Natural Selection 2 Balance

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageNatural Selection 2 Balance

What is the state of Natural Selection 2 balance, and what is Unknown Worlds doing about it? Find out in this dev blog post.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to get comment thread to show up! Phew, Monday should never involve a 1,500 word blog post. Someone get me a beer.

Balance is a topic that causes forum etiquette to disintegrate. Please keep this thread friendly, on-topic and explosion free, or Comprox will nuke you, and then nuke me for posting about such a sensitive issue!
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'll keep this short: Nice job!
  • remramremram Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139815Members
    This is great and really insightful. It proves that you're working hard on maintaining balance, and also that you are rather good at it :)

What I was disappointed not to find is a combination of the last two types of diagrams, that would show the win rates of both races for each game lengths. That should certainly show something.

Keep up the good work!
  • spawnehspawneh Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22480Members
    Don't suppose you have region based stats? Show win ratios of different regions, US, EU, AU etc.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Nice post. Covers NS2 balance nicely.

However, I do have to quibble with one statement:
    It is a fundamentally asymmetrical game that does not force players to play through each phase (alien / human) to complete a full game. This means that probability of victory cannot be theoretically defined.
    NS2 may by asymmetrical in many ways, but the core is still the FPS standard two-sides with even numbers of players. Presuming the intent of the game is to not be biased against either team, the theoretical probability of victory should be 50%.
  • menohackmenohack Join Date: 2004-02-29 Member: 26995Members
    In 24-player servers the win rate is closer to 90% marines. I played 10 games last night on NationalGaming and 10 games today on KingKahuna. Marines won 9/10 both times. I decided to keep track of wins as I played because I felt that aliens were losing almost every match yet people kept claiming the win rate was 50/50.

Are you aware of this issue? My best guess is that marines get stronger in larger groups early on and aliens get relatively less higher life forms in larger games, possibly due to player res imbalance or not gaining res while dead.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    There was much debate about match length in NS1, and IMO the later versions generally played out at a good pace. Matches on average were 15-20 minutes, with longer matches quite possible but not the standard. I think that is a good standard as a measure of time for a match.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    menohack wrote: »
    In 24-player servers the win rate is closer to 90% marines. I played 10 games last night on NationalGaming and 10 games today on KingKahuna. Marines won 9/10 both times. I decided to keep track of wins as I played because I felt that aliens were losing almost every match yet people kept claiming the win rate was 50/50.

Are you aware of this issue? My best guess is that marines get stronger in larger groups early on and aliens get relatively less higher life forms in larger games, possibly due to player res imbalance or not gaining res while dead.

20 games is not a meaningful sample size. NS2Stats shows that KingKahuna is closer to 60% marine wins. And yes they're aware of that. I think the most plausible explanation is that the alien spawn system is responsible.
  • Silvereye89Silvereye89 Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157329Members
    edited March 2013

Completely agreeing with Menohack.

Are these Balance Stats recorded from 16 players Servers? Aliens are way too weak when it comes to a big group of marines.

And i'd still like to give the ns1 "focus" ability for aliens into discussion since marines now already have 2 abilities which can kill with a skulk with 1 hit - Shotgun and Railgun.

Afair - back in beta times - in a dev "diary" on twitch the devs said that they did not want to get focus or devour into the game because of their ability to take an enemy out of the game with a single successful hit. But then I keep wondering why marines are given those abilities. Even a full hp carapace skulk does not withstand 1 successful hit.

Ok. You might argue that a 0 resource lifeform shouldnt be strong enough toto take down a railgun exo (50 res) or sg (20res & recycable). But honestly on the other hand even an Onos needs 3 to 4 hits to kill a armor 3 marine (0res) lategame afaik.

While Aliens have the disadvantage of being only melee units (which is fine for me due to the great asymmetrical gameplay) they still do less damage in relation to health/armor of each side, and thus amount of hits needed.

Maybe you might tell me now, that aliens shouldn't stop moving and keep evading bullets. Yes. Sure. That's a great idea and really worked out in the last couple of builds. Now you are most likely only able to hit a marine a single time before he notices and then quickly jumps out of range which cannot even be compensated by a celerity skulk.

And at last I'd like to mention one additional point in terms of balance. This should rather be seen as an exception.
    There are several really good players out there - especially when one of those play marine, he can dominate a whole alien team due to 1 hit ability with Shotguns.

This is a teamgame. There shouldn't be the possibility for a single very good player to kill 3 or 4 units of the other team just by jumping around and hitting perfectly.

I'm sure I've forgot some things, but this should be it for the very moment.
    Looking forward to your comments.

PS: Nevertheless NS2 is just a great game but imho needs more balance polishing. I don't agree with the balance only beeing achieved by looking who's won without taking other aspects in consideration.

For example long games are mostly won by rines. I once played a match which was very very even at the 40 or 50 minute mark with exos and onoses. Both sides losing some and gaining new, but then suddenly the rine team just started building arcs and protected/camped those behind a wall next to a hive with 4 Exos. No chance to get them. Tried Onoses+umbra and bilebombs.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    edited March 2013
    using stats isn't so accurate

for example, marines joining after a round starts are almost at full strength (upgrades, access to weapons)
    a comparable alien late join still has to save up for a life form (no pres accumulated)
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Balance changes must be made carefully and subtly, lest they upset the delicate equilibrium that keeps the incredibly complex system that is Natural Selection 2 from crashing down into an ‘Aliens OP!’ nightmare.
    ^^This.

Far too often I see suggestions that involve taking a sledgehammer to game mechanics in an effort to swat a fly. It can't be understated how even a small change can have a huge balance ripple effect.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I don't know how far your sample sizes and level of detail allow to dissect the data, but the actually valuable and interesting stats kick in when you measure how the maps, player counts and skill levels affect the play.

For example Blizzard never ever even talks about overall winrates. The very first thing they do to statistics is to sort them into various leagues and then probably measure various maps and game lengths from there.

There's awfully lot of obsession with 50/50 considering how little it actually tells about anything without a well detailed context.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Bacillus wrote: »
    I don't know how far your sample sizes and level of detail allow to dissect the data, but the actually valuable and interesting stats kick in when you measure how the maps, player counts and skill levels affect the play.

For example Blizzard never ever even talks about overall winrates. The very first thing they do to statistics is to sort them into various leagues and then probably measure various maps and game lengths from there.

There's awfully lot of obsession with 50/50 considering how little it actually tells about anything without a well detailed context.

And 50/50 actually seems a bit of an odd goal. That assumes that all players are equally skilled on both teams, but because the teams use different skill sets, that isn't something that can be taken for granted.

My personal opinion is that new players especially should be more competent at Marine than Alien, and thus that the ratio should be in favor of Marines. That's just my thoughts on the matter though.
  • MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Pre build 240, I was one of the loudest, probably most annoying complainer crying "aliens win ALL THE TIME, the game's broke!". I had big doubts in what I read in the build 240 changelog that balance would be made. And you know what, a few days later, I congratulated you guys, because my personal stats showed balance. My gut feel felt balance. Finally.

When build 241 came out only 1 week later, you called the "Skulk movement issue" a bug and I was very angry thnking there goes my one week of great NS2 play. We will go right back into an alien OP nightmare. But I was wrong. A few weeks have gone by. Again my personal stats and my gut feel, say BALANCED.

Good job UWE.

P.S. My personal build 241 stats as of now. 64 games, 32 alien wins, 32 marines. Ratio: 50.0%. I kid you not.
  • Metal HandkerchiefMetal Handkerchief Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168697Members

This is what I've been bashing my head against since this latest patch. I've been experiencing 90%+ marine wins which made all the dev posts about how balance was 'improved' extremely jarring. One moderator even told me off quite rudely on the subject, so all this time I've been wondering what naive magical dimension the staff are living in.

I never considered map size. Unfortunately, the majority of servers are 24p for some obscure reason. It's not even fun, but my most favourite maps (mineshaft > refinery > summit) are almost always only available in max player size.

We should get a server list filter to narrow the server serch by match size:

"Filter games under [textbox] number of maximum players and over [textbox] number of maximum players"

So that we can avoid 20-24 and 8 player servers.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Nice post. Covers NS2 balance nicely.

However, I do have to quibble with one statement:
    It is a fundamentally asymmetrical game that does not force players to play through each phase (alien / human) to complete a full game. This means that probability of victory cannot be theoretically defined.
    NS2 may by asymmetrical in many ways, but the core is still the FPS standard two-sides with even numbers of players. Presuming the intent of the game is to not be biased against either team, the theoretical probability of victory should be 50%.

Do I understand correctly that you're saying the 'theoretical probability of a win' should be 50% for either side, just because there's an even amount of players on each team? As we both know, UWE strives to reach the 50/50 winrate as close as possible. However, due to the asymmetrical nature of the teams, it's nigh impossible to get an exact 50/50 winrate, without making weird design decisions. That's what I take from that message - the best way to be sure would be to force all players to play 1x marine and 1x alien and call those two games "one round". And as it stands, that would yield a theoretical 50% winrate.
    My personal opinion is that new players especially should be more competent at Marine than Alien, and thus that the ratio should be in favor of Marines. That's just my thoughts on the matter though.

I'm not sure how that would be classified as an opinion, but I understand your sentiment. If UWE does things right, skulk will feel about as logical as a marine. Sure, it takes some getting used to, having to run up there and chomp at something at melee range. On the other side, there's only very few games that require twitch-aiming and tracking fast-moving targets like is neccesary in NS2. It's very difficult for me to judge since I've been involved in NS for so long, but I feel like there's not a large difference for the average FPS player.

Pro FPS players, on the other hand, will definitely play a better marine game.

EDIT:
    We should get a server list filter to narrow the server serch by match size:
    "Filter games under [textbox] number of maximum players and over [textbox] number of maximum players"
    So that we can avoid 20-24 and 8 player servers.

I've seen that suggestion before and I agree that it would indeed be a great addition. Many people simply don't realize that the game was not designed around 12v12 teams.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i do think it would be useful to track statistics by "team power" - add up the total number of hours played by each player on each team with some sort of scaling factor, then compare the win-loss statistics against this.

Having played 1000 hours of NS2, I can pretty easily go 30:1 on either side against people with <100 hours of play. On the other hand, competitive players can probably go 30:1 against me (i mean lmg vs skulk). This radically shifts the balance when there's an imbalance of skills, especially since a single player can very often ruin the entire opposing team's strategy on a pub.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hugh, you are awesome and this post is awesome.

I love that UWE cares about balance and is willing to talk to us about it, even when I don't always agree with the changes.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013

There is no sample size: They're not statistics, they are parameters. (that is a very important distinction!). Yes, they are extremely granular, and go very deep into the game.
    For example Blizzard never ever even talks about overall winrates

That's not true, have you read David Kim's posts about balance? For example: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/5202424/Talking_Balance_with_David_Kim-4_26_2012

In this post, I defined two ways of talking about balance. When talking about the probability of a win in a randomly selected game, I discussed both the importance and limitations of striving for a probability of 0.5 across all games. Making that clear was the hardest part of writing the post, and where most people are fixating.
    Thuro wrote: »
    I do have some concerns about the desire to shorten games.

Very vaild concerns. Long games can be fun... But we have to 'balance' (Geddit?) the fun long games provide with the effects they can have on the broader game. A median game time of around 10-15 minutes and mean of 20 minutes would probably be ideal to mitigate a variety of issues long games cause.

Count me amongst those who love long games! We just have to all be calm and recognise the issues with too many of them.
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    the theoretical probability of victory should be 50%.

This is impossible to determine when both sides use completely different tech trees, methods of movement, attack dynamics... Imagine a rugby game where one team runs and one team uses hoverboards. What is the theoretical win rate? You can't determine it.
    What this all comes down to is... balance is not to be taken lightly. A small change can make a big impact because it opens up entirely different ways of playing out tactics. Sometimes all a game needs to balance out is time.

Very wise!

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Long games are great when they're perfectly balanced, constant back-and-forth affairs. Fact is though that these games are extremely rare, and games that aren't like that are better off ending within a reasonable amount of time. Designing the game to take longer is not going to make those close games happen more often, it just makes the games you're already playing take longer.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited March 2013
    Angelusz wrote: »
    I'm not sure how that would be classified as an opinion, but I understand your sentiment. If UWE does things right, skulk will feel about as logical as a marine. Sure, it takes some getting used to, having to run up there and chomp at something at melee range. On the other side, there's only very few games that require twitch-aiming and tracking fast-moving targets like is neccesary in NS2. It's very difficult for me to judge since I've been involved in NS for so long, but I feel like there's not a large difference for the average FPS player.

Pro FPS players, on the other hand, will definitely play a better marine game.

Anyone coming from TF2, CS:S, or any similar game will be much more comfortable tracking and shooting targets with a firearm than learning how to use Skulk movement, in my opinion. I think Aliens are also hit harder by no-res-while-dead and res-loss-on-death than Marines, along with mobility issues, the fact that Lerk/Skulk/Fade/Onos skills don't transfer between lifeforms, and various other punishing factors that all come together to make a day one (and after) Marine player better on average than a day one (and after) Alien player.
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    While a 50/50 ratio is nice to have, I would be curious to see the break down in terms of player count (12vs12, 10vs10, 8vs8, and 6vs6) to see exactly where the "middle ground" is. There is no doubt that larger servers favor marines and smaller servers favor aliens, so it would be nice to see exactly at what point (from a player count perspective) it crosses from alien favored to marine favored.

I think for people to agree that the game is balanced you need to have the same probability of winning a game in a 24 slot server as you do in a 12 slot server. Currently, this is not the case due to the fact that NS2 doesn't scale very well with player sizes. One of the design goals was to fix the resource system to allow the game to scale better and this was addressed by adding in personal res for the marines and team res for the aliens, however most of the other systems are based around static systems (alien egg spawning, p-res gain, structure health, etc...) which in turn makes NS2 scale even worse than NS1. Until these are changed to be dynamic, then the game will never truly be "balanced".
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    I would love if there was a way to access this data (either through a webpage that has the options, or a way to download the database).

This way we could see the detailed nuances of the statistics, like it already happens with ns2stats, but with the sample size being 100%
    angelous wrote: »
    I would love if there was a way to access this data (either through a webpage that has the options, or a way to download the database).

This way we could see the detailed nuances of the statistics, like it already happens with ns2stats, but with the sample size being 100%

This would be cool. The reason it's not public ally available is not because we don't want it to be, but because Sponitor just has no front end, nor the capacity to deal with a high volume of database requests. Perhaps one day we can get a front end put together for it!
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    I recall it took years for NS to be somewhat balanced as the fade has always been set a notch above most others IMO. It was always fun for me and my poor aim with a dual HMG and extra levels and jetpacks with unlimited fuel :)) keep up the good work UWE.