Will Black armor ever go on Steam as DLC sale?

Comments

• maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    I don think they should offer any more rine skins both delux and black should be exclusive to people with faith. I proudly have black armor and would happily support them in future endeavors. If they do offer skin rewards in the future I think they should offer alien skins.
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    On a Q&A Flayra has said "absolutely not" to giving out more black armor... so there.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2026167:date=Nov 16 2012, 02:00 PM:name=Know pain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Know pain @ Nov 16 2012, 02:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone else getting virus attacks when they try to open up this thread on page 2?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not, but I have to assume it's coming from those pictures.. i'll delete them and leave links with a warning.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I've suggested tattoos (stylishly done of course) for the aliens. I think they'd be awesome personally, if done right. Different color aliens would be kind of ridiculous...
  • TwinTwin Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168597Members
    I love completing my games and having all the content. So it makes me sad that this Black Armour will never be available to me.
    And the really annoying thing is that this was only offered <b>years ago</b> before I even knew of Natural Selection.

Honestly, I hope this pseudo-value placed on skins backfires on you and UWE start releasing hats and trading. TF2 style.

:l
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2026223:date=Nov 16 2012, 03:08 PM:name=Twin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twin @ Nov 16 2012, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026223"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love completing my games and having all the content. So it makes me sad that this Black Armour will never be available to me.
    And the really annoying thing is that this was only offered <b>years ago</b> before I even knew of Natural Selection.

Honestly, I hope this pseudo-value placed on skins backfires on you and UWE start releasing hats and trading. TF2 style.

:l<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pseudo Value? They paid $15 extra for the game in order to get that skin, and they did it at a point in time when there wasn't even a game to play in return for the money they spent. I think that kind of support is pretty valuable, and devaluing the reward they got in return wouldn't be fair in the slightest to those players who have been dedicated to this game since alpha. This has nothing to do with TF2's hat and trading system, and this game will never have a system implemented like TF2's.
  • AnonUserAnonUser Join Date: 2010-11-12 Member: 74881Members
    As someone who bought the game at a premium price before it was even a game, and getting the black armor as both proof and thanks, i would get pissed if they turned around and sold it for a few bucks.

It would ruin the entire idea of it. It would completely devalue it. Sure it sucks if you didn't know about the game and you can't get it, that's even partially the idea. But that doesn't really make it okay to suggest that that means it would be okay to make the entire thing useless for people who took a leap of faith, just so you can get it.

I would be okay with the selling new, serious, skins ( read: Not ones that don't fit into the game ). Since these skins could never mean the same or have the same emotional value.

Long story short; Black Armor is for people who supported an idea, not people who want it to look as awesome as them.
    <!--quoteo(post=2026232:date=Nov 16 2012, 11:15 PM:name=ritualsacrifice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ritualsacrifice @ Nov 16 2012, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pseudo Value?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes.

<!--quoteo(post=2026232:date=Nov 16 2012, 11:15 PM:name=ritualsacrifice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ritualsacrifice @ Nov 16 2012, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They paid $15 extra for the game in order to get that skin, and they did it at a point in time when there wasn't even a game to play in return for the money they spent. I think that kind of support is pretty valuable, and <i><b>devaluing</b></i> the reward they got in return wouldn't be fair in the slightest to those players who have been dedicated to this game since alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is interesting, you've assigned an actual value of $15 to the skin. So the only possible way that it could be 'devalued' is if the skin was sold as a DLC for less than $15, correct?
    The other attribute you've assigned to the skin is age.
    Hmm... <!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro--><b>Vintage</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> digital items.. where have I seen that before... *coff*TF2*coff*

<!--quoteo(post=2026232:date=Nov 16 2012, 11:15 PM:name=ritualsacrifice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ritualsacrifice @ Nov 16 2012, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This has nothing to do with TF2's hat and trading system, and this game will never have a system implemented like TF2's.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not yet ;)

<!--quoteo(post=2026238:date=Nov 16 2012, 11:20 PM:name=AnonUser)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AnonUser @ Nov 16 2012, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would be okay with the selling new, serious, skins ( read: Not ones that don't fit into the game ). Since these skins could never mean the same or have the same emotional value.

Long story short; Black Armor is for people who supported an idea, not people who want it to look as awesome as them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Now this is very interesting, you've assigned a philosophy and some emotional value to the skin!
    I'm intrigued by this. Since the skin's appearance doesn't mean as much to you as supporting the idea behind it - does that mean you'd be just as content if you had a gold star displayed next to your name on the scoreboard that signified to others that you had donated before the game even existed?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    A bit of an odd comparison there, clearly a star is a quite a bit less awesome then a Spec-Ops Early investors skin/model, which you can actually walk around with in game, now isn't it :)
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026232:date=Nov 16 2012, 07:15 PM:name=ritualsacrifice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ritualsacrifice @ Nov 16 2012, 07:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This has nothing to do with TF2's hat and trading system, and this game will never have a system implemented like TF2's.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nothing to do? The steam inventory system available for all steam cloud games like NS2? Yea that's unlikely to happen, for a steam game to have the steam inventory system. So unlikely it would be stupid not to have one if it was possible to implement.
  • AnonUserAnonUser Join Date: 2010-11-12 Member: 74881Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2026284:date=Nov 17 2012, 12:48 AM:name=Twin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twin @ Nov 17 2012, 12:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026284"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now this is very interesting, you've assigned a philosophy and some emotional value to the skin!
    I'm intrigued by this. Since the skin's appearance doesn't mean as much to you as supporting the idea behind it - does that mean you'd be just as content if you had a gold star displayed next to your name on the scoreboard that signified to others that you had donated before the game even existed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In theory, if that was what i got back then yes, but it wasn't. So i don't see where you are going with this... Will agree with the other guy the skin is a bit more awesome than a star though.

Edit: It really has nothing to do with what the reward is in itself. But what it symbolizes and what it wouldn't symbolize if you just sold it to anyone now.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->You'd think the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121431" target="_blank">stickied thread</a> at the top of this forum would put an end to these threads. Kouji, consider adding a line of big red text saying "NO BLACK ARMOUR FOR YOU!"

That said, I believe UWE mentioned they still have one other unique marine armour set which they haven't used or revealed yet. Charlie has said in the past that he loves the TF2 business model, so it seems likely we'll be able to purchase marine armour and alien skins (not hats!) as DLC in future.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2026334:date=Nov 17 2012, 12:45 AM:name=Kallistrate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kallistrate @ Nov 17 2012, 12:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Kouji, consider adding a line of big red text saying "NO BLACK ARMOUR FOR YOU!"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Done [edit]Well... Hehe I type done but then I saw what you wrote. I was a bit more tactful I hope :P
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Haha. Much better now. :P<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2012
    I think an important thing to note about black armor.... Is that NS2 probably wouldn't exist (certainly not in its current state). Without the support of the black armour special edition pre-orders. So it wasn't just "they got there first", it is more of a "they helped to fund and build the game itself".
  • zzzfingernailzzzzzzfingernailzzz Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171935Members
    Wait whats stopping someone from just taking the files and uploading them as a mod?
    <!--quoteo(post=2026435:date=Nov 17 2012, 02:41 AM:name=zzzfingernailzzz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zzzfingernailzzz @ Nov 17 2012, 02:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026435"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait whats stopping someone from just taking the files and uploading them as a mod?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Doesn't work like that :)
  • drilltoothdrilltooth Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170096Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026435:date=Nov 16 2012, 06:41 PM:name=zzzfingernailzzz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zzzfingernailzzz @ Nov 16 2012, 06:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026435"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait whats stopping someone from just taking the files and uploading them as a mod?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    well, if they want to feel special, they could, theoretically, I suppose, but the rest of us will just see them as plain old green suiters or,the slightly bulkier "redshirt" armour if they bought later like I did. and, might be issues with servers and your files not matching.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Thanx ritual, I see I have been getting mixed up between black and deluxe.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    they gonna make green armour DLC for onos. make sure you buy it dlc lovers.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2026310:date=Nov 16 2012, 04:16 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Nov 16 2012, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nothing to do? The steam inventory system available for all steam cloud games like NS2? Yea that's unlikely to happen, for a steam game to have the steam inventory system. So unlikely it would be stupid not to have one if it was possible to implement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, your large e-peen and superior intellect has thoroughly convinced me the errors of my ways. I can sleep easy now knowing that never again will I confuse anyone by talking about the random loot drops and cosmetic items stores that TF2 has implemented. Thank you verily, good sir.
    <!--quoteo(post=2026434:date=Nov 17 2012, 02:40 AM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Nov 17 2012, 02:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think an important thing to note about black armor.... Is that NS2 probably wouldn't exist (certainly not in its current state). Without the support of the black armour special edition pre-orders. So it wasn't just "they got there first", it is more of a "they helped to fund and build the game itself".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's kinda like the Age of Chivalry mod going on KickStarter and giving away special helmets/armours at certain pledge levels for their Chivalry Medieval Warfare game. Bad luck if you didn't hear about their KickStarter project because now those armours are no longer available.

When you consider how many thousands of games are available on the market (let alone indie mods),
    it's <b>impossible</b> to keep track of Pre-Order/Special Edition/Exclusive Club Access/VIP Membership offers.

I guess this Pre-Order DLC nonsense has just become a standard feature of game releases.
    Certain games have some really odd criteria for collecting DLCs - the region in which you live, which store you bought from etc.
    They're basically saying, "We value <i>these</i> customers over these ones. But support us regardless!"

<!--quoteo(post=2026334:date=Nov 17 2012, 12:45 AM:name=Kallistrate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kallistrate @ Nov 17 2012, 12:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->You'd think the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121431" target="_blank">stickied thread</a> at the top of this forum would put an end to these threads. Kouji, consider adding a line of big red text saying "NO BLACK ARMOUR FOR YOU!"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think if customers keep raising the issue that they're wanting to pay for a skin... maybe someone will listen?
    Most businesses would take note, I mean, there's free profits to be gained from selling an existing texture.

This in turn would help support UWE (who doesn't want that?) and maybe even help towards developing NS3.
    (read: Where do I sign-up for my pre-pre-beta-pre-alpha NS3 Gold Plated Iridescent Armour donation?)

I assume the only individuals (egos) that would be hurt by the Black Armour Skin release would be the existing owners of it?
    It's sad that these exclusivity barriers exist within our hobbies, but that's just human demeanour and society in general I guess :l
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Isn't there a few 'black armours' on workshop already? for the vanilla, deluxe, and exo models anyway.
  • cyhawkcyhawk Join Date: 2004-06-12 Member: 29256Members
    Honestly, it should never be a DLC. I paid $40 for this game for the black armor years ago. (5 or so). Seriously, no.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Egos? Given there was only an incomplete features list to sell the Special Edition back in late 2009 early 2010, to preorder an almost non-existent game had to have its reward, it wasn't until around half a year later did we sample our first stages of Alpha if I recall correctly. That Black Armour is gone for good and with very good reason. Just be a little bit more patient, I'm sure there will be more DLC models you can purchase or win.
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
    I really wouldn't mind if there was some classy skins or aestetic add-ons sold on steam.. it's just more money for the servers to keep running and to pay some dudes who made a cool game. If it's not garish and dumb like the TF2 hats, shouldn't be a big deal at all. Some kill-counts in chalk on the helmets, beards, alien (or human) blood splatter on the armor, etc.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Black armor wasn't given to some secret group of super special people. Anyone could get it back then. If you didn't know about it you've got no one but yourself to blame. We are not responsible for keeping you up to date on everything.
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    I vote no on black armor as DLC because I too am one of those kind and trusty fellows who paid good money for NS2 Special Edition (black armor and devs' eternal gratitude) even before alpha and wooden target dummies.
  • appLEjuiceappLEjuice Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160926Members
    Hmm, tough topic...

I'd say I agree that Black Armour (=BA, f*** the American spelling by the way xD) should indeed be and remain exclusive to the pre-beta-pre-alpha-pre-birth-of-Christ-pre-orders.
    If you were soooo much into NS1 that you were stalking the website and were willing to spend money on something that might not ever happen; you deserve that kind of small reward!

Unfortunately that means for me that I'm never getting BA, but I don't mind... I actually like seeing some rare individual in game with BA and go like; woooow you helped support this game from like the beginning! :D
    If people want to pay for DLC Armours, sure; give them the normal, standard armor, just painted black; (BA has a lot of extras on the helmet etc etc. So a "el-cheapo" version I wouldn't mind, if you're willing to walk around looking like a cheap faker; be my guest).

But then I saw a post from >insert-name-here-to-be-edited-later< suggesting you might be able to WIN a BA...
    Hmm indeed, that actually does sound like a fair deal! BA is an exclusive reward for those who meant a difference for the game, who supported it in a great way..! So I wouldn't oppose (a very limited and exclusive number of chances) winning BA... For example; during a competition where the best new map and the best NS2 mod each win that BA, I'd agree with that...

By the way; NS3 >IS< happening!
    No; It's >NOT< confirmed!
    No; It's >NOT< official!
    No; You >CANNOT< pre-order for NS3 BA :p
    Yes; I >COULD< tell you how I know, but I won't :D
    Heh, I find it tragically ironic that the opposition to releasing the Black Armor skin comes mainly from the people who were given it for being 'supporters' of the project!
    Yet these 'supporters' don't want anyone else to support UWE the same way they did?

<!--quoteo(post=2026759:date=Nov 17 2012, 11:45 AM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Nov 17 2012, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026759"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Black armor wasn't given to some secret group of super special people. Anyone could get it back then. If you didn't know about it you've got no one but yourself to blame. We are not responsible for keeping you up to date on everything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This comment is odd. I've already explained it's <b>impossible</b> to keep track of thousands of games with pre-order offers, let alone indie mods and non-existant games.
    When the game was ready and available for purchase, none of these new players were given an option to have a complete version of the game which included the Black Armour. Therefore not all players are being treated equally.
    And for a multiplayer only game - you <b>need</b> to treat your player base equally.

<!--quoteo(post=2026779:date=Nov 17 2012, 12:10 PM:name=appLEjuice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (appLEjuice @ Nov 17 2012, 12:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But then I saw a post from >insert-name-here-to-be-edited-later< suggesting you might be able to WIN a BA...
    Hmm indeed, that actually does sound like a fair deal! BA is an exclusive reward for those who meant a difference for the game, who supported it in a great way..! So I wouldn't oppose (a very limited and exclusive number of chances) winning BA... For example; during a competition where the best new map and the best NS2 mod each win that BA, I'd agree with that...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is an interesting concept.
    It would make sense to reward actively <b>useful</b> members of the community who help the game thrive and grow (through maps/models/skins/mods/videos etc).
    And it also allows an avenue for <b>new fans</b> (you'll need these btw) to acquire the complete Natural Selection 2 game (containing all assets).
    I've witnessed a few great FPS/RTS bloom and wilt (like Savage 2 and Nuclear Dawn) and the only thing that keeps them going is the community.
    Being elitist and fragmenting a community really does the game no favours in the long run.
This discussion has been closed.