Are people hacking? Or just that good?

DustmopDustmop Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174780Members
Almost every server I join has people complaining about some marine with an auto aim or wall hacks.

Are there really hacks for this game? And are people actually using them?

I don't know a thing about hacking but I think it is pretty weak. How much fun can you have cheating?

Is there any way to check if they are?

Comments

• Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    Barely anyone is hacking. People are just mad and bad
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Seeing how this is a "small" game, I don't think there are any third party hacks out, yet. A quick Google search has shown me nothing but denials from the authors of such atrocities claiming there are bigger and better games for them to ruin.
  • luminalumina Join Date: 2012-06-15 Member: 153300Members
    I would say hacks are probably pretty rare. I was accused of hacking yesterday and I'm not even very good at this game. Don't listen to the kids who get mad every time they die.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    A lot of people have been playing ns for a long time.... you generally learn to aim after all that time.
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some aliens are just used to not getting hit and killing multiple marines. When they face a good player they don't know how to react and therefore call hacks.
  • senatesenate Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75023Members
    it's mostly players who have developed great hand to eye coordination (marine rifles don't have recoil) from other games and/or have been developing it since beta access. I feel like sometimes I get in the "zone" mentally and track aliens quite well and if I'm on a server with new players i'll go 24-1, etc.. On the other hand if i'm on a vet server i'll go 16-7.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    or just cry for nerfs
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2045820:date=Dec 14 2012, 03:49 PM:name=lumina)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lumina @ Dec 14 2012, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would say hacks are probably pretty rare. I was accused of hacking yesterday and I'm not even very good at this game. Don't listen to the kids who get mad every time they die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sadly its not just kids. Last night half my freaking team was complaining of some one cheating and all sounded like grown men. Our alien commander was ######ing every time they killed more then 1 person... Granted it one of those clan guys who goes 47 and 4 in 20 min but that don't matter.

IMO people complain WAAAAY to much about people cheating. They fail to realize people have been playing this game for longer then 2 months. People need to be quiet and play.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited December 2012
    There are hacks for NS2... but you're far more likely to encounter a skilled player than a hacker right now. The hacks must be paid for and are very difficult to find, or are vac banned.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    well except for te one already one the workshop :/
    <!--quoteo(post=2045840:date=Dec 14 2012, 04:10 PM:name=Gamerkatze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gamerkatze @ Dec 14 2012, 04:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045840"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->well except for te one already one the workshop :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Everything in the workshop can be blocked by consistency.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    We totally need a thread for this every few days. Yessiree. Not enough "Are people hacking?" threads, a veritable drought of them.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I already encountered a player who was really landing every single hit with a Shotgun in every encounter even against multiple Skulks. Ended up with 50/4 ratio, the deaths only being from being overwhelmed by four or more Skulks.
    He also spawned with jetpack once it was researched and seemed to have unlimited fuel.
  • -FLH--FLH- Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168077Members
    I asked my nine year old daughter to do a little google and inside two mins she found a series of 233 hacks that beat consistency so I think we now all know to watch all NS2 playing nine year olds!
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2045853:date=Dec 14 2012, 04:20 PM:name=-FLH-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-FLH- @ Dec 14 2012, 04:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045853"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I asked my nine year old daughter to do a little google and inside two mins she found a series of 233 hacks that beat consistency so I think we now all know to watch all NS2 playing nine year olds!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Report it to UWE please. I've been googling the last 30 minutes and I haven't found even a wallhack (aside from the one I already knew about, which is vac banned)

[edit] Be aware that hacks for "Natural Selection" will not work for Natural Selection 2.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    there are hacks. it's usually obvious who's using them though, and you don't see too many of them.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2045836:date=Dec 14 2012, 03:07 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 14 2012, 03:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are hacks for NS2... but you're far more likely to encounter a skilled player than a hacker right now. The hacks must be paid for and are very difficult to find.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2045856:date=Dec 14 2012, 03:28 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 14 2012, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Report it to UWE please. I've been googling the last 30 minutes and I haven't found even a wallhack.

[edit] Be aware that hacks for "Natural Selection" will not work for Natural Selection 2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, so which is it?
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2045869:date=Dec 14 2012, 03:46 PM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Dec 14 2012, 03:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045869"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, so which is it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The absence of evidence is not an evidence absence.

I'm a strong member of the "no cheaters within margin of error" crowd, but even I know that not being able to find an aimbot or wallhack doesn't mean that they don't exist. Trying to prove that anything doesn't exist is an exercise in futility.
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    Yes there are hacks.
    Yes I've run into hackers and they are obvious.

Only two I've seen so far are a wall hack and an aimbot, its pretty obvious when someone's using either.

The funniest was marking a Marine with parasite and running off with them using the aimbot (A poorly programmed one I might add) and watching as I ran round the map only for the Marine to constantly turn to perfectly face me through walls etc.

Also aimbots presently fail to lead targets so you can really screw over people using them by getting in close
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2045870:date=Dec 14 2012, 03:51 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Dec 14 2012, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045870"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The absence of evidence is not an evidence absence.

I'm a strong member of the "no cheaters within margin of error" crowd, but even I know that not being able to find an aimbot or wallhack doesn't mean that they don't exist. Trying to prove that anything doesn't exist is an exercise in futility.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh believe me I know that. His wording can be very confusing to others though.
    <!--quoteo(post=2045872:date=Dec 14 2012, 04:52 PM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 14 2012, 04:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes there are hacks.
    Yes I've run into hackers and they are obvious.

Only two I've seen so far are a wall hack and an aimbot, its pretty obvious when someone's using either.

The funniest was marking a Marine with parasite and running off with them using the aimbot (A poorly programmed one I might add) and watching as I ran round the map only for the Marine to constantly turn to perfectly face me through walls etc.

Also aimbots presently fail to lead targets so you can really screw over people using them by getting in close<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't believe the aimbot is publicly available yet, if you did indeed encounter it.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2045874:date=Dec 14 2012, 04:53 PM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Dec 14 2012, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045874"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh believe me I know that. His wording can be very confusing to others though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ok, for the record, I know of a wallhack that is vac banned, and an aimbot in development that you must pay for get get access to. I've searched considerably for more hacks than that and have found nothing (which doesn't imply they do not exist, there are almost definitely more hacks in private development, but I'm saying they aren't easily pubically accessible right now). There are also exploitative mods you can install on workshop, however, mods are not "cheats" as such, and mods can be blocked by the server admin if he so chooses that fair play is more important than being able to replace your harvesters with a Christmas tree.

I also know of hundreds of highly skilled competitive players spread throughout all the active communities in which NS2 is played, and competitive players tend to log MUCH MUCH more time into the game than your average hacker. The VAST VAAAAAAST majority of hack accusations on NS2 right now are wrongful. We're probably taking 100/1. So the message is the same as always. Don't be quick to accuse other players of hacking, they probably are just good at the game, and deserve your respect, not your ire.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    A lot of self pro-claimed pros with "years of experience in fps gaming" do a lot of the accusing in this game, unfortunately.

I have yet to see a hacker in this game.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2045887:date=Dec 14 2012, 03:25 PM:name=Scatter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scatter @ Dec 14 2012, 03:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045887"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A lot of self pro-claimed pros with "years of experience in fps gaming" do a lot of the accusing in this game, unfortunately.

I have yet to see a hacker in this game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's because "I'm an ns1 vet" / "I played Ns1 for years" / "I've played fps games for a decade" should, usually, translate to "I played pubs in Ns1, occasionally" or "I played Doom then CS 1.6 for 6 months and CoD occasionally."

People tend to overstate their experience in things. No one wants to be the rookie, inexperienced or just wrong. They want to validate their anger at losing and the only way they can is to proclaim they are experienced enough to know the difference between being out-skilled and cheated.
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2045891:date=Dec 14 2012, 03:31 PM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Dec 14 2012, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's because "I'm an ns1 vet" / "I played Ns1 for years" / "I've played fps games for a decade" should, usually, translate to "I played pubs in Ns1, occasionally" or "I played Doom then CS 1.6 for 6 months and CoD occasionally."

People tend to overstate their experience in things. No one wants to be the rookie, inexperienced or just wrong. They want to validate their anger at losing and the only way they can is to proclaim they are experienced enough to know the difference between being out-skilled and cheated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Could just go look at their hours played. Not really a valid measure but anything over 100 means at least a little experience.
    <!--quoteo(post=2045878:date=Dec 14 2012, 09:59 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 14 2012, 09:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't believe the aimbot is publicly available yet, if you did indeed encounter it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True as I have a feeling I ran into one of its dev team (I've run into him on other games they've created such paid aimbots for too even using the same Nick name).

This doesn't stop the few who are able to develop their own custom ones but those are less common and often less effective.

In terms of searches I've found a Speeh hack which has been countered already in the game code itself.

Confirmation that a certain group who the guy I ran into mods for are working on an aimbot
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I play Quake and see myself somewhere in the bottom half. Of course, Quakelive is skill-bracketed and thus my particular skill level, but the point is there's still alot of people above me every game.

Then I go play NS2 and I'm more often than not topping the charts. Even though I can't hit jack with a shotgun. Now it makes me think, what if all those people from Quake dropped into NS2... That's alot of decent aimers...

I think the answer is the latter. There's just people that good. Or bad, or with lots of time in their hands, or born with good reflexes, or having the right kind of gear, whatever way you (want/will) look at it.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Hacks? I don't know or can proove anything.
    But still. I see some really strange things around.
    And i do believe that one cannot aim if FPS drops.

Unfortunately all have FPS drops at some point. Especially (in my case) with 2 Exos in the hive. I just don't bother.
    Moving@ <10 FPS is more a slide show than anything.
    So aiming in there...

I believe that UWE have to get rid of these bugs and reg stuff in the first place.
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They need to implement 1st person spectator. Not only would it solve all these hackers accusations it would allow new players to see how the pros play.
    See the issue is I can spot when someone is getting lucky vs hacking. Generally people don't get lucky so consistently.
    while people often check door entrances there's two sides one where people will hide, one which offers less of an advantage so people won't. essentially there's a 50 50 chance of them spotting me there. If the same person walks in and turns right to the side I'm on 10 times running, even if I switch sides randomly not predictably then it becomes more evident there's a hack in use.

Other ways to check are if you have cloak hide in a stupid spot, obviously exposed but still and cloaked if they walk in and shoot you right away while you're cloaked then something is up.

Or as a skulk dart the person if you can and run, watch them on the hive vision or map and if they are obviously cheating while you move off while out of view some idiots will still track you using the hack through the walls.

Yes there are good players out there and it can seem like hacking but its important to at least give the accusations a small amount of time to check out not brush off.

I have been accused of hacking on other games before. The best thing is to explain how you were able to do that.
    If you got lucky tell them, if you could obviously see them say "Look I could obviously see you". If you explain this then people are generally better about it and will understand.

The funny thing is its often modders / hackers who are the one to go "QQ more you damn noob" or "get better scrub" knowing there is no way to get better than their mod.

If people are fed up of being called out for hacking then tell people how you're able to do what you do, how you heard / saw them or that it was an obvious spot most people stand / hide. Or explain to them they were parasited which is the Alien and perfectly fair game wall hack of sorts
This discussion has been closed.