As soon as mouse is moved, framerate breaks down completely

SpaceforkzSpaceforkz Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183631Members
Hey guys!
So I bought NS2 a few weeks ago and really like the idea behind the game. BUT:
everything works fine, fluid gameplay, etc, but only as long as I don't move the mouse.
As soon as i move it, the game stutters, which makes it impossible to aim and kill ;)
This, which irritates me most, also happens when i play on the lowest resolution (640 x 480). The menu has 100+ FPS, the game has 30 but as soon as i move the mouse, it starts jerking...
I tried all sorts of performance tips and took some screenshots from the "r_stats" menu:
[img][/img]2013031400002.jpg
not sure if this worked, if not, here's the link: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/248/2013031400002.jpg/

so this is on 640 x 480, all graphics off, without moving my mouse, just randomly running around.... 60 frames
as soon as i start moving my mouse (same settings), i go down to 4 fps...
in 1920 x 1080 and high graphics, the game also has a high framerate, as long as i dont move the mouse
sorry if this kind of post already exists, I didn't find anything in the search section, so maybe im just plain stupid ;)
here are my specs:

AMD M4A79T Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD 5670 (2gb vram)

I play Battlefield on High/Ultra fluently and didn't have problems with any other game. A friend of mine has a geforce gts 450 and plays on high, without any kind of lag.
My mouse is a MX518 from logitech, the prequel to the g400. Not sure if this information is relevant but I thought, I'd better add it ;)
As you can see, it is impossible to play a shooter etc like this :(

Thanks in advance!
Spaceforkz

Comments

• revo_phxrevo_phx Join Date: 2010-10-27 Member: 74626Members
    Do you have Texture-Streaming enabled?
  • MrNihilMrNihil Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183524Members
    Go to main menu and try turning on and off Mouse acceleration and raw mouse input. If this doesnt help, try playing other games and see if same things happens, if yes - this is your system mouse settings.
  • SpaceforkzSpaceforkz Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183631Members
    edited March 2013
    changed both settings a few times, just thought of trying out ns2 with a controller, will look into that tomorrow, the problem only exists in ns, any other game runs completely fluid in highest settings
    thanks for the fast answers guyz, you are awesome :)
    edit: no controller support, tried a dfferent mouse (logitech standard 10€ mouse) problem still persists :(
  • n0_FXn0_FX Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9304Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    set the polling rate of your mouse to 125hz (not 500, not 1000).
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    It would help if we could get a video of this in action. If you cant record with fraps, use a smartphone.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I've used that mouse since day one of ns2 alpha, there's no driver or setting that should produce your symptom.

I'm thinking it's display driver related.
    When you first open the game, at the menu check the console and ensure it says rendering device is your card.
    Also are you familiar with how to use profile?
    its not the mouse, its the polling rate (driver), which can produce a large cpu spike -> short freeze when moving the mouse.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I'd be surprised if the polling rate could drop 100 fps to 4..
    But its of course worth trying
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if the polling rate could drop 100 fps to 4..
    But its of course worth trying
    Higher polling rates strain the CPU. For most GPU-limited games that doesn't matter, but in a CPU-limited games I wouldn't be surprised if it caused in-game fps issues. It would manifest itself as fps drops when using the mouse. Revert it and the problem will (likely) go away.
    edited March 2013
    okay thanks for the answers, i will record a video with fraps right now and upload it to youtube.
    how to i change my polling rate? I guess the MX518 goes with 1000hz but in the driver settings, there were no such options... (logitech setPoint)
    i can only change acceleration, speed, smart move etc
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I've used that mouse since day one of ns2 alpha, there's no driver or setting that should produce your symptom.

I'm thinking it's display driver related.
    When you first open the game, at the menu check the console and ensure it says rendering device is your card.
    Also are you familiar with how to use profile?
    not sure what you mean by profile so i guess, no ;)
    how do i check for the rendering device?

In the past two weeks I finally made the switch from mx518 to the replacement g400.. glad I did! Notable difference in the mouse buttons.
    But one thing I noticed Is that I was able to set my polling rate to 1000 in set point, something that I was previously unable to do with the mx518. (I played with registry tweaks with no real noticeable difference in the past)
    Not sure if it was the latest set point software or the new mouse.
    edited March 2013
    Yes but did you try changing the polling rate yet??

Edit: yeesh you get poor performance even when not moving the mouse.. and your waiting on gpu never drops to 0.
    To check the render device. Open the game, when sitting at the menu press ~ key, it will say render device and it should say your gpu
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    IronHorse, I love you (no homo). :D
    You just fixed my problem I had in cossacks and it is the same as op's problem - whenever I move the mouse, the game was freezing. I set it to 125Hz and it's good!
    N0_fx posted that fix above in the thread. But sure I'll still take credit for it :-D
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Actually the waiting on gpu is always 0. Does that indicate a cpu issue?

His cpu could possibly be overheating and throttling itself. I like to make sure about that.
    edited March 2013
    You're right i was looking at waiting for render thread, oops.
    IronHorse, I love you (no homo). :D
    You just fixed my problem I had in cossacks and it is the same as op's problem - whenever I move the mouse, the game was freezing. I set it to 125Hz and it's good!

glad to help ;)
    edited March 2013
    so what does that mean for me, now? as i said, all the other games work with high graphics without problems... and, how do i change the polling rate if the driver doesn't have the option to?
    remember this is on the lowest resolution, so i really dont know why the performance is so low
    the link on that page doesn't work :( i searched on other pages but many had me stay in "test mode" the whole time, i don't think thats how it should work... ;)
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The logitech mx518 just has a pollingrate of 125 wich is already added into windows as soon as it becomes installed - i know this because the mx518 is my old one. And i also know this framelaggs while moving the mouse - but anyways im not that low on fps like he is - for sure it dropps me some kind of 15-20 fps to turn the mouse also but around 100fps in the early theres nothing to complain, going worse about 60 fps and since build 240 its even much worse
    edited March 2013
    http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3364/pollingrate.jpg
    stays on about 125 while not moving, when i start moving, it goes down, i guess it's based on how fast i move the mouse? thats how it seemed
    Exoskelett wrote: »
    but anyways im not that low on fps like he is - for sure it dropps me some kind of 15-20 fps to turn the mouse also but around 100fps in the early theres nothing to complain, going worse about 60 fps and since build 240 its even much worse
    don't forget, this is on the lowest resolution possible, its hard to read the map etc
    Thanks for the answers so far, guyz, you are so awesome :D
    125 atm, without moving, while moving it goes down quite a bit
    img560.imageshack.us/img560/3364/pollingrate.jpg
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Spaceforkz wrote: »
    125 atm, without moving, while moving it goes down quite a bit
    img560.imageshack.us/img560/3364/pollingrate.jpg
    That looks normal. Looks like your mouse polling rate isn't the issue. Would you mind recording another video with the profiler on (e.g. type profile into the console)?
    sure thing, recording right now