Anyone finding heavy Marine win bias?

SchupacSchupac Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183159Members
Post patch, I'm 7 games in across 3 servers. So far 7 marine wins. I've played aliens 5 times and marines 2. The aliens seem completely unable to take a hit. As I understand it Marines got some improvements to their tracking in the last patch, but it's seeming far too easy to kill skulks as a marine and almost impossible to survive any normal confrontation as a skulk.

As a marine, I am now walking around fearlessly, confident I can gun down a skulk probably before they even bite me. As a skulk, I am finding it impossible to get a kill without giving tricky ambushes or having a 2:1 numbers advantage. This is something that might be solved later in the game, but in every game I've played so far the marines are significantly ahead by the 5 minute mark. The aliens can't even get to end game tech to see how Onos' will compete. When I see groups of 4-5 skulks facing off against 4-5 marines, it's rare for the aliens to get more than 1 kill.

Normally I'd assume it's me not adjusting, but on all the server's I've played on, the game chats are full of players are complaining about the balance. I'm having trouble thinking of how the aliens are supposed to be adjusting - should we be going 30-40% gorge and using those little buggers to armor up? Should the aliens now play conservative and rush evolves? Or is the balance just a messed up post patch? I just gave up for the night because it was so consistently lopsided it wasn't fun. Feeling very frustrated right now.

Comments

• NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited March 2013
    Skulks feel a bit slower now. In early game, wall jumping (or ambushing, as you said) is now pretty much mandatory in order to engage marines. I had about five skulks come after me one by one in Nanogrid and only one managed to get in melee range. Only one of them felt the need to wall jump.

I still do well as a skulk, although the movement changes make the dance of death a bit frustrating now. People just need to practice skulking more in general. It's still similar to before: learn how to wall jump, walk if you think marines are within hearing distance, try to flank using alternate routes, try to track accurately vs juking marines, move in small packs if you don't feel confident alone, etc.

Concerning win ratios, marines do seem to win more often lately. I partly attribute this to the fact that most alien players want to try out the new gorge features. Earlier, there were about five battle gorges on my team who mostly used babblers to attack instead of shielding the offense-oriented classes. Khamms prioritized gorge tunnels over some essential upgrades and the tunnels weren't used to great effect either. I'd give it a week or two before win ratios balance out again. By then, I hope alien players will learn to make better use of the new features or the excitement will die down and aliens will play the game in earnest.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the decreased speed is really annoying when you're fighting jetpackers.
  • LunosLunos Join Date: 2009-08-18 Member: 68518Members
    Hm I was demolishing marines earlier as a skulk. Honestly if they nerfed something about the skulk I didn't feel it.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Schupac:

Most people are playing around with the new toys

Getting gorge tunnels immediately is a big mistake and too many gorges on a team is also a recipe for disaster

My guess is marines are winning because they are facing 1/2 the aggression and aren't seeing many advanced lifeforms

As a side note; Marine build order didn't change at all so there's nothing to screw up
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Expect some pretty bad matches as aliens all go gorges/babblers/gorge tunnels. Same thing happened when exos (everybody buy an exo; wait, whose gonna repair them) and onos were released. It will settle once people get used to the new changes.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    It is too early to call anything yet, I have had some complete alien lockouts and I have also won as marines coming back from a game I thought we were sure to lose.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited March 2013
    Schupac wrote: »
    . As a skulk, I am finding it impossible to get a kill without giving tricky ambushes or having a 2:1 numbers advantage.
    That's the way it is supposed to be. In fact a skilled marine should have no problem taking out 2 skulks who engage him head on. Unupgraded skulks are ambushers. They need celerity, carapace and leap to do head on attacks vs marines.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    ive seen marines win 5-1... and it was a total raping... basically every marine waited for railgun to end it
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    bERt0r wrote: »
    . As a skulk, I am finding it impossible to get a kill without giving tricky ambushes or having a 2:1 numbers advantage.
    That's the way it is supposed to be. In fact a skilled marine should have no problem taking out 2 skulks who engage him head on. Unupgraded skulks are ambushers. They need celerity, carapace and leap to do head on attacks vs marines.

I second this notion. Its time aliens finaly had to play how they are designed to, as Kharaa and not Zerg.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    edited March 2013
    Benson wrote: »

I second this notion. Its time aliens finaly had to play how they are designed to, as Kharaa and not Zerg.

they never were "zerg"-like. play ns1 b4 u post. this patch is a complete unbalance that the devs and PTers have worked with for a while.... which is sad, it only took 10 min for ppl to find immediate faults.
  • agallochagalloch Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168650Members
    Sampson wrote: »
    Benson wrote: »

they never were "zerg"-like. play ns1 b4 u post. this patch is a complete unbalance that the devs and PTers have worked with for a while.... which is sad, it only took 10 min for ppl to find immediate faults.

I'm with you on that one. It's absurd that aliens are struggling with their one main advantage: mobility. Now, marines out run them? Come on.

• GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, finally maybe this will help marines offset the stronger alien economic model by improving their marine-vs-skulk encounters.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    None, if it wasn't for the visual changes and if you didn't tell me I wouldn't have known there was a new patch, aliens still rolling every game easily in AusNS and certainly winning plenty the marines should have been able to close out.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I've only played a couple games, but it's possible they may have make headway on hit registration. That was one big monkey, and if that is off marines backs then it could certainly change games. Skulks do feel different, but no one seems to be able to put their finger on it.

Right now there are loads of new players and lots of people learning the game. Expect lopsided games for a few weeks before it settles down.
  • john_wesleyjohn_wesley Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183445Members
    New players and gorge spam is going to hurt the alien win rate.

As for the changes to skulk movement- it seems in line with how skulks should be played, using hit and run/ ambush tactics. If a marine has a clear los on you at distance you should expect to be dead
  • Kei-chanKei-chan Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180898Members
    Still have yet to see an alien victory since the patch, and I've been playing since it launched.

The changes to skulk movement are a slap in the face to alien players, and were totally unnecessary. I think I'm done with NS2 now until they do something about this, because it's simply no fun anymore to be at the receiving end of a constant marine pounding.
  • briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    Kei-chan wrote: »
    Still have yet to see an alien victory since the patch, and I've been playing since it launched.

The changes to skulk movement are a slap in the face to alien players, and were totally unnecessary. I think I'm done with NS2 now until they do something about this, because it's simply no fun anymore to be at the receiving end of a constant marine pounding.

Yeah, well welcome to last month++ for marines.

It does feel like the balance has shifted. But maybe the Aliens were just spoiled. We'll see.

• bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Ha savant, I beat you by 10 minutes: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2085489/#Comment_2085489
    Altough you use a much friendlier tone :)
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    Oh noes! Things changed! Now the boring, repetitive stratagies i spent a day memorizing don't work any more! I want my games never to change dammit! I demand a refund!
  • Kei-chanKei-chan Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180898Members
    Cue the marine defense force, right on time.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NSstats - up to this point - indicates otherwise.
    Give it a few weeks to really see how it pans out.
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    edited March 2013
    You could do this variants pre-patch (but most marine commanders don't because they're morons who rush phase gates), but doing a 6 minute (5:50 usually) exo rush is easily doable. So long as your marine team is holding 4 RTs, you can run a train of 10+ railgun exos + macs to the other base when most average alien teams don't even have carapace yet. It's hilarious, and 99% of alien teams aren't going to have the skill to stop it.

edit:

For reference, you simply skip out on early obs/phase gates, and do bare minimal direction of your pub marines to ensure they build RTs. So long as you start your advanced armory early enough, it's self explanatory how to have armor 1 + exos out at 6:00.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    I was playing with you earlier Kei-chan (Oni/Gorge Carlin) Those matches were brutal. The aliens won two games, one of them oddly had half the team as gorge and the other game I think was just a good dose of team stacking.

The first three games I played I did feel some dicking around but as a whole it did feel like people were really trying.

Perhaps it has something to do with server size. Maybe they didn't balance with 24 in mind? Perhaps everyone posting should comment on server size/skill levels/n00b content and any other variables so we can have a more clear picture of what's actually going on.
  • GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    0ni wrote: »
    Maybe they didn't balance with 24 in mind? Perhaps everyone posting should comment on server size/skill levels/n00b content and any other variables so we can have a more clear picture of what's actually going on.

Good point! Just out of interest, what server size do they test with?

• _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    16 is the default size. 24 is known to be imbalanced.

I prefer 18 because pub servers are not full all the time.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Pretty much every game I have played has had too many early gorges. Pre-bile gorges aren't really worth their cost and are definitely not worth giving up a skulk for. This is certainly having a larger impact on the results of games than the balance changes and amplifies the weaker alien earlygame from skulks now being significantly easier to kill, which explains the increased marine winrate. When people stop messing around with babblers then we will see if marines are still winning more than aliens.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hamlet wrote: »
    NSstats - up to this point - indicates otherwise.
    Give it a few weeks to really see how it pans out.

ns2 stats doesnt seem to be working properly atm, is it for you?
  • SoundFXSoundFX Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20048Members
    As I noted in the other post, the ease of use and familiarity of the marine point of view compared to the difficulty and different mental approach of the aliens is, in my opinion, the main factor in victories. Skulks might have something wrong with them (I didn't notice in my few games) but its mostly the players playing them. I played marines once and I looked like Fana out there.
  • randomroperandomrope Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 180026Members
    Schupac:

Most people are playing around with the new toys

Getting gorge tunnels immediately is a big mistake and too many gorges on a team is also a recipe for disaster

My guess is marines are winning because they are facing 1/2 the aggression and aren't seeing many advanced lifeforms

Agreed. I walked into Shipping from Logistics on Tram and 4 skulks were just standing still mezmerized by the 9 rail guns that were blasting into the place. Exo's weren't even moving. I literally walked up behind them and 1 shot blasted all 4. It was silly.

I don't think there is a balance issue yet. People are just playing. Aliens were actually letting marines go into the gorge tunnels while the exo's would just wipe the hive.

It will get serious again over the weekend I expect. But it is ridiculous how fast you can get a team of 10 railguns and not need a welder. Exo's are so fast now