The rise and fall of bunnyhopping

herrsheimerherrsheimer Join Date: 2008-06-06 Member: 64403Members
English is not my language, but this video explain what i feel about skill based movement in ns2.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1HowpVX-hU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1HowpVX-hU</a>

Walljumping is not enough.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    This topic has been discussed.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>herrsheimer:</b></u>

Yep. . . covers most of them

I think the best movement based skill was from Mega TF

People grenade jumping with concussion and flag grenades, people with jetpacks and grapple hooks that worked, people that could jump huge distances as a Heavy using the 20mm cannon
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited November 2012
    There's a community, mostly europeans, that was about the same size of the NS community when NS was "dying" that do what they call "KZ"

Basically, they have made jumping/climbing challenge maps in CS 1.6 and they race on them to the top, the skill of those players at exploiting the movement mechanics of gold source is much much higher than that of any NS player I had ever seen. NS was just a microcosm in the universe of skill based movement in games. Even CS, with it's heavily restricted movement, combined with the strafejump mechanics of goldsource had some incredible things available to players if they cared to master the underlying systems.

I'd really like a movement system in gaming with a similar upper level of depth that doesn't rely on quake airstrafe calculations, For those of us who already mastered them, they make sense, but there's really no sense of "I would have figured this out on my own eventually". Maxing out in that system was almost always a factor of accidentally wandering upon the mechanic that did what you wanted. It never really came out of trying something that was simple or seemed logical.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/XtremeJumpsEU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/user/XtremeJumpsEU</a>
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    kz_cloudwalker for life

it's important to note that even though <strike>Source </strike>and TF2 removed bunnyhopping, they both still have decent skill-based movement (I'm not referring to the rocket / pipe jumps). NS2 doesn't necessarily need bunnyhopping, just <i>something</i>.

oops, I had it backwards. HL2: SP had some weird "hold forward down" bunnyhopping, and no air acceleration, but the MP still retained both.
    Source had bunnyhopping. It seemed like it was a background thing though, other techniques took main stage.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Oh... it's this video again. I love how when CS is mentioned in relation to bhop people like to selectively forget that it was the competitive community (players and leagues) that shunned the mechanic not the devs though valve did come in and mess with sv_airaccelerate in later builds in response (1.1 I think was the first time they tried to limit it?). I still remember getting kicked out of a league back in 1.3 because I did a little 2 hop around a corner on dust.

Seriously, the music in this video you would think the guys cat died.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    it <i>is</i> really sad that skill movement is gone :E
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    edited November 2012
    Ugh, I remember when Valve first started removing bhop. Get a nice bunnyhop going and start to pick up speed then slap you back to normal speed. It was when I was playing TFC and what started killing my interest in the game. Movement just started feeling so sluggish. No more landing off a conc grenade jump as a medic into a super fast bhop :/

And yeah, it was the competitive CS scene that started killing bhop. I hated them for messing with the game I had more fun with in TFC, and so did most people who played TFC with me at the time.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    yeah, games nowdays are all about who sees the other guy first and memorizing spawns, ie: they suck really bad, which is why ns2 is a breath of fresh air even with LIMITED skill-based movement.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Bunnyhopping just makes fun games ridiculous and a joke. Just a bunch of people flying around all over the place. Really takes away from actual gameplay. I for one am very happy to see exploits like bunnyhopping go, just as I'm happy when developers pay attention to suicide console command exploits to "travel" places.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    bunnyhopping / strafejumping is dumb
    this is coming from someone who thinks quake 3 is basically the best-made game of all time
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    Huge difference between using built in splash/explosive physics to conc jump across a map VS a retarded space marine moving quicker for no reason other than exploiting airmovement physics.

There's better ways to put skill ceilings in and games designed entirely for movement skills.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    I've heard every kind of argument about why it was bad, and I don't really care anymore about any of that. Fact is, if you could do it, it was fun as hell. It was sad to see it go.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    RIP good video games.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Love this thread. Only takes a couple of posts before the idiots who don't know anything about anything start spamming it with crap.

<!--quoteo(post=2034812:date=Nov 26 2012, 05:44 AM:name=hus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hus @ Nov 26 2012, 05:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Huge difference between using built in splash/explosive physics to conc jump across a map VS a retarded space marine moving quicker for no reason other than exploiting airmovement physics.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    1. Marine bunnyhopping was extremely limited in NS1 since version 2.0. When people talk about bunnyhopping in NS2, they are talking about bunnyhopping for aliens.
    2. It ceases to be an exploit and becomes a feature when the game is designed and balanced around it, like it was in NS1.

<!--quoteo(post=2034803:date=Nov 26 2012, 05:31 AM:name=include)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (include @ Nov 26 2012, 05:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bunnyhopping just makes fun games ridiculous and a joke. Just a bunch of people flying around all over the place. Really takes away from actual gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In a game full of "a bunch of people flying around all over the place" (walljumping, leap, blink, jetpack to name a few), how does this argument make any sense at all?
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    Wow that music, this topic.. Bringing a tear to my eye.

Bring back bunnyhop for aliens. The realism argument does not apply, because to be realistic we'd need much more input to dictate world physics than simply forward/back/strafe/jump. Movement is such a big part of alien gameplay, there needs to be a high skill ceiling and movement that is unhuman.

Bunnyhop might not be the most "realistic" but it has always been the best way to bridge that gap of possible enhanced mechanics with just wasd input, to create a skill based movement.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It might be interesting, if it's restricted enough to not become stupid.
  • AzathothAzathoth Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166149Members
    I love bunny hopping and all that ###### as much as the next guy (I don't even move normally in painkiller, just jumping everywhere) but I think the current walljump mechanics are more than satisfactory, no change needed.
    <!--quoteo(post=2034853:date=Nov 26 2012, 12:32 AM:name=Azathoth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azathoth @ Nov 26 2012, 12:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034853"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love bunny hopping and all that ###### as much as the next guy (I don't even move normally in painkiller, just jumping everywhere) but I think the current walljump mechanics are more than satisfactory, no change needed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I like wall jumping as a concept more than bunnyhopping, but it has a long way to go, it's very weak right now in terms of the "advantage" you gain by being absurdly well practiced with it.

Marine movement in NS2 is pretty much just brain dead and bad. I really don't like it. NS marine movement looked pretty silly, but it was amazingly high skill, and that made it very cool.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034842:date=Nov 26 2012, 05:16 AM:name=wulf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wulf @ Nov 26 2012, 05:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034842"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow that music, this topic.. Bringing a tear to my eye.

Bring back bunnyhop for aliens. The realism argument does not apply, because to be realistic we'd need much more input to dictate world physics than simply forward/back/strafe/jump. Movement is such a big part of alien gameplay, there needs to be a high skill ceiling and movement that is unhuman.

Bunnyhop might not be the most "realistic" but it has always been the best way to bridge that gap of possible enhanced mechanics with just wasd input, to create a skill based movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So why BHop and not something else?
    edited November 2012
    it's quite sad when every skilled Lerk dodges the exact same way, and the process of not dying comes simply down to choosing your engagements.
    @Azatoth: every skilled Skulk basically walljumps the same exact way as well, so that's why a change is necessary.

Temphage, I'd love to see another form of skill movement added that isn't air acceleration or bunnyhop, but see below:

<!--quoteo(post=2034812:date=Nov 25 2012, 08:44 PM:name=hus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hus @ Nov 25 2012, 08:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's better ways to put skill ceilings in and games designed entirely for movement skills.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    which (competitive FPS) titles are you thinking of?

O Unreal had dodging and walljumps, which was passable. I didn't play it myself but I watched a lot of movies, it looked sufficiently deep.

O Painkiller's movement had bunnyhopping in the form of simply holding forward (similar to HL2: SP). no air acceleration or skill basis in the bunnyhopping itself, but there were crazy moves you could do with dodging that made for great skill-based gameplay.

O TF2 also comes to mind, particularly scout vs. scout.

I don't really know of too many other successful games that removed air acceleration / bunnyhop.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    Bunnyhopping was part of Natural Selection culture and I definitely miss it.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    I've been playing skilled-based games for decades notably the UT series for like 7 years and imo the "best" skill-based movement system is in Warsow <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9djsllJ1E58&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9djsllJ1E58&hd=1</a>
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y6t07VID4w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y6t07VID4w</a>

Now I mean best by best implementation not most fun or most complex or anything like that. If I had to say most fun I'd say TF. Warsow combines quake physics and adds dodging and wall-jumping using a special key and a system that is really easy to learn and does not require amazing knowledge of angles or months of practice to achieve. All it takes is a youtube video and you can move well enough to play against pros.
    It's not just the ability to gain momentum by jumping aka bhopping alone that makes it special, there are a lot of other unique quirks of the quake engine such as strafing angles, ramps, and walls and how they play into player physics which NS1 also had that made it really awesome. NS2's movement system is simple in its current state, but it's unfortunately shallow and definitely not the correct way to bring advanced movement to the beginner level, that's what warsow handles differently and correctly.
    If UWE took the gsrc movement and improved it, it should be better both for new and pro players, but NS2 walljump is neither, therefore it's a huge step backwards from NS1 and overall because of how important it was in NS1, NS2 is a step backwards from NS1 following that logic.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I guess I'm a bit disappointed that they removed bhop, but brought in a feature that still carries over most of the controversial aspects and only sort of works.

I think I'd be fine if they figured out something completely different and built the gaming experience around that. Now it's a bit stuck in the middle and not getting all the way to any desirable situation.
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    You guys (and the video maker) never heard of Tribes Ascend?
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    "press shift to run faster" huehuheu brazil best skilled movement system ever.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The air control of goldsource feels much better than the one of NS2, I'm not speaking about gaining speed, but just the way you move when you are in the air. They implemented it in NS2c and it does feel really good (http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121482).

So even without the gain of speed that allow bhop, I would still copy goldsource air control.
  • rook2pawnrook2pawn Join Date: 2008-07-03 Member: 64552Members
    i don't know about you, but i feel like even at super high FPS, movement in NS2 feels like moving in oatmeal or thick fog... movement in NS1 felt crisp, clean, precise, exact.

In NS1 if you got a better mouse that had slighter higher DPI/tacitility you immediately benefitted from it.. In NS2, its just more oatmeal. I've been playing NS2 and not convinced im sticking around, even having logged almost 12,000 hours of NS1.
  • SuecoSueco Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166309Members
    I have nothing against the idea of skill-based movement, but bunnyhopping looks insanely retarded. If you are really serious about bringing back a skill curve to movement, propose something that doesn't make the game look like a sunday morning cartoon.
This discussion has been closed.