that was what you were doing? Pro tip: try not to CAPITALIZE EVERY OTHER WORD if you want a SERIOSE DISCUSSION. That just makes you sound like a ****.

I also like how fan boy is supposed to be a diss. If you're not a fan of the game what the hell are you even doing here?

1) I fail to see how coming up with different suggestions about the game cannot be seen as trying to initiate a discussion. I appreciate that instead of actually reading my post and coming up with a rebuttal to my ideas which were backed up with logic (that you may or may not agree with), you instead chose to attack me personally.

2) I am a fan boy, which is why I am here. But there is a difference between a fan boy, and blind sighted moronic fan boy post which adds no substance to a discussion. To have an admin ignore other people and single such posts out does nothing to increase the standard of posting on this forum.

Perhaps the problem is I care about this game a little too much...

Play any actual formal (Pug / Scrim) game of NS and we'll see how well marines are doing.

Personal experience says Commanding a win on Aliens is MUCH more easier than commanding a win on marines in any play type. Its also less stressful.

No shit, this game is based on a game that didnt even have an alien comm.

I do not understand your logic. If it was based on NS, a game that didnt have an alien commander.. would that not make it more difficult as players are not as accustomed to the feature?
  • nawoanawoa Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174777Members, Reinforced - Gold
    1) The new player list font is a hate crime against ocular americans.

2) PLEASE add a vote-kick function and automatic AFK kicking after 5 minutes. I played in a server this afternoon and by the end of the round my team somehow ended up with 2 AFK players out of 6 players on the team. A while later I was on another server and some douchebag joined who spent the whole round telling the other team where we were moving and what our plans were, laughing the whole time on his mic. For a multiplayer-only game it's really disappointing that after 244 builds such a basic and simple feature hasn't been added.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    I was hoping to see the modded server issue resolved, but all I got was ugly font.

Wonderful.
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    But there is a difference between a fan boy, and blind sighted moronic fan boy post which adds no substance to a discussion.
    Read this. And stop calling my post like that, ignorant person.
  • Raven_XIRaven_XI Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12032Members, Constellation
    edited April 2013
    If you had to explain yourself using a second post, that only reinforces my point that your first post lacked substance.

Strictly speaking though, there is nothing wrong with your post. But id prefer devs spent their time about posts which actually discuss the gameplay.
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    My first post was a joyful expression of my emotions at that moment. I think it is quite normal here to express my emotions. Anyway you're the one on this thread who is displeased by my post, and you're the only one behaves rudely. Sadly i can't find "Ignore member" button :(
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    I'm not sure about the Mineshaft changes. It's like the 1% who play in comps have got their hands on it and applied their generic formula.