Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 220 released

Comments

• RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Well currently when you start the game up for the first time you want to try the aliens right, marines, meh. I can play a marine in any game but a bitey alien? Sweet.

Problem is that aliens are not in a good state, and even worse for new players there are no tips. Atleast in tribes it typically taught you the very basics of inheritance and ski momentum, game needs an intro where you get taught wall jumping, ambushing and generally useful things.

But yes, skulk especially needs addressing. It makes playing a base alien feel like such a chore when it really shouldnt. I even find myself going lerk just to get out of playing that damn class, it sets the inevitable fade back (Because really, what else do aliens have) but meh, means I dont have to play skulk.
  • ToumalToumal Join Date: 2010-05-02 Member: 71591Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1982000:date=Sep 23 2012, 11:20 AM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Sep 23 2012, 11:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But yes, skulk especially needs addressing. It makes playing a base alien feel like such a chore when it really shouldnt. I even find myself going lerk just to get out of playing that damn class, it sets the inevitable fade back (Because really, what else do aliens have) but meh, means I dont have to play skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The twitter feed mentioned that they just fixed a bug with hits from skulks not registering even though they should. So I'd say this might well not be a balancing issue after all. Let's wait for 221, I have a feeling it'll be much better for skulks then.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981848:date=Sep 22 2012, 10:11 PM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Sep 22 2012, 10:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->More likely just bad panic aiming. Skulks die horrifically easily to a shotty.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I said bad hit reg/performance... why do you have to invent things i didn't say?
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1982030:date=Sep 23 2012, 02:37 PM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Sep 23 2012, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I said bad hit reg/performance... why do you have to invent things i didn't say?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I have over 100 hours in NS2 and hit reg isnt that bad at all. Performance is your PCs problems but hitreg is fine if you pick the server properly (look at the tickrate first)
    <!--quoteo(post=1982043:date=Sep 23 2012, 02:41 PM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Sep 23 2012, 02:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982043"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I have over 100 hours in NS2 and hit reg isnt that bad at all. Performance is your PCs problems but hitreg is fine if you pick the server properly (look at the tickrate first)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have 60 hours since beta 186 and im by then till now waiting for the performance to improve and the hit reg to get better. I've seen nothing.

And no, once again, the performance problem is not the pc, is the game.....
    <!--quoteo(post=1981049:date=Sep 20 2012, 11:16 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Sep 20 2012, 11:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then why did skulks, on average, have way better K/D ratios compared to marines pre-220 and now seem more normalized?

What's next? Asking for auto-aim?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is false.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1982043:date=Sep 23 2012, 03:41 PM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Sep 23 2012, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982043"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I have over 100 hours in NS2 and hit reg isnt that bad at all. Performance is your PCs problems but hitreg is fine if you pick the server properly (look at the tickrate first)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

your post reeks of stupid.

"The twitter feed mentioned that they just fixed a bug with hits from skulks not registering even though they should. "

^^
  • Mr R0YB0T 0Mr R0YB0T 0 Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72972Members
    edited September 2012
    <b>Liked:</b>
    Draw Damage <!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->
    - Knowing for certain if you hit something and for how much is great. I fell in love with this in Borderlands.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Player Res saving<!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->
    - Functional and needed.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Increased spore cloud damage radius <!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->
    - Haven't tested this but any Lerk buffs are welcome at this point.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Crag and Shade costs reduced by 10 <!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->
    - Good so far<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Initial Harvester health increased by 10%, mature Harvester health increased by 10% (was very hard for aliens to keep alive).<!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->
    - Very much needed. I would like to see the RT blinking red on the HUD when damaged if it does not already do this.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Regeneration combat delay reduced from 8 seconds to 5 (want to see more regen). <!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->
    - Looks good so far. It makes the pacing feels less lethargic.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Slowdown with Carapace removed (drawbacks are implicit in choices, not within traits themselves). <!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->
    - This works.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Tightened Lerk spike accuracy (supposed to be in 219). <!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->
    - Lerks still need more of a buff but this does help.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<b>Hated:</b>
    Skulk bite range reduced by 20% (skulk domination, this is much closer to NS1). <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->
    - This needs to be fixed. This might work during LAN play but not online. It is currently too hard to bite marines.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ToumalToumal Join Date: 2010-05-02 Member: 71591Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1982305:date=Sep 24 2012, 10:08 AM:name=Mr R0YB0T 0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr R0YB0T 0 @ Sep 24 2012, 10:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982305"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Hated:</b>
    Skulk bite range reduced by 20% (skulk domination, this is much closer to NS1). <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->
    - This needs to be fixed. This might work during LAN play but not online. It is currently too hard to bite marines.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It might be a good thing to read the thread first. It's a bug.

See <a href="https://twitter.com/NS2/statuses/249213170135228419" target="_blank">https://twitter.com/NS2/statuses/249213170135228419</a>
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    Played this build about 5 hours now.Had some very intense games.
    Great patch !
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I don't see why the NS2 skulk should have the same bite range as NS1 skulk.

NS2 skulk is bigger and slower than NS1, giving marines an easier time at hitting it. Therefore either make it much tougher, or make it easier for aliens to hit with bite.
  • OkazakiOkazaki Join Date: 2008-01-29 Member: 63532Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1980605:date=Sep 20 2012, 07:43 AM:name=Morshu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Morshu @ Sep 20 2012, 07:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980605"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->for the most part if the marines move out in force to a specific spot, then the aliens can usually beat them to it by hitting a PG elsewhere or even a marine controlled tech point and the marines will either have to bite the bullet and go all in or beacon back and start all over again.

If anything make the sentry turrets work like in NS1: 360 degrees firing arc doing little damage and put a cap on it like 2 per CC/techpoint room and I'm sure it would be great even if it is simple as that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this^

altough 180º would be enough...
  • n0_FXn0_FX Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9304Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well, at first i was like "omg, ###### this patch, what have they done to my fav. team/race?". But after playing awhile, i've noticed some good changes in my playstyle.

Skulk: I don't spam "bites" anymore, I'm using bite more like a close-range Shotgun, and it works like a charm. Yeah, it's hard like hell as skulk at the moment, but i think its more a marine problem (upgrades are too cheap/fast). maybe change the bite kone some degree's.

Fade: Hell, I was really pissed after the adrenaline nerf. It felt so wrong after the first few matches. But after a while, i've changed my fade style too. celerity + regen + hit/run-tactics = awesome. Period. :D (well, adrenaline is some kind of useless now). Shadow step should be free though...

So, i guess its a good build. They should fix the Hitbox/Lag stuff now, i hate it when i'm getting shot around the corner (while running away).
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited September 2012
    So 221 today I heard?

n0_FX bite cone reduced yes, but they acknowledges a bug with skulk bite too.
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
    Ah people need to not get me excited. Who said 221?? WHERE!?
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1983473:date=Sep 26 2012, 07:05 PM:name=DanielD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanielD @ Sep 26 2012, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983473"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah people need to not get me excited. Who said 221?? WHERE!?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

in yesterday's Dev Q&A they said they were hoping for a Tuesday release for 221, but they still had serious bugs so I'm assuming they haven't fixed them yet since it's not out yet. Hopefully this week, but that's just assumption based on what they've said and I have no facts about it.
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
    Ah ok, thanks for the info.
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    Taken from the "Design Mantras" in the NS2 Wiki:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Avoid hidden modifiers, eg, bad: shotgun does double damage to lerks<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Build 220:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->•Corrosive damage is 2x as effective vs. Exos (bile bomb).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm also on the same boat as many with the skulk difficulty. And the good point as been made that with this build, skulk becomes much too difficult for new players to grasp, and they might feel overwhelmed/discouraged from playing aliens with that kind of a first impression.

Also taken from the Design Mantras:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Easy to learn, difficult to master<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • shadershader Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1983258:date=Sep 26 2012, 09:33 AM:name=n0_FX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (n0_FX @ Sep 26 2012, 09:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, i guess its a good build. They should fix the Hitbox/Lag stuff now, i hate it when i'm getting shot around the corner (while running away).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Shot around a corner" is a side effect of lag compensation. You were out in the open when the other person hit fire, but the message didn't reach you until you'd run around the corner.

Basically you can have "shot around a corner" occasionally, or everyones has to lead their targets like in Quake 3 and before.

Unless you mean the issue with skulks where the model pokes out in front of your "eyes", so it can look to you like you are hidden in a vent, when in fact marines can see a little bit of the front of you.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Taken from the "Design Mantras" in the NS2 Wiki:

Avoid hidden modifiers, eg, bad: shotgun does double damage to lerks

Build 220:

•Corrosive damage is 2x as effective vs. Exos (bile bomb).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's probably because they failed to fix onos, so they gave aliens something to compensate for onos "the siege busters" abysmal status.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    Right now its too easy to be a good marine, and too hard to be a good alien.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    Still no patch? :( I have officially given up on playing aliens this build, the combination of woeful skulk mechanics and sloppy performance make it unbearable. I generally always find myself with the most atrocious KDRs, yet several patches ago I would often be on top of the leaderboard as a skulk. That's not to say I was anything close to a 'pro', but I certainly used to do and deserve to do better.

Doesn't help that playing gorge is just as frustrating, for other reasons. Overall it's a mind-numbing experience and I don't get why anyone would enjoy playing this class. Upto the point where you get bilebomb you're just a ###### healing station, with 3 ###### hydras that cost p.res and neither you nor your hydras have survivability or proper dps to scare off anything more than a single marine whatsoever.

Then there's the lerk, I'm not even getting started on that one.

I don't think the aliens have ever been in such a dire condition as in this build, they're simply not enjoyable to play early game. Here's hoping 221 will be a significant step forward again. (I'm well aware they said they will fix some bug with the skulk, but Charlie still said it will be worse than in 119, meaning the improvement may still be insignificant)
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981867:date=Sep 22 2012, 06:53 PM:name=Samus1111111)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Samus1111111 @ Sep 22 2012, 06:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981867"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I completely agree here. I don't know if giving fades blink as their starting ability would be good, but I do think that something needs to be done to allow aliens to be at least semi-viable on 1 hive. Mid to late game, if aliens get knocked back to 1 hive, there's not much they can do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

im literally dumbfounded by your post. congrats.

marines take alien team to 1 hive, which means they were the more aggressive, dominant team. holding and controlling areas,, getting upgrades and winning the fight

and this is a problem?

what more do you people need, you dont even need a cyst train or a gorge to drop a hive anymore! the entire point to dropping more hives is for the alien team to evolve into better fighters. if you get a hive and lose it , then your team wasnt better than the marines and you shouldnt get rewarded or get some built in babysitting mechanic for being outplayed. if aliens cant beat upgraded marines on one hive i guess its time to put on the big girl draws and protect your hives then right? its thinking like your post that has delayed this game patch after patch after patch. how many ideas are gonna be added and removed instead of applying logic and critical thinking first.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sad that one can't really read your posts VeNeM. (At least I don't bother anymore.) Sad, because you may write some useful stuff between all this hate and insults.

@Xarius: While it is harder as skulk to hit a marine (mostly because of the collision-system) I don't see aliens lose this often in 220 as you propose. Yeah, it isn't that much fun in early game as aliens now, but I think the next patch with bigger bitecone and maybe another collision system will do it. I mostly agree on your judgment about the gorge. It isn't really fun to play him too. But Lerk seems ok to me. Spores are very powerful and the lifeform itself isn't that fragile.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    I never implied aliens are losing a lot of games, I simply stated that they're incredibly frustrating to play. I regularly see alien teams with the majority of the players having a negative KDR, marine teams more often than not all have positive or neutral KDRs. Marine teams generally don't or can't always exploit this fact however, usually they're content with their share of the map and don't press the advantage. So aliens can usually stay somewhat in the game until fades come out, at which point they again have a REAL shot of winning the game. Marines COULD be winning a lot more games in my opinion... I command a lot of games, I probably command more than I play either side (certainly with aliens at the moment) and I can assure you my success rate as a marine commander is MUCH higher than it is as an alien one. If you realise this advantage and you exploit it by keeping your team together, there's no stopping even a semi-good marine team.

I do hope 221 means a significant improvement for skulk play, but I have all the reason to be skeptical.

As for the lerk, I simply can not agree with the whole bite + spikes at T1. Not only does it effectively take away the lerk's support role at T1, both the spike and the bite are disappointing weapons for a 30 p.res lifeform. As it stands, lerks are hard-countered by shotguns, primarily because of their lower survivability (which in turn is due to the increased performance and hit reg marine players enjoy). Improving the spike is a necessity, but I doubt that alone would do the trick. They already promised fixes for 221, so I guess we will have to wait and see.

I do hope they bring back gas on T1 though. Having 2 anti-players right off the bat seems pointless, you hardly ever use both, certainly not if spikes are going to be improved. Gas at T1 allowed the lerk to perform a powerful support and area denial role. Most commanders don't bother researching it until very late in the game since there's simply much more important things to research. Spikes at T2 was perfect, since it's somewhat of the equivalent of the shotgun and aliens can easily get a quick second hive if they want to unlock spikes faster.
  • ChronibisChronibis Join Date: 2012-08-26 Member: 156498Members
    any chance we can get the amount of votes needed to eject the commander to more than 3??? its ridiculous!
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1983740:date=Sep 27 2012, 11:30 AM:name=Chronibis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chronibis @ Sep 27 2012, 11:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->any chance we can get the amount of votes needed to eject the commander to more than 3??? its ridiculous!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It should be based on team size. In a 6 player team, 3 is 50%, but in a 12 player team, 3 is only 25%. It should be ~50% regardless of the team size.
  • ChronibisChronibis Join Date: 2012-08-26 Member: 156498Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1983741:date=Sep 27 2012, 10:31 AM:name=Samus1111111)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Samus1111111 @ Sep 27 2012, 10:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It should be based on team size. In a 6 player team, 3 is 50%, but in a 12 player team, 3 is only 25%. It should be ~50% regardless of the team size.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

exactly! it should be based on team size but to me it seems like its 2 or 3 people that can do it regardless of how many players are actually on the team. im getting voted out for no reason and its not like im not a bad commander. you can never really tell how many votes are being cast either, there should be a poll that pops up or something. i agree it should be at least half the team to vote out the comm.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1981867:date=Sep 22 2012, 05:53 PM:name=Samus1111111)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Samus1111111 @ Sep 22 2012, 05:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981867"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I completely agree here. I don't know if giving fades blink as their starting ability would be good, but I do think that something needs to be done to allow aliens to be at least semi-viable on 1 hive. Mid to late game, if aliens get knocked back to 1 hive, there's not much they can do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If marines get knocked back to 1 chair, there's not much they can do either - except die. And that's how the game is won. ;-)

What I don't like about the game is that marines get no benefit for owning 3 chairs, whereas some of the most powerful alien abilities (stomp, umbra) require 3 hives.

It seems somewhat unbalanced. Perhaps marines shouldn't be able to get, say exos or grenade launchers or level 3 weapons/armor (or all 3) without 3 chairs?
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1983765:date=Sep 27 2012, 12:07 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Sep 27 2012, 12:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1983765"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If marines get knocked back to 1 chair, there's not much they can do either - except die. And that's how the game is won. ;-)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Note: I haven't had a ton of time to play recently. Some of what I know might have changed. Please correct me (respectfully) if anything I say is wrong.

No, on 1 chair, marines keep all weapon and armor upgrades. They keep all advanced weapons. The only things they lose are JPs/exos and possibly robotics facility things (although I'm not 100% sure on that one). This allows them to keep fighting and possibly push out and re-take ground.

If aliens are knocked down to 1 hive, they have 1 upgrade slot and only 2-3 upgrades to choose from. They lose all abilities such as leap which are pretty vital against upgraded marines. They lose the ability to build crags/shifts/shades based on which hive they have left (and the inability to change that hive's type). They basically lose all of the things that make aliens viable mid to late game.

Not to mention the fact that a chair costs 15 tres while a hive costs 40 tres. When on one hive/chair, you typically only have 1 RT meaning that you have very limited tres. It's a lot easier to get 15 than 40 meaning marines can potentially get a second chair up much faster than aliens can get a second hive (let alone a third).