Natural Selection Classic

2»

Comments

• MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    Downloaded yesterday but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. When I hopped onto the test server earlier there wasn't enough people to get a match started. It'll be interesting to see how the gorge building approach holds up now as much as some of us dislike the current implementation of alien comm

Also, is there a reason this is in general discussion and not in the modding subforum?
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dux might know a thing or two about playing NS1, just a hunch.

But with the most recent movement changes many of the movement abilities needed alot of adjustment, so energy usage/acceleration may still be a little off.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Played a couple rounds, it's weird, NS1 in NS2.
    Stuff happens ..slower.
    Fades are a pain again.
    Gorges spamming OCs all over.
    LMGs are rather crap.
    Was fun to do a beacon shotgun rush again.
  • noanoa Join Date: 2011-07-15 Member: 110564Members
    I can't find any of the classic servers. Are they up? I would really like to try this mod! thanks.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2017509:date=Nov 9 2012, 09:35 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 9 2012, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Assuming it's the same as NS1, Blink isn't meant to be held down at all. You just tap it in short bursts to fly around.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I may have worded this rather poorly. What I mean was that just even tapping blink ns1 style drained me quicker than a thirsty vampire.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    played a little bit, here are my thoughts
    1st, feels like adrenaline recharge is too low. also, didn't adrenaline increase recharge rate?

2nd, fury is overpowered. it's the same thing as frenzy was. terribad.

3rd, it feels like gravity gets halved once you get past a certain speed, and it's jarring. no air control or acceleration when jumping off the walls = feels bad.

pros of ns2c:

-i [sort of] like bhop
    -better performance
    -gorges build
    -no phase gate or ip pushback
    -mine radius reduced
    -xenocide <3

negatives of ns2c:
    -fades are ridonculous. one of my major beefs with ns1 was how ridiculous a fade was, a good fade could stomp an entire team.
    -dislike the lack of walljump and the floaty skulks.
    -gorges weak as ######, i prefer ns2 spit
    -hmgs are too good. same as fade.
    -sentry spam is out of control
    -2nd hive is make or break. ARCs make things unbalanced due to mobility and nerf to gorge bilebomb.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2nd hive is make or break. ARCs make things unbalanced due to mobility and nerf to gorge bilebomb.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't understand this, 2nd hive is even more important in NS2, and arcs don't move in NS2:C.
    <!--quoteo(post=2017785:date=Nov 9 2012, 09:51 PM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Nov 9 2012, 09:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't understand this, 2nd hive is even more important in NS2, and arcs don't move in NS2:C.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ah, i didn't know.

2nd hive is more make-or-break in classic since in ns2 vanilla, live players retain their 2nd hive abilities if the hive goes down. this means you can actually fight jetpackers as a skulk instead of getting facerolled. also, the smaller maps in ns2 means it's harder for the alien team to knock down an expansion once the phase gate is down, especially since it feels like most of the buildings have more health now.

oh, i forgot one more pro of ns2c: free relocations.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Why not set up a NS2:C gather on ENSL.org? This would go a long way towards getting more people playing it.

Its a really great mod and deserves a spot on ensl as far as i'm concerned.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Here's my feedback after doing some 2v2 testing.

There might be a resource bug. I was able to change lifeforms as alien with zero cost.

Resource income feels too fast (as alien in 2v2).

I think the general movement doesn't feel as good as it does in NS2, as everyone slides a lot. Maybe the friction and acceleration are too low.

Blink feels even slower than it does in NS2, which isn't very fast in the first place.

Hydras damage feel rather inadequate, and they also miss a lot.

Shotgun spread feels too wide. It takes 10 shots or so to kill a Fade at 10m distance.
  • GnubboloGnubbolo Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62793Members
    the pistol is weak, ok the lag, but i shot 10 bullets at a stuck skulk and dont die
    more damage at the pistol. +50% yes pistol is the kar98 of ns1 :D
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    While I don't necessarily like the community "split" between classic and normal players, I think this is a great step towards ns2 modding. Great job so far!
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. Going to do a small writeup that hopefully answers most of the questions :).

After 227(the patch that fixed hitreg in vanilla) we started to have hitreg problems in the mod. We have yet to figure out what caused that issue but we are hoping to figure that out before next patch. It is causing few problems such as fades surviving way to long, shotguns not doing enough damage and pistol missing random bullets.
    Adrenalin should be increasing energy gain, if that is not happening then its a bug. I'll test it when I get the chance and have it fixed next patch if its broken.
    After we did initial testing we felt that fury was by far the worst upgrade for the fade. The energy/hp gain is rather low compared the gain you get from focus. I have a feeling it worked so well for you because of the hitreg issues. However we will keep a close eye on it and tweak it if needed.
    The fades in ns2:C are also bit worse than their ns1 counterparts. They are not able to use metabolize during combat anymore making it harder to stay in the fight. Even so the fades and the HMG are pretty high tier stuff in the game. Its important that they are able to contribute as such(stronger units in an rts game).
    About gorge hp, the gorges have much more important role in ns2:c than ns2 vanilla. They should not put them self in risky situation without a reason. its a powerful support unit when used effectively. I agree though that the spit feels a bit off, seems to be something wrong the projectiles (bilebomb also feels bit off).
    The movement is one of the high priorities that is being worked on at the moment. Many abilities may have to be re-adjusted after each patch as we continue to improve it. This is just the first step of many we have to take to make it as good as possible. When the movement code is finally finished we will adjust all the alien abilities again. We will also be adding some extra features such as walljumping when its ready.
    Aliens actually have more chance in NS:C than in NS" vanilla playing on one hive. If aliens have enough adv lifeforms and resource towers they can win the marine team while they don't have access to their highest tech. But if marines do have access to heavies and jet packs you need to make sure to keep your own tech structures up an running which is the 2nd hive. There have been many times where effective alien base rushes take down the adv armory and sometimes the porto lap with it. This often puts the marines into near impossible position versus 2 hives aliens. This is part of the rts element of the game, if your main tech is taken down you have a uphill battle ahead of you.
    I do know that fighting jp's can be painful at the moment since movement and collision is not as good as it should be. It will be getting better in the future.
    We will be doing some extra adjustment to the resource flow in small games and turrets as we go forward. The core game needs some adjustments before we can really work on the balance issues.
  • ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
    edited November 2012
    Just a few questions I have after playing a couple rounds.

Why use the NS1 sounds? I understand nostalgia, and it was neat to hear those sounds again. But honestly the NS2 sounds are exceptionally more pleasing to hear.

Did you want gorges to retain bellyslide? As far as I remember they couldn't do that in NS1.

And finally why revert back to pressing E to phase? There is literally no balance reason for this. The only thing it does is make it harder for NS2 players to figure out how to play. About half of my marine team kept trying to walk through the phase gate and one actually left the server before I realized why they wren't phasing and told them how to.

Oh and skulk bunnyhop feels great but skulks are kind of floaty.

EDIT: also reasoning behind removing draw damage? I don't mind not having it, but it's nice knowing how much damage you're doing.
    also there needs to be better hit markers. earlier i played and hit a guy 4-5 times with focus and he didn't die (he said i barely scratched him).
  • [R8]DJBourgeoisie[R8]DJBourgeoisie Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62176Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018321:date=Nov 10 2012, 03:26 PM:name=Shrimm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shrimm @ Nov 10 2012, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018321"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just a few questions I have after playing a couple rounds.

Why use the NS1 sounds? I understand nostalgia, and it was neat to hear those sounds again. But honestly the NS2 sounds are exceptionally more pleasing to hear.

Did you want gorges to retain bellyslide? As far as I remember they couldn't do that in NS1.

And finally why revert back to pressing E to phase? There is literally no balance reason for this. The only thing it does is make it harder for NS2 players to figure out how to play. About half of my marine team kept trying to walk through the phase gate and one actually left the server before I realized why they wren't phasing and told them how to.

Oh and skulk bunnyhop feels great but skulks are kind of floaty.

EDIT: also reasoning behind removing draw damage? I don't mind not having it, but it's nice knowing how much damage you're doing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually prefer many of the NS 1 sounds over NS 2's and it has nothing to do with nostalgia. Just a preference really, fade sounds are much better and more satisfying in NS 1 especially but anyways, everyone has an opinion.

NS2:C is not supposed to be a 100% copy of NS 1, there are interesting things in NS 2 and bellyslide is one that was decided to be retained.

I agree about the floaty feeling, the recent official NS 2 movement updates have had negative effects on the movement in NS2:C but they are actively working to fix it.

I want to stress how happy I personally am with the job Dragon/Grissi/Eh have been doing with the mods progress. The ease at which you can bunnyhop in NS2:C is amazing considering how much practice it took to learn in NS 1. Lesser skilled players in NS 1 often complained about all the bunnyhopping because it was such a big advantage that increased the skill gap, so the ease at which anyone can do it now in NS2:C evens up the playing field a bit regarding skill based movement. It's kind of funny when I am playing the mod, having to explain how different the mechanics are to so many people I'm surprised of which have never played NS 1 and don't understand the differences. I thought for sure 99% of the player base playing NS2:C would be NS 1 players but I'm finding there to be many who have never touched NS 1.