ns2_rebirth [WIP]

SkackySkacky Join Date: 2005-06-05 Member: 53189Members
Might as well have my own thread now.

Rebirth is a 4-Tech Point / 10-Res Node map set on a generic sci-fi space station. The layout uses a diamond shape and the central area holds a double Res Node. So far only one Tech Point, Observation, and the Ready Room are detailed. The rest of the map (which isn't much at the moment) is greybox'd with some mockup architecture done that is obviously subject to change. The layout of Observation is also pretty much WIP at the moment.

So far the main areas of the map are:

o Reactor (North)
o Observation (West)
o Command (South)
o Uplink (East)
- Mainframe (Central, 2xRT)
- Coolant Processing (NW)
- Data Bank (SW)
- Mess Hall (SE)
- Airlock (NE)

Some pictures:

QrEzsFZl.jpg
The Ready Room

QPvFY7ll.jpg
Observation #1

fsVT2NPl.jpg
Observation #2

vdR5Mbvl.jpg
Observation #3

Mxrq0Ynl.jpg
Data Bank

Comments and critique are very welcome. I'll try to get an alpha out soon.

Comments

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Looks promising. I like the lighting.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    NICE WORK SKACKY! the lighting is nice looking but probably a bit too contrasty for my personal tastes. Keep the tonal difference just up the brightness and distance of the neutral/cooler lighting. From our playtests one thing I've noticed is most the custom maps are just too dark or too visually jarring with contrast and composition of the lighting. It might look moody and interesting but it detracts from gameplay too much. It's a fine balance to get right. I cant fault the geometry at all, lovely lovely shapes and natural looking constructs! would be nice to see some sketches of your intended layout too!
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Looking very promising indeed! Kudos
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Looks pretty wonderful right now! Right now the lighting seems like it's white + orange - have you thought about something a little more interesting than white? Maybe cyan to go with the orange? Or maybe that would look too much like a lot of the other maps. Maybe the orange could be something else. Or just keep doing it like you're doing it, it looks fantastic no matter what.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    looking good, cant wait to play it
  • SkackySkacky Join Date: 2005-06-05 Member: 53189Members
    I'm glad you find this to your liking. Right now the lighting is more of a first pass than anything, it's still pretty wonky and non-functional and I'll have to work on it again some more before I achieve what I want. The lights aren't white though, it may look like it but it's not. It's more like a washed-out blue with slight shades of cyan. I'll try to get it more cyan though, it may be interesting.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I think the lights hue/saturation are workable. more 'bounce' lighting on the pale cyan lights to remove the hard contrasty dark spots of the scene and establish primary value for the map. Before you change anything show us it with more cyan- increase the range, brightness and count of those lights!
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    Is it fully playable? o.0
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited February 2013
    I still don't like the orange colored lights :P they look like afternoon sun and make me sleepy lol

but the geometry and textures look fantastic!
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Yeah looking solid good, but I agree on the orange light :)
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    But I like the orange lights. It's what creates such a distinct atmosphere.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I don't mind the orange lights either, but the one thing that pops out to me is the skinniness of the wall with the arch in it compared to the general chunky, solid architecture around it. It feels like that wall ought to be thicker.
    edited February 2013
    Burdock wrote: »
    Is it fully playable? o.0

Nope, not yet. I have to greybox the rest of the map first and it's taking me way more time than I first thought.
    I don't mind the orange lights either, but the one thing that pops out to me is the skinniness of the wall with the arch in it compared to the general chunky, solid architecture around it. It feels like that wall ought to be thicker.

The thing is I don't want to make that wall thicker for a reason; since the Tech Point is in that little room it would move it a bit farther east, not much, mind you, but still, and I'm already a bit concerned about the eventual possibility of ARCs being able to siege it from some nearby rooms. So far I think it's impossible but I don't really want to take risks given its position. :p

I'm going to tweak the lighting scheme a bit today and make it a bit more believable. I'm thinking of keeping the orange lights as it is for the moment, and if they don't satisfy me anymore I may reduce the contrast.
    Bleh, double post, I know, but I have a question for you guys.
    Which lighting model do you prefer, the original one or this one?

7dwwiAMl.jpg
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i prefer the new one :)
    I'm more satisfied with the new one that feels more alive, so I'm keeping it for the moment. I still have the old values so returning to them won't be a problem. Some progress made today, at last. I changed the lighting model in Data Bank and added a new area connecting Data and the soon-to-be-made Command. I'm not particularly happy with the lighting in this are but that will wait tomorrow. Time to catch some sleep now.

3Vpnc7yl.jpg

52kd1gml.jpg
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I like the new lighting. Everything is looking pretty awesome.
  • alibialibi Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69445Members
    Some good stuff going on here, keep it up!
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
  • PogoPPogoP Environment Artist Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25827Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation
    Looks nice! Maybe you should hold out for the new Descent art assets, I think they would go nicely here.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited February 2013
    i dont know if it is only me or the FOV, but if they are unsymmetrical i think this arches would look way better if you mirror the thickness on both sides to make them look the same.

http://i.imgur.com/VyXrh1s.png

aslo how did you make the image show instead of that link to imgur becouse no matter how i try it always become a link
    PogoP wrote: »
    Looks nice! Maybe you should hold out for the new Descent art assets, I think they would go nicely here.

Thanks! I'm not detailling the rest of the map until I'm certain the balance is good, so it will no doubt be released after Descent and will use some of its assets.
    RadimaX wrote: »
    i dont know if it is only me or the FOV, but if they are unsymmetrical i think this arches would look way better if you mirror the thickness on both sides to make them look the same.

http://i.imgur.com/VyXrh1s.png

aslo how did you make the image show instead of that link to imgur becouse no matter how i try it always become a link

It's the FOV, these sides are definitely symmetrical. My head hurts when things like that aren't perfectly symmetrical. As for the link, I just posted the BBCode link imgur gives you after you've uploaded the picture, in the Large Thumbnail tab.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2013
    smart man. being a perfectionist in mapping means it takes forever to make them, but what you make RULES. i should know, i'm still 10% done on mine. (1 year and running!)
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    I still think you could reduce the amount of orange spotlights have have situated throughout the new screenshot. Keep them to points of interest so they grab your attention. Right now they are getting my attention all over the room and it becomes hard to focus.
    yeah! looking really lovely! i much prefer the latest lighting iteration, though some of the cooler lights now seem very intense close to the source (in the first screenshot of your latest post). I like the amount of light they give off, just not the super bright spots. Any chance of seeing layout plan?
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Thanks skacky, i only made the account just now in order to post on this thread when i saw this amazing looking pics. In another editor called radiant for cod you can choose your fov so it is identical to ingame or however you feel like working but this fisheye look would make my head hurt symmetrical or not (thats why i mostly played as marines before but getting used to it)

As for the orange lights i feel many are against it but orange is naturally the best complimentary color to blue and is also why i think ns2 hud and all other elements have thoose colors instead of the classic blue/red for friend/enemy theme. id say keep the lights in but maby tweak the intensity if that is the case!
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It does look very atmosspheric and open, I like it very much! And I agree with Dux' suggestion.
    Looking forward to the updates!