Wow! 4.8ghz sandybridge bottle necking in ns2

UnoidUnoid Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72884Members
Never would have thought my massive overclocked 2600k would bottleneck anything. Two 680s in SLI apparently do it.
At 1440p with everything maxed I still see 45fps dips haha. Also depending on occlusion high or normal worsens the bottleneck.

Comments

• BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    CPU is pretty much the bottleneck for anyone with this game, no matter how fast yours is.

Moar LUA for the LUA God.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    What do you mean by a "45fps dip"?

Is that after a 2 hour long game culminates in an epic battle between 470 ARCs against 620 Bombarding whips while marine and alien alike cheer from the sideline? Or is that a common and frequently occuring 45 fps dip?

If its the latter, then there is probably some unique peculiarity causing it. There are people with far worse rigs than yours getting impeccable performance.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Lets see... turn off ambient occlusion completely and see your fps never dip below 60.

Also, probably only dips that low in situations wheres there whips/crags/tons of players/exos all in 1 spot.
  • IckorusIckorus Join Date: 2012-07-12 Member: 154057Members
    See, the wierd thing for me is that I rarely notice a performance dip no matter what is going on in-game and my PC is thoroughly mid-range.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    That's because you have never experienced god performance.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Are you sure you are not hitting VRAM limit? I have seen the game allocate more than 2GB of VRAM on max details.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Are you sure you are not hitting VRAM limit? I have seen the game allocate more than 2GB of VRAM on max details.

The game shouldn't be allocating that much. There is something wrong there.
  • UnoidUnoid Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72884Members
    dip as in, if it ever goes below my 60FPS cap and both GPU's are not at 99%+ usage then it leads one to believe the cpu is bottlenecking.

It definitely could be when viewing or in the area of whips or other intensive CPU items.
  • Metal ManMetal Man Join Date: 2011-11-13 Member: 132717Members
    I'm not going to bother posting specs other than CPU, which is 2.8Ghz quad core i5. I admit i don't have the strongest CPU, but i specifically designed and built my PC for gaming. I can easily handle the most required games: ffxiv, the witcher2, bioshock infinite (divine game btw) on full settings. Really NO game in the world has ever given me performance problems. Nothing!

I want to love this game so bad but I can't play because the performance issues (especially considering its a FPS and they require a higher framerate for playability). I generally start the game between 40-60 fps and within 10 minutes im consistently near 35-40. No matter what by the mid-end of the game its 30 or lower.

There is CLEARLY an issue with the game and CPU usage. Its not just bad, there is some big flaw there. I respect the hell out all the programmers but its not the features and balance that are causing most people to leave your game; it is the horrid performance. For months and months since beta you have stated you will be working on this. I'm not trying to be a jerk but I have noticed little to no performance improvements since that time. The odd thing is many people I know have seen performance increases despite having worse rigs. Seems like a messy situation UWE. I wish you the best luck and I will play your wonderful game more when you resolve this massive issue.

Sorry for the rant, I am just frustrated and really really want to enjoy playing this game. One love
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Metal Man wrote: »
    I'm not going to bother posting specs other than CPU, which is 2.8Ghz quad core i5. I admit i don't have the strongest CPU, but i specifically designed and built my PC for gaming.

If you really bought your pc for gaming, then you should have bought a k-series for overclocking.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

I hit 1.5 gbs vram sometimes at 1080p. This guy is playing with 1440p. He very well could be hitting 2gbs at times.

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    BVKnight wrote: »
    Have you made your weekly sacrifice to the Lua Gods?
  • Metal ManMetal Man Join Date: 2011-11-13 Member: 132717Members
    Why would i spend more when I can already play the highest performance required games out there? How was that a valid response when I already stated I can play bioshock and the witcher2 perfectly. How is my PC lacking in gaming capability when it can play the highest quality games out there (in terms of visual settings)?

I don't know how to phrase this any differently. Do you understand my point or are you just trying to start an argument? I feel like nothing warrants NS2 requiring that much out of a CPU when NO other game in the world requires it. LMK if you misunderstood anything else. I love UWE and want to play this game.
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    Pretty much the same specs as you. Had my CPU at 4.8 for a while too but cruise on 4.5 for daily driving. GPU wise were 99% the same as well. I turned off ambient occlusion, AA. Never go below 60FPS now at any point maxed at 1440p.
    james888 wrote: »

I hit 1.5 gbs vram sometimes at 1080p. This guy is playing with 1440p. He very well could be hitting 2gbs at times.

I play at 1920x1200 and it filled up my 2GB on my GTX670. What I'm saying is that there is something inherently wrong with the game to use that much memory.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    BVKnight wrote: »
    Have you made your weekly sacrifice to the Lua Gods?
    I sacrificed a hard drive earlier this week.
    james888 wrote: »

I play at 1920x1200 and it filled up my 2GB on my GTX670. What I'm saying is that there is something inherently wrong with the game to use that much memory.
    I made a thread about it because I am curious.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members

There is CLEARLY an issue with the game and CPU usage.

I remember on the 1055t i had that ran 2.8ghz it was real rough trying to play this game in 760p, all low settings, gtx 560, 40fps with some dips. Put the same gtx 560 on a new 3770k build and now i can go all the way up to 1600x900 resolution, all settings off/low, and pull 100fps on a 144hz monitor. Makes me think the multithreading support isnt there, or is not very good on this engine. But the higher your core clock the better you'll do, see if you can get that i5 up to 3.2'ish. if it's the locked i5 that's... just gonna limit you :(
    edited March 2013

shoulda gone amd brev ;)
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    edited March 2013
    Some games are GPU bound, some are CPU bound. NS2 is CPU bound. To get better performance, increase your clock speed.

Planetside 2 is also CPU bound. I happen to know this because I bought my new PC specifically to play PS2 and NS2, and I did my research beforehand to find out what kind of a rig I needed to get the performance I wanted. And that research told me pretty quickly: buy as much CPU speed as you possibly can... the more, the better.

How is my PC lacking in gaming capability when it can play the highest quality games out there (in terms of visual settings)?
    Visual settings aren't the only thing. Your rig is more than sufficient to get good performance from NS2 in the visual department, but that's not all that's going on. NS2's gameplay logic is as demanding as its graphics processing, far more so than most other games out there - including those that are well-known as requiring "high performance", because those games only tax the graphics card.

I feel like nothing warrants NS2 requiring that much out of a CPU when NO other game in the world requires it.
    No other game in the world does what NS2 does.

It's unfortunate that the game plays so poorly on leading edge hardware from two years ago. But the good news is that in another year or two nobody will care.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Why would i spend more when I can already play the highest performance required games out there? How was that a valid response when I already stated I can play bioshock and the witcher2 perfectly. How is my PC lacking in gaming capability when it can play the highest quality games out there (in terms of visual settings)?

I don't know how to phrase this any differently. Do you understand my point or are you just trying to start an argument? I feel like nothing warrants NS2 requiring that much out of a CPU when NO other game in the world requires it. LMK if you misunderstood anything else. I love UWE and want to play this game.
    If it can't run NS2 well, then its obviously not able to handle the most performance intensive games. Also, you list a bunch of mostly singleplayer games, where you don't have to worry about the whole client->server architecture that makes online multiplayer games much more hardware intensive.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Please. You keep listing console games. Try Planetside 2.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Is this real life?

The witcher 2 and metro 2033 are widely known as the most graphic intensive and aesthetically good games ever released, both SP. Modding crysis 1-2 or the fallout series with high res textures and ENB is almost the same thing and they're both SP.

I get that you have to UWE drone because of your badge but please, stop spreading lies about other games and SP/MP differences, max payne 3 is also arguably up there in graphics and no one plays that for its MP even tho it was alright.

NS2 runs like arse for 99% of people because they don't OC their CPU and when they do, they turn everything high especially features like occlusion and their GPU gets dumped on because they aren't 7970 master race.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why do you keep talking about graphics when this thread is about the CPU?
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I do find it very strange that I start to notice input lag (not many people do, but I've trained my senses to notice these things) when my framerate dips below 110FPS. In most games, I don't notice such input lag issues until below 35FPS. Considering I get 70fps or so most of the time, this bothers me.
    snaga wrote: »
    Why do you keep talking about graphics when this thread is about the CPU?
    Because there are still quite a few people who labor under the false assumption that gaming performance is mostly related to GPU power.
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    I do find it very strange that I start to notice input lag (not many people do, but I've trained my senses to notice these things) when my framerate dips below 110FPS.

Riiight. Show me the double-blind test results and then we can continue this discussion.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Its quite obvious that the mouseinput is laggy/has issues after playing for example quake live. It gets progressively worse as the round goes on due to performance drop, but it doesnt feel that great in early game either.
    edited March 2013
    dont notice input lag here. 144hz 1ms asus monitor with a 1ghz polling rate razer deathadder. Did notice i had difficulty aiming, tracking in particular, with my previous monitor, at least compared to this one now, that might have been monitor-based input lag i am not sure.. also notice that when i move polling rate to 500mhz down from 1ghz on the mouse, that the tracking is a lot 'jumpier' and was very suprised to see this
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    edited March 2013
    If you're going to edit my comment, you might read more of his Angelwhoever.
    Rich_ wrote: »

shoulda gone amd brev ;)

Yeah, I really want AMD's crap driver support. My last card was a 5850 and while the hardware was great, I don't think I'll ever go back to AMD after experiencing modern nvidia driver support.
This discussion has been closed.