Natural Selection 2 News Update - Beta Build 236 live on Steam

HughHugh CameramanSan Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Beta Build 236 live on Steam here

Comments

• RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Nice, would still like to see changelog now though.
    The new docking minimap doesn't match the actual map.
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2059496:date=Jan 11 2013, 11:15 PM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ Jan 11 2013, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice, would still like to see changelog now though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

not allowed to get it
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited January 2013
    Well the blug notes always come later after the post. I am going to try it out a bit.

Patch is 158 MB

All the alien upgrade icons got flipped around. No idea why though.

Atmospherics toned down

Cyst changes implemented as in they retract infestation instantly

No Fade buff to 300 HP

No snowballs

Flashlights seem more focused

Docking map has some structural changes and by some I mean A LOT also press e for bar music and that musics range is pretty far. No terminal to locker rooms shortcut :<

ALSO they added vote to concede/surrender. Press x and it's on the bottom

Bugs on my end:
    Explore mode and or creating a listen server gets me a black screen like a previous glitch. Not sure if it's just me.

Not sure if bug but you can leave bar and the music plays loudly even when you are far. If you go far enough you get out of range but it just seems odd.
  • TSADroneTSADrone Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173807Members
    Wow, here's what we are gonna do, but you'll have to wait to find out what it is. Ridiculous.
  • SaniKSaniK Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166850Members
    can someone pirate me the changelog?
  • Who is Mike Jones?Who is Mike Jones? Join Date: 2011-10-29 Member: 130080Members
    Without the changelog, how will we know what bugs to look out for?
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059510:date=Jan 11 2013, 11:50 PM:name=SaniK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaniK @ Jan 11 2013, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059510"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->can someone pirate me the changelog?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lmfao
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    Yeah, Change log's would be nice UWE.... But good ###### !
  • InficiusInficius Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059501:date=Jan 11 2013, 08:27 PM:name=YMICrazy502)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YMICrazy502 @ Jan 11 2013, 08:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well the blug notes always come later after the post. I am going to try it out a bit.

Patch is 158 MB

All the alien upgrade icons got flipped around. No idea why though.

Atmospherics toned down

Cyst changes implemented as in they retract infestation instantly

No Fade buff to 300 HP

No snowballs

Flashlights seem more focused

Docking map has some structural changes and by some I mean A LOT also press e for bar music and that musics range is pretty far. No terminal to locker rooms shortcut :<

<b>ALSO they added vote to concede/surrender. Press x and it's on the bottom</b>

Bugs on my end:
    Explore mode and or creating a listen server gets me a black screen like a previous glitch. Not sure if it's just me.

Not sure if bug but you can leave bar and the music plays loudly even when you are far. If you go far enough you get out of range but it just seems odd.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I play on a server that had this as a mod but it there isn't a surrender screen. Instead, the opposing team is abruptly declared the winner. I hope that there is a notification that 1. Surrender is being voted and 2. When a game has ended due to a successful surrender poll.
    <!--quoteo(post=2059538:date=Jan 11 2013, 10:57 PM:name=Inficius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Inficius @ Jan 11 2013, 10:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059538"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I play on a server that had this as a mod but it there isn't a surrender screen. Instead, the opposing team is abruptly declared the winner. I hope that there is a notification that 1. Surrender is being voted and 2. When a game has ended due to a successful surrender poll.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is auto-concede, slightly different than surrender. Essentially if enough people on your team leave (i.e. go to ready room), the team abruptly loses. Surrender is a vote.
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    how about rail gun chick marines
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Thank you for adding a surrender option. Much better than f4 to surrender. Majority surrender vote will mean if only a minority decides to surrender, it doesn't ruin a game in progress by creating imbalanced teams (as opposed to f4, which has this effect).

Whenever a surrender thread is made it's quickly dismissed with "we already have f4" comments, despite this glaring problem. So, I never thought I'd say this, but, thank you for <i>not</i> listening to the community on this one :)

As for the other changes, I'm a little stumped why the cyst changes made the cut and not the fade changes? Seems like the worst part of the balance mod made the cut, and the best part didn't (although that's just one man's opinion).

I don't know how infestation insta-recede is ever going to work with whips. Especially with echoing bombard-whips (pretty much makes this strategy COMPLETELY useless). Cyst spam can be a problem due to area denial, but can be pretty easily countered simply just by buying a welder, and made completely useless by a flamethrower. If anything, all I feel that needs to be done is to make it so that nutrient mist doesn't effect cysts. Without myst, cysts can be dealt to pretty easily, without having to go over the top with insta-recede and making new cysts die to a single pistol bullet.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is this the beta for the content patch?(please say yes please say yes please say yes)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2059577:date=Jan 12 2013, 08:47 AM:name=killer monkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (killer monkey @ Jan 12 2013, 08:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is this the beta for the content patch?(please say yes please say yes please say yes)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    I like the surrender option, my previous solution was to get ppl to eject comm so I could jump in CC to recycle. As for aliens, well, f4 was the only option.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...
    Evolving into a Lerk causes me to disconnect from the game, landing on the shore of my own subconsious
    ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nearly covered my monitor with breakfast cereal. xD
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->We've been working on this patch for a while now, hard to recall everything that went into it. And no, it is not the content update.

Some highlights include:
    <i>- Major changes to Docking, specifically around cafeteria, east wing, and departures.
    - Gorge spit had its hit detection fixed. Works like a charm now, don't mess with the battlegorge!
    - More bug fixes than you can poke a stick at.</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited January 2013
    Docking is changed a lot! (haven't tested anything else)

Things I noticed:
    <ul><li>East Wing and Departures:
    TOTALLY redone! The way from Terminal to East Wing RT and Departures is *much* longer now. Generally, Hallways are much wider and brighter now. The vent from Departures leads to both Stability and Courtyard now.</li><li>Courtyard:
    RT removed! Those crates to quickly jump up to Locker Room removed! Hallway from Terminal to Courtyard is much brighter.</li><li>Maintenance:
    New vent to Locker Room East entrance.</li><li>Cafeteria:
    Tech Point and RT position switched. The new RT is also behind some cover. The vent from Central Access to Landing Pad now leads to Cafeteria, too (ends right behind the RT). Power node moved a little.</li><li>Bar:
    No more music :-((((( Give us back the music!</li><li>Back Alley (between Bar and Locker):
    Seems to be a little wider.</li><li>Maintenance:
    Hallway to Gen has some new crates and Skulk hiding spots. Also a new annoying background sound.</li></ul>
    <b><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->BUGS<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b>:
    <ul><li>z-Fighting on the lowest step of the stairs in North Point</li><li>Missing Floor below the Escalators in East Wing, next to the RT</li><li>The wall between Locker and Ball Court (lower hallyway with the door) looks like it floats above the ground from Ball Court side. That just looks strange.</li><li>Some ugly shadows and shadow pop ins in Courtyard.</li></ul>
    Goals of these changes might be
    <ul><li> stop Marines from going East Wing all the time. Now they might easier go Courtyard (or not, since Courtyard is less useful now).</li><li> prevent Aliens from being contained in Departures by holding Stability (quick vent to Courtyard).</li></ul>
    Not sure if it will work. I'm afraid Marines will just go Cafeteria even harder.
    Also, the map feels stylistically inconsistent now. Old style in Courtyard/Stablity, new distinct style in East Wing/Departures.
    And Cafeteria feels like it has bad proportions and is made by a noob mapper. It's all over the place.

Looking forward to see how Docking plays now.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    Just some some balance changes (or rather additions) that are quick and easy to get from the files. However this <b>does not</b> mean the new features are actually in the patch!

kDualRailgunExosuitCost = 75
    kRailgunCost = 30
    kDualRailgunTechResearchCost = 20
    kDualRailgunTechResearchTime = 60

kRailgunDamage = 100
    kRailgunChargeDamage = 25
    kRailgunDamageType = kDamageType.Puncture

kGorgeTunnelCost = 10
    kGorgeTunnelBuildTime = 15

kBabblerPheromoneEnergyCost = 7
    kBabblerEggBuildTime = 4
    kNumBabblersPerGorge = 10

kGorgeTunnelResearchCost = 20
    kGorgeTunnelResearchTime = 60
    kWebResearchCost = 20
    kWebResearchTime = 60

kBabblerAbilityResearchCost = 30
    kBabblerAbilityResearchTime = 90

kWebBuildCost = 1
    kWebbedDuration = 1

kBoneShieldEnergyPerSecond = 15
    kStartBoneShieldCost = 10
    kBoneShieldDamageAbsorbPerEnergy = 10

// bone shield absorbs maximum of 90% damage
    kBoneShieldAbsorbFraction = 0.9
  • WildChickenWildChicken Join Date: 2004-08-25 Member: 30891Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    Server browser seems to not take 236 into account properly. Some modded servers (and a few tagged as non-modded) show up when using server browser ingame with beta installed.

Heidis Ziegenfarm 1,2, Oldassgamers, Teamworkandtactics.co.uk and more.

Also, how do you install beta on a server, if you only have a remote connection to server files?
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    I know this isn't what you asked for, but...

Typing r_pq in the console disables some or all particle effects altogether. This grants a significant advantage when playing as an exo.

The ambiance sound has gone all sorts of weird, tested on docking. Sounds starts and stops very abruptly and you need to get very close. Instead of there being background music it's now playing from different directions, in specific places. In cafeteria for instance the spooky music is coming from a table at the window. Standing on it makes the music as loud as it was in the bar while standing over at the new RT position is absolutely dead quiet. So is the entire map unless you're hugging a sound source.

I also miss the music in the bar, it made the room interesting and different.

This may not be a change in the beta but a problem I ran into nonetheless. Infestation can end up being waaaay too bubbly.
    <a href="http://imgur.com/a/QWGhx" target="_blank">http://imgur.com/a/QWGhx</a>
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059605:date=Jan 12 2013, 10:59 AM:name=WildChicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WildChicken @ Jan 12 2013, 10:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059605"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Server browser seems to not take 236 into account properly. Some modded servers (and a few tagged as non-modded) show up when using server browser ingame with beta installed.

Heidis Ziegenfarm 1,2, Oldassgamers, Teamworkandtactics.co.uk and more.

Also, how do you install beta on a server, if you only have a remote connection to server files?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are those servers in your favourites by any chance?

Liking the beta but obviously disappointed as I thought this was the content patch :(

No major gameplay changes that I noticed, concede vote is a good addition, though should probably display a notification to teammates, and the text in the menu is VOTE_CONCEDE, which should probably be toned down to 'Vote Concede' or something. Battle gorge is incredible now, sniping jetpackers left, right and centre! Seems like a significant FPS increase on my computer, and very stable for the hour or so I played. Thumbs up!
  • WildChickenWildChicken Join Date: 2004-08-25 Member: 30891Members, Constellation
    I noticed black spots on infestation in Ball Court and Maintenance:
    <a href="http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558711795719806631/4A5C80D2F38A62E94D6B796408465C6925E4E16E/" target="_blank">http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/55871179...465C6925E4E16E/</a>
    Yeah Trotsky, most are in my favourites list. Had favourites disabled however and there are 2 playtest servers showing up but I still get server and client differ when trying to connect to either of them.

Either way, there's something fishy in the server browser :p
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2059612:date=Jan 12 2013, 12:26 PM:name=WildChicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WildChicken @ Jan 12 2013, 12:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah Trotsky, most are in my favourites list. Had favourites disabled however and there are 2 playtest servers showing up but I still get server and client differ when trying to connect to either of them.

Either way, there's something fishy in the server browser :p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The favorites will always show no matter what.

<!--quoteo(post=2059519:date=Jan 12 2013, 06:23 AM:name=Who is Mike Jones?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Who is Mike Jones? @ Jan 12 2013, 06:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Without the changelog, how will we know what bugs to look out for?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You don't have to look for specific bugs, just play normally and see if something is buggy.

<!--quoteo(post=2059609:date=Jan 12 2013, 12:19 PM:name=YoungTrotsky)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YoungTrotsky @ Jan 12 2013, 12:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059609"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No major gameplay changes that I noticed, concede vote is a good addition, though should probably display a notification to teammates, and the text in the menu is VOTE_CONCEDE, which should probably be toned down to 'Vote Concede' or something. Battle gorge is incredible now, sniping jetpackers left, right and centre! Seems like a significant FPS increase on my computer, and very stable for the hour or so I played. Thumbs up!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is no string for the concede vote yet, that's why you get that VOTE_CONCEDE.
  • wootwoot Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26556Members
    Still getting the frequent freezes which started in the previous build, which I have to control-alt-delete out of.

Tech support file emailed.
  • nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059605:date=Jan 12 2013, 11:59 AM:name=WildChicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WildChicken @ Jan 12 2013, 11:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059605"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Heidis Ziegenfarm 1,2, Oldassgamers, Teamworkandtactics.co.uk and more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also noticed this. By the way all servers that appeared for me were in my favorites. Maybe they are appearing cause you have them in your favorites?
  • nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
    edited January 2013
    I somehow got a mouse actual position and pointer position miss alignment when starting the game. Just checked. If I start the game from steam library and then click on store or community my mouse pointer in main menu is lower than the actual position of the mouse.

EDIT: By the way. It can be fixed by alt tab and going back to game.