Which does the community prefer? Alien Commander or NS1 Gorge?

AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Spare me anything else, which do you prefer?

<!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->ALIEN COMMANDER<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> or <b><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->NS1 GORGE<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b>?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Results:
<ul><li>(13 Votes) <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Alien Commander<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></li><li>(13 Votes) <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->NS1 Gorge<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></li></ul>

Okay, since some people are complaining: This is not about details. This is about concept. Don't say "I don't like Gorges building in the original, because it did this and I wanted it to do that." or "I don't like the Commander because he does this or doesn't do this." I mean the overall concept. Do you like the concept of Gorges building bases to Commanders regardless of how that is done in NS1 or could be done in NS2? CONCEPT. CONCEPT. CONCEPT. IT'S ABOUT CONCEPT. It's a shame I have to point this out.

Comments

• SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    What if I said I like both?
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    edited November 2012
    Wait what the... I voted for Alien Commander, did you switch it on me?

I change my vote of 2 to 1.

Comments:
    I just wish gorge could drop res towers with his p.res.
  • AnsomAnsom Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166364Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015105:date=Nov 7 2012, 10:56 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Nov 7 2012, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if I said I like both?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like and prefer are two different things, though.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I rather not spend my own resources to build crucial structures and wait 5 minutes+ waiting for a higher life-form to get back in the game.

Alien KOOMAHNDARE is supreme.
  • hatehate Join Date: 2011-07-19 Member: 111206Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015105:date=Nov 7 2012, 10:56 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Nov 7 2012, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if I said I like both?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you saying you're for a Bicomural system? :p
    <!--quoteo(post=2015106:date=Nov 7 2012, 10:57 PM:name=godrifle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (godrifle @ Nov 7 2012, 10:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015106"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait what the... I voted for Alien Commander, did you switch it on me?

I change my vote of 2 to 1.

Comments:
    I just wish gorge could drop res towers with his p.res.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What? I'm the only one so far who has a point toward NS1 Gorge. It's lame I have to manually do this because there's no poll option.
  • ShunnShunn Join Date: 2012-03-16 Member: 148847Members
    2 all i played in ns1 was gorge and I want him back
  • stickybootstickyboot Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25711Members, Constellation
    I prefer the commander, but I think gorges need an expanded skill set, since they have less things they can do than from NS1.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    edited November 2012
    I prefer being able to build anywhere at anytime as long as you have the money to do so... So ns1 gorge it is. But your fighting a pointless battle the devs Don't even play there own game. They don't care what people want. They just want the game to look cool like a movie. Ya know everyone likes movies. ###### cory even said that making Trailers have higher priority than polishing the game.
  • BootyPoppinBootyPoppin Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166803Members
    basically, alien comm and gorges are both pretty boring in NS2 imo.

So... Gorges of NS1.

plus introduction of Alien commander started this whole Onos drop thing, and now the game is on it's head.
  • seismicseismic Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155069Members
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Khamm is overall a better design and less of a liability compared to the NS1 Gorge, but the NS2 Gorge definitely needs more toys, like a sort if mini crag or maybe webs to assist hydras.

But I wouldn't be against the ability of Gorge to construct RTs for their team, but upgrades are best left to the Khamm.
    Might be OP, though.
    <!--quoteo(post=2015138:date=Nov 7 2012, 11:46 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Nov 7 2012, 11:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015138"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but upgrades are best left to the Khamm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol no. Why should one person decide which upgrade an entire team of <i>MUCH MORE DIVERSE</i> classes gets at a specific time? It makes sense on Marines because their upgrades are more generalized. I don't need Regeneration as a Gorge. I don't need Celerity as a Fade. Yet, sometimes I have to deal with them when I could have made the better choice myself because now the Aliens are enslaved to one person despite being a more independent team overall.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I will go with the alien commander.
  • RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    a special class of alien that can bring up the command console wherever he is and yet act like a traditional NS1 gorge

EPIC asymmetry.
  • B1llyB1lly Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26653Members
    i prefer the commander as now.
    As gorge, you can coordinate with the commander to build, anyway.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <u>I'm absolutely for the khammander.</u>
    1.) In NS1 it was a real pain in the onus when one single gorge decided what upgrades the team gets. (See what I did there?) In NS2 it is at least clear, that this one person is the kham and not a random player that dropped the DC / MC / SC first.
    2.) I like that there is some new kind of playing the game. The kham is different from the com. It is like a completely new game. I mean, it's not, that the gorge got cut out of the game. He just needs more stuff to do.

So, yeah. At the conclusion, I say. I prefer a gorge and a kham existing in the game instead of cutting the kham out. You don't make this game better, if you cut out the parts that weren't in NS1. You make it better, by improving the gorge and the kham. There are so many possibilities to make both fun.

To name just a few:<ul><li>A Nydus-Canal building for the gorge that works like a teleporter for every alien beside onos. (Needs second hive and upgrade from the kham, to balance early game.)</li><li>A ramp-up for the heal spray. It has been nerved that much, because a healing gorge in an offensive was to powerful. But healing things out of combat is boring. So make the heal spray more powerful, the longer the target wasn't damaged.</li><li>Make an kham-upgrade for the heal spray, so it does over heal to aliens giving skulks 10 or 20 Points more armor for 5 seconds. To bring the gorge near battles.</li><li>Make a kham-upgrade for the heal-spray, so it is able of reviving fallen aliens, as long as the player isn't respawned. (Would need a few heal-sprays to revive, so the gorge is vulnerable in this time.) This would be the asymmetric counterpart to marine weapon recycling. The gorge couldn't revive you, if you died in the middle of enemy marines. But if you died just around that corner with your pretty fade, the gorge there could revive you. LESS FRUSTRATING! YAY! :D</li><li>Give the gorge the ability to temporary infest a small area. This will tighten the bond between gorge and kham. Maybe you could even introduce the need for infestation to place hives again.
    </li><li>Put Leap out of the hive-2-tech-tree. A default-alien ability can never compete with spore or blink. It is obvious, that it doesn't belongs in this tech-tree, because it destroys the options you have there. Every kham will research leap first, if he has the choice. Instead create a completely new building for the skulk upgrades. If you need a second hive for this building it will be remain into mid-game.</li><li>To this new skulk-upgrade-building you can add a res-for-kill upgrade only for the skulk.</li><li>To this new skulk-upgrade-building you can add an upgrade that makes the skulk-model smaller, (maybe in 3 steps) so they scale with marine weapon upgrades.</li></ul>

<b>You see? There are so many possibilities to make the Kham AND the gorge work and fun. So stop being always in the past and get creative. You don't make things better by destroying them. Things get better by creating.</b>
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS1 gorge - Alien comm is an interesting idea, but I really do miss gorge's original purpose and I would rather gorge being able to build everything because at least the gorge has a ground view to tactically place the chambers and in NS2 could even build them on walls.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Alien Commander, because I like commanding aliens.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    My answer is : Alien commander

it needs a lot of work though...

in my opinion gorge should be able to also build these buildings : support buildings, crag ie.

alien commander needs a lot of reworks also, currently there is nothing to do as alien commander, most of your time you're just waiting resources doing nothing, because there is nothing you CAN do, you don't have to be co-ordinated with your teammates because buildings build them selves, you can't support your aliens exept with "bonewall?" and crag fast heal buff, there is literally no resource sinks as alien commander so you can plant 5min onos wich is also boring to just wait resources.

what alien commander needs :

1. only gorges are able to build buildings or they won't ever complete, exept for cysts, so you need to be co-ordinated with your team.

2. more support skills to support in combat, so skulks would be expecting you to help them just like marines are with ammo / health.

3. more important resource sinks for upgrades, all upgrades should be tiered like in ns1 that you need 3 same upgrade to have it's full potential.

but this is just my opinion, i think current alien commander feels like it's forced into the game, it's "ok" and "quite fun", but most of the time you're just waiting resources and it's flat boring.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015150:date=Nov 8 2012, 11:01 AM:name=Ansom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ansom @ Nov 8 2012, 11:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol no. Why should one person decide which upgrade an entire team of <i>MUCH MORE DIVERSE</i> classes gets at a specific time? It makes sense on Marines because their upgrades are more generalized. I don't need Regeneration as a Gorge. I don't need Celerity as a Fade. Yet, sometimes I have to deal with them when I could have made the better choice myself because now the Aliens are enslaved to one person despite being a more independent team overall.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So it's better for any player to be able to go gorge and drop an unwanted upgrade chamber and possibly griefing the game every time a new hive is built like in NS1?

And Khamms get upgrades depending on what the majority need.
    And the majority are usually skulks at that time so he goes for Celerity and Cara first.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->NS1 Gorge<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> by FAR!

At first I liked alien commander, then I realised you have to do the same thing over and over again, trying to do it as fast as possible, dealing with annoying cysts that are always buggy, trying to manage aliens without any tools to coordinate them.

Ideally I'd like a reformed NS1 gorge who can place all structures but doesn't determine what hive aliens get.
  • SounDWavE1SounDWavE1 Join Date: 2005-02-06 Member: 40096Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    NS1 Gorge ofc, I enjoyed the team work :)
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Alien Commander all the way, gorges are great in their role as onos healer and destroyers of structures, builder of walls.. :)
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    edited November 2012
    There's aspects of both I like - I never really liked how you needed people to just gorge for an RT and then go skulk again in NS1, but I don't like how limited the gorge's role is now (though they're still useful and bile bomb is amazing). Overall I'd say I probably prefer the new system but the gorge needs some love.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    edited November 2012
    I prefer the alien comm, all told. I love trying to incorporate the active-use abilities into a match in a meaningful way.

I just wish all the (non crag/shift/shade) skills were centralised and delivered by drifter, cost no resources and in doing so sacrificed the drifter. That way marines won't just get bone-walled out of nowhere and the alien comm can do interesting things like fake-out marines in a firefight and actually have a greater hand in the outcome of their minions battles anywhere on the map. I think drifters are a really cool mechanic :)

OTOH, I feel like NS2 gorge is a really underused class on the public games I play at the moment. It's really chilled out being combat medic and is a role I enjoy. Points for healing, please!
  • SafewoodSafewood Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166381Members
    edited November 2012
    Alien Commander.

<!--quoteo(post=2015197:date=Nov 8 2012, 11:06 AM:name=MuckyMcFly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuckyMcFly @ Nov 8 2012, 11:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015197"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien Commander all the way, gorges are great in their role as onos healer and destroyers of structures, builder of walls.. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    To be honest, this question is silly. You might as well ask "Do you prefer the HMG, or no HMG?".

You aren't including the negative sides of having gorges do what the commander is supposed to, namely; balance problems which are incredibly difficult to resolve. Not just "oh no we are going to have to think about this for a day or two", but problems which, throughout the entire course of NS1, plagued the devs, with seemingly no answer in sight. Thus, the alien commander was born. The alien commander IS the solution to that balance problem.