Show me the worst game you've ever been in

yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
This pub started off pretty well, had three hives pretty quickly. As the game unfolded however it became increasingly obvious things weren't looking too good on our side. Just a total disconnect from working as a team, higher life forms dying left & right...even mom managed to do well!

This game was painful to command.

I give you the worst game I have ever seen (thus far)
GkBc0Rs.jpg?1

Comments

• CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Wow, Im tempted to make a notepad and type their names in just so I can avoid being on their team. 3:35. LOL

I had an awful game yesterday too. I was comming the marines on Veil, and we had a two hive lockdown and 8 res nodes, and were actively camping the aliens at sub. Within 10 minutes, half the good shots on the team happened to leave the game, the aliens took cargo, and rolled nano. The noobies left over jumped in exos and spent their time chasing skulks and killing cysts. I left before the end came.
  • SkackySkacky Join Date: 2005-06-05 Member: 53189Members
    edited February 2013
    I had a terrible game this morning on Summit. I was playing on the Marine team and my mates thought it was a great idea to just chill in Data Core/Atrium and do nothing else. Our commander was trying to get them to go to Flight since a Hive was just dropped there, but I was the only one going to Flight. The only one. No need to say we lost that game quite quickly.
  • semihandysemihandy Florida Join Date: 2012-05-24 Member: 152537Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Silver
    Sounds like every pub, ever.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    That's more a matter of team stacking than anything.

Unless all those really good players went random, or all the noobs stacked aliens or something.
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    Wow, Im tempted to make a notepad and type their names in just so I can avoid being on their team. 3:35. LOL

I had an awful game yesterday too. I was comming the marines on Veil, and we had a two hive lockdown and 8 res nodes, and were actively camping the aliens at sub. Within 10 minutes, half the good shots on the team happened to leave the game, the aliens took cargo, and rolled nano. The noobies left over jumped in exos and spent their time chasing skulks and killing cysts. I left before the end came.
    haha. killing cysts is very important! The game shown above even had 3 gorges fail to bilebomb flight control. They got the power node to 300 before they all died.
    Skacky wrote: »
    I had a terrible game this morning on Summit. I was playing on the Marine team and my mates thought it was a great idea to just chill in Data Core/Atrium and do nothing else. Our commander was trying to get them to go to Flight since a Hive was just dropped there, but I was the only one going to Flight. The only one. No need to say we lost that game quite quickly.
    Ouch, no doubt. I really am not cool with a team that doesn't harass nodes or players that dont follow orders.
    semihandy wrote: »
    Sounds like every pub, ever.
    Some times you get a good game.
    That's more a matter of team stacking than anything.

Unless all those really good players went random, or all the noobs stacked aliens or something.
    We had more players the entire game. If memory serves I believe people went random on this one.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Oh god, please stick all quotes in one post, double is ok some times. Triple post? Really?
    How silly of me, such inconsiderate forum etiquette.
  • ns_insiderns_insider Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62484Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the thread was made for, what?
    to show you´ve been fucked up by the other team?
    ns_insider wrote: »
    the thread was made for, what?
    to show you´ve been fucked up by the other team?
    i would say that is an understatement
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    i feel your pain on that one mass haha, ouch!
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    What amazes me is how these games can last for so long with such unbalanced teams.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ^People don't know how to finish games.
    Or they like farming kills.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

I am tempted to note down their names so that I can play on their teams and share some tips. Helping less capable players is a noble calling for a member of the NS2 community.
    The noobies left over jumped in exos and spent their time chasing skulks and killing cysts. I left before the end came.

Abandoned your sinking ship while the crew fought to save her? The best captains would be training their sailors in patching the damage and fighting back.
    I was the only one going to Flight. The only one. No need to say we lost that game quite quickly.

Did you try to help your commander cajole his troops in the right direction? Was leadership displayed by anyone? Or were orders barked down the microphone?
    yuckfoo wrote: »
    Ouch, no doubt. I really am not cool with a team that doesn't harass nodes or players that dont follow orders.

Such a situation is the most important time to be cool. Players not following orders is, with the exception of the presence of actual trolls, a failure of leadership on the part of the commander and the more experienced players on the ground.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

Sounds like an opportunity to teach and lead.

The tone of this thread is distinctly unimpressive.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    That last SS is dragging the game out to pad their KD ratio, not because of any sportsmanship or lack of game closure knowledge.
  • ToothyToothy ir-regard-less Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13447Members, Constellation
    give it a burl and chew the fat mate
  • SkackySkacky Join Date: 2005-06-05 Member: 53189Members
    edited February 2013
    I was the only one going to Flight. The only one. No need to say we lost that game quite quickly.

Did you try to help your commander cajole his troops in the right direction? Was leadership displayed by anyone? Or were orders barked down the microphone?

Yeah unfortunately. When I don't command I play as a field sergeant trying to direct players to where we must go. I always keep an eye on the map and tell if a node gets attacked of if I spot opponents near a teammate. In that case we had a phase gate in Cross and I told everyone to phase there and push Flight as soon as possible, since their Hive was growing and there were only one Gorge and one Skulk inside. However no-one listened to me nor listened to the commander who was supporting me and we lost because of this.

I am tempted to note down their names so that I can play on their teams and share some tips. Helping less capable players is a noble calling for a member of the NS2 community.
    The noobies left over jumped in exos and spent their time chasing skulks and killing cysts. I left before the end came.

Abandoned your sinking ship while the crew fought to save her? The best captains would be training their sailors in patching the damage and fighting back.
    I was in that game with him.

The people in that game didn't listen, tried to take on multiple skulks solo, and generally failed at not dying.

• CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members

Such a situation is the most important time to be cool. Players not following orders is, with the exception of the presence of actual trolls, a failure of leadership on the part of the commander and the more experienced players on the ground.

Really dude? Can you blame me not teaching every single person ever? Do you know how many people I've helped, coached, and put up with, for no selfish reasons what-so-ever in the past 10 years this IP has existed? After all the time I've put in helping people, you get a bit jaded, there comes a point where I want to play for me, and have fun. I don't need assumptions to the contrary on a public forum. Maybe if the game-guides weren't abysmal and sad I wouldn't HAVE to potty-train the masses, and therefore become jaded and cranky.

And yes, I will leave a game that is frustrating, not fun. Sinking ship? This was the titanic, and it's ass was already in the air. I'm not a masochist.

Also, I think it's crap that when a new player or rookie doesn't listen its a fault of the commander. You've never played with me, so you have no idea what I say or do. I usually say on a rookie heavy team, and I'm 100% serious with this:

"If you're new, I don't care, just try to listen, and please ask questions."

When they don't and are ruining the game, I will leave.

I'm interested to see your response.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members

I was in that game with him.

The people in that game didn't listen, tried to take on multiple skulks solo, and generally failed at not dying.

I would take that opportunity to teach them how to listen, by playing Justin Bieber through my mic.

Yeah, but then you'd have to listen to justin beiber.
    edited February 2013
    Therius wrote: »
    What amazes me is how these games can last for so long with such unbalanced teams.
    The game i was in basically took 30+ mins because our team was being farmed. Aside from initially being able to expand in the early game unchecked allowing us to get 3 hives, almost everyone on marines just saved up for exos to finish us off, one hive at a time.
    I am inclined to agree with most of your responses. However, commanding players that don't have any concept of the game isn't the fault of the commander nor the more experienced players. Telling less experienced players to go to an area yet they've not a clue is another big problem. Obviously in situations like this creating a way point is the only way to really "paint the way for them."

In my experience I have witnessed skilled players be overrun in areas while the oblivious continue to meander in areas of the map adjacent to where the focal point of combat is, after multiple times of being told where to go by not only the commander by the better players themselves.

I understand your message and I realize most of the time, these sorts are new players and the skilled players should attempt to help them.

This just doesn't ever happen in any game. People rage quit out of games like these because they do not have the patience nor feel like it is worth their time to play with players that obviously are not on par with their skill.

Truly it is noble to be a ns2 teacher in a server although realistically, I just do not see it happening with the frequency required to really curb the skill differences.
    Half the people in this game don't have a mic, of that number, one in five listens to voice chat.

The rest ignore waypoints, ask for Exos 5 minutes into a game, and generally screw things up.
    Half the people in this game don't have a mic, of that number, one in five listens to voice chat.

The rest ignore waypoints, ask for Exos 5 minutes into a game, and generally screw things up.

That must be my fault too.

Most people I play with end up getting muted even if they have a mic. Too much irrelevant, erroneous chatter does not help the game at all, not to mention kids who have not yet hit puberty spamming voice is just plain annoying.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation

From top to bottom Strayan, THANKS YOU !!!!!!