"Cheating" by disabling atmo/shadows?

HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
I know it can never really be ideal, but has anyone put thought into the issues with players getting an advantage by turning off certain settings, especially:
- atmospherics - fog can obscure things
- shadows - shadows can also obscure things, and even though the no shadows option has "burnt in" shadows, there are certain areas which are brightened by having no shadows it seems...

Comments

• DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To be honest, it's nothing a flashlight or alien vision wouldn't reveal anyway. Reminds me of days when players would crank their gamma to see in the dark.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1987186:date=Oct 4 2012, 10:18 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Oct 4 2012, 10:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be honest, it's nothing a flashlight or alien vision wouldn't reveal anyway. Reminds me of days when players would crank their gamma to see in the dark.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Flashlight would be my biggest reason for turning atmospherics off in the first place, it is great at blinding your teammates and only marginal at helping you see in the dark.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This is like saying people are cheating by having their resolution at 1920x1080 rather than 1280x720. No, its not cheating.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1987197:date=Oct 4 2012, 09:54 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 4 2012, 09:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987197"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is like saying people are cheating by having their resolution at 1920x1080 rather than 1280x720. No, its not cheating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is, actually. Having better hardware is also cheating in a sense, as well as stickers on the screen (to assist aiming, etc.). But you can't really enforce people to run a low or set resolution, use the same mouse, have the same hardware, not put stickers on their screen, etc, etc., and have the same everything - unless you're at the same physical location in some kind of scrim/tournament environment.

So, you have to draw the line somewhere.

However, what you can do is force shadows and atmospherics on, or look into the differences a little closer IMO.

One thing, for example, is how the flashlights create a cone of fog right now. I think it's pretty and cool, so I keep atmo on, but I think the opacity of the "fog" can be toned down considerably; it should also not "stack" as much with other flashlights, e.g. it shouldn't get in the way of seeing as much as it does right now. I've learned how to "see through it" but it could be turned down a little. I haven't experimented with shadows that much.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    No its not cheating. Developers add these things in cause they know people like them, by adding an option to remove it they are appeasing the people who don't want it.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1987217:date=Oct 4 2012, 10:32 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Oct 4 2012, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987217"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is, actually.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

get off your high horse. It isn't cheating because it isn't against the rules. If the rules of the game/server/tournament/league let you do it, it isn't cheating. The option is in the game, live with it or create a custom server that forces these options to be configured the way you want them to be.

In competitive play people are going to do whatever they can with in the rules to get an edge.

In public play people would prefer to be able to customize their game to remove things that bother them. In the end they are just trying to maximize the amount of fun they have with the game.

Are runners cheating when they wear shoes that fit? Seems to me that custom shoes would be an unfair advantage, lets go ahead and ban that.
  • xXSunSlayerXxxXSunSlayerXx Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159287Members
    come back with that complaint once shadows are not the biggest obstacle for a playable framerate anymore. also:
    -as an alien player, you will always see marines. they just can't hide in the dark, and even if they could there would still be alien vision.
    -as a marine player, you will always see aliens in your LoS, unless in rooms without power, which is how it should be. if you can look into really dark corners with the flashlight. aliens can't hide in the shadows, they have to hide <i>behind objects</i> to be effectively hidden.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Fix the obnoxious flashlight, problem solved.
  • havok?havok? Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152462Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Rofl at calling that cheating. So funny joke.
  • KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    I think it's pretty funny that you'd consider something that can be turned on or off in the options menu as cheating.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    It might be funny to you, but the issues are very real. It's like anything else - there's a valid use for those options, and then there's abuse. It's a problem with PC games in general; I think it was in Bad Company 2 or something else (can't remember now) where people intentionally ran low settings with configurations which were perfectly capable of handling max at 60+fps because it made the players more visible or something.

Oh well, at least make the flashlight fog less opaque and it'll be good enough I suppose -_- . A lot of other bigger things need to be handled before release too...
    It's the same thing in SC2. Most pro players play on settings that will maximize fps and tweak it so they can see cloaked units better. But it's not cheating when everyone can do it and it is allowed by the game.
    edited October 2012
    I understand that if it's an option I can do it too, but it just makes me sad that I have to turn a beautiful game into a visual crap to feel like I'm "even" with someone else who's doing it too... but it's the same with all PC games where visibility is a big part of gameplay.

<!--quoteo(post=1987222:date=Oct 4 2012, 11:41 PM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Oct 4 2012, 11:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are runners cheating when they wear shoes that fit? Seems to me that custom shoes would be an unfair advantage, lets go ahead and ban that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since you like analogies, how about car racing - a much more appropriate analogy where the competition is as much about the driver's physical skill and endurance (as in your running analogy) as much as it is about mechanical superiority? Do you think someone running a stock car would be in a fair race against someone with a racing car?

Edit: Interesting article to keep with the running theme: <a href="http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/01/amputee-sprinte/" target="_blank">http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/01/amputee-sprinte/</a>

We should agree that both analogies don't really apply well though ;-) . This is hardly a problem where the game is 95% about reflexes than it is about hiding in the shadows (e.g. counter-strike), but there's a large "non-twitch/stealth" element to NS2 - and that's heavily tied into exactly how the game looks with different options.
    Well I'd rather have a great looking game too than an ugly one just to give me an edge, but if some people do that then I don't care if that's how they want their gaming experience to be. The game allows them to do it and so I don't see how it's an issue. It's not like you can't do good when you have those settings turned on.
  • KasperleKasperle Join Date: 2004-09-29 Member: 31990Members
    U have been marked as a troll :D .
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    since its an option you could at most call it lame, but not cheating. it might have its advantages to turn it off, but you might also take longer to notice a marine entering a room with his flashlight on when you are playing alien.
    i myself turned it off for the sake of some more fps. if you consider that cheating then i hereby demand that you artifically lower your fps to my level so you cannot be considered a cheater yourself :)
    edited October 2012
    Unfortunately you demanding something from me is just as laughable as me demanding something from you.

The only thing that actually (ever?) matters is what is enforced. I enjoy my FPS just as everyone else. And yes, I do have a tech advantage over some people. Am I a cheater, in a sense, because of that? Sure. Maybe not the same severity as a cheater with a wallhack, but my hardware/resolution does give me a distinct advantage over others, especially people who get low FPS even on low settings and can't do anything about it. And because of that, they lose even though they might personally be better than me.

It's the same as calling littering a crime. It is, but not as serious as murder :-) .
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unfortunately you demanding something from me is just as laughable as me demanding something from you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it was not a serious demand, i wanted you to notice how it feels to be labled a cheater due to technical/performance reasons.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am I a cheater, in a sense, because of that? Sure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    no, you are not imo: you are not breaking the rules of the game, it is designed to run with good fps.

the only way i could consider atmospherics as cheataing is if it was enforced by UWE, but that might make it unplayable for people with certain graphic cards or low fps. i really don't think that'd be worth it: the unfairness due to fps gaps seems higher to me than some people potentially overlooking something. maybe in a few years when the game runs smooth for the vast majority of people, but only if there are no graphic card issues.
    edited October 2012
    Like I mentioned there are different degrees of cheating. Exploits are cheats too, just not as serious as e.g. aimbots. It wasn't about the label; call it "advantaged/disadvantaged" if it offends you so much.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    This thread is so funny, maybe PC gaming is not for you.
    Now please go back to xbox360.
    I despise consoles and everything they stand for, but maybe this is ONE area where having a fixed configuration is a benefit :-) .
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    Dude, go ahead, force on shadows and atmospherics, and watch half the playerbase, myself and some competitive players included, stop playing.

Here's why...

Graphics Menu (FPS) - 56
    Shadow Cost (FPS) - 17
    Atmos Cost (FPS) - 9
    GFX Menu now (FPS) - 30

Now, when I go in-game, that magical 56 FPS, turns into 40 FPS at round start. With new settings, 18FPS at game start.

Also, by disabling Shadows, I am at a dis-advantage. I used to play with shadows before performance went downhill, and I could see enemies coming because of their shadows. Turning off shadows now means I have lost that advantage. Trust me, being able to see an enemy coming round a corner is a much bigger advantage, than having a slightly brighter screen.

Just so you know, here are the other costs to my system from the GFX menu options..

AA - 6FPS
    AO - 10/23FPS (Med/High)
    Bloom - 10FPS
    Reflections - 0FPS (so I leave them on)

I have no AA and no AO. I now have a jagged screen, so I can't make out enemies at distance, because the jaggies blur scenery and hiding enemies.

You sir have no clue.

Of course, if you buy me a computer that can run the game with all the bells and whistles, I would gratefully accept and run with all bells and whistles, I love the beauty of the game, but my PC can't handle it. Of course, I doubt you are so generous as to buy me a new gaming PC, so maybe you should just go away and think before you come up with completely stupid ignorant ideas.

<!--quoteo(post=1987331:date=Oct 5 2012, 12:16 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Oct 5 2012, 12:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987331"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I despise consoles and everything they stand for, but maybe this is ONE area where having a fixed configuration is a benefit :-) .<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, you hate consoles, and you have no clue about PC gaming, maybe you should go outside and take up a real sport. Where the playing field is completely level. If you can find one of course....
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    If that is classed as cheating I must of been cheating all the way through quake and et with my config
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1987222:date=Oct 5 2012, 07:41 AM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Oct 5 2012, 07:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->get off your high horse. It isn't cheating because it isn't against the rules.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then coding a LUA aimbot pre 220 wasn't cheating either, since there was no defined rule saying aimbots weren't allowed.
    consistency checks were planned long ago though, they were just not implemented yet: there is a good reason why many people demanded them preferably earlier than later. as for it being a rule, i guess you are not suggesting UWE would have said "okay, do your aimbot we don't mind" if you had asked them back then?
    as for the graphic settings: i don't think they plan on implementing a force-atmospherics "feature" after adding a checkbox for it.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1987360:date=Oct 5 2012, 02:16 PM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Oct 5 2012, 02:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987360"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->consistency checks were planned long ago though, they were just not implemented yet: there is a good reason why many people demanded them preferably earlier than later. as for it being a rule, i guess you are not suggesting UWE would have said "okay, do your aimbot we don't mind" if you had asked them back then?
    as for the graphic settings: i don't think they plan on implementing a force-atmospherics "feature" after adding a checkbox for it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Whether it is cheating or not is irrelevant to me, I was just highlighting the flaw in his reasoning. Things like graphical settings, whether they be high, or low, gives an undeniable advantage in game. Can that advantage be feasibly negated somehow? Probably not. Is an unfair advantage the same as a cheat? Maybe, maybe not. Its definitely worth thinking about though.

Though with the massive discrepancies in frame rates, atmospheric settings really should be the least of your "cheating" worries.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Well, turn it off if you feel it gives you an edge. I wouldn't call it cheating because every user has the ability of tweaking their visuals for their advantage. If you consider this cheating, than gamma tweaking, higher resolution displays, etc would all be cheating as well.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited October 2012
    It's hilarious to think people are blasting up the gamma setting and putting stickers on the screen! XD

Why the hell would you put stickers on the screen? Is it to make the cross hair more obvious?
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited October 2012
    I wish NS2 had gamma/brightness sliders, it sucks on default in some maps there are places where it's hard to see skulks jumping around right beside you and of course anybody that wants an advantage is going to tweak it anyway to see skulks hidden in the dark.

<!--quoteo(post=1987456:date=Oct 5 2012, 11:17 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Oct 5 2012, 11:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987456"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why the hell would you put stickers on the screen? Is it to make the cross hair more obvious?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

people did this in CS 1.6 because you could not change your crosshair and the scout had 100% accuracy without needing to zoom in.
This discussion has been closed.