Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 230 is now live on Steam

Comments

• DarkhandDarkhand Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3012Members
    3 Hives Onos = Good Idea

Sorry about the alien's being upset that they need 3 hives. But from what I've seen XO > Onos. Between overheating and needing someone to constantly run around behind you with a welder it's not that great of a deal.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    crags heal stacking is still way too crazy. If it weren't for ARCs a properly defended hive would be invincible just because of the stacking crag heal. Had a GL and it took all my ammo to kill a hydra around the corner.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2030438:date=Nov 20 2012, 08:55 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Nov 20 2012, 08:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ftfy<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i don't understand... are you implying that incompetent marines fare better than incompetent fades?

because incompetent marines can't even kill incompetent skulks...
  • sdelcossdelcos Join Date: 2005-01-11 Member: 34994Members
    I've played a few games and I'm not sure why but the alien upgrades feel right. Crags and arent incredibly op right now but still useful and regen isn't broken. I've also noticed a few new vents in several maps which allow marines way to easy access to some areas (Maintenance-generator-stability vent I'm looking at you). Fade swipe after blink SEEMS to have been fixed, but it might just be me feeling awesome after snatching a jetpacker midair. Frankly the only thing that upsets me a bit are some of the map changes.

Overall the game feels right for me now and I am glad to see the very dull strategy of 2 hive Tres onos.
    it's because incompetent fades and lerks are useless. That's why so many new players want them buffed lol.
  • Luke111Luke111 Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170009Members
    Big bug stopping me from playing: Can not bind any commands to L. As i play left handed this means i cant move backwards! Game running on win 7 64bit home premium. Have tried verifying cache, and reinstalling game, no change. Also i get disconnected from every game after 10 to 20 minutes without fail. I have only ever finished a game when i joined late. My connection is fine, this is the only game it happens in.
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    There is a (quite large) invisible box in the hallway between turbine/conduit or conduit/smelting on Refinery (I don't remember which). Try walking across the wall and you will find it. That should be fixed.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2030482:date=Nov 20 2012, 04:36 PM:name=Luke111)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Luke111 @ Nov 20 2012, 04:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Big bug stopping me from playing: Can not bind any commands to L. As i play left handed this means i cant move backwards! Game running on win 7 64bit home premium. Have tried verifying cache, and reinstalling game, no change. Also i get disconnected from every game after 10 to 20 minutes without fail. I have only ever finished a game when i joined late. My connection is fine, this is the only game it happens in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you have to manually edit the config, i know its a pain in the A. i had to do that too since for some reason they feel the need to hard bind keys instead of letting me bind my own in the menu
  • morpherubianmorpherubian Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167325Members
    edited November 2012
    I m always disgusted by temporary "solutions" which suck more than the intitial problem. (3 Hive Onos)
    this game has reminded me of an old HL 1 mod called desert crisis. lol some of you know where im going with this.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2030508:date=Nov 20 2012, 09:49 PM:name=morpherubian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (morpherubian @ Nov 20 2012, 09:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030508"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I m always disgusted by temporary "solutions" which suck more than the intitial problem. (3 Hive Onos)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

care to elaborate on why it sucks more than the initial problem?

because i think most people here believed that tres onos before pres onos was a dumb mechanic.

onos wasn't even fun to play before... it was just running around like a locomotive, flattening all the marines who get in your way... that's about as much fun as loading up explore mode and jumping up and down on eggs as an exosuit.

at least now the onos is in such a place that it can actually be enjoyable to play, because you feel that you actually deserve to have it.
    edited November 2012
    Here is what I want to see in the next patch :

- removal of glancing blow from fade
    - fade energy pool increased
    - fade blink cost decreased
    - fade shadowstep cost increased (past 229 amount)
    - lerk poison damage not effected by glancing blows
    - lerk energy pool increased
    - lerk spike cost increased
    - large amount of diminishing returns to crag heal stacking
    - skulk walljump change reverted
    - skulk walljump also gains some momentum going forward as well as downward with a maximum amount gained through forward momentum
    - volume slider for ambient sounds
    - removal of obnoxious celerity sound effect

thanks.

I have my volume as low as possible to still hear skulks, and some ambient sounds are still loud enough to give me a headache and damage my ears. This is crazy.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fade energy increased? seriously? currently you can spam the crap outta blink I dont see why youd want more energy...
    <!--quoteo(post=2030523:date=Nov 20 2012, 04:59 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Nov 20 2012, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030523"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade energy increased? seriously? currently you can spam the crap outta blink I dont see why youd want more energy...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    because it take FOUR SWIPES to kill a single marine, so you tell me because i havent played the new version yet. do fades have enough energy, to block in, swipe, blink up, swipe some more, blick up or blink away to avoid getting 2-3 shotted?

because it sounds to me that they dont.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2030523:date=Nov 20 2012, 05:59 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Nov 20 2012, 05:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030523"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade energy increased? seriously? currently you can spam the crap outta blink I dont see why youd want more energy...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Too much energy is spent on attacking and imo it was correct to say that blink energy use should have been lowered instead of shadowstep. Not a fan of buffing fade hp either which I feel like is something that might happen instead.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    4 swipes if they have a3... honestly ive played fade alot and never have energy issues, even playing pubs against exos.. and I never get adren.

Only change I saw to fades energy was an increase to the blink start cost to 12 from 8, but shadowstep went down 5 so it balances out IMO.

Fade needs 50 more hp honestly, but any more than that is too much.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    needs more vert shadow step
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Blink and Shadowstep serve similar functions, but favoring Blink makes Fades weaker at hive 1. Between the two of them I think Shadowstep is more useful for juking in combat, whereas Blink is better for escapes or bigger movements - I don't want Shadow Step nerfed unless Fades are made considerably tankier.
    edited November 2012
    yeah i hate using fade without adrenaline + blink.

trying to escape when you're low hp without both of those = bad times. but with both adrenaline and blink, fade is almost unkillable...

but i suppose that makes builds more interesting... shift, shade and crag hive all have super powerful upgrades... if you plan to go fast fades then you might want to skip camo and get gorges, lerks and fades on the field to benefit from adrenaline :P
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Conceptually I think it would be cool if Blink were more powerful and even more costly on energy, i.e. make it invisible/invincible again and able to pass through marines, but with a heavy energy cost. Shadow Step and Double Jump are reasonable substitutes for NS1's Blink as the Fade's spammable mobility tools - that opens up Blink itself to be more of a special ability rather than just yet another way to move fast.
  • AnimeLOLAnimeLOL Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58275Members
    Listen to the people that made NS1 a great, balanced game: bring back bunnyhop and make skulks smaller.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2030604:date=Nov 21 2012, 07:15 AM:name=AnimeLOL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AnimeLOL @ Nov 21 2012, 07:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Listen to the people that made NS1 a great, balanced game: bring back bunnyhop and make skulks smaller.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

walljump > bunny hop.

SKulks could be smaller though.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Performance seems to be worse for quite a number of people
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2030562:date=Nov 21 2012, 09:35 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 21 2012, 09:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Conceptually I think it would be cool if Blink were more powerful and even more costly on energy, i.e. make it invisible/invincible again and able to pass through marines, but with a heavy energy cost. Shadow Step and Double Jump are reasonable substitutes for NS1's Blink as the Fade's spammable mobility tools - that opens up Blink itself to be more of a special ability rather than just yet another way to move fast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

espcially now, the current blink makes you move slower than shadow step - sure you its uninterrupted movement but shadow step is an instant dodge.

totally agree that blink needs to make you actually dissappear so that marines can't shoot you (and you also take no damage while holding the blink button). It also means adrenaline would more useful for fade - instead of everone just using celerity.

blinking through players/structures would be epic too - i'd totally want that as a 3rd upgrade instead boretex, i mean vortex.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2030687:date=Nov 21 2012, 12:33 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Nov 21 2012, 12:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1

espcially now, the current blink makes you move slower than shadow step - sure you its uninterrupted movement but shadow step is an instant dodge.

totally agree that blink needs to make you actually dissappear so that marines can't shoot you (and you also take no damage while holding the blink button). It also means adrenaline would more useful for fade - instead of everone just using celerity.

blinking through players/structures would be epic too - i'd totally want that as a 3rd upgrade instead boretex, i mean vortex.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

meh i don't really like the idea of fade either being 100% able to escape (with invulnerable blink) or dead in the water (no energy to blink).

at least with current blink it's cheap enough (with adrenaline) that you can basically fly along 3 axis and it does help a lot with escaping as long as you don't leave it too late.

it's even better on defense when you have a shift in the room - because i think you can blink 100% of the time with the shift energy regen.
    Actually, another crazy idea... What if Blink were just a teleport again? Would that be better than what we have now? The only reason that got ditched is because it sucked for combat, but that won't be an issue anymore with Shadow Step.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    But didn't it suck for both sides though? Marines and Aliens? Plus a teleporting blink will cause alot of grief amongst those who recently brought Natural Selection 2.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    Is there a new patch? Just updated
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    I'm kinda confused by people finding b230 fade bad, or even worse than lerk. Blink got a significant buff this build and it's movement is back to being much more skill indexed. So give it some time guys, practice and play with blink and shadowstep a bit more - it's actually very fast, powerful, and unpredictable (speed difference between blink and shadowstep works in your favour, not the marines).

Blink energy costs are also in a pretty decent place. New player tip: You're supposed to tap blink now. *I like this ns1 direction because it means you're minimizing the ammount of time fade spends as a transparent blue ball, so playing against marines is more a battle of skill instead of "oh hai, i appear and kill you now".
    edited November 2012
    It's because fade did not get easier to play, in fact it got harder. People that are bad at fade and lerk will still say they are really underpowered and aliens are more difficult to win as, even though none of this is true. If UWE wanted to skew the win/loss % to towards marine team, all they have to do is give sentry guns to aliens so that they can waste their resources to lose just like marines do...