Wow! 4.8ghz sandybridge bottle necking in ns2

13»

Comments

• SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    edited March 2013
    invTempest wrote: »
    No, it can't. **I NEED TO BE NICER**. NS2 runs like garbage compared to Planetside 2.

NS2 has indeed come a very long way since the engine test so please get your facts straight.
    No shit.  I've been in since the engine test.  What I'm saying is that a comparison between the two can't be made.
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    snaga wrote: »
    Yeah, except no. Want me to Fraps it for you?
    I'd actually be interested in some NS2 vs PS2 benchmarks. The games are certainly different, but it'd be nice to know how NS2 compares to other recently released fpses (Tribes Ascend might be another good one to bench).

Why even draw the comparison? The two games are nothing alike. Woohoo NS2 may run better than a game were there can be hundreds/thousands of entities on the screen at any given time.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    A fair(er) comparison would be NS2 to Black Ops II, they were both released at around the same time.
    Caveat:
    Blops II doesn't have nearly as many entities, but the models are far more detailed.
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other really.
  • aYosaYos Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    snaga wrote: »
    Why do you keep talking about graphics when this thread is about the CPU?
    Because there are still quite a few people who labor under the false assumption that gaming performance is mostly related to GPU power.
    Actually, just to be factually correct, I believe they were talking about GPU performance and relating it to other games because NS2 was using all 2gb of vram on the gpu, where perhaps some of the newer singleplayer AAA games do not. I was interested in hearing perhaps what could be done (if anything) as I too own 670 2gb card.

[edit]Just reread and saw Metalman's post. My apologies. Still interested in hearing why it's using so much vRam. And I think Battlefield 3 would be a better comparison IMO.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    A fair(er) comparison would be NS2 to Black Ops II, they were both released at around the same time.
    Caveat:
    Blops II doesn't have nearly as many entities, but the models are far more detailed.
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other really.
    You mean a heavily modified idtech 3 engine that has then been honed and optimized over 9 AAA titles over the course of a decade by already successful developers and publishers?

I think we disagree on the definition of "fair"
    And just to be clear, timing of release means nothing for engine comparisons. Many devs today license pre existing engines, from that example above to even games released this week (hello bioshock) :)
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd actually be interested in some NS2 vs PS2 benchmarks. The games are certainly different, but it'd be nice to know how NS2 compares to other recently released fpses (Tribes Ascend might be another good one to bench).

So I was playing Planetside and took a couple of benchmarks:

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    58245, 1200000, 9, 85, 48.538

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    57487, 1200000, 8, 80, 47.906

Graphics on high preset. Might try with everything on low later.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    What I'm saying is that a comparison between the two can't be made.

Sure it can!

How Planetside 2 and Natural Selection 2 are alike:
    • Players complain about performance
    • Players complain about graphics quality
    • Players complain about imbalanced factions
    • Players complain that their favorite faction is no fun
    • Players complain that everything good about the first game has been ruined

How Planetside 2 and Natural Selection 2 are different:
    • In NS2, nobody complains about the business model, "pay-to-win", or how much money and/or time it takes to unlock new stuff

This clearly shows that NS2 is the better game of the two, by far. ;-)
    edited March 2013
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    What I'm saying is that a comparison between the two can't be made.

Sure it can!

How Planetside 2 and Natural Selection 2 are alike:
    • Players complain about performance
    • Players complain about graphics quality
    • Players complain about imbalanced factions
    • Players complain that their favorite faction is no fun
    • Players complain that everything good about the first game has been ruined

How Planetside 2 and Natural Selection 2 are different:
    • In NS2, nobody complains about the business model, "pay-to-win", or how much money and/or time it takes to unlock new stuff

This clearly shows that NS2 is the better game of the two, by far. ;-)

[color:orange]Snip - GISP[/color]
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    At least Planetside 2 has female models and isn't made by misogynistic developers.

When I installed PS2 and saw that yes, we exist and are allowed to play with the big boys, I immediately uninstalled NS2. Until my demographic is fairly represented in NS2 (and yes females will be just as fast and strong cause of space-gamma technology) I won't be able to bring myself to play it again.

Never noticed. Don't care.
    edited March 2013
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    Never noticed. Don't care.

[color:orange]Snip - GISP[/color]
    As a male on the internet, let me tell you about how I completely lack any semblance of empathy
    As a male on the internet, let me tell you about how I completely lack any semblance of empathy

You too?

Cool!
  • UnoidUnoid Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72884Members
    sex of models in game has no relation to cpu performance of this game. smug troll elsewhere.
    Well if the females have too many polygons in their boob plate CPU performance might take a hit
    Well if the females have too many polygons in their boob plate CPU performance might take a hit

Polygon count would affect GPU performance. The jiggle physics for their breasts and ass will definitely eat up some CPU cycles though.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    This thread is going nowhere, as these threads usually do.

**closed**
This discussion has been closed.