Veteran Player - Top 3 needed features

tagwolftagwolf SF Bay Area Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182710Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum but by no means new to NS(2).

NS2 however is lacking a few key things for me that it desperately needs implemented (not in order of importance).
(Also sorry as I'm sure these have all been suggested)

1) Alien mini-map. I don't even think I need to go into why this is so critical. Playing with the 'c' key held down 90% of the game is unemersive and painful.

2) Marines melee should do more damage. Now not instakill halo style damage, but some. I hardly ever see this used and how often do you personally see melee kills? People immediately switch the the pistol and empty out their clip. Also if you guys want realism. A marine basing you in the face with a rifle butt is gonna hurt.

3) Ability to exit Exo suits. I don't like being trapped in a robot. :O

4) Ability to turn on friendly fire in servers options for competition / match play.

5) Vote kicking (in the x menu or the tab menu) implemented into servers for people trolling

6) *BIG ONE* First person perspective option during spectating to look for hackers / aim bots. Although I don't know of any that exist on this engine openly yet.

Also I know I lied about top "3". I thought of a few things last minute. Sorry :P

Comments

• tagwolftagwolf SF Bay Area Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182710Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Oh two more actually....

1) I like the new phase gate lines. But they should probably be dotted or more subtle to clean up the map

2) Marine commander UI needs a little bit more polish and should show hotkey assignments on each item / tab.

That's all I got for now. <3
  • tagwolftagwolf SF Bay Area Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182710Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Last and then I'm done I swear. Sorry guys. I need to get my mind off this. >.<:

1) Double jump press to activate jetpack or at least needing to hold it down until the arch of a normal jump completes.

2) Zoom on main map view with mouse scroll when commanding

3) Ability to favorite the current server you are playing on without remembering it's name.

4) Ability to select list when dead on who to specate or favorite / buddy a particular area or person(s) to spectate by default. (I know that's a tough one to implement)

Ok for real done now. Thanks for your time everyone. I LOVE THE GAME!
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    If you want First person spectate because you need to confirm hackers, you're doing it wrong (unless you're a server admin somewhere). If you suspect a hacker, you're just gonna see what you want to see when spectating your suspect, you need to be incredibly objective when doing so, which is unlikely if you were on the recieving end.

I do like zoom in on the map, or a bigger map when commanding. It's annoying to have to 'C' all the time to maybe find someone biting a power node. Spectating, source styel is also something I would support, as it's now you can't tell who you're spectating in third-person.
  • LonewulfzaLonewulfza Join Date: 2013-01-21 Member: 180951Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like and agree to your first 8 points. Would love to be able to get out of exo's and have the marine rifle butt do either more dmg or more pushback. Really dont think the aliens need a mini map tho...
  • MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
    edited February 2013
    What about MAC repair order switched from building->entity to building->exo->entity so I don't have to babysit macs whom are playing tag with marines...

edit:
    Insert after line 669:
    for w = 1, #weldables do
    	local weldable = weldables[w]
    	if weldable:GetCanBeWelded(self) and weldable:GetWeldPercentage() < 0.95 and weldable:isa("Exo") then
    		return self:GiveOrder(kTechId.Weld, weldable:GetId(), weldable:GetOrigin(), nil, false, false) ~= kTechId.None
    	end
    end

Bam.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You can easily get a mod that enables friendly fire, though I very much doubt it'll work out the way you envision it to :P.
    As for the alien minimap, they just really need to bring back hivesight imo.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    I get a pretty reasonable amount of kills with melee, its 25 damage what more do you want? I guess learn to time it?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    tagwolf wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm new to the forum but by no means new to NS(2).

NS2 however is lacking a few key things for me that it desperately needs implemented (not in order of importance).
    (Also sorry as I'm sure these have all been suggested)

1) Alien mini-map. I don't even think I need to go into why this is so critical. Playing with the 'c' key held down 90% of the game is unemersive and painful.

2) Marines melee should do more damage. Now not instakill halo style damage, but some. I hardly ever see this used and how often do you personally see melee kills? People immediately switch the the pistol and empty out their clip. Also if you guys want realism. A marine basing you in the face with a rifle butt is gonna hurt.

3) Ability to exit Exo suits. I don't like being trapped in a robot. :O

4) Ability to turn on friendly fire in servers options for competition / match play.

5) Vote kicking (in the x menu or the tab menu) implemented into servers for people trolling

6) *BIG ONE* First person perspective option during spectating to look for hackers / aim bots. Although I don't know of any that exist on this engine openly yet.

Also I know I lied about top "3". I thought of a few things last minute. Sorry :P

1) No.. it makes aliens different & they have hive sight. Aliens do not need more buffs this massive. It is supposed to be more hivesight, less map.
    2) Marines are long range, aliens short range. The bash & axe already do considerable damage if used correctly.
    3) yes
    4) perhaps
    5) perhaps
    6) Seen plenty people in games getting banned due to 'hacking' when the video clearly showed they just had massive skill. Far to few admins/players scream hack due to being biased or having a lack of experience.
    One other suggestion...

Gore bile bomb is severely over powered without alerting marines. ESPECIALLY in small matches.

I suggest the following for balance and it'd be easy to code:

Let gores bile bomb BUT alert marines of an attack on a structure. In exchange for this balance. Perhaps let gorges to into a team fortress "Spy feign death" pose by holding down shift and not moving?

Cause again, right now with how it's coded. BILE BOMB IS SEVERELY UNBALANCED.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    No it is not. a lack of a warning is not the fault of bile, but of the warning system.
    Bile uses up a lot of energy & is the only real way to keep a marine turtle out of the picture.

One bilebomb gorge is easily stopped by putting a clip into it. Multiple gorges? That means there team is not in any attack form, nuke a hive. A bilebombing gorge is not healing.

Really no problem there.
  • sliktsslikts Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174759Members
    edited February 2013
    So it's just random stuff you want… Have you considered what it means for balance to be able to get out of exos, for instance? Currently exos are siege machines that need to be supported to be effective since they can't repair themselves, have less mobility, and it's all on purpose. Some "veteran player" you are if you don't even understand the concept of balance.
  • Mc_IntireMc_Intire Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182745Members
    I don't like the fact that you cannot Exos either. However I understand why you should not be hopping in and out of the Exo. Not only could Exo players just abandon ship if their Exo is low HP in battle, marines hopping out for a second, repairing and hopping back in immediately might make welder suppport a lot less needed.

I made a suggestion pertaining that in that modular Exo thread which I think might work. If the player has to stay out of the Exo for a fixed period of time after getting out it will be a risk for them, especially if they are alone. And a simple exit animation might just stop Exo players from getting out alive in combat. At the same time Exo players could still help repairing or setting up instead of waiting in a dark corridor until finally that welder marine came from the other end of the map to keep them company. It might also permit players to trade Exos to better players if they have the resources left.
  • GnubboloGnubbolo Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62793Members
    edited February 2013
    1) change the position of chat
    i have the chat in the middle of the screen in 800x600, for this reason training in a pub is impossible, and find 2-3 pcw per day ( low ) is hard, also on irc

3 months, no change, i give up probably
  • rook2pawnrook2pawn Join Date: 2008-07-03 Member: 64552Members
    I just want to point out some design changes are on purpose.

An Exo, is an inversion of the NS1 Heavy. NS1 heavies were about tanking hard with welders and creating trains. An exo train is much more fragile, yet much more sharp-edged.

A pair of NS1 heavies were capable of performing self-maintenance; That's entirely the point of Exos in NS2, they wanted to get rid of that aspect.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Amused to see top 3 balloon into top 12 :)

Most of those are on UWE's to-do list, but are not as high of a priority as things such as performance increases, bugfixes, and other new features.
    Considering I'm an engineer for a PlayStation dev studio. I know quite a bit about game balance and playability / emersion. Hence why I requested these features in the first place.
    slikts wrote: »
    So it's just random stuff you want… Have you considered what it means for balance to be able to get out of exos, for instance? Currently exos are siege machines that need to be supported to be effective since they can't repair themselves, have less mobility, and it's all on purpose. Some "veteran player" you are if you don't even understand the concept of balance.

You still did not grasp the essence of NS2 if you want to 'spot' hackers by 1rst person & change stuff like alien minimap.
    So that makes your comment about knowing emersion a moot point. Your minimap suggestion was the direct opposite.
  • rook2pawnrook2pawn Join Date: 2008-07-03 Member: 64552Members
    Considering I'm an engineer for a PlayStation dev studio. I know quite a bit about game balance and playability / emersion. Hence why I requested these features in the first place.

This is just awful.

Unless you are a top tier game designer, you don't have any credibility behind your words, and based on your suggestions, I don't think they are very good ones, and I dont think anyone really agrees with you either.

• hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    Not sure if troll or just works on really bad PS games.
    IF you think they are the utmost important issues in NS2 you can't have possibly played more than 4 and a half minutes.

Trust me, I'm a certified Swiss watch time keeper. I know time...and emersion. Can't forget emersion.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    when a power node is hit in a room the whole room should flash red on the mini map
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    when a power node is hit in a room the whole room should flash red on the mini map

What do you know, a good recommendation came from this thread after all.
    Lol.

I love that a couple fan boys can turn a thread from something possibly productive into something biased and based in conflict.

Not saying these feature suggestions are perfect. Hence suggestions and ideas. It's something you'd have to test and see how it would work in the masses. Especially in a game like NS that is very difficult to balance due to 2 completely different play styles fighting each other all with different level skilled players on each side. Strategy/Balance even varies GREATLY depending on the map. I have nightmares about 12 year olds shouting "GET NANO!!!".

Regardless, I stand by what I said. For me, personally, it'd improve gameplay. I also believe for the majority of players, these are good things.

As far as hive sight, God that brings me back. Have no clue how it'd work with the current mechanics. But the devs removed it for some reason. It probably caused some sort of issues against the marines. But alas, without it in the game now I can't say how it'd stack up. But please, at least give aliens a minimap someday after the more important issues are sorted. :P

Again, still love the game and hope it hits the masses someday. This might require an XBLA release. But way off topic now.
  • FlacrackerFlacracker Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154659Members
    Gnubbolo wrote: »
    1) change the position of chat
    i have the chat in the middle of the screen in 800x600, for this reason training in a pub is impossible, and find 2-3 pcw per day ( low ) is hard, also on irc

3 months, no change, i give up probably

What the hell are you running in 800x600 for? It seems ridiculous to ask for support for a resolution like that.
    I do not consider myself a fanboy, if you happen to refer to me.
    All points I am hammering on, where argued back with motivation & points from ingame. ^^
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    Giving aliens a minimap is pointless.
    The good players will still be using the full map to determine the flow of the game. A minimap of the surrounding area is pointless clutter.

Here's an idea. Add a minimap off/on setting in the settings page. As some marines might think it's pointless clutter too from that angle.

Many maps have complex vents and pathways that can easily be forgotten, at least by myself, at times.

However holding down C most of the time is really annoying. Many people bind this to a mouse button.

Here's an even better idea. In the minimap setting, under the off/on, put a zoom slider.
    hus wrote: »
    The good players will still be using the full map to determine the flow of the game. A minimap of the surrounding area is pointless clutter.

• Mc_IntireMc_Intire Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182745Members
    I have nightmares about 12 year olds shouting "GET NANO!!!".
    Were you in that game, too? Where some prepuberscent figure took command of the marines and yelled "Capture Nano dammit" all ten seconds like a broken record for ten minutes and we lost after that because we neither had a singly res nor a command point captured in all that time?

I was standing in Obs I think, telling the comm to please drop something there and got flamed by my teammates for not listening blindly to the orders of my comm and helping them attack. Ah the good times.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Here's an idea. Add a minimap off/on setting in the settings page. As some marines might think it's pointless clutter too from that angle.

Many maps have complex vents and pathways that can easily be forgotten, at least by myself, at times.

However holding down C most of the time is really annoying. Many people bind this to a mouse button.

Here's an even better idea. In the minimap setting, under the off/on, put a zoom slider.

Here's an idea. off/on settings for everything.
    Why make design decisions at all when you can just make toggles.
    |strofix| wrote: »

Here's an idea. off/on settings for everything.
    Why make design decisions at all when you can just make toggles.

I love it :D

*toggles off sarcasm*
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    Is it not "immersion"? Sorry to be THAT guy, but everyone keeps misspelling the word.

I like the idea of Modular Exos, as we have discussed to great effect, multiple times in the past. However, giving them the ability to exit, animation or no is counter-intuitive to their design as somewhat-fragile, but powerful with support.

Hivesight IS awful right now and needs increased range along with better utilization of Parasite, but giving Aliens a minimap is a horrible idea.

The axe and riflebutt have never felt right to me. I can't exactly pin it down, but I feel the riflebutt should do no damage, but have a slight shove effect as seen in L4D. The axe should remain unchanged, as it is primarily an anti-structure weapon, not a melee weapon.

My opinions matter more than yours, because they are fact. Also, I am Astronaut with Russian Space Program.