good bye ns2

Comments

• CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    $5 says this guy won't last a day and will come crawling back from Leeches of Legend or whatever the hell kids are playing these days.

I'd take that. His post seems clear to me - he enjoys a certain type of game, and NS2 isn't it. Which is fine, on both counts.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • FultreFultre Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183533Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    The movement metrics of GoldSRC engine are yet to be outdone by any modern engine.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Arkahm719 wrote: »
    He made alot of constructive points headline wasnt thought out but thats about it.

"It simply isn't fun", "the gameplay feels like work", the gunplay "feels completely off", etc etc I could go on. Basically in his eyes every single thing about the game is bad. You already said you agree with him, but to the people who don't - who as you said are the ones he should be making his case to if indeed his motives are pure - his post is extremely inflammatory. When someone pisses you off it's human nature to not want to concede a single point, even if they might be right about some things.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    I wonder how he liked NS1 so much if NS2 feels so off. Memories of the "good old days" much?

I agree with some of the criticisms though - but the game feels pretty fun/solid to me, especially with good teamwork and com.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    briatx wrote: »
    Totally wrong on atmosphere. This game oozes it.

I'd like to disagree, the game looks and sounds atmospheric, but beyond that you're only looking at the game world and not actually interacting with it.

Of course that's my ns1 bias speaking. With it's readily available goldsrc map features that allowed great diversity with how the map felt and played. Features such as moving platforms, weldable vents, opening passageways via welding, water, and doors that required interaction(great ambush scenarios).

I'm a little disappointed that uwe decided to remove map interaction in their game worlds, rather than embrace it. It makes the game feel less of a functioning facility and more like a ready-made battlefield.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    geez I wish I could upvote your post so much

Off-topic images and video are not desired. - Angelusz
    http://i.imgur.com/ZpRfS.gif
  • SoulfighterSoulfighter Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167432Members
    schkorpio wrote: »
    -atmosphere
    What atmosphere? The game feels like quake 3 / TF2 with an marines vs aliens skin. those 2 games have ZERO atmosphere btw. They might be great tournament games but they are soulless.

tf2, no atmosphere, soulless

That is the most stupid thing i have ever read on this forum, and i have read a lot of stupid things. That alone says that you don't have the ability to judge video games even though you randomly stumbled upon a couple of good points

• KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    We have both been around NS since 2003 and there has been alot of changes since than. Personally I love NS2 but think it still needs several changes to make it balanced.

All the best schkorpio.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I think no sane person will say that NS2 is as good as NS1.

But the simle truth is, it still is the best FPS multiplayer game out there.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited March 2013
    Edit: i overread this part...
    -atmosphere
    What atmosphere? The game feels like quake 3 / TF2 with an marines vs aliens skin. those 2 games have ZERO atmosphere btw. They might be great tournament games but they are soulless.
    Are you kidding me?
    Soulless? Ns2 has much amount of atmosphere...what the heck you are so mad about? Did someone pwned you in the game to much?

Old:
    *bla bla* (for text watch post #1)
    I really understand your point, but to be honest...the game is MODDABLE, if you don't like something, change the game you like and release a mod.
    Ns1 was a great mod. but it is more the memories which are good, i mean i try the old game and it plays "old" not in a good way...
    It's like watching a movie you have great memories about, because you watch it in your childhood but then you notice "hey its crap".
    Not that i would say ns1 is crap, no way, it is still great but it has old "very very very³³ known gameplay, which make it old and not exciting anymore.
    I like Ns2 has new features and it can be fun.
    Specially if your team KNOW what to do, yesterday i had my second match with a bunch of rookies and after a while it was fun too, i mean not as fun as with good players, but fun.
    The game isn't done (or is it?????) i mean they showed us the onos breaking through a door and stuff, they working on the game (i hope so, because they announced us the onos that way...).
    But i like your courage to say that, users of today are known for attacking and insulting people who say what they think...
    So my hint is, mod the game the way you like and release it as a mod., if people will use it and play, you will see if its really better.
    The Ns2 classic mod for example, has a totaly new movement system for the skulks and on.
    Don't give up, you pay money for the game and its not made by gearbox, so it can be better and better...not like aliens colonial marines which is trash, trash and yes T R A S H!
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    Sorry man, but it seems NS2 is just not what are looking for. To me this game is not at all about "feeling badass", but rather about cooperating with your team and enduring hardship to accomplish victory. And this cooperation and struggle is the true source of the great feelings I get from playing NS2. Perhaps you should simply consider taking a break from the game for some time if you grow tired of it.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    you are SOOO right, i am still waiting for them pumping up the performance to at least meet the goldsource... a game which is basically built on quake1 ..... ffs max, fuck the visuals, bring us quality first!

thats what makes carmack so great, first of all he wents for 60fps at least, in every situation! even on an iphone!
    then make the visuals work out at that performance... but as you are on a implement first, fix later strategy...
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    Zek wrote: »
    what do you do when you buy something thats broken? just deal or get it fixed or money back? people complain because they paid good money for this game and want it to be fun

This is just a self-justification, people complain because it's cathartic. If they really cared about improving the game they would provide level-headed feedback in a constructive tone. Sensationalist "I'm quitting forever" headlines just undermine the possibility of anyone taking them seriously except those who already agree.
    well, its somewhat right what you said, i wont agree with the QQ in the thread, but i agree with the reasons he mentioned.
    and those are more important than his QQ.
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not going to respond individually to the string of people bashing the OP. Most of the people dissing the OP are nobodies I've never even heard of anyway, so at that point their opinions are null and void. Beyond that, his post was thoughtful, structured well and not in the least inflammatory. The team should be concerned because, for every player that bothers to register an account, discuss on these forums, and then up and quit, there's at least a dozen that quit silently.

This weekend alone so far I've talked to 10 or 11 rookies, who where asking questions, wanted help, and were trying. They got frustrated over things like camo not being actually invisible, not understanding why certain things weren't allowed, why the game ran so utterly poorly on their high end machine. Of those 10, at least half told me they'd be uninstalling because it just wasn't worth it to them.

This is DEEPLY CONCERNING.

It's even more concerning that there are only 500 servers for a newly launched game that has already had a major expansion.

SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH NS2

I theorize that the core issue is a design flaw in the game itself and the unwillingness by the development team to give the public what they want and instead insist on giving us a version of the game approved by themselves and a select set of individuals.

Your comment made me think about one thing. Rookies. I know another thread mentioning that the challenge is back again for skulk players (or all around every creatures), but to begin with the challenge were always there. For a new player, that for example bought the game today, might find it hard to even understand the gameplay, not going rookie server thinking "he is to cool to play rookie". I don't know. This probably have a home in another thread but the new players have hardship, and it concerns me if we are only focusing on the people that know how to play or competative players.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    seems someone wants more of the same mundane repetitive COD, BF3 experience of just shooting people just to get a good K:D ratio. Seems like he'd rather be that team that has all the flags, tanks, planes, weapons, etc and thinks its fun to camp the other team as they spawn to their deaths.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    seems someone wants more of the same mundane repetitive COD, BF3 experience of just shooting people just to get a good K:D ratio. Seems like he'd rather be that team that has all the flags, tanks, planes, weapons, etc and thinks its fun to camp the other team as they spawn to their deaths.

I have no idea where you discerned that from the OP, and frankly I think you may be trolling. Asking for the game to be fun is not akin to asking for a COD or BF3 experience. Unless you are infering on your own that these games are an example of fun, because you feel they are, therefore maybe you'd like to go play them instead?
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    I'm not going to respond individually to the string of people bashing the OP. Most of the people dissing the OP are nobodies I've never even heard of anyway, so at that point their opinions are null and void. Beyond that, his post was thoughtful, structured well and not in the least inflammatory. The team should be concerned because, for every player that bothers to register an account, discuss on these forums, and then up and quit, there's at least a dozen that quit silently.

This weekend alone so far I've talked to 10 or 11 rookies, who where asking questions, wanted help, and were trying. They got frustrated over things like camo not being actually invisible, not understanding why certain things weren't allowed, why the game ran so utterly poorly on their high end machine. Of those 10, at least half told me they'd be uninstalling because it just wasn't worth it to them.

This is DEEPLY CONCERNING.

It's even more concerning that there are only 500 servers for a newly launched game that has already had a major expansion.

SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH NS2

I theorize that the core issue is a design flaw in the game itself and the unwillingness by the development team to give the public what they want and instead insist on giving us a version of the game approved by themselves and a select set of individuals.

A number of rookies were getting frustrated in the games I played. Gave some brief explanations and guided some new comms. Many we're frustrated with being destroyed as aliens.

I think it's best to tell new players to go Marine. There were a lot of changes with this patch.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Maybe. Frankly I'm tired of doing free damage control for UWE. NS is dead, and whatever this thing is that replaced it, really isn't worth the time I invest in it as far as helping new players, posting feedback and commentary, and attempting reasonable discourse regarding changes. I'm very near the point Skopio is. That said, I really don't mind the changes so much, just the reason they keep happening.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I bought NS2 mainly to repay the developers for NS1. I even convinced 3 of my friends to buy NS2.

None of those three friends played NS2 for more than 5 hours. They have all given up on the game.

The learning curve is high. System requirements are very high. The gameplay is muddy.

I love the NS universe. I love the sights and sounds. I love the character and structure designs and animations.

Who knows what the future will hold. Hopefully UWE will optimize the engine and refine the gameplay before the base of players shrivels up.

There's so much "potential" with this franchise. I hope it will be realized.

It sucks to see shkorpio go. Hopefully he'll cool off and come back.

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited March 2013
    Lol at all you fanboys. You are all missing the point, its not that ns2 is bad. Its not, it is a good game by all standards. Its just that as far as many ppl are concerned ns1 was in many regards better, and seeing the franchise take a step back is just plain unpleasant.

As for why ns2 is more popular, well that most likely has to do with the era of its release and the publicity of an actual game rather than a mod. Oh yeah and steam.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    The rifle feels like a pea shooter, I can't tell if I'm hitting things despite the crosshair hit marker.
    I think this is true, and it's the result of two things. A wimpy sound effect, and wimpy hit effects. Fix those two and you wouldn't have to change anything else about the weapon to make it feel great. I'd like to see the rifle get a punchier sound effect with weapon upgrades.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I played NS1 back in the day, ran a very well populated server, and loved the game.

I played NS1 before NS2 came out (because I was too tight to a) become a constie and b) pay up front for NS2 alpha, which I am attempting to redress by buying copies of NS2 for my steam friends who don't own in... 1 copy bought and gifted tonight).

I was really quite disappointed by many things in NS1 when I returned to it. It was a great game, hell in gameplay turns it still is a great game. But I WAS looking at it through rose-tinted spectacles, and it actually took several weeks of playing it for me to realise the things I loved about NS1 were great, but not unreachably great.

I honestly believe that NS2 has improved on NS1. It's not the same game, and there are still performance issues, but through all of that, it is a great game in all aspects. People who think NS1 was the better game fall into 2 categories: people who think it but haven't played NS1 for years, and people who think it and play NS1 still. The second category are perfectly entitled to their opinion, and can shout it loudly from the rooftops, as it's what they believe based on their experiences. If you haven't played NS1 for a number of years, you really should. NS2 has potentially MORE strategic depth, which is the main gripe I hear about.

Just try it. Try it for long enough to get past the nostalgia. It's great, but NS2 is better - that's MY personal opinion, based on the evidence of weeks of NS1 prior to playing NS2.

Roo
  • GnubboloGnubbolo Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62793Members
    edited March 2013
    I don't want NS2 to be NS1, but I do want it to bring me the same emotions, the tension of building a phase gate just outside of a hive, then having an intense battle where you tried to get up seige turrets before you were overwhelmed by the aliens.

this is NS1, like CS, and Cod1 Cod2, and the first Medal of Honor..
    the emotion to place the bomb, yes i agree
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    He made alot of constructive points headline wasnt thought out but thats about it.

I read it as "This should have been NS1 on a newer engine" for the most part. I understand some of the complaints so I'm not trying to downplay his post, but it's been a long time since I played NS1 so maybe that's why I don't mind most of the changes.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
  • zeqzeq Join Date: 2012-02-14 Member: 145493Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    I think I have this impression because death seems so trivial and common.
    I feel like you and I are playing a vastly different game then. Deaths are fairly common, but not trivial, and the tense moments certainly still exist. Have you never had a moment when you are the last surviving marine defending an outpost as the aliens begin to swarm in, the very fate of you team depending solely on your ability to survive and defend long enough for your teammates to reinforce and rebuild? And very little beats sneaking into a alien base alone to set up a ninja pg, silence broken by moments of terror when the skittering of skulks flood in. Or when you are travelling as a squad and then one of your mates from behind gives a brief scream, alerting you of an ambush. Furthermore Exos and Onos are often a one off thing, where once someone gets them, their ability to destroy enemy encampments without dying is the determinant to the outcome of the game. In addition the maps in this game are very well designed, and I occasionally find new areas I can take advantage of, and then it becomes a race to do so before I am found out. I have had numerous unique moments within a single game that are the tense and exciting, and have made me love this game. This game actually has massive stealth potential, for both aliens and marines, and taking advantage of that makes the game incredibly fun in my opinion. My enjoyment of the game has also increased since I have been able to limit conceding to one team having a massive advantage that can't be overcome but not good enough to finish it (usually after a half hour of one team being stuck on one base). Because I have been able to convince fewer concedes, I have played a lot more miraculous comebacks or glorious last stands.