So what do you find not fun about NS2?

Comments

• YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited March 2013
    VittuLima wrote: »
    Now that i started thinking of this most of the complaining come from alien gameplay. Skulking is so unenjoyable in NS2 that losing ur lerk or whatever feels like the end of the world if u don't have money in the bank to re-evolve right away, whereas losing a shotgun or jp etc don't really matter at all because riflemarine is still fun to play and meaningful unit in all the stages of the game. U can see the division in the "funfactor" most of the time in the readyroom where ppl try to que marines much more than aliens.

Completely agree. Especially as a lerk. You better hope you do not get 1-2 shotted by a couple of shotguns by marines. Losing your advanced lifeforms hurts the fun factor so much in the sense that you have to go back to the skulk. And yea more people queue marines because they are still fun late game. You can lose most of your res and still have A3W3 and pick up your dead team mates's weapon or afford a jetpack at the very least. Of course maybe it's just the way aliens are set up in the asymmetrical nature but skulks definitely need some work because you will be playing it most of the time so it should have some features that let them scale a bit with enjoyable movement. Though I am unsure how it would be handled. Maybe people go marine more because of the recyclable nature of the weapons and the scaling makes base units useful even if you die and lose your exo/shottie. While on aliens you lose that fade/Onos at a critical moment you are forced to go back to the skulk you loathe for most of the game.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Predictability of the games - I really like the biomass idea from one of the mods because it adds a little to the depth of the alien tech tree. I've racked up 500 hours since launch and despite my love for it, it's starting to get a little bit old now and I feel myself being less motivated to play (though tbh this has just lead to me comming more games as I've found myself getting better at that)
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Predictability of the games - I really like the biomass idea from one of the mods because it adds a little to the depth of the alien tech tree. I've racked up 500 hours since launch and despite my love for it, it's starting to get a little bit old now and I feel myself being less motivated to play (though tbh this has just lead to me comming more games as I've found myself getting better at that)

I remember how NS1 was about the tactics. It was all about the base moves, the ninja attacks, the marine expansions, the room lock downs. A player's actions were shaped around the overarching strategy used by a commander, or by the alien teams choices.
    NS2 seems to be all about the fighting. Its all about the aim tracking, knee jerk shotguns, pro-fades. A commanders strategies are entirely shaped by the individual fights between players.

This game is as different as they come in this day and age, but with every game boiling down to a COD-esque shootout, there are only so many variations of games available.

• FrustrationFrustration Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180628Members
    edited March 2013
    1.My framerate while playing(especially when gorge spit is blocking my screen)
    2.Dying as a fade or Onos, because your health was gone in half a second when 1 second ago it was going away in chunks of 30s and 40s.Basically lag.
    3.Fighting against Fades, Skulks and Lerks, who have better fps than you.Nothing to do with skill as I´ve spectated good players and they tend to shoot in a similar pattern as me.
    4.People, who don´t miss.Ever.Or don´t die when you´ve clearly done enough damage to them.
    5.Dying to Railgun exos as a skulk even though you were not near the place he was even aiming at.
    6.People, who don´t do these things(Not using FTs and JPs to kill Onos and Fades;Going without a welder help with an exo)
    7.People, who do these things(Using the Railgun exo to destroy buildings and fail to hit lifeforms;Having every single guy at the start of the game build buildings, so all RTs get taken;Not noticing obvious attacks on the minimap and not helping them;Not going to reinforce a place where only 1 guy is protecting;Think JPs and Shotguns make then invincible:Overusing Railgun exo, so there is not enough fire power to destroy anything)
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    Lack of strategic options for both races, Kharaa could do with a fourth tree that involves focus, and marines need more weapons/tools from their armory and robotics factory, so many unexplored possibilities
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    I find it not fun when all servers are either full or empty. Even worse is that all the servers that aren't empty are 24 players. Blech. Should be no higher than 10v10, and 8v8 is really the best.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Exos. The chaingun is very messy on your view, they really disconnect you from your team (beacon etc) and the cost gap is too high/too risky.

They are cool, but they need to be closer to the heavy armour and HMG in NS1 that was a cheap and not so risky option to jetpacks.

Also, as many have mentioned, there are traits and paths missing for aliens still. The paths are not as linear as they used to be, but the options need to be more interesting. Where did hypermutation, etc, go for example?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    1. Performance
    2. Lack of meaningful strategic choices (i.e not a whole lot of depth to khamm, marines always rushing PG first, shitty sentries, crappy shade tech, over-importance of second hive, etc)
    3. Early game is incredibly short, early skulk vs marine stage is by far the most enjoyable aspect of the game but it only lasts a few minutes where as in ns 1 it could last much longer
    4. Late game units (exos and onos in particular) feel pretty bland, very little skill involved
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    -Concede needs a rework. Everyone just gives up way too early.

Part of the fun of NS1 was the way map control could shift back and forth with evenly matched teams and now concede allows a team to just give up instead of fighting for a comback and also makes winning a round anti-climactic.

-Map makers not properly labeling the minimap to indicate what routes are actually passable in a map!

"Oh gee, this route doesn't go through.....it sure does look like it on the minimap! I guess I'm not going to make it to the hive in time....."

-Waiting for the alien Khamm to research the second ability for your favorite lifeform that you have the res saved up for.

This is exactly opposite of NS1. In NS2 Marines were given the ability to buy thier own weapons because it was decided that this game mechanic was more fun, but yet now alien have to wait for their weapon tech to be granted to them by the Khamm, when in NS1 it was granted with a second hive automatically.

A few minor things that bother me:

-I agree marine rifle sounds need a rework. It should thump more, rattle less.. Or heck just give us the old HMG sound..

-The music when you win a round sounds way too much like "Unreal Tournament 99" music to me. I don't know why this bothers me, except maybe being scarred by all the awful server sounds that were modded into NS1. "DOMINATING!"....BLEH!

-The Marine HUD armour and weapons upgade level icons don't work well. At least the chevrons should get colored in with blue or something when you go up a level. Right now they are just empty black chevrons, and it's not as apparent what level you've got.

-No relocate. could it be workable to give us a "Mobile Command Station" like in NS1 as another tech choice in addition to the static tech point ones? Less HP, droppable, only 1 at a time, and can support 2 ips without a power node? I know this probably wouldn't work, but it'd be nice. It would be a counter part to the alien Khamms shift ability.

-Why oh why can't I evolve in vents anymore???????

-Replace all in game references to "Aliens" with "Khaara", or however that is spelled. Keep the game design in line with the lore basically.

• DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    -Performance
    -Volatility of the first 4 minutes and how it can dictate the winner really early
    -Being caught by an alien when killing cysts, dealing with power nodes

• VittuLimaVittuLima Join Date: 2012-12-25 Member: 176227Members
    Apreche2 wrote: »
    I find it not fun when all servers are either full or empty. Even worse is that all the servers that aren't empty are 24 players. Blech. Should be no higher than 10v10, and 8v8 is really the best.

12vs12 is the best. But that's a matter of taste. What, u want to force ppl play 8v8 because that's how YOU like to play it?

I dislike ppl complaining about big servers in this game. Nobody is forcing ppl to play on them so quit QQ.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pub players that tell me mines are terrible because its "not worth 5 res to kill a skulk". Then they save all of their res hoping to get an exo before we are overrun by the aliens that are playing as a team.

Oh and the current lack of a skill based movement system (at least for the aliens).
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    My main issue, apart from performance, would be the general pace of the game. It's too much of a race for my taste. I feel like there's little time to make meaningful strategic choices, and no room for error. Games that only last 10-15 min are not that fulfilling.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Dying to people I shouldn't be due to performance.

lack of skillful marine movement.

power nodes.

lack of max arc limit

new gorge spit speed

gorge's lack of bunnyhop. take slide away or change it into an attack in favor? (latter please)
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    - The snowballing in many of the games I played. When you can tell after 5 minutes that one team will lose, but you have to play it out for 10 - 20 minutes. The game needs more ways for comebacks. Or a type of "Upkeep" that slow down the res-income of a team that holds most of the map. It should not be a punishment for the team with more map-control but it also shouldn't guaranty a win when you have the resource-advantage for the first 5 minutes of the game. (Maybe number of cysts / active powernodes could decrease your res-income.)

- People that whine over performance but only play on 24player servers. Even worse, when they ignore tips to help find the cause of their bad performance, but keep crying how bad everything is.

- Mostly strict tech-paths you need to follow or you will set your team on a disadvantage. For example an early robot factory is nearly never useful. It's just a trap while it should be a viable strategy.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sniper shotguns.

I hate it when you're running out of a little shuffle, still have quite a bit of HP, and some marine shoots you with a shotgun from the other side of the room, killing you.

I also find it INCREDIBLY annoying getting killed while in mid-blink. Fades should be invulnerable while they are using Blink. You can barely get in to hit anything if a marine starts shooting at you as soon as you step in through the door.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Being killed next to a Harvester when it only needs like two more shots to die. Why does this happen so often?

Because the commander has spent all the res on phase gates instead of that W1 that would have given you the kill.

Sorry, I just had to.

• KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    menohack wrote: »
    ...On top of all that, hives cost 15 more res than command stations and take significantly longer to be built, even with a gorge speeding them up. Overall it just feel like if marines are defending they will eventually win but if aliens are defending they will eventually lose.

I would like to have a discussion about how this is fair. There must be some mechanic I'm missing that makes aliens more of a threat. Compared to ns1 marines have significantly more mobility with sprint, making them as fast as skulks.

Since this thread is not supposed to be for discussion, I'll just say this much because you asked: alien comm can freely expand at multiple fronts at the same time without thinning out his forces, while marine comm has to detach some of his troops for building. Hence alien structures take longer to build. At least that's how I figured it.
    Neoken wrote: »
    My main issue, apart from performance, would be the general pace of the game. It's too much of a race for my taste. I feel like there's little time to make meaningful strategic choices, and no room for error. Games that only last 10-15 min are not that fulfilling.

This! 1000x.

A comm without a mic.

Ppl waiting around in the RR.

Cost/benefit of FT and GL

And getting stuck as a Fade or Onos can be really annoying.
  • DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited March 2013
    * Random stuff on ceilings blocking my fade/lerk/jp. ( the cables near ventilation is a stand out culprit, random chains on ceilings )
    * Powernodes
    Other little annoyances that nags me during a whole match:
    * Placing mines is not really consistent ( vent between Server and Mezzanine )
    * Having to select always the same upgrades when evolving ( pre select them please...)
    * Being randomly displaced when egging ( most notably when egging near hive, you can be displaced by 2-3m)
    edited March 2013
    Shaker wrote: »
    Pub players that tell me mines are terrible because its "not worth 5 res to kill a skulk".

I would be inclined to agree with them. Considering that the average pub game is won with pRes (Exo/JP+SG/Fade/Onos), compared to the average competitive game which is won with tRes (predominantly upgrades and map control).

Mines in a competitive game help the marines to maintain control over their territory against aggressively rushing skulks. Pub players tend not to rush aggressively, nor in a coordinated manner. To boot, pub marines are typically far more spread out (no coordination again) and will typically create a physical presence in an area they shouldn't be in to begin with.

TL:DR Killing a competitive skulk is worth 5 res, killing a pub skulk probably isn't, in my opinion.

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    If you want to know want people find 'not fun' in this game, go to the ready room, see how everyone waits for someone else to fill the empty slot on the alien side. Say there are 18 player slots. You'll see 4 players on marines, 3 on aliens, and up to 11 players in the ready room waiting in the marine bay. The more clan players the marines have the more players you'll find waiting to join them. It is miserable to lose in this game because all of the fun things are taken off you one by one.

Then you're left as the basic alien life form.

The skulk doesn't travel much faster than a marine (unless you're happy to spend days perfecting whatever wall jump strategy works). Its footsteps sound like a pneumatic drill, echoing through all the rooms like a wall hack for your enemies. Or you can literally crawl through the levels to be silent. Either way, you're still too big to hide usefully in most areas of the map. Whatever net code/lag/server tick things are going on, you'll find where you think you are isn't where you actually are. You think you're inside a vent but your skulk's front legs are poking out. Think you're about to bite a marine? Too late you're dead, and you weren't in bite range anyway. Even if that's what you saw.
  • Ra1nRa1n Join Date: 2004-02-22 Member: 26798Members
    the faster pace, it gives very little room for mistakes at least in my opinion. but maybe i'm just getting old.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    Pub players that tell me mines are terrible because its "not worth 5 res to kill a skulk". Then they save all of their res hoping to get an exo before we are overrun by the aliens that are playing as a team.

Oh and the current lack of a skill based movement system (at least for the aliens).

I kill many more than just one skulk with any given shotgun I purchase. I leave the mines for other people to drop so I don't have to waste my time, especially when I feel like my commander won't care enough to drop me shotguns.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    The bit where 90% of the stuff in the game is stuff you can't have because it's too expensive, or stuff you can't use in case you lose it and you won't be able to afford another one.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    |strofix| wrote: »
    Pub players that tell me mines are terrible because its "not worth 5 res to kill a skulk".

I would be inclined to agree with them. Considering that the average pub game is won with pRes (Exo/JP+SG/Fade/Onos), compared to the average competitive game which is won with tRes (predominantly upgrades and map control).

Mines in a competitive game help the marines to maintain control over their territory against aggressively rushing skulks. Pub players tend not to rush aggressively, nor in a coordinated manner. To boot, pub marines are typically far more spread out (no coordination again) and will typically create a physical presence in an area they shouldn't be in to begin with.

TL:DR Killing a competitive skulk is worth 5 res, killing a pub skulk probably isn't, in my opinion.

It's about saving a phasegate while making a push and not having to pull back to respond, not about getting a skulk kill. Mines are more valuable offensively in competitive matches (placed around forward pushes w/ armory/PG) but they are invaluable as defensive tools in public servers.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members

It's about saving a phasegate while making a push and not having to pull back to respond, not about getting a skulk kill. Mines are more valuable offensively in competitive matches (placed around forward pushes w/ armory/PG) but they are invaluable as defensive tools in public servers.

The amount of times I've been looking at the map seen 1 or 2 red dots run into a currently empty base and start on the mic "guys incoming at data core, can someone * Ibasa killed SkulkA with Mine, Ibasa killed SkulkB with Mine *... never mind guys."
  • WoollySammothWoollySammoth Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183062Members
    - Performance. Although, I don't see this getting better for me until I get better hardware. :p
    - Short games.
    - Lack of game styles.
    Emoo wrote: »

The amount of times I've been looking at the map seen 1 or 2 red dots run into a currently empty base and start on the mic "guys incoming at data core, can someone * Ibasa killed SkulkA with Mine, Ibasa killed SkulkB with Mine *... never mind guys."

Its not about what it kills. Its about what you can get away with without spending resources.

If you didn't need the mines, and someone could have phased back, then that is obviously the preferable solution. Just one pack of mines can set back your exo train by 2 or 3 minutes. If you plan on winning by lights/arcs/jetpacks then sure, it doesn't really make a difference. Exos need to come out asap though.
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    1)Alien commander is a bit lacking in abilities.
    2)Early game is way too important.Obviesly having a good start should help you,but 90% of the games a pretty much decided within the first 3-5 mins.There is not enought of possibility for a come back.
    3)A slight lack of enought equipment and variety.I would really like to see stuff like sniper rifle,SMG and a bunch of weapons for the EXOs to be added to the game.Improving the variety for alien life form abilities would be nice aswell.

PS:I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE EXOS,dunno why you guys complain about them :D
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013

I remember how NS1 was about the tactics. It was all about the base moves, the ninja attacks, the marine expansions, the room lock downs. A player's actions were shaped around the overarching strategy used by a commander, or by the alien teams choices.
    NS2 seems to be all about the fighting. Its all about the aim tracking, knee jerk shotguns, pro-fades. A commanders strategies are entirely shaped by the individual fights between players.

This game is as different as they come in this day and age, but with every game boiling down to a COD-esque shootout, there are only so many variations of games available.

I'm curious.

Did you actually play NS1? I don't see how most of the tactics you mentioned are not also present in NS2.

'base moves' = what? Relocations? While I agree that NS1 style relocations were fun and played a significant role in marine victories, it could get ridiculously hard to remove a marine base from places like the catwalk above Viaduct (or Red Room), or the number 1 worst spot - Generator, with #2 worst spot being Cargo (I forget the map names, but I remember the hive locations). This typically ended up with a marine win most of the time, due to RFK leading up to a mass HA HMG train.

'ninja attacks' = what? Ninja bile gorge? Ninja base rush? Actual Japanese ninjas?

'marine expansions' = too vague, explain please.

'room lockdowns' = this doesn't ALREADY happen in NS2?