The rise and fall of bunnyhopping

Comments

• TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037092:date=Nov 29 2012, 07:50 AM:name=wulf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wulf @ Nov 29 2012, 07:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037092"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just a quick observation- there have been many bunnyhopping discussions over the years of NS2 development. the faces of those who support it keep coming back and to state their case in support of a game they loved while the majority of the opponents seem to make their case and fade into obscurity to play some other game, being replaced to restart the cycle.

the players that appreciate and desire a mechanic that allows for room to grow even 10 years into a game (a mod at that) will stick by and truly appreciate the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    LOL, just.... LOL.

What else would you like to add? People who like bunnyhop are also much smarter? And more attractive? And they make more money and drive nicer cars?

Drop the pretentious egoism. The only difference between NS players and players of any other game, is that NS players can't seem to shut up about how much better they think they are. It's getting <i>really, really ****ing old</i>.

Why do we act like people still playing a game 10 years later is relevant whatsoever? If someone manages to play the same game for 10 years straight and not get bored, it's more than likely to say that they're <b>ab</b>normal. If someone read the same book every two weeks for ten years straight, they'd be considered a nut.

Will people still playing NS2 10 years from now stop UWE from going out of business in two months?
  • KovenKoven Join Date: 2007-04-20 Member: 60677Members, Constellation
    Yeh we get an advantage over you noobs with bhop cause we spent years perfecting it

What you don't like getting your ass kicked ?

STOP SUCKING THEN.

kids these days want everything for free
    <!--quoteo(post=2037273:date=Nov 29 2012, 05:07 PM:name=Koven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koven @ Nov 29 2012, 05:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037273"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeh we get an advantage over you noobs with bhop cause we spent years perfecting it

STOP SUCKING THEN.

kids these days want everything for free<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So basically, you only want a feature because <b>you</b> are used to it, and to hide the fact that you're scared of change, you talk down to everyone and act like you're somehow a better person.

I would exclude Bhop from NS2 just to cleanse your filth from the game. Go play something else, because all you people do is crap all over a community and drive players away.
  • luminalumina Join Date: 2012-06-15 Member: 153300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037273:date=Nov 29 2012, 11:07 AM:name=Koven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koven @ Nov 29 2012, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037273"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeh we get an advantage over you noobs with bhop cause we spent years perfecting it

STOP SUCKING THEN.

kids these days want everything for free<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you are so good, why do you need strafe jumping? It sounds to me like you are a noob who needs a crutch.

Bad players need these advantages.
    I want a feature that doesn't take an hour to master

& is harder than SPAMMING YOUR SPACEBAR next to a wall

YEH HELLO thar WALLJUMP

I think you're missing the point MATE
    <!--quoteo(post=2037282:date=Nov 30 2012, 01:16 AM:name=lumina)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lumina @ Nov 30 2012, 01:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you are so good, why do you need strafe jumping? It sounds to me like you are a noob who needs a crutch.

Bad players need these advantages.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1v1?
    <!--quoteo(post=2037285:date=Nov 29 2012, 11:17 AM:name=Koven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koven @ Nov 29 2012, 11:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1v1?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How do you 1v1 in this game?

I get aliens...
    <!--quoteo(post=2037287:date=Nov 29 2012, 05:26 PM:name=lumina)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lumina @ Nov 29 2012, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037287"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How do you 1v1 in this game?

I get aliens...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol
  • SpetzSpetz Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7100Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037272:date=Nov 29 2012, 05:05 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 29 2012, 05:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Will people still playing NS2 10 years from now stop UWE from going out of business in two months?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Interesting hypothetical question. I believe that people playing a game 10 years later is a result of having a wildly successful initial game. People are not going to be playing it 10 years later if it's not very good; therefore it will be initially popular and make lots of money.

As it stands, I'm not going to be harping on to my friends about how good NS2 is and how much they should try it. I did for NS1.
  • ToothyToothy ir-regard-less Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13447Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2037262:date=Nov 29 2012, 04:28 PM:name=lumina)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lumina @ Nov 29 2012, 04:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That is a silly jump in logic. The reason you see the same people complaining is because those are the unhappy people. The people who don't want it aren't going to care nearly as much about the subject when it isn't in the game. Put bunnyhopping in and you will see the exact opposite.

I have played since beta and don't want a silly mechanic like that in this game. It was an accident in half life games and there is a reason it wasn't allowed in most of those games competitive play. This isn't unreal tournament. This game uses much more realistic movement. Strafe jumping doesn't add anything to this kind of game.

I also don't agree with those saying this is skill based movement.

1. Most people just used scripts for strafe jumping.

2. It takes much more skill to get close to marines with normal movement and vets start using strafe jumping as a cheap crutch to accomplish this.

My final reason for being against strafe jumping is probably the biggest reason it won't happen. It would most likely take a pretty big change to their engine in order to implement it. I think they have a lot of other stuff to do that would be a much better use of their resources and time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you think it's possible to script bunnyhopping, you don't know what bunnyhopping is.
    It is *impossible* to get close to a good aimer without ambushing them unless you use this form of acceleration, that is why the game ended up being balanced around it.
    And no, it is not hard to get bunnyhopping into NS2, there are already mods people have made which have it.

Zero for three, score 1 for ignorance!
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121930&hl=" target="_blank">not to mention scripting issues have already been discussed, which you would only know if you actually bothered reading the thread.</a>
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037353:date=Nov 29 2012, 01:05 PM:name=Toothy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toothy @ Nov 29 2012, 01:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you think it's possible to script bunnyhopping, you don't know what bunnyhopping is.
    It is *impossible* to get close to a good aimer without ambushing them unless you use this form of acceleration, that is why the game ended up being balanced around it.
    And no, it is not hard to get bunnyhopping into NS2, there are already mods people have made which have it.

Zero for three, score 1 for ignorance!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL

So you tell me that you can't write a script for it, but I'm the one who doesn't know what it is? Pretty funny stuff. Just look at the link from the post below yours. It says " tl;dr it's impossible to time properly, consistently. yes, there are those who did not use either a script or a macro and still were able to bunnyhop effectively in NS1". I don't think you know as much as you think you know.

The rest of your post just proves my point. You have no skill without using an engine exploit. One that was never meant to be there.
  • ToothyToothy ir-regard-less Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13447Members, Constellation
    It is impossible to script bunnyhopping.

If you think it is possible to script bunnyhopping, you do not know how to bunnyhop and you do not know how it works.

Bunnyhopping was intentional in NS1, and buffed by the developers that made the game.

You don't know anything about the development or their intentions regarding bunnyhopping, and you'd do us all a favour if you actually read the numerous posts in this thread already which have stated this.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037368:date=Nov 29 2012, 11:35 AM:name=lumina)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lumina @ Nov 29 2012, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LOL

So you tell me that you can't write a script for it, but I'm the one who doesn't know what it is? Pretty funny stuff. Just look at the link from the post below yours. It says " tl;dr it's impossible to time properly, consistently. yes, there are those who did not use either a script or a macro and still were able to bunnyhop effectively in NS1". I don't think you know as much as you think you know.

The rest of your post just proves my point. You have no skill without using an engine exploit. One that was never meant to be there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it is possible to script the timing of the jumps with a macro.

it isn't possible to script the actual bunnyhopping mouse movements (mostly for practicality reasons, although I'm sure a proof of concept is possible).

you're just showing your ignorance by continuing to post without reading.
    <!--quoteo(post=2037372:date=Nov 29 2012, 01:40 PM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Nov 29 2012, 01:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it is possible to script the timing of the jumps with a macro.

it isn't possible to script the actual bunnyhopping mouse movements (mostly for practicality reasons, although I'm sure a proof of concept is possible).

you're just showing your ignorance by continuing to post without reading.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is the entire challenge of bunnyhopping... You just said that people use scripts, but I am ignorant for saying they use scripts. I really hope this is just a poor trolling attempt...
    <!--quoteo(post=2037370:date=Nov 29 2012, 01:37 PM:name=Toothy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toothy @ Nov 29 2012, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is impossible to script bunnyhopping.

If you think it is possible to script bunnyhopping, you do not know how to bunnyhop and you do not know how it works.

Bunnyhopping was intentional in NS1, and buffed by the developers that made the game.

You don't know anything about the development or their intentions regarding bunnyhopping, and you'd do us all a favour if you actually read the numerous posts in this thread already which have stated this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was not intentional. Do you even know where this game started? You should read up on the half life engine. They probably did make changes to balance around it because they couldn't take it out. It was part of the engine that they used. It wasn't put in by the Natural Selection developers...
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037368:date=Nov 29 2012, 02:35 PM:name=lumina)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lumina @ Nov 29 2012, 02:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LOL

The rest of your post just proves my point. You have no skill without using an engine exploit. One that was never meant to be there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I bound it to mousewheel. The KZ community seems to think that's a good solution. They're highly against scripting, and yet they're highly exploiting this particular aspect of the HL engine, and they're much better at it than any NS player I've ever known. Seriously, they've banned users with world record runs for getting caught with a 3 jump script, and a 3 jump script is VERY mild, all it does it input 3 jump commands from the press of 1 key. I don't know of a single player in NS that scripted bunnyhopping further than effectively simulating what you can do with a mousewheel perfectly fine because they wanted to use a keyboard key for jump rather than their mousewheel. You cannot "script" bunnyhopping, you can only make a script that makes the jumping off the ground part easier if you choose to not use the mousewheel. It's like claiming you have scripted your car to drive for you because it automatically takes off the parking break.
    <!--quoteo(post=2037378:date=Nov 29 2012, 02:48 PM:name=lumina)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lumina @ Nov 29 2012, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037378"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was not intentional. Do you even know where this game started? You should read up on the half life engine. They probably did make changes to balance around it because they couldn't take it out. It was part of the engine that they used. It wasn't put in by the Natural Selection developers...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It was intentional, MANY halflife mods and full halflife games blocked bunnyhopping. NS did as well, for marines. If they had a problem with bunnyhopping and were perfectly capable of blocking it, why did they not?

If you're mapping in hammer, and you compile your map with a section still only in dev textures, and then someone says to you "hey, you've left the dev textures here" and you then say "I like it like that, I'm going to leave it that way", can you say it's unintentional to have dev textures on your map? Of course not. It was a deliberate choice.
    <!--quoteo(post=2037379:date=Nov 29 2012, 01:48 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 29 2012, 01:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bound it to mousewheel. The KZ community seems to think that's a good solution. They're highly against scripting, and yet they're highly exploiting this particular aspect of the HL engine, and they're much better at it than any NS player I've ever known. Seriously, they've banned users with world record runs for getting caught with a 3 jump script, and a 3 jump script is VERY mild, all it does it input 3 jump commands from the press of 1 key. I don't know of a single player in NS that scripted bunnyhopping further than effectively simulating what you can do with a mousewheel perfectly fine because they wanted to use a keyboard key for jump rather than their mousewheel. You cannot "script" bunnyhopping, you can only make a script that makes the jumping off the ground part easier if you choose to not use the mousewheel. It's like claiming you have scripted your car to drive for you because it automatically takes off the parking break.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And you just proved the point. You can't even do it on your own. You need a jump script or to bind jump to your mouse wheel. Where is the skill here?
    I said buffed, not put in. Yes, it was an exploit in half-life, but it's a feature in ns1 and the developers, who bunnyhopped themselves, buffed it in the game code.

You don't gain any speed whatsoever by jumping repeatedly in ns1. You gain speed by strafing and turning, and that cannot be scripted. The only bit which can be scripted is the jumping.

I'm pretty sure I asked you nicely to read posts before you reply :)
    <!--quoteo(post=2037381:date=Nov 29 2012, 01:51 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 29 2012, 01:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037381"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was intentional, MANY halflife mods and full halflife games blocked bunnyhopping. NS did as well, for marines. If they had a problem with bunnyhopping and were perfectly capable of blocking it, why did they not?

If you're mapping in hammer, and you compile your map with a section still only in dev textures, and then someone says to you "hey, you've left the dev textures here" and you then say "I like it like that, I'm going to leave it that way", can you say it's unintentional to have dev textures on your map? Of course not. It was a deliberate choice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you know how they stopped bunnyhopping? Can you explain how that gimped jumping would work with skulks?
    <!--quoteo(post=2037384:date=Nov 29 2012, 01:55 PM:name=Toothy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toothy @ Nov 29 2012, 01:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I said buffed, not put in. Yes, it was an exploit in half-life, but it's a feature in ns1 and the developers, who bunnyhopped themselves, buffed it in the game code.

You don't gain any speed whatsoever by jumping repeatedly in ns1. You gain speed by strafing and turning, and that cannot be scripted. The only bit which can be scripted is the jumping.

I'm pretty sure I asked you nicely to read posts before you reply :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know how it works. You guys are acting like clowns. Everyone I know calls it a bunny hopping script. Sorry if that offends you...

It is a feature they were stuck with and made the best of. It sure doesn't look pike they thought it was a good thing. Have you played the game Natural Selection 2? Have you noticed anything lissing from their own game engine?
    No I have not played NS2, is it good? Does it have a thriving competitive scene full of players eager to improve at both sides? Or a modest competitive scene dominated by NS1 players who vastly prefer playing marines to aliens?
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037398:date=Nov 29 2012, 02:10 PM:name=Toothy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toothy @ Nov 29 2012, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037398"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No I have not played NS2, is it good? Does it have a thriving competitive scene full of players eager to improve at both sides? Or a modest competitive scene dominated by NS1 players who vastly prefer playing marines to aliens?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. Who else would be playing this game competitively right after release? The ones who just bought 2 and had never played 1?

2. Neither Natural Selection has much of a competitive scene. I have been to tons of lans, even making money on some games. Natural Selection never was played at them. I just looked at the leagues. They seem pretty small to me. Sorry if I laugh at your "but this tiny competitive scene(for a game that has been out a long time) is bigger than the other tiny competitive scene(for a game that was just released)"(or whatever your point about NS1 players in this competitive scene is)...

3. What a great counter to what I said. The developers didn't leave it out because they didn't want it. They left it out becausethe NS1 competitive s ene is bigger or more important(or, again, whatever your point about NS1 players is supposed to be)!??? Can't argue with that great comeback.
    edited November 2012
    It wasn't a comeback.

Lying about winning money at lans is not going to impress anyone on these forums. Of course NS1 was not played competitively at lans, it was a tiny scene because it was a mod. I wasn't comparing NS2 to NS1. You would expect this game to have a decent scene shortly after release that consisted of more than just the NS1/beta players.
    Nobody at your level of ignorance will *ever* be good enough at a video game to make money playing one.
    Do you honestly believe that there is a SINGLE earner in cs or q3 or tf history who thinks it's possible to script bunnyhopping?

Your join date suggests you never played NS1, and yet here you are arguing about bunnyhopping in it. Don't argue about things you have absolutely no comprehension of, and then one day people may take you seriously.
    edited November 2012
    there are plenty of ways to remove bunnyhopping from a game if you wanted

probably the easiest way is just to prevent jumping immediately after landing?
    <!--quoteo(post=2037388:date=Nov 29 2012, 02:56 PM:name=lumina)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lumina @ Nov 29 2012, 02:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037388"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you know how they stopped bunnyhopping? Can you explain how that gimped jumping would work with skulks?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There were many halflife games that simply detected when you went over some maximum speed and locked you back at the maximum. That's a perfectly viable solution if your goal is simply to stop the usage of bunnyhopping to get over the maximum speed.
    <!--quoteo(post=2037406:date=Nov 29 2012, 03:22 PM:name=lumina)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lumina @ Nov 29 2012, 03:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Who else would be playing this game competitively right after release? The ones who just bought 2 and had never played 1?

2. Neither Natural Selection has much of a competitive scene. I have been to tons of lans, even making money on some games. Natural Selection never was played at them. I just looked at the leagues. They seem pretty small to me. Sorry if I laugh at your "but this tiny competitive scene(for a game that has been out a long time) is bigger than the other tiny competitive scene(for a game that was just released)"(or whatever your point about NS1 players in this competitive scene is)...

3. What a great counter to what I said. The developers didn't leave it out because they didn't want it. They left it out becausethe NS1 competitive s ene is bigger or more important(or, again, whatever your point about NS1 players is supposed to be)!??? Can't argue with that great comeback.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Natural Selection competitive scene was about the same size as the Battle Field 2 competitive scene in it's prime. It wasn't a big competitive game, but the population density of players vs competitive players was very high for Natural Selection 1
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037383:date=Nov 29 2012, 02:54 PM:name=lumina)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lumina @ Nov 29 2012, 02:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And you just proved the point. You can't even do it on your own. You need a jump script or to bind jump to your mouse wheel. Where is the skill here?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Apparently the skill is in being patient with you. Spamming the jump button doesn't bunnyhop for you any more than lifting the parking break drives the car for you. It's one of many components in a complex action.
    <!--quoteo(post=2037412:date=Nov 29 2012, 02:29 PM:name=Toothy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toothy @ Nov 29 2012, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It wasn't a comeback.

Lying about winning money at lans is not going to impress anyone on these forums. Of course NS1 was not played competitively at lans, it was a tiny scene because it was a mod. I wasn't comparing NS2 to NS1. You would expect this game to have a decent scene shortly after release that consisted of more than just the NS1/beta players.
    Nobody at your level of ignorance will *ever* be good enough at a video game to make money playing one.
    Do you honestly believe that there is a SINGLE earner in cs or q3 or tf history who thinks it's possible to script bunnyhopping?

Your join date suggests you never played NS1, and yet here you are arguing about bunnyhopping in it. Don't argue about things you have absolutely no comprehension of, and then one day people may take you seriously.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was a tiny scene because it was a mod.

Counter Strike was a mod based on the same engine. Counter Strike had, and probably still has, the biggest competitive scene of any game.

Again, LOL...

You can believe whatever you want. I will just continue laughing at the noobs who need an exploit put back in the game because they need their crutch.
This discussion has been closed.