NS2c

Comments

• YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Something I noticed on the skulk movement is that jumping when on a wall detach you from the wall and you fall to the ground, while in NS1 you would reattach pretty fast.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    At one point you could just hold jump on the wall and its was pretty abuseable, so that might just be some leftover code that needs adjustment.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Something that was really annoying while playing is the alien vision, you don't see spores and stuff with it. You should copy-paste one of the minimal vision mod, it would be a big improvement.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jamin is remaking the aliens playermodels from ns1 you should ask if you could use them
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hadnt seen them, he can post here if hes interesting in helping the mod, still looking to get models re-created.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2041079:date=Dec 6 2012, 12:31 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Dec 6 2012, 12:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hadnt seen them, he can post here if hes interesting in helping the mod, still looking to get models re-created.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The thread named "character models" is his you should ask him
  • RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    Hey Dragon, I believe in NS1 you were able to weld structures to build them faster?

I know in the NS2C you can weld structures and it looks like it's building it but when it gets to 100% it never completes?

Then you have to build normally and it's at the start percentage?

I am also not sure if the welding does build faster or not haven't tested but sounds like a bug?
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is NS2:C dead?

I hope not, it was a lot of fun.

I would love to hear about what progress has been made, if any.
  • ServilcatServilcat Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4897Members
    Nope, there was no welding to build in NS1.

Had a quick go with a friend of this last night and it certainly brought back some memories. :)
    Mod is not dead, just in a small gridlock. Its somewhat difficult to make the mod play like NS1 with the current state of hitregistration in NS2.. Once that is fixed I expect to see more interest in this mod... However there is a version out that runs on the current build and is fully playable.

Fixes/improvements coming range quite largely, there are alot of UI and ease of use tweaks/hints that are needed, and also balance and timing changes potentially. There are some minor bugs, and a couple slightly more impacting that need fixing aswell. Beyond that, I am always looking for help with modelling certain assets.
  • AnimeLOLAnimeLOL Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58275Members
    Hey there, I really enjoyed trying out this mod, but I wanted to bind mwheeldown to jump. Is this feature present? If this isn't implemented yet, there is another mod with this feature added -- perhaps you could use their code? Why can't Max add mwheel sooner than later >_>
    edited December 2012
    Ill hafta look at how its done in other mods to see if its something that can be implemented.. but for the time being you can just hold space to continuously jump.

As another note I have published a small update to fix various flinch/hit sounds, changed hit effects (blood) to be server side, and updated all the sounds to fix the volume issue that happened in a recent NS2 patch (they changed sound volume or something, had to lower everything by ~15db). This was a quick fix to the sounds so some are missing and some dont work correctly (lmg/hmg). I also adjusted many of the melee ranges/cones for better reflection of the class and the expected range/width. They are also now all handled as balance variables to make changes to them more transparent and also easier.
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is anything new happening in this mod? :x
    There are still updates being made, but the current version that is published should be fully playable. I havent been focusing as much on this mod as interest has seemed pretty low :<
  • DTEDTE Join Date: 2004-05-03 Member: 28412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058523:date=Jan 9 2013, 10:15 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jan 9 2013, 10:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058523"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are still updates being made, but the current version that is published should be fully playable. I havent been focusing as much on this mod as interest has seemed pretty low :<<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bummer, I like the idea. Did some testing earlier on one of the servers
    Did just publish a small update to fix onos smash and tweak a bunch of ability ranges, weapons and also made blood effects server side, and also tweaked sounds.
  • Trance420Trance420 Join Date: 2010-03-31 Member: 71135Members
    such a shame every time i play ns2 i see these two classic servers always empty
    <!--quoteo(post=2059139:date=Jan 11 2013, 07:15 AM:name=Trance420)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Trance420 @ Jan 11 2013, 07:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059139"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->such a shame every time i play ns2 i see these two classic servers always empty<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably because there is no awareness yet
  • TechnIckSTechnIckS Join Date: 2007-01-14 Member: 59616Members
    National Gaming . Org will be launching one as well as soon as the mod gets a little more polished. Especially the Heavy, a fewanimations (like the HMG) and the balance is made a little better. We did hours of internal testing and we decided to wait a little more. Classic is by far the game type I personally will be playing the most.
    Is National Gaming the successor of Guns4Back2School by any chance?
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    I'm eyeing this mod, but am waiting for it to be far more developed. I'm sure that once it is completed it will be one of the most popular mods.
  • TechnIckSTechnIckS Join Date: 2007-01-14 Member: 59616Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060350:date=Jan 14 2013, 08:03 AM:name=DTE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DTE @ Jan 14 2013, 08:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is National Gaming the successor of Guns4Back2School by any chance?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Kind of. When we started the community the idea was to get as much of the old gang back as possible. Unfortunately, only a couple ex g4b2s members like myself still play. Magrath and Toughsox are the only ones that still play as far as I know. Regardless though, the community is a success, were playing the game, making a ton of new friends and having a lot of fun.
    Oh yeah, we also award vip status to any ex g4b2s members that still want to play, as long as either myself or another ex g4b2s member can confirm that status.
    I did make a couple small updates to this to hardcode some of the GameStrings since mods still cannot load custom gamestring files yet :<. Getting good custom models is a pretty involving process which is why there is a decent amount of stand-in artwork, especially the heavyarmor. I do think that the mod is pretty playable at this point however, I do not see any issues with gameplay.
    edited January 2013
    Last time I checked I noticed 2 bugs:

- Fade acid rocket doesnt do health damage only armor
    - After getting teleported to the hive with redemption, the onos came back and couldn't damage me anymore
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Mod is completely playable and amazing.

Could you remove the .bat launch file from the workshop Dragon, my host blocks the file and I cannot download it from the workshop for the server.
    Yea i was planning on removing that soonish.

Regarding onos and redemption there was a bug with smash that would cause an assert and do no damage - that has been fixed already tho.
    I will check the acid rocket damage.

Devour is more or less finished at this point also but does need some final testing to confirm its not abusive in any way.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow nice! Are there any european servers running this I can't find any sadly.
  • OwnkruidOwnkruid Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177090Members
    edited January 2013
    Running a EU server since yesterday night. Look up [NL] NS2:C Classic Mod (rookie friendly).

Cya there!
    <!--quoteo(post=2061450:date=Jan 16 2013, 07:52 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jan 16 2013, 07:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yea i was planning on removing that soonish.

Regarding onos and redemption there was a bug with smash that would cause an assert and do no damage - that has been fixed already tho.
    I will check the acid rocket damage.

Devour is more or less finished at this point also but does need some final testing to confirm its not abusive in any way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice!

Will try again tonight!
    As an update to this :

NS2c Patch 5

-Cleaned up many functions designed to scan every X seconds for changes to work based on events.
    -Moved many key variables over to be local instead of global.
    -Corrected LMG and HMG firing sounds, and other sound issues.
    -*Custom sounds currently are not scaled according to Client volume levels, so some sounds may still be quiet. Because of this, many custom sounds were removed/disabled until this is corrected.
    -Added slight delay on command station build completion before is valid for login.
    -Finalized Devour weapon.
    -Additions to DropStructureAbility for webs.
    -Increase ROF of Gore slightly.
    -Added 3 second kill delay.
    -Updated many tooltips and team messages.
    -Spitting hive triggers attack alerts.
    -Removed Onos stooping and auto crouching mechanics.
    -Fixed alien ability triggers not working.
    -Changed weapon weights and added ammunition weights.
    -Added jetpack and heavyarmor weights.
    -Corrected issue with footsteps not triggering from HeavyArmor.
    -Additional smoothing on wallwalking.
    -Added additional logic to better detect and track dropped weapons.
    -Corrected alien spawn time asserts.
    -Fixed missing MT icon.
    -Added minimum velocity to MT detection.
    -First pass at a client side infestation model. Very much a WIP currently, changes default functionality from Rich/Minimal to Enabled/Disabled (menu options dont change). Rich will generate infestation similar to vanilla, and minimal will skip all logic for InfestationUpdates, which should not impact FPS at all.
    -A lot of adjustments to melee cone width, height and ranges, along with tweaks to LMG Shotgun and HMG spreads.
    -Sentries and Robotics Factories are now limited per room (3 sentries 1 robo).
    -Added Ability and Gorges needed team notifications.

It has been a while since the last update, however much of the base gamecode in NS2c is fully or near fully developed. There are many adjustments and tweaks planned, but much of the requirements for those are art or asset related, which is currently an area where we have no active contributors. There have also been some hit detection related issues that negatively impact the gameplay, and those generally are exacerbated in the classic mod as many classes have higher movement speeds. That said, we hope to start having more regular updates again, with more active players and servers.

I am also hoping that maybe with some renewed interest that there may possibly be some scrims or matches on this.