Natural Selection Classic

GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">NS1 mod for NS2</div>Hey everyone

Patch 3 of Natural selection 2 Classic mod has been released and is up to date for the current version of the game.
I have been getting some questions lately about this mod so I decided to write a post about it.

NS2 Classic is a close recreation of the popular half-life mod Natural Selection 1. Instead of making a exact copy of the old game the mod will not only take some great features from ns2, it will also be getting constant improvements and new features to make both public play and competitive play fun and viable. You can see more info <a href="http://ns2cmodpreview.com/" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a>

If you miss being able to relocate as marines or build structures as gorge then you will be glad to hear we have already brought all of that back. We also have the old heavies, hmg's, teleporting between hives and more. You can see a teaser <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rc7-dt6i3Nw" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a> we made awhile ago.

There is no download required to play this mod. The only thing you have to do is find a server with the mod active and join it, steam workshop will take care of the rest.
To find modded servers you need to uncheck the mod filter and type Classic in game type. That should give you a list of all active servers running NS2:C.

NS2:C is still work in progress but you can expect regular updates with improvements and changes. We do listen carefully to all feedback given so please ask away if there are any questions.

Hope you guys will enjoy it :).

We are currently looking for a modeler/animator to help with the project. If you are interested and have the skillset, please contact me.

<a href="http://www.ns2cmod.com/" target="_blank">http://www.ns2cmod.com/</a> - NS2 Classic Homepage
<a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2c" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2c</a> - Public steam group that anyone can join.

Comments

• kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am very interested in checking this out, good on you for taking the time to make this mod, I look forward to seeing it's progress.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • The HitchslapThe Hitchslap Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167133Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'd love to play this but I find only 1 server and it's empty...... help anyone!!
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Modded servers are very low profile right now, you basically need to find out about the mod online and filter servers for it explicitly. The combat mod is dead too for this reason. I think it would be cool if the Game Type filter were a dropdown that included prominent mods like this and Combat.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I will be watching this mod closely. I really miss how creative you could be in NS1. NS2 gameplay just feels like the same thing over and over while NS1 always had quirky things that could change everything. Also, I LOVE that the Gorge can actually build useful things again.
  • Matt4Matt4 Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75199Members
    Ill have to give this a go! While I really like you guys doing this, my fondest hope is the devs will swing the game more in this direction anyway.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited November 2012
    The only thing I care about is bunnyhopping. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it has to actually work somewhat as expected. Otherwise I'll still be going back to good old NS.
  • dota girldota girl Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167954Members
    I tried it for a bit, it was neat but still a lot of work ahead
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2014571:date=Nov 7 2012, 05:48 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 7 2012, 05:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2014571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only thing I care about is bunnyhopping. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it has to actually work somewhat as expected. Otherwise I'll still be going back to good old NS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bunnyhopping works almost the same, main difference is that you need to hold W while doing it. Makes it more accessible.
  • OmmiOmmi Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168327Members
    Score !, been looking forward to this !
  • AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    edited November 2012
    You guys should make the infestation automatically grow around hives and structures, while not being required to place them. It feels weird without it, since NS1 had textured infestation on the maps at least.

Also NS1's lighting was a lot darker, if you want to replicate the feel of it a little better making the lights a little dimmer would go a long way towards that.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    hey guys,

just sort your server list by "game" and you will immediately see all combat and classic servers.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2015530:date=Nov 8 2012, 05:54 PM:name=Bloodshot12)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bloodshot12 @ Nov 8 2012, 05:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys should make the infestation automatically grow around hives and structures, while not being required to place them. It feels weird without it, since NS1 had textured infestation on the maps at least.

Also NS1's lighting was a lot darker, if you want to replicate the feel of it a little better making the lights a little dimmer would go a long way towards that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

THIS.

Without chains of cysts, it shouldn't affect performance much.
  • BuckfastBuckfast Join Date: 2012-09-08 Member: 158627Members
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This mod is awesome, I hope more people check it out.
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    amazing. it's a little buggy, but EVERYTHING feels so much better.
  • hatehate Join Date: 2011-07-19 Member: 111206Members
    I need to try this. I played NS1 when I was a kid but I don't remember it that well, and I've heard this is awesome. When is the server typically populated?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is pretty fantastic.
  • BootyPoppinBootyPoppin Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166803Members
    Sadly not a lot of people playing.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is exactly what Charlie wanted for NS2.

Glad people are enjoying modding and hats of to UWE and the great community.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Maybe we should organize some play time, like pinging everybody on the steam group or something.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2016750:date=Nov 9 2012, 05:29 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Nov 9 2012, 05:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016750"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe we should organize some play time, like pinging everybody on the steam group or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hoping to start doing regular events soon.
  • baphometsayshibaphometsayshi Join Date: 2011-06-20 Member: 105543Members
    I spent a few hours last night playing this mod and I have to say that I'm impressed.

Some things I noticed though that irked me:
    Lerk is missing spine (checking the changelog it seems like it will be put back in which is good as it's one of the only counters to electrify early game)
    Abilities have weird names (Ghost/Aura/etc) Why change the names from the classic ones? It's confusing
    Ghost doesn't seem to work at all?
    Having a fourth tree seems kind of unnecessary, it would be better to just integrate the "mod abilities" (bombard/relocate/fury) into the original three trees as a fourth option IMO
    It seems like you can hive teleport without movement chambers?
    Turrets are still mono-directional instead of omni (not a big deal, but I think putting a limit of 3-4 per TF and making them omni would be a better balance change, maybe also put a minimum distance between TFs to prevent turret farming)
    The bunnyhopping is a nice touch but it might need to be toned down just a little bit

Overall though, I had a blast. Even with the current issues this mod is way more fun to play than vanilla NS2, especially for alien players and marine commanders. I look forward to seeing what else will be fixed/changed with this mod.
    <!--quoteo(post=2017026:date=Nov 9 2012, 10:15 AM:name=baphometsayshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (baphometsayshi @ Nov 9 2012, 10:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I spent a few hours last night playing this mod and I have to say that I'm impressed.

Some things I noticed though that irked me:
    Lerk is missing spine (checking the changelog it seems like it will be put back in which is good as it's one of the only counters to electrify early game)
    Abilities have weird names (Ghost/Aura/etc) Why change the names from the classic ones? It's confusing
    Ghost doesn't seem to work at all?
    Having a fourth tree seems kind of unnecessary, it would be better to just integrate the "mod abilities" (bombard/relocate/fury) into the original three trees as a fourth option IMO
    It seems like you can hive teleport without movement chambers?
    Turrets are still mono-directional instead of omni (not a big deal, but I think putting a limit of 3-4 per TF and making them omni would be a better balance change, maybe also put a minimum distance between TFs to prevent turret farming)
    The bunnyhopping is a nice touch but it might need to be toned down just a little bit

Overall though, I had a blast. Even with the current issues this mod is way more fun to play than vanilla NS2, especially for alien players and marine commanders. I look forward to seeing what else will be fixed/changed with this mod.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks for the feedback Baphometsayshi. I'm glad you are enjoying the mod. Here are some thoughts for you :).

We did some changes to electrify so they have limited energy. This means if there 2-3 skulks attacking the rt at the same time they will be able to kill the rt before they die. However a single skulk will die. Fades should also be able to kill the rts even if they are electrified.

The only ability with new name is Scent of Fear, now called Aura. The main reason is that the ability was had already been made under this name during the beta. After some consideration it seems like a more fitting name than scent of fear. We could however add information in the tooltip that it was called scent of fear before.

If we wanted to do changes to turrets we would need a modeler/animator to help us create a new model for us. However having the turrets single directional gives us the option to make them little bit more powerful without being broken. Lerk range spores also prevents the turrets from shooting allowing the aliens to close the distance. This is still left in the open and we will continue to tweak it as we move forward.

The hive teleportation without movement chambers is something that was already active in version 3.2. This gave aliens more incentive to choose something else than mc in the beginning of the game. We are using the same system in ns2:c. You can freely teleport between active hives but not growing hives. When hives are growing you can only teleport to it when its taking damage or someone uses the hive. Gorge spit on the hive also allows teleportation.

The 4th chamber was added to add something new and fresh into the game. In time we will make sure all these chambers are viable choices. Both teams will have to adapt their play style depending on the chamber chosen preventing the game from becoming to repetitive.
    Some abilities were also moved between chambers such as silence was given to shade and focus was moved to whips. I won't go into details here why these changes were made but its connected to how competitive ns1 developed throughout the years.

The other 4 new names are Ghost, redeployment, bombard and frenzy. Bombard and Frenzy are new upgrades that the whip got, the 3rd being focus. It basically a chamber that is focused on aggression and damage dealing. While focus gives you extra damage versus players bombard gives you more structural damage. If you have frenzy you gain some health and energy for every kill you get.

The Ghost ability prevents you from being detected. We still have to tweak how much detection this allows you to avoid but currently you won't be able to spot these aliens with motion tracking, in obs range or when scanning. That combined with extra cloak range on shade makes it a very powerful upgrade to keep harassment going.

Redeployment was given to the movement chamber instead of silence. This allows aliens to teleport between active shifts on the map. Currently it always teleports you to the shift furthest away from you. We have found some interesting uses for this ability but its still in the open. We want to see how the games play out a little bit before doing any more changes to it.

Currently our main focus is to get all the features in and get all the movement as good as possible, and of course having it bugfree. When that is done we will start adding some extra features and balance changes. Before we start doing some major work on balance we would like to see how well the mod plays out for awhile.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pretty much what Grissi said, the only addition I have is that currently there are some major hit detection issues (not sure if its just the higher ms or if its a bug in the mod) so some of the aliens may seem kinda OP.

Other than that please post about any bugs you find as the list of ones Im aware of isnt super long.
  • baphometsayshibaphometsayshi Join Date: 2011-06-20 Member: 105543Members
    Are there any plans to add in stuff like lerklift or unstuck? I had to give an emergency skulkevator lesson to a teammate yesterday when an onos got trapped behind some cargo crates on one of the work-in-progress maps (ns_tanith in the cargo storage area IIRC).
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2012
    Bump.
    I'm playing at this ns2c server at the moment: steam://connect/ns2cmod.com:27015
    To install the mod, subscribe to it here: <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100103964&searchtext=" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...amp;searchtext=</a>
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    Only two things that really bothered me were:

Fades adrenaline is consumed too quickly for the duration of blinking.
    Skulks feel heavy and floaty at the same time.

The rest was great.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2017504:date=Nov 9 2012, 04:29 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Nov 9 2012, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only two things that really bothered me were:

Fades adrenaline is consumed too quickly for the duration of blinking.
    Skulks feel heavy and floaty at the same time.

The rest was great.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Assuming it's the same as NS1, Blink isn't meant to be held down at all. You just tap it in short bursts to fly around.